The online racing simulator
In fact I was going to the pitlane, I heard a noise of tyre and see the #17 flying ! Like Gene last year. It was terrific ! There were few people and during the night nobody can film that scene. I asked some other spectators what happened and they told me that Treluyer lose control where Bugatti track and long track linking, he spin at 250km/h. I had already seen that the four Peugeot weren't really stable in this portion :s I ran to the other side of The "esses" because the car was just near from the spectator and I saw the car completely destructed ! There was only the cokpit.

Last year Peugeot didn't have made a chassis in few days. In fact it was an hold one like what they give to Pescarolo this year that they have to prepare it for Le Mans in one week ! The problem was that they have done lot of thing too fast and it wasn't as good as the other 908.

These number are the number that Olivier Quesnel said to the media.
Quote from DeKo :Out of interest, do you have a video of the Pescaralo crash? Wasnt shown all night on TV as far as i saw.

No video, unless some amateur video pops up.... also Benoit Treluyer said that "the car took off and flipped". Again... :eek:

Quote from MoMo92i :These number are the number that Olivier Quesnel said to the media.

Recently?
At the beginning of the year.
Any link? I am just curious, because it is not often you hear accurate figures for these programs
wahooo...will try to find it but it was when they announce they give a 908 to Pescarolo
Someone put a video up of the Pescarolo Pugs crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6upFvKLkDw

Quite a flight.

As far as number of cars goes, apparently last year they had enough spares (including tubs) for 5 cars.
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
5 cars in the race need 15drivers, 5 teams for the pit stop and it need that ACO confirm the 5 cars in the race...I don't think that ACO will be ok to see 5 908 in the race...

You can heard "Il est mort le mec" in your video which mean "The guy must be dead!". It was what I though when I have seen this crash but Treluyer is okay It's a really strong car !
Lol actually it means ''The guy's dead!'' :P I'm always amazed by how safe racecars are. Why aren't road cars that safe??? Theres this crash and Kubica's crash @ Montreal 2007 that amaze me...
Quote from evilpimp :Why aren't road cars that safe???

Convenience. People don't want to be inconvenienced by rollcages blocking their doors and the like.

People are stupid, too, though.
Quote from MAGGOT :Convenience. People don't want to be inconvenienced by rollcages blocking their doors and the like.

People are stupid, too, though.

+ 90% of the world's population cannot afford a carbon fibre monocoque..... .... im in that 90%.... im sure im not the only1 here....
Quote from el pibe :+ 90% of the world's population cannot afford a carbon fibre monocoque..... .... im in that 90%.... im sure im not the only1 here....

I'd have thought it'd be more like 99% of the world's population can't afford a carbon fiber monocoque. :P

Of course, cheaper materials could be used (tubular steel rolcage, etc) without adding a whole heap to the cost of a vehicle (if designed in properly, of course).

Additionally, though, you have the issue of vastly different vehicles on the road. No matter what your car is made of, if it goes up against a transport truck, the truck will win. Things can be done to improve safety, though, and a lot has been done.
thats why you put the driver's seat on the middle of the car. not only for better weight balance but for safety ! if u get hit by a truck no matter the side he hits u... ure still alive !
That falls back to the whole convenience thing. Plus, you would have decreased visibility at intersections. The closer you are to the left side of the car (right side in countries which drive on the left side of the road) the better view you will have at an intersection. So, with that regard, it may be safer in a collision, but may lead to more minor (or even major) collisions.
so why did they build the McLaren F1 then ?
They didn't have street driving in mind when building that car. Or they did, but after designing it for the track.
Well I cant claim to have sat in one, but I dont think forward and side visibility is an issue in the McLaren F1, indeed the reason for the driver placement though is nothing to do with this or for safety - it's about weight distribution.

Road car safety is about marketting not what is safe. Don't be fooled into thinking the car manufacturers give a damn about you - they're only interested in things that help sell the car.

I'd be delighted to see a road car sold with a roll cage, personally, but I don't think much of the car buying public thinks like me. Our cars are quite good at taking knocks, but they're not so good when the car goes over.
Quote from diablo21 :They didn't have street driving in mind when building that car. Or they did, but after designing it for the track.

Other way round. The F1 was designed for road and then some owners managed to convince Mclaren to make some race versions.
Quote from spookthehamster :Other way round. The F1 was designed for road and then some owners managed to convince Mclaren to make some race versions.

The engine was actually de-tuned for the track, too.

In any case, it wasn't really designed for "road use." It was designed as a supercar, to be of the highest performance it could be. Nearly tantamount to being designed for the track. Driveability in the city wasn't a concern. (Though, the did find some space to add storage in the doors and such, which is nice).
that is why i am going to buy a lottery ticket on my 18th birthday with the hope that lewser hamilton didnt give macca 3 constructors championships....

and if i win with that lottery ticket, and if i can affort the F1 LM.... i will buy it.
Quote from MAGGOT :The engine was actually de-tuned for the track, too.

The race versions weren't as heavy though
Put some of my pictures from Le Mans up on Flickr.
It's a Reliant Robin.

[are they putting those in the LMS now...?]
Quote :Following the new Toyota IQ/Aston Martin, AMR decided to use converted Reliant Robins painted in Gulf colours as their LMP1 entry for the next LMS race, in Portimão.

ALMS/LMS/Le Mans/FIA GT 2009
(948 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG