The online racing simulator
Minecraft
(2685 posts, started )
Quote from Uke :What's the fun if there's nothing trying to ruin your epic buildings? ;<

I'll blow up your building for you, brb.
Could you please add 'TypeRacing' to whitelist ?
Quote from DevilDare :Yeah I am still new to mods and whatnot.

Is there such thing that could generate simple flat land?

Yep, but it takes a little while. Put me into an area and it goes flat. On a related note: There used to be a mountain near my house. Now, it is gone and I left someone's house up there intact. Don't know who it belongs to but you can still reach it : >
Quote from DevilDare :Yeah I am still new to mods and whatnot.

Is there such thing that could generate simple flat land?

If you're talking about singleplayer, I recommend MCEdit. You can generate a completely flat land from scratch or open up a save and do some landscaping. Clone, replace, generate, delete.... it's all possible.

http://davidvierra.com/mcedit.html
I found a dungeon in single player fairly close to my base camp. It spawns skeletons at a pretty fast rate. I've got this nice lava-trap that allows me to farm arrows and bones quite easily! I don't even have to be at my computer!

Now, I just need to find a dungeon on the server....
I will be doing a video on my current project soon. Basically I'm going to create an underground forest, complete with rivers and waterfalls. So far it's just a patch of grass that has a pig spawn in it, so everytime I go down there I have to kill a bunch of pigs to start work. But it's next to my wheat farm and I made a giant tree on the entrance.
I had a nice idea for a project, but it would require about 10 like-minded people and an incredible amount of materials. I was thinking about making a structured city with set rules for construction. So practically speaking: a road in the centre, 6 wide, with a 3 wide sidewalk on either side (road and sidewalk cobblestone, edge of sidewalk stone slabs)
Then there'd be specified lot sizes for player constructions, perhaps 10x10 or 10x15, all 3 or so tiles away from the sidewalk, with grass seperating the house from the sidewalk. Player houses could have set limits on height, and all buildings should consist of certain materials to maintain consistency across the city. Also, the city should be entirely flat to prevent practical issues.

So in essence, by defining a set of specific rules for building we could create a walled city of perhaps as much as 250x250 tiles, fully lighted and sufficiently shielded off from monsters. Our own little structured safe-zone.
With a list of defined rules we could easily create a basic 2d map and post it, then anyone and everyone could work on the city whenever they have time. It could have a park, city hall, church tower and maybe 10-20 player houses. Really enthusiastic players could expand the public facilities by adding a sports arena or statues etc.

To me it sounded like a great idea, but I'm also obsessed with order and rules for building, so I can imagine that I might be the only one interested :P
Quote from Jertje :To me it sounded like a great idea, but I'm also obsessed with order and rules for building, so I can imagine that I might be the only one interested :P

No you're not, count me in
Quote from Jertje :Really enthusiastic players could expand the public facilities by adding a sports arena or statues etc.

I was actually already planning on building a full scale hockey arena in the near future. Its going to be massive though, I built a not-to-scale football arena on another server I used to play on and it was absolutely huge. I would have no problem building this within the confines of your city though.
Quote from morpha :No you're not, count me in

Same here. I am good in following instructions : >

Come up with a building plan and we will get to work : D

Did anyone see my house yet : > it is big and it will grow. Watch out for the little cave, it ends in lava.
Woo! The mob spawner/killer is working :-)

I've killed a cow and a pig so far. I had to change the kill method from lava to water though, as it was burning all the items..
Quote from Crashgate3 :Woo! The mob spawner/killer is working :-)

I've killed a cow and a pig so far. I had to change the kill method from lava to water though, as it was burning all the items..

lol
I also have a monster killer but mine doesn't seem to work on pigs, they just slide right under it. We need mobs back on so I can start collecting the good stuff though.
Make a map please
Alright, I haven't created a map yet since I'm a fan of group projects and I believe this entire city can be freeformed to some extent; that is, within the rules we decide upon.

What I did make is a basic example of road/lot and how they can be connected.

The system I had in mind works by taking 10x10 as the standard (and strictly speaking, the minimum) size of a 'piece' on the map. The attached image shows this, where one stretch of road is 10x10 (3 sidewalk, 4 road, 3 sidewalk)
It's important to note that the sidewalk is 1 block higher than the street, and that the street and sidewalk are made up out of cobblestone, and the edge of the sidewalk out of 2 stone slabs (as coloured on the map)
All lots (player and public) are at sidewalk level, making the roads the only -1 height areas in the city.

On the top left side of the picture you see a standard-size lot, with 2-wide grass around the house. I suppose you can plant flowers there - I would keep trees in a special park-style lot which is basically 10x10 green.
As you might notice, this lot can be connected to any stretch of 10x10 road, which makes the whole ruleset simple to maintain: if you end up with a house that's longer than the stretch of road next to it, you made a boo-boo

The bottom of the picture has an example of how to use the pieces together. The road has a turn in it, the red lines mark the turn section as a single 10x10 piece, and using your imagination you could form an entire network of roads using 10x10 pieces in this manner. The example also shows a 20x10 player lot, with two entrances. I would suggest to make the maximum player lot 20x20, which ought to be plenty of room for building a reasonable house. Maximum height could be maybe as low as 10, in order to ensure you're not constantly faced with a wall of stone all around. I guess exceptions can be made for special houses or towers. Being an ever-collaborative Dutchman I like the idea of informing your (future) neighbours of build projects and whether or not they object to certain aspects of it.

I would further suggest that every player contributing to the city is responsible for connecting their own lot to the road network without breaking the 'rules'. As a bonus for building roads I thought it would be a neat idea to let the builders name the street they made by placing a sign on the corner of the street at 3 blocks height. In my mind we'd have an amazing city where people have adresses consisting of street names and numbers, but I could be overthinking the idea

With the explanation out of the way I suppose you all understand that a map is not really required. I'd personally like to see what we end up with if we start freeforming whilst maintaining the 10x10 rule. If anyone has a good, reasonably flat piece of land in mind we could start working at any time. All we need is a couple of perfectly sized roads and connecting lots (pieces not being 10x10 could ruin the consistency of the city in the long run) and the project should take shape nicely.

Any suggestions are welcome of course, it's not my project after all - it belongs to the group of players active on the server

Also, MS Paint yo!
Attached images
Citypiecesexampleresized2.jpg
To be honest If you cant even trust people not to destroy other houses and steal chests from fellow players, trusting them to a project this big is stupid.

Unless you carefully pick out the team of people you trust and dont allow randoms in. But it kinda beats the point of the whole "city" then.

Good idea though.
Quote from DevilDare :To be honest If you cant even trust people not to destroy other houses and steal chests from fellow players, trusting them to a project this big is stupid.

Unless you carefully pick out the team of people you trust and dont allow randoms in. But it kinda beats the point of the whole "city" then.

Good idea though.

Well, either way it is going to be fun.

Jertje: If you need someone to flatten out the area, come and call me, you should see what I can do with land. There used to be a mountain near me. In the other maps, there used to be islands. : >
It's my birthday today where's my diamonds?
Quote from mamoru :Well, either way it is going to be fun.

Jertje: If you need someone to flatten out the area, come and call me, you should see what I can do with land. There used to be a mountain near me. In the other maps, there used to be islands. : >

Whats your secret?
Ill help with the big city project im not stranger to them xD
Went out exploring on the server today, climbed a big hill, turned around and.. wow.

For an ugly game, it looks beautiful sometimes.
Attached images
minecraftMassive.jpg
Quote from DevilDare :Whats your secret?

Oh, I am mostly just bored and strip down everything I see. I have some chests full of cobble stone and dirt : >

Minecraft
(2685 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG