The online racing simulator
Quote from Stölzel :Only one Question:
It is possible to make the Chalk Line 2 and other things like the humps so that we can change the size and make barriers colorable?

No.

Quote from Trekkerfahrer :Hi Scawen, are you able to add following as autocross objects for the final version?

- kerbs
- tyre walls
- higher versions of the armco

Kerbs would be great, because if we build chicanes or we change the apex of a corner, we would be able to make it better visible without placing too much objects.

No, what you really need is a track editor.

Quote from [Audi TT] :I do not know what version LFS me hotlaping) in 0,5 z28 with the ability to upload replays or 0.6 A1 where there is a warmer tires, but you can not download hotlaps.
Sorry for off top

For uploading : use Z28. For testing, use A1 so we know it works well, but please don't expect to be able to upload them, ever. Most probably you'll have to use 0.6B. If you can wait a week, I expect you will have no more problem.

Quote from joordy599 :Scawen, can u make more speed limmits than 80 km/h and 50 km/h, i like this firat version too but this is just a idea, maybe can u unlock the highway in Sounth City?

No. No requests please, just bug reports.
Quote from Scawen : If you can wait a week, I expect you will have no more problem.

On the z28 will hotlapping. Ah when will the LFS 0.6b then begin again
Thank you again for a job.

Bmxtwins
Problem has been resolved?
Quote from [Audi TT] :Maybe this will help.
LFS\data\abc

no i backed up that file. But Scawen right all my dds files were missing
Quote from Scawen :Clip mouse to window : CTRL+C ?

Seem to works fine, but then i did this:

When LFS window loses focus (ex: ), and the gained again, Clip mouse dosn't works anymore. you have to hit again CTRL+C to DEACTIVATE and hit it one more time to REACTIVATE
#155 - Uke
When has Scawen gained that sarcastic tone?
i suspect he is either overwhelmed, or just a little bit ticked off, i just woke up and had 2 pages to read, i suspect he had some enormous read also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgY_CoHhU4w

why is LFS so laggy? I mean, look at this video, I'm playing with my brother in a room next to me, both with good computers (getting like more than 100fps) with a 100mb/s lan connection, and... it's lagged! 1x1 on lan on LFS, is more laggy that a online server with 128 players around the world in BF2 for example.... but, why??
Quote from Bmxtwins :no i backed up that file. But Scawen right all my dds files were missing

There is a good option at this time to put another LFS. One z28, another test version.
The update that would make me more satisfied is not a physics update, neither is it a graphics update, nor content update, but netcode update.

We know it's possible to do better, we have plenty of other examples out there, so, I beg you, please, fix the warping.
Quote from Specht77 :why is LFS so laggy? I mean, look at this video...

It looks ok to me. But you have not told us what you set /pps (Packets Per Second) to, so we don't know what we should expect to see.

I hope you know that, because of course you should explore the settings before requesting a code update. On a local network, with few players and good computers, you might as well use the maximum pps.
I was with 10 or 12 packets per second when recorded this MPR, don't remember exacly... I remember it was the maximun that Z28 allow on local server

And what I mean is, it's too spiky, I could be smoother...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jMEek58Nl8

I recorded this video too, I was playing with some friends from other cities and you can see that no car are 'teleporting' like the video from LFS on lan, and the 'spiky teleporting' is even worse on online servers...

edit: and you can see the ping from the cars on the side of their names, on lan is like 1ms, in this video, one is almost 120ms... and looks less laggy
The LAN video was basically just an example, we want the online code to be made smoother, I'm not a coder so I can't really get into details, but there must be some ways to smooth things out, iRacing is an example, it's not perfect, but the car doesn't teleport to a new location everytime a packet is received.
Quote from Specht :iRacing is an example, it's not perfect, but the car doesn't teleport to a new location everytime a packet is received.

Yet you get car contact (4x) or you can also take someone out even if you don't touch him, thanks to their netcode!
Quote from RenvoN :Yet you get car contact (4x) or you can also take someone out even if you don't touch him, thanks to their netcode!

Their netcode is still far better than LFS, you don't see cars flashing back and forth every second.
Quote from mutt107 :Their netcode is still far better than LFS, you don't see cars flashing back and forth every second.

I beg to differ. To my knowledge LFS doesn't use any kind of smoothing so you always see a car where it really is as far as your computer is computer is concerned. iR and company try to smooth things out a bit which leads to these ghost collisions, 'cause the car is not exactly where you see it.
There is a way to interpolate a car's movement smoothly from where your computer did think it was going to be, to where it now thinks it is going to be. So you can avoid the apparent small glitches but the other cars still do little strange sliding motions instead. And I've got another possible way to improve the prediction from your computer so it can make a better estimate of how many packets it needs to send for your car, so minimising the error between position packets. I'm interested to give that a go one day but it's a big bit of work and will not be in this patch.

This patch is not for improving any aspects of LFS that have not already been done in this test patch. It will be as it is now but with the bugs fixed.
Quote from Scawen :There is a way to interpolate a car's movement smoothly from where your computer did think it was going to be, to where it now thinks it is going to be. So you can avoid the apparent small glitches but the other cars still do little strange sliding motions instead. And I've got another possible way to improve the prediction from your computer so it can make a better estimate of how many packets it needs to send, so minimising the error between position packets. I'm interested to give that a go one day but it's a big bit of work and will not be in this patch.

This patch is not for improving any aspects of LFS that have not already been done in this test patch. It will be as it is now but with the bugs fixed.

Thank you, Scawen, I really appreciate that you will at least look into this someday, LFS is still my favorite racing sim, and that problem was bugging me for a while, and I'm sure I'm not the only person out there who would really like an improvement in this area.
Quote from Specht77 :I was with 10 or 12 packets per second when recorded this MPR, don't remember exacly... I remember it was the maximun that Z28 allow on local server

And what I mean is, it's too spiky, I could be smoother...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jMEek58Nl8

I recorded this video too, I was playing with some friends from other cities and you can see that no car are 'teleporting' like the video from LFS on lan, and the 'spiky teleporting' is even worse on online servers...

edit: and you can see the ping from the cars on the side of their names, on lan is like 1ms, in this video, one is almost 120ms... and looks less laggy

to me it looks like that in your youtube movie from in your previous post. that you are sitting on-board at the non-local car. this means that you will see this car moving every frame with the speed / steering from the last packed.
Every second there will be 10 ~ 12 (Packets / second) corrections on this position movement.

if you will send more packets this will make the car move better.

@ Scawen, hope im correct , but to me it looks like:P

Quote from mutt107 :Their netcode is still far better than LFS, you don't see cars flashing back and forth every second.

Lets not start that Discussion here. about witch netcode is better. because most lfs'ers wont agree!

Maybe it is because in iR you mostly play with people from US which have decent PC's & internet connection, while in LFS most racers are from europe?
You may do it yourself, shout 'Where are you from from?'
Thanks Scawen

Quote from MadCatX :I beg to differ. To my knowledge LFS doesn't use any kind of smoothing so you always see a car where it really is as far as your computer is computer is concerned. iR and company try to smooth things out a bit which leads to these ghost collisions, 'cause the car is not exactly where you see it.

You say like LFS don't have ghost collisions... I saw plenty of times people saying "you hit me" and the other say "I didn't, you can look at the replay" and you go to the replay, and for example in a braking part, the car in front is like thrown away, like the car in the back didn't brake, bit it did brake and don't suffer anything

hotmail, in the first tape, it was onboard of my brother's car, in the last tape, it was onboard in my car...
Quote from Uke :When has Scawen gained that sarcastic tone?

he mad and stressed

You sir, have not played iRacing (long enough)
Is there any way to query all loaded objects by insim?

I tried with a TINY_AXI, but it returned nothing.
The answer is to use /axsave and parse the layout.
Or have your insim connected before the track loads.

(See thread in programming section)
Error, the car in the car. time on repeat 7:54. Watch form [Audi TT]
Attached files
O_o.mpr - 990.7 KB - 306 views
This thread is closed

Test Patch 0.6A1 (old content / old physics / many updates)
(304 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG