The online racing simulator
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Anyone else get a heart attack when bourdais slowed down with 20 minutes left?

Nope - it was pretty obvious that they were waiting each other.
No, it was obvious they wanted to get in formation

And yeah, I agree that Hall's penalty was weird... They should have given the car a big penalty, not the driver.
-
(DevilDare) DELETED by DevilDare
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Anyone else get a heart attack when bourdais slowed down with 20 minutes left?

Quote from Gil07 :No, it was obvious they wanted to get in formation

And yeah, I agree that Hall's penalty was weird... They should have given the car a big penalty, not the driver.

He was replying to Sueycide_FD's post - if you look at time stamps
Yah yah. My bad
I'm confused
Quote from samjh :Interestingly, I've just found out that Panoz ran a hybrid in the Petit Le Mans (the Panoz Q9) in 1998, qualifying and finishing second. Battery technology wasn't good enough back then, so the cockpit was half filled with batteries.

There's a car running hybrid in the ALMS - I think it's a Lola something. They havn't got it completely reliable yet but its coming apparently
Quote from J@tko :There's a car running hybrid in the ALMS - I think it's a Lola something. They havn't got it completely reliable yet but its coming apparently

Not running in the ALMS, they did a test at Salt Lake City to see if the thing could even move itself under pure battery power.

..It did. Just. It's definitely not running in the ALMS, though, not nearly rapid enough to compete. Still a long way to go to.
Quote from MAGGOT :Not running in the ALMS, they did a test at Salt Lake City to see if the thing could even move itself under pure battery power.

..It did. Just. It's definitely not running in the ALMS, though, not nearly rapid enough to compete. Still a long way to go to.

Didn't they just de-activate it for the round at Miller Motorsports Park?
Quote from MAGGOT :Not running in the ALMS, they did a test at Salt Lake City to see if the thing could even move itself under pure battery power.

It is running in ALMS, they turned it off though because of issues in the salt lake (miller motorsport park) race. I think it was battery issues, I have the race on my computer so could check.
Hmm.... I had read that it didn't actually run in any of the sessions; maybe the article/thing-I-read meant the electric motor, and not the car as a whole.

My mistake.
Yves Courage is making an LMP2 car for Le Mans 2011 which will be powered only by electricity !

A french car which win les 24 heures du Mans, it creat such a amazing atmosphere ! I can't imagine how wonderful it would have been if the 908 #8 or the Pescarolo's one had won ! This track is really magic when you see the cars running at 4 in the Esses of Tertre Rouge !

Formula one is nothing compare to Le Mans !

Moreover I don't agree when someone said those diesel's sound suck because it is quite impressive looking to these wonderful cars driving so fast without any sound ! It's incredible and it's look very impressive because you think that they aren't driving as fast as they can do ! I prefer Corvette's sound but 908 and Audi sound are magical too !

My first thought was, Aston on the podium!!!
I got back from Le Mans last night, it was pretty awesome to watch so close by. I'm pretty knackered right now but I'm definately going again next year
Quote from samjh :I don't fancy seeing that many 908s, but some hybrids should be nice to see. A much better contribution to the development of alternative propulsion than F1's ridiculous KERS poop.

Huh... the rules might be little bit more relaxed but it still pretty much F1-like KERS. In one way the rules are actually more restricted because flywheel design is not allowed.

Quote :Interestingly, I've just found out that Panoz ran a hybrid in the Petit Le Mans (the Panoz Q9) in 1998, qualifying and finishing second. Battery technology wasn't good enough back then, so the cockpit was half filled with batteries.

David Price Racing tested the GTR-1 Q9 throughout the season, making its first competition appearance at the test days for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Unfortunately the car was only able to achieve the 39th fastest time, well behind the two Panoz factory entries. It was found that the car was too overweight and slowed down by the addition of the batteries necessary to run the hybrid system. Thus plans for competing at Le Mans were abandoned. The car would make one more appearance later on in the initial Petit Le Mans, part of the IMSA schedule. The car managed to finish 12th overall. After this, the Q9 project was cancelled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panoz_Esperante_GTR-1

Also wasn't it in 1998 when McLaren innovated hydraulic KERS kind of system, which FIA then banned. Ironic decision now that everyone opposes KERS.
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
so... if they did have those hybrid systems 10 years ago.....

WHY THE F*** DO THEY HAVE TO RE-INTRODUCE THEM NOW !

they killed 10+ years of very rare petrol !

/me thinks that i should be the next castro and do something about the future of the planet

/crazy guy mode: off

Quote from samjh :I don't fancy seeing that many 908s, but some hybrids should be nice to see. A much better contribution to the development of alternative propulsion than F1's ridiculous KERS poop.

Interestingly, I've just found out that Panoz ran a hybrid in the Petit Le Mans (the Panoz Q9) in 1998, qualifying and finishing second. Battery technology wasn't good enough back then, so the cockpit was half filled with batteries.

if they were capable of having 4 chassis for this year, then i wouldn't be surprised if they can make it to 7 for the next year....

but they will have to do 6 new chassis .... because i dont think that they would want to sell or use again those that raced just 2-3 days ago...
why not? the car that won gt2 this year is the exact same one that one last year and won sebring and did a few alms races in between those victories too.
The Team Essex car was also the same IIRC, so was the Team Goh one... (LMP2)
Quote from el pibe :so... if they did have those hybrid systems 10 years ago.....

WHY THE F*** DO THEY HAVE TO RE-INTRODUCE THEM NOW !

they killed 10+ years of very rare petrol !

/me thinks that i should be the next castro and do something about the future of the planet

/crazy guy mode: off

Because it was a technological failure? Because the technology isn't advanced enough to make a proper race out of? Think first, speak later.

Quote :but they will have to do 6 new chassis .... because i dont think that they would want to sell or use again those that raced just 2-3 days ago...

Why? Manufacturers, generally, don't make a car for a single race, they mostly all get used multiple times. Many get modified as they develop and advance the car, they don't just make a new one when they want to re-design something. Do you honestly think every team has a new tub for every race? Do you have any idea how ridiculous (and expensive) that is?
lets say, they do 3 races with a chassi, then they retire it and use it for testing. so they make a chassi for an other 3 races, etc...

but i dont think that peugeot will use the chassis that were on the top steps again.... those cars are going to the museum 1000m underground at a stable temperature of 20 degrees celciuous
Quote from el pibe :lets say, they do 3 races with a chassi, then they retire it and use it for testing. so they make a chassi for an other 3 races, etc...

but i dont think that peugeot will use the chassis that were on the top steps again.... those cars are going to the museum 1000m underground at a stable temperature of 20 degrees celciuous

Peugeot is not going to make 6 new chassis for next year.
lYou know how much these chassis cost? Peuigeot sport is not a Formula one team ^^ They have "only" 50.000.000,00€ to win Le Mans.

The chassis of Pescarolo's car was one of the first one ! which have done Le Mans 2007 and 2008. They have done less than 10 chassis ! and lot of them are only for showing 908. The only one which will not race anymore in the chassis of #9 and the other will be at the start of Le Mans 2010 ! ACO rules don't allowed a constructeur to have more than 2 cars more 1 other (in a different name) and Peugeot don't want to give chassis for prived team. They give Pescarolo one chassis because Pescarolo is first a legend like Le mans, second someone that every french love and to finish he is at the beginning of 908 project ! We will never see more than 4 908 in the track because Peugeot don't want to have more than 3 (because of the cost and the team that it need) and because Pescarolo want to keep a Pescarolo Judd in the race and because Pescarolo's chassis is out ! (I have seen this crash in live...the car is definitely broken !)

But you know, we don't know if Peugeot will race with the 908 HY and I don't think we will see it in Le Mans, maybe in Le Mans series.
Quote from MoMo92i :lYou know how much these chassis cost? Peuigeot sport is not a Formula one team ^^ They have "only" 50.000.000,00€ to win Le Mans.

Just curious, where did you get that number? I've read that 150 millions ($ or €, but it's similar "range" anyway) but divided for three years was mentioned when the program was revealed in 2006.
Don't forget the tub that was written off in Gene's accident testing for LeMans last year.
Quote from MoMo92i :lYou know how much these chassis cost? Peuigeot sport is not a Formula one team ^^ They have "only" 50.000.000,00€ to win Le Mans.

The chassis of Pescarolo's car was one of the first one ! which have done Le Mans 2007 and 2008. They have done less than 10 chassis ! and lot of them are only for showing 908. The only one which will not race anymore in the chassis of #9 and the other will be at the start of Le Mans 2010 ! ACO rules don't allowed a constructeur to have more than 2 cars more 1 other (in a different name) and Peugeot don't want to give chassis for prived team. They give Pescarolo one chassis because Pescarolo is first a legend like Le mans, second someone that every french love and to finish he is at the beginning of 908 project ! We will never see more than 4 908 in the track because Peugeot don't want to have more than 3 (because of the cost and the team that it need) and because Pescarolo want to keep a Pescarolo Judd in the race and because Pescarolo's chassis is out ! (I have seen this crash in live...the car is definitely broken !)

But you know, we don't know if Peugeot will race with the 908 HY and I don't think we will see it in Le Mans, maybe in Le Mans series.

Out of interest, do you have a video of the Pescaralo crash? Wasnt shown all night on TV as far as i saw.

Unless you mean you actually saw it, as in you were there, in which case, forget about this post.

ALMS/LMS/Le Mans/FIA GT 2009
(948 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG