The online racing simulator
UK LFS Karting 2006 - Details
(330 posts, closed, started )
14 days to go fellas!!

tristan, shifty says he can come for sure
At least I'm not planning on sleeping on his floor this year!
Heh Bob, we all know ur just a fat b*****d .... and if there are any cookies at the event well the're ours muhahahaha. Will need to keeep Bob away from them!!!!

Your our heaviest team member too!!!

who ate all the pies bob.. or in your case cookies!!!!
Okay, Bob can be removed from the 'Cookie List' if I get enough votes.

tristancliffe voted to remove Bob Smith. Press 1 to vote.
So I see. I would remove tristancliffe_is_batty from the cookie list, but he probably lacks the intelligence to eat one anyway. I can't wait to see how this develops. I bet he thinks I'll be annoyed or scared, but to be honest it's nearly as hilarious as the stupid ricer turbo mod I'm doing at work.
ok fellas ive given all your cheques in today and its all sweet

unfortunatly for me, ive busted my ribs BADLY in testing today, so i cant drive a 2 stroke kart for 2 months, and i may even be unable to do the race on july 1st if i find my ribs are too bad in the practise session.....
Madman, just remember what you looked like 5 years ago. Quite the tubby, eh? OK, so now I'm the fat one. But I like my cookies. Everyone has to eat crisps around Madman and go "mmm mmm", and dribble (a shame TAA can't make this one).

@Will - bah.
LOL Bob... they say the best way to defend is to attack.... So, u traying to say i have a crisps problem?

and me being tubby 5 years ago can be looked at as being due to body growth while you are now beyond the fase of really growing (well apart from sideways)
Hey, my arse is growing backwards too you know.

Anyway some Geordie bird called me slim the other weekend, so I wear it well.
went to the doctor today

ive cracked a rib and i have to be off work for a week.

BOLLOCKS :grumpy:
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :went to the doctor today

ive cracked a rib and i have to be off work for a week.

BOLLOCKS :grumpy:

oh my goodness. I hope you heal fast and don't hurt too much.

~*~*~*tinyk~*~*~*~
Man thats bad luck Will still would like to see you at the meeting maybe try the practace session and if it hurts too much then dont race.
Or race for a shorter time than the others, would be a huge shame if you couldnt come :-(

didnt DC race in spain with two cracked ribs? not saying its a good idea though, he was a loony for doing it.
yea, i would race with it, it would hurt but i could still drive (with very bad concentration around right handers) but if i dont let it rest i wont be able to return to 2 stroke racing, and thats my main priority. Also i might have a condition which could give me a collapsed lung if im not careful.....

im gunna be bored with my week off work but ill deffo be along to the meeting.
Damn...so that's one less on our team then
maybe one less, i could pack the seat with foam and see how it goes. pro karts dont skip, and thats what does the damage. ill probs do praccy and see how it goes... man it sucks :S
Wondered what had happened when I saw you sign into MSN with 'cracked rib'....nasty stuff, hope it gets better soon!
Have you got my cheque yet Tristan? Should arrive at your place soon as I sent it earlier in the week
he has m8
You two got a telepathic link or something :P...Glad he's got it
he was in my house when i typed it

he was testing my 2 stroke

EDIT - Hes already famous lol, check him out
http://www.karting1.co.uk/news/
Yup, Will just posted what I said. I have your cheque sitting on my desk at work.

TKM's - where to start...

Firstly - my car isn't big enough for all the stuff (like a kart trolley).
Secondly - the chassis is, to quote Will "f*****g badly f****d up"

So we arrive at Whilton at about 9am. We then, using my tools and the jack from my car, proceed to build the kart up - wheels, sprokets, engine, chain etc. Getting is right took a bit of time, as I've not played with a kart before and Will's rib weren't doing him an favours.

Missed the first session as we weren't ready. Got out for the second 10 minute session. Bump started it with Will's friend, and off I went. It's so fecking quick. I've driven some fast cars in my time, but this was, relatively, the fastest thing yet. F1 drivers talk of thinking about the following corner rather than the one they are in, but I was still thinking about the last corner. I was reacting to the kart rather than predicting it. And it was oversteer city for me, although we later diagnosed it as aggressive steering inputs from me overloading the chassis and bucking the rear wheel in the air suddenly. I spun once after about 4 laps and stalled. Will was about to come and get me when I hopped out, lifted the back of the kart and started it by myself. A few laps later, maybe 3, I spun again but this time on an uphill bit. I tried to start it, but it didn't catch, tried again and my legs collapsed. I was so tired, not just physically but mentally too, but I hadn't realised until the adrenaline started to wear off...

So endeth the first session.

We then missed the next session as Will and Mickey left to pick up a trolley, leaving me to struggle with the chain tension with the kart balanced on a car sissor jack. I succeeded, sort of (it was a bit tight), but considering the kart fell off the jack twice trapping my arms underneath the chassis/engine (yes, both arms, and lifting is really hard with your hands palm down underneath something like that whilst on your knees) I felt I did okay. I then had a quick snooze whilst I waited.

By the time they got back it was lunch, so we had a drink, chatted about what I was doing wrong (steering and braking mainly ). Then we kicked the tyres and set off to the dummy grid for Mickey to have a session. He was okay once the tyres warmed up, and was keeping pace with some of them, but a wire came off the coil and he stopped in front of us. At least the kart was driveable, meaning the problems were caused by me.

Another 'break' then back to the grid for my second go. Only this time the head marshall decided he knew my face, and that I was an experienced karter, so he sent me to the front. Before my first go, without knowing what to expect, I was only a bit nervous. Now, at the front, with 25 karters 5 seconds a lap quicker than me behind me I was crapping myself. At the start I let as many through as I could, got barged off my someone who thought I was being slow on purpose, and spent the whole lap on the marbles. At the last turn of the out lap I got a big oversteer moment, overcorrected and went head first into a pile of woodchippings. Again Will thought it was over. But I leapt out, restarted (took two goes becase I missed the throttle pedal the first time ) and carried on Three corners later I spun again, this time terminally as there was too much traffic for me to restart At this stage I was pretty convinced that instead of me being slow because of 90% me and 10% kart, the kart had got worse and was now the main factor. It was SO oversteery. Not even slightly like the first session.

Tail between my legs (although I didn't get heckled by spectators this time) I skulded off to the pits.

Third and final go - in the pits, this time back at the back where the pressure was off me. Started the kart, went off taking it easy to warm the tyres and get used to it again, and I spun by the third corner. Grrr, so I restarted AGAIN (getting good at this now), and carried on. Kart was still very very oversteery, even though I was being much less aggressive with the controls, but I was just about hanging on to it now (I'm still convinced something happened to the chassis between my first and second go, probably lifting it onto the trolley). Then the black/orange flag was waved at me, and I saw the airbox trumpet lying in the track - it had been knocked off as I jumped in whilst leaving the pits. So, tail even further between my legs, I headed slowly to the pits (but not so slow to oil up Will's engine).

So, it was overwhelming, tiring, embarrasing, fun and boring all in the same day. Did I learn anything from it - only to be more commanding of the brake pedal and smoother on the steering. Will it turn me from mid-grid karter to winner next weekend - no way, I'll be 0.2 seconds quicker than I was AT BEST, probably less than 0.1. Was it worth it (the day cost me about £130 once I paid Will £60 for engine expenses, travelled there, eaten and drunk, and got back) - probably not, but that's my fault. Would I go again - hell yes!

I just need time to get used to it. Prokarts are much much slower and are positively tame in comparison - it's actually a pretty poor example of what proper karts are about. I now have a bit more respect for karters than I did, although I'm convinced a lot of the engineering is done 'the way it's always done' rather than anyone daring to be different, and I'm sure I could think of one or two improvements given time and experience.

See you next week for the concluding episode of "What will Tristan hit this time when he spins".

Edit: Did I mention that the seat was about 10 sizes too small for me, and I had to sit diagonally in it to fit (which is why I look odd in Will's photos).
I totally know what you mean when you talk about the acceleration. I remember laughing outloud in my helmet constantly for 3 laps the first time I drove one :P People who aren't karters scoff and smirk when I tell them that 2 stroke karts are fast, but in all honesty, the only car I've ever driven that felt the same was an Elise 111R.

I was amazed just how different a TKM was to the pros I'd only driven before. The throttle response was instant (resulting in some rather embarassing spins the first time) and they require so much more of a delicate touch than a Pro. You'll be pleased to know that you don't loose the ability to drive a Pro though :P They just seem insanely easy forever after! LOL

It's only now after 3 seasons of Club100 that I can honestly say I'm fully at home in a TKM and 'on the pace'. I've steadily improved by half a second every year until I was able to win my first race at Buckmore halfway through the season :P If you're anything like me....you'll get rapidly better just after you start driving them a lot....then you'll stop improving and it'll seem like you're never going to find the final few tenths. Then for some reason all of a sudden it starts to seem really easy and you can inexplicably go a hell of a lot faster
its a shame that you didnt get those final sessions, because you didnt get a chance to try to be smoother, you hardly got any laps on warm tyres after the 1st session

like i said tristan, you can see how TINY things affect the chassis, and a broken bumper and a crack in the chassis is a MASSIVE thing that affects the kart a huge amount, so obviously it will do funny things, especially when you overdrive it.

it looked to me, like i said at the end of the day that the chassis crack got bigger. maybe it happened when we bumpstarted it for your session???? also, remember we pumped up the front right tyre, so that would lift the inside rear wheel more. im going to take the engine apart so i can see if it seized or something.

like i said on PMs when we were organising it, it would have been better to go on a wednesday. imagine how many sessions u could have done!

but u will be ALOT faster on pro karts. not 0.2, try 0.5, aslong as u are smooth and drive to the limit. u might not think so now but after u drive one and get out and see your times u will be surprised at how close to the leaders times u are.

maybe not close to midget mickey tho...
This thread is closed

UK LFS Karting 2006 - Details
(330 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG