The online racing simulator
Colcob, I understand the airfoil part, but not the first one.
If I set a tire standing on the ground, by itself, and get an air hose...why would it 'want' to move upwards?
Can you MSpaint a quick sum forces schematic?

Thanks Stregone, though, a picture's worth a thousand words.
What's missing in this one?
Attached images
uptire.GIF
the devs could be makins the message right now. I feel high 'causer i'm so excited :banana_ra
Quote from Breizh : I understand the airfoil part, but not the first one.
If I set a tire standing on the ground, by itself, and get an air hose...why would it 'want' to move upwards?

It wouldnt because there woulnt be enough power in your hose :P I think it doesnt matter what kind of object you have, take a air filled balloon and blow air under it and I suppose it lifts up.
i don't want to dampen your joy, but who says that they will always post the news at 16:00.
Quote from LRB_Aly :i don't want to dampen your joy, but who says that they will always post the news at 16:00.

a little birdie whispered it into my ear
10 minutes to go
Bank holiday today, perhaps they'll take the day off
Quote from Rappa Z :u didn't feel like going to school? do ur parents care? What r ur grades? i get straight a's

I get straight A's too, my average was 96.31 % so I think its pretty good. Of course my parents care. But when you go to school all year they will let you not go to school sometimes wont they? This is also caused by some other factors but dont want to tell them here maybe when there will be chance.
my parents would never let me skip.
Rappa_Z you are 12 years old. Better go to school regularly. YOu seem to be really addicted to LFS.
school sucks. Where's the patch info it's time?
School sucks, but not having a job when you grow up sucks more than going to school
16:06 UK time - no update yet.
that could only mean we'll get the patch today.
Quote from SchneeFee :16:06 UK time - no update yet.
that could only mean we'll get the patch today.

I hope not. Besides, who has said that the update will always be at 16:00? illepall
keep ur fingers crossed. It better be the patch 'cause i'm twitchin' with excitement. When will it release today?
edit: it won't be today.
Oh come on where is it im gonna destroy my F5 key
If it isn't there at 17:00 GMT, then it'll be at 20:00
dammit where the f*** is it!!!! I'm gonna s**t my pants again.
Quote from n2oaddict :If it isn't there at 17:00 GMT, then it'll be at 20:00

And if it isnt 20:00 it wil be 23:00 GMT illepall
Yeah, me too! I'm so desperate!
It's out! It's the new car list, check this: link
if it isn't at 23:00, it'll be at 2:00
Quote from Breizh :It's a hypothetical hose, it has unlimited power.
When and why do the forces sum up to a net upwards total?

In your first sketch you forgot that the tyre is not floating in the air, but standing on the ground. That means, while the air can "easily" pass on the upper side, it's easiest way is blocked by the tarmac on the lower side. That means on the lower side there is more resistance, because the air has to flow to the sides. This raised resistance results in a raised pressure and a raised force that is bigger than on the upper side of the tyre.
Imagin it this way: A particle on the upper side of the tyre collides with the tyre and floats along it's surface until it reached the topmost point where it flies way. On the lower side the air particle collides with the tyre, flows along it's surface towards the tarmac, reaches the point where the tyre meets the tarmac and is trapped there, with the tyre rolling into it's direction. This is where the air particle says to the tyre "go away!" and creates a force that is bigger than on the upper side of the tyre.
(Actually the tyre also says "Go away!" to the air particle, and they both agree to the compromise that instead of flowing below the tyre, the air particle will flow to the side of the tyre, which happens to be the more cumbersome path. The difference needed in energy leads to the lifting force that acts on the tyre. *about 2000 more words on this topic*)

I can't make a sketch of it because I'm on my laptop with no mouse. And you don't want a touchpad-sketch. Really, you don't.

Vain
This thread is closed

LFS.net has an update!!!
(2159 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG