The online racing simulator
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Have you never seen anything fall of a vehicle on the motorway? It will keep it's momentum and travel down the road with traffic until a faster car picks it up. When you're dealing with F1 speeds that is a lot of momentum and a lot of travel. If you watch the replay you can just see a Brawn going off screen in the distance.

If the spring broke (causing the collapse) and then finally fell off later in the track it would explain why it was where it was.

I don't think that explains it - if it had recently come off another car it would be bouncing down the track on the racing line, the replay shows that whatever it was came onto the track from the left

I may be going into conspiracy and tinfoil hat mode here, but looking at the replay closely there appears to be a person standing behind the armco in almost exactly the same place the piece of metal seems to come from
reminds me of '94, when it was said that the guy above (if you believe) took time off from looking after the drivers.

from my previous posts you guys may have sussed im no ferrari fan, and that includes the drivers, but i wish massa a speedy recovery and i hope he has no lasting damage from this incident.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Click for a horrible pic of Massa.

Are you loving the fact too that even the race was held 20metres away from them yet they are still saying "SOMETHING did hit Massa's helmet and he's skull got smashed"? Yet the race was held here, seems like we are the last who get know the facts from commentaries. (actually it's the commentary that failed/fails hard). Nice move to try to make an interview with Barichello about Massa BEFORE he even managed to speak with him or even take a look.
And now i won't even start about the high voltage wire theory...
Sad.

Anyway, kinda doubt that Massa will race tomorrow but good to see he's somewhat good, considering what could have happened.
Maybe thats a bad joke, but Brawn really suffers lack of money... Suspension is crumbling even when driving straight.
Quote from TexasLTU :Maybe thats a bad joke, but Brawn really suffers lack of money... Suspension is crumbling even when driving straight.

Please no jokes about this situation Massa could be seriously hurt ... No-one really knows yet
Quote from mythdat :I don't think that explains it - if it had recently come off another car it would be bouncing down the track on the racing line, the replay shows that whatever it was came onto the track from the left

I may be going into conspiracy and tinfoil hat mode here, but looking at the replay closely there appears to be a person standing behind the armco in almost exactly the same place the piece of metal seems to come from

I did notice the fella at the Armco and that object does appear to be close to where he was standing. But the item bounced before smacking Massa in the face and I cannot see a chap having the power to bounce a chunk of metal enough to cover those distances and still slap Massa in the face.
Quote from mr grady :stupid and disrespectful comment

Shut up you pathetic little man. Learn to laugh, the comment has got nothing to do with anything. At least I know who won't be going to a Frankie Boyle gig any time soon.
Got to love some peoples logic, why does a bit of suspension falling off an F1 car that's flat out have to stop dead in the exact position it fell off? It will be going at well over 100mph, bouncing all over the track, go a lob a chunk of metal down a hill and see what it does, it's not predictable.
Quote from BlueFlame :Shut up you pathetic little man. Learn to laugh, the comment has got nothing to do with anything. At least I know who won't be going to a Frankie Boyle gig any time soon.

perhaps you would like to meet up, and after ive knocked you around a bit and you look like massa, you might have a laugh?

stupid stupid stupid
/facepalm
It's confirmed that he won't be driving tomorrow, but they expect him to be 100% ready for the next race. He was hell of lucky here, if that striked him in the visor directly, i can't imagine the consequences..
Quote from mr grady :perhaps you would like to meet up, and after ive knocked you around a bit and you look like massa, you might have a laugh?

stupid stupid stupid

just shut up
Quote from mr grady :perhaps you would like to meet up, and after ive knocked you around a bit and you look like massa, you might have a laugh?

stupid stupid stupid

I think you've not taken your anxiety pills today.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Have you never seen anything fall of a vehicle on the motorway? It will keep it's momentum and travel down the road with traffic until a faster car picks it up. When you're dealing with F1 speeds that is a lot of momentum and a lot of travel. If you watch the replay you can just see a Brawn going off screen in the distance.

If the spring broke (causing the collapse) and then finally fell off later in the track it would explain why it was where it was.

but he lost the piece during cornering.... the only scenario that i can imagine is that the spring somehow popped out from barychello's car and hit those walls at the side of the track then it bounced high enough to go back to the track and bounce again before hitting massa's head as if it was an UFO...

but... its a sad sad day for formula 1... i missed half of the quali, and when i turn the tv on... i see the crash..... but LOL at the timing fail
i dont need them

i just dont see the need to post on a forum jokes about a sportsman being hurt, injured, or killed.

would you go into the ferrari garage and crack a funny right now?

no but you will post a comment thats tasteless and unfunny from the safety of your bedroom.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Got to love some peoples logic, why does a bit of suspension falling off an F1 car that's flat out have to stop dead in the exact position it fell off? It will be going at well over 100mph, bouncing all over the track, go a lob a chunk of metal down a hill and see what it does, it's not predictable.

agree with that but judging from the clip of the brawn, it fell off in the corner precceeding the straight and as such you'd expect it to have followed a straight(ish) path off the track and possibly into any spectator are on the outside.

looking again though that path would have taken it off to the left and it could then have bounced off something and back onto the track from massa's left further on also it's hard to judge the objects path so whilst it appears to come from the direction of the man at the side of the track it could actually have been travelling past him
Only 1G of deceleration with the wheels locked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ltCJXSLuw

Has sound you can hear massa has floored both pedals.

EDIT : you can see the graphic, which shows he floored both pedals.
i thought so.

btw, i didn't think it was offensive and ye, if i knew those guys i would say something like that. For example my friend fell off his bike n got knocked out, when he came back around we all took the piss out of him for falling off at the bottom of a hill and not on his way down, a little bit of a joke lightens the mood... Not like he died, if he did then i wouldnt of said it in the first place.
Quote from tinvek :looking again though that path would have taken it off to the left and it could then have bounced off something and back onto the track from massa's left further on also it's hard to judge the objects path so whilst it appears to come from the direction of the man at the side of the track it could actually have been travelling past him

Yep, and it's a spring, so they tend to bounce around quite randomly. I rekon Massa came on scene as it lost momentum and bounced up, which is why it looks like it's coming towards his car rather than moving away.
It looked like there was HANS broken, look at head movement forward.
i dont think that his hans broke.... he was almost nocked out, and he didnt steer or anything... i think he just coudnt hold his body... or maybe safety belt fail ?
Massa is extremely lucky and I'm pretty relieved we haven't had two horrible deaths in a week touch wood. T'is one of the inherant dangers of open wheel racing.

And because of momentum, there is quite a chance that the piece could have ended up that far down the track, don't forget that the first part of the straight is downhill, so a rounded piece could have easily rolled, also the part we saw coming off the Brawn on the TV camera may have not been the only piece to come off.

A spring is also rather springy (duh!), and being an F1 component, it's likely to be rather light too, which may explain why it was still bouncing so high up in the air.

And Brawn and Button are really pissing me off, Branson as well for not putting his money into a potential world championship winning team.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG