The online racing simulator
LFS Alive ?
(134 posts, started )
Hi Lake10 Where have you been?

I too have had some time away from LFS, not so much playing other games/sims, Ive just not had the time to PC at all

I play only LFS now, and I'm not a big open wheeler fan so I've noticed a similar situation as you describe, however I think the lack of servers/racers you speak of is due to the time we "olders" go online looking for action

I've had some cracking TBO class racing just recently, but at 23:00 (GMT) and later its hard to find a good choice of servers running tintops anywhere other than BL1

I think many of us got to used to joining CTRA servers and became a bit lazy, we just went there all the time, it grouped all of us into servers where we could get good races with good racers. now its gone, we find these TBO servers like RSR & NDR have sprung up to fill the CTRA void.

In the past, when Ive had a good close race I try to add "good" people to my LFSworld buddie list then check before I go on next time, to see where and what my buddies are racing.

As Scawen has pointed out there are more players than ever, but I think spread a little thinner across the servers, especially late at night, but thats to be expected I suppose.

I look forward to racing with you again soon Lake, I remember having some very close battles with you a few years back, so look out for me, and Ill do the same.

Im pleased Scawen has said something about all the "Devs are alive" posts, hopfully some people will stop posting trivia/spam in the test patch section also.
Its a shame the most vocal people on this forum, seem to be the most unhappy about development ect, rest assured there are many of us not so vocal here who continue to support the Dev team. I think of it this way, imagine trying to do your job (or school etc) with someone shouting in your ear "have you done it yet? where is it? now? where? whynot?"
I would eventually have to lash out .

All good things come to those who wait

SD.
Quote from marco1 :hi scawen
you are right

@ the whole forum
plz stop this dump thread like" where is the scriocco" or something else
the devs are working hard for lfs and for some other things.
Plz keep it close
the scrirocco comes when it comes.

To scawen,eric and victor have a nice day guys

bootlicker ?

Bootlicker !
Quote from Memph1s :bootlicker ?

Bootlicker !

No, more like he's right that its (insert many naughty words here) annoying when everyone complains about the Scirocco. People with your attitude are the ones that spam this forum up with silly little negative digs at people just because they agree with a developer. How would you like it if you'd devoted your life to creating a racing game and a forum full of people started whining that your not dedicated enough or don't try hard enough. If it were me - I'd feel pretty pissed off!
The devs has a life you know, stop bugging it

You guys are stalking them.
hey scawen, i always wanted to generate that graph! but i could only ever look at 60 days at the outer :3

i was just racing XRGs on pro racing room with ninja et al.

and it was p.cool. as always. this is 2AM monday morning in australia too.
also the other day i was showing a mate why a 900hp nissan is dumb, using lfstweak and a version V install i found lying about. and i couldnt believe how much i noticed the difference between it and Z. so then i fired up oldskool s1 and blew my mind a little bit.
not least because i could now drive the lx6

till you look back, its easy to forget how far you've come
Even though I dont really want to be part of this discussion, Im kinda forced to push it a bit into the direction of common sense:
Do you really think the devs will ever post a progress report again, if you moan and even make fun of them if they dont deliver? So, what most people here want is progress reports - I remember a lot of threads where many people requested some kind of regular updates. But with the current behaviour you simply achieve the 100% opposite. Why should Scawen risk more of those flame wars again? Just to keep you guys informed?
You prolly have not a single lick of a clue how game development works; Sometimes its just the way it is - you cant really plan anything perfectly and release something onto the point. Sometimes there are tiny little problems that make you go through hell for many weeks! At least thats the case if you want to do something cool. Games that are produced within the budget and are released in time are coming from EA nowadays. Would you like LFS to be an EA game?

So baisically what you all achieve by those threads is, that there will no longer be progress reports in the future; New content will just be released when its done, and thats it. Thus LFS will be just like any other game. Development for a couple of years, and then one release...
Everyone who knows what LFS is about should now realize that this is not the way that will take LFS ahead. And if you request that the devs should take more care of the community, you forget about the fact that while doing so, they cant work on LFS.

Also, I guess nobody has asked the devs "What are you doing right now". I'd be surprised if they didnt answer. At least its the more elegant approach than just assuming, if you dont see anything new, there is nothing new. Its a bit like "what I cant see is not there" approach, which I first discovered in the kindergarten, where some girls thought they would be hidden if they closed their eyes..

Besides all of this theory stuff, nobody seems to remember that the devs are doing this game project because they are having fun with it. Having fun doing it their way. And all you guys do is talk about them as if they were complete idiots who dont work at all. I mean, if I was Eric I would have been pissed of even more than I think he was. Just try to imagine if someone calls you an idiot, and that everyone can do at least twice as fast. Besides the fact that you dont know if you really can, you have no clue what they are actually doing. So, how shall you know if you can do faster or better if you dont really know what they are actually doing? And even IF you can do faster, you will not be faster after 5 years or more of development. You really need a few weeks off sometimes, if you have been working on the same thing for a long time. Simply to get your head sorted again and relax a bit... think about something else, do something else. You cant "produce" creativity like a bot.
Not even Scawen can, and he is a bot... HAHAHA just kidding

Anyways. From my point of view, people in here dont realize that the devs are still human. Yes, there have been little updates to LFS for a very long time now, but this doesnt mean its dead. People are still playing and buying the game. Only those that are in LFS for some more time start to moan because not much is going on. But its pretty normal, that you dont have fun playing the same game again and again over many years. It needs bigger changes at once in order to keep the fun. If there are only small updates for many years, you will soon miss the thrill of getting someting new, something different with a new feel and new excitement.
Thus releasing the new Scirocco will likely not change anything. Many people will not like it anyways as its FWD, and I promise, the ones who will be crying the loudest then, are also the ones that are moaning the loudest right now.

I really hope the devs have some sort of an ace up their sleeve, or anything that can provide the feel of something new. A new car will not be enough for sure, but a new track and some cool physics updates alongside with a more grown up overall look and feel can do the trick... Just like the first demo from S2Alpha with the new Blackwood - a totally new feel, which brought a lot of excitement!
Also, Im sure the devs dont mind if you play other games than LFS. The next LFS update will come before Duke Nukem Forever (hahahah!!) and once its there, EVERYONE, who has been moaning right now, will go back to LFS and play and love it again...

Maybe it is even BETTER that there is not much going on right now. I guess people will be disappointed if the devs release a rather small update soon. Its all a bit like a doom loop, cause everyone wants new content as soon as possible, but everyone will be disappointed if the update is not a completely new game...

Welcome to the most complicated branch of trades in the world...
I totally agree with you Orion
Quote from ORION :Even though I dont really want to be part of this discussion, Im kinda forced to push it a bit into the direction of common sense:
Do you really think the devs will ever post a progress report again, if you moan and even make fun of them if they dont deliver? So, what most people here want is progress reports - I remember a lot of threads where many people requested some kind of regular updates. But with the current behaviour you simply achieve the 100% opposite. Why should Scawen risk more of those flame wars again? .................

Considering English is not your first language that is one hell of a post. I agree with it wholeheartedly. In fact there is nothing to add.
Quote from ebola :Considering English is not your first language that is one hell of a post. I agree with it wholeheartedly. In fact there is nothing to add.

Quote for truth. Already linked it as the best post ever in my signature.
Well,

i just have one hope, that LFS continue to be alive as before and more.

Maybe sometimes there is lowest period.

Of course we have all a real life.

Thats why i ve stopped for nearly a year.

Kids, wife, etc....( im 37 years old now hehe..)

Im not only driving one car but i admit that since i restarted i drove XFG most of time just to find feelings back.

I like FOX, XFR, UFR, FBM, etc...

The only cars im not a big fan (and im probably wrong) are FWD.

Im sure i should take more time to appreciate and master it.

I was just a bit surprised not finding more other tracks on this little mosquito called XFG .

Im thinking to rent a server too, maybe later.

I really like LFS anyway, this is the only racing sim i played so long.

I dont want a big "blockbuster" as some majors company, i totally agree with the LFS spirit.

I know this take lot of time and i have no worries to wait for some extra cars,upgrades, etc...

Hope to see you Sparkydave too, we had real good fun.
*ashamed* ^^

I'd say its not LFS that is dying - its the drivers!
It's a bit like in relationships that break, it always seems to be your partner who has changed, but mostly its just yourself...
I just don't race because I'm scared my wheels will come off. Unless I'm driving a formula BMW.
If you play LFS in leagues, or on servers where you always join, no matter what happens (CTRA, or your favourite Cruise/Drift/Race-server) then you'll notice LFS ain't dead at all. But if you are a racer which is a "traveler" in the LFS servers, you may think that LFS is dead, because there are like 700+ servers, and in only 10 servers, there are more than 10 people.

I don't care how long it takes the developers to release the new patch... I don't miss what I don't have.. I'm waiting for it, yes, but what can I do about the development speed by saying: "Hey you! Work harder+Longer+Faster!".. It will only get on those people's nerves, and the work will eventually slow down maybe..

Just go to the miscelaenious/misceleaunious/mische..ahhh, whatever, to the dds+interior+reflections etc. editing thread, and see what's already being done for Hi-resolution VW interiors and such!

As Johan Cruijff once said:
Every vorteil has it's nadeel, und andersom (multilangual so everyone will understand )

Quote from Heiko1 :
Best Regarts Heiko1

Quote from Marco1 :
To Scawen,Eric and Victor have a nice day guys

ps. I still don't get why you have an account named:
Heiko1 with racername Marco
and an account named:
Marco1 with racername Heiko
Quote from Heiko1 :
Thats what needet so say
and maybe we getting a suprise, maybe more than scirocco.

We've been so annoying at Scawen I doubt he will give us more than was we were supposed to get.
Quote from Riders Motion :We've been so annoying at Scawen I doubt he will give us more than was we were supposed to get.

Hi.
I don't think so. They will not change plans just because the moaners.
But as ORION said, i'm sure there will be less info about what they are working from now on. I hope not
#41 - SamH
Quote from Riders Motion :We've been so annoying at Scawen I doubt he will give us more than was we were supposed to get.

Nahh.. what Scavier releases will be exactly what Scavier feels ready to release. There will not be any more or any less in the patch, when it comes, than Scawen, Vic and Eric are satisfied is ready for release.

Even if *some* people on the forum act like the girls in ORION's kindergarten class, we can thank the heavens above that the devs aren't so childish as them.
Back to Topic:

LFS IS alive as Scawen said! I Like to race with most of you. Just had a cool leaue race yesterday and it was hard to win. I had much fun until now and i think LFS will never get boring! You have a goal at everytime you boot LFS: getting better and better.

@Scavier: bring us a good patch when its done
Quote from Scawen :If you think the online activity is dropping, you can go to LFS World : www.lfsworld.net

Click on "Racers & Hosts online" and select the "History" tab.

You will then see something like this attached image and you will probably realise there is no reduction in people online, just a gradual increase over time.

Whats missleading is that 9\10ths of the people online are kids playing about in cruise servers or some silly little mod where they putt putt around like... well, erm... kids.

Real racing servers are dying.
So tell me how come RSR and/or NDR often has 40 people + racing TBO? That's fantastic racing in great cars, and even Conedogers GTR servers are being used. I'm sure there are some FOX/FBM servers but I don't race those so don't look.

Tell me how racing servers are dying?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :So tell me how come RSR and/or NDR often has 40 people + racing TBO? That's fantastic racing in great cars, and even Conedogers GTR servers are being used. I'm sure there are some FOX/FBM servers but I don't race those so don't look.

Tell me how racing servers are dying?

Exactly Jamie. And BTW. What is up with the Red and Blue filtered avatars around here?? I must not be in the loop......

Anyways:

Pretty sure nobody has an answer, because LFS isn't kickin' the bucket or killin' it in any way. The only thing killin' it around here are inpatient people VWbating to the Scirocco and having some sort of doom and gloom theory's of the future of LFS. Don't get me wrong. I can't wait to try out the Scirocco, but there are a lots of things to do in LFS and otherwise. Hell. If anybody thinks the servers are dead, get a couple of friends in an empty server with a combo you like. People will join because the more people online will only bring more people online. And if they don't, you still had fun and maybe next time it will work.

You just can't come on the forums, talk a bunch of bull and expect the holy light of the racing gods to shine a pone your face and grant a wish based on your misconceptions.

If you want to make LFS better, more appealing and support the devs:

Drop some cash in your LFS account. Buy some high res skins. Get a data key then install ario on a LFS server (<--fantastic software isn't it??). Find someone that needs some help getting started in LFS. Give someone you know a old wheel you have lying around with a link to the demo. Improve your lap times. Improve your setups. Help improve someone else's laptimes or setups. Write a insim app that creates an entirely new way to play LFS.

Just don't make a post that sounds like the ship hit an ice burg and we all about to drowned.

-Jay
I wish the devs could ban all the moaners and delete all the moaning threads.

It's their sim, it's their forum. Don't like it? Bugger off.

Yes little moaner, you have paid a small fee. But you have paid for the state that LFS was in when YOU made the decision to buy.
Anything after that is a bonus.
Quote from RMachucaA :Whats missleading is that 9\10ths of the people online are kids playing about in cruise servers or some silly little mod where they putt putt around like... well, erm... kids.

Real racing servers are dying.

Indeed. And if you think proper racing servers are gone, it's even worse at the drift side of LFS. Join a server and you'll see atleast couple guys (kids) doing a burnout against a pit wall just to make the rear tires over 190 centigrade so they have zero grip. Sure, there might be more online players than ever before in LFS, but quantity never replaces quality. That is what is happening here I believe.

<rant>
Speaking of the tires, they are what I think LFS needs fixing the most at this point. I think the tire physics have actually taken a slight step back in development from S1 actually. It's not really noticable when racing (in before THIS IS A RACING SIMULATOR!!1ONEONE) but powersliding reveals their inner faults very quickly. The tire wear is pretty good now, but the tire temperature rise related to higher tire pressure which relates to astronomically lower grip is horribly horribly wrong and makes me want to scream my lungs out every time I try to have a bit fun going sideways in LFS and end up having tires that feel like soap on a race track made of black ice.

I couldn't care less of the Scirocco or even a new track right now, having tires that act even somewhat like in real life when heated up would be way more important. I've already given up on a thought about having a car just made for drifting with more steering lock and all that, I know that is never happening unless LFS goes open source, just allow me to drive like I used to in S1 without soaped up tires please.
</rant>
we need a big banner on the forum with ITS DONE WHEN ITS DONE in huge letters lol
Quote from Scawen :If you think the online activity is dropping, you can go to LFS World : www.lfsworld.net

Click on "Racers & Hosts online" and select the "History" tab.

You will then see something like this attached image and you will probably realise there is no reduction in people online, just a gradual increase over time.

Could you filter CRUISE and DRIFT?
Could you filter private and public?

Because DRIFT is not RACE, CRUISE is not RACE, and PRIVATE is not what the poster has asked to.

And if I remember in the recent past, the numbers counted thousands, not hundreds.

But ok, you are working, we respect that, and hope the results come soon.

You don't need to get angry with people complaining, it is a natural behavior, for impatient people, who can't afford with months of expectation.
This forum is eating its self, there' s been nothing new to talk about for so long we have taken to picking on one another or The Creator.

The only real news worthy item for awhile is the CTRA going tits up other than that its threads like this or i,m banned/this guy is a hacker threads.

Well at least the VW threads have abated so that's something to smile about..

LFS Alive ?
(134 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG