The online racing simulator
Funny how everyone was getting really excited, thought it looked great, and now gradually people are realising just how rubbish it looks with bloom. Absolutely awful. But because LFS doesn't have bling effect people seem to refuse to accept that so far LFS looks more like real life than any other PC game. Even GT5 looks 'wrong' even though the graphics are great.

I never notice LFSs graphics. I notice the graphics in every other racing game. A wise man once said that if you notice it, then it probably isn't realistic.
Quote from deggis :''Real life bloom pic''

Bloom effect is owned. Bloom eff is good for taking pictures, but in usually use it is not practical. It sucs. I'm trying to turn it off almost in every game where it is enabled.

Tested and deleted.
I played around with the settings a little and came up with something that I think works pretty well. It's very toned down and suble. Most of all it actually darkens things a little and makes it more pleasant (not so straining) on the eyes. Here's a few examples:

No bloom:

With bloom:

Another example:

Here is my file, if anyone is interested.
OK, here's my last tweak for now, it's made for NO Anti Aliasing, or else you'll get a black screen, and if you turn off the occlusion you'll get a permanent high glow. Occlusion is what makes it fade out in bright areas.

In some cases you might see the sky flickering a bit on the straights.
And in closed cars the bloom might seem a bit too high.

Attached files
LFS_Bloom_NOAA.rar - 110.2 KB - 597 views
LFS Fog Mod
Attached images
FOG.jpg
Quote from ACCAkut :LFS Fog Mod

What? You activaed NOS (It looks just like NFS when you use NOS...)
Quote :Funny how everyone was getting really excited, thought it looked great, and now gradually people are realising just how rubbish it looks with bloom.

I never thought it looked great, but I was keen to see what some tweaking could do. Not much apparently.

Taavi, I couldn't get your .ini to work, even with AA disabled. Will try again another night. Thanks for giving it a shot.

Gnomie, on my system your settings are still too high.
Also was busy making comparisons between differnet settings. None of them really satisfy(yet?). Track is south city somewhere at pit exit, normal day, F BMW with standard texture in white. I'm using a high res texture pack, for which I had to set the carshine value to .30 and have set 4*AA & 8*AF in the ATI CCC.

Also the setting "BloomCurveDay" doesn't seem to do anything, varied between -10 and 10. I have left all the other effects (occlusion etc.) disabled.

Constant in file name refers to "BloomConstantDay", saturation to "BloomAllowOversaturation" and bloom to "BloomPowerDay" offcourse.
Attached images
bloomOFF.jpg
bloom100.jpg
bloom10.jpg
bloom5.jpg
bloom10constant0.jpg
bloom10constant100.jpg
bloom10saturation0.jpg
Ok, here's another try. Basically without occlusion it's impossible to make it look sensible. Both images are with bloom.
Attached images
5.jpg
4.jpg
Attached files
LFS_Bloom_No_AA_2.rar - 110.2 KB - 491 views
if you guys put :

IlluminationLevel=0
AdditiveIlluminationLevel=0

you might get really good results.. i sure did
Quote from Gekkibi :Now you did it! You owe me a keyboard!

Sorry, warranty does not cover coffee or vomit. Read the littler than little text.

Quote from Electrik Kar :I never thought it looked great, but I was keen to see what some tweaking could do. Not much apparently.

Obviously, because the way bloom works, it will always be fundamentally wrong.

I must say in some of those screenshots it makes the sky and scenery look pretty good, but then everything else, especially everything in the cockpit looks completely #&(?=!%$\?!.

Still good effort everyone who as tweaked it and good find by Bramski.
I don't know, i've tried the default version and EK's version, and they both look kinda the same, and i really can't drive like that.. It looks ok on some pictures, but in motion, i got the headache.. i even tripped that my desktop is Bloomed afterwards..
Quote :i even tripped that my desktop is Bloomed afterwards..

Haha, me too!
Quote from Electrik Kar :Haha, me too!

I thought i was the only one, I've been tweaking it so much that the forum's bloom really sucks, i wonder where they keep the ini file for the forum.

oh wait...
forgot to backup 2, can any post the original dll file plz
Well, LFS mightn't look any better, but we're sure tripping now! :banana_ra
Thanks again Bramski :eye-poppi:bigeyes2::zombie::melting:
Quote from Electrik Kar :Well, LFS mightn't look any better, but we're sure tripping now! :banana_ra
Thanks again Bramski :eye-poppi:bigeyes2::zombie::melting:

LOL, yea.. thanks Bramski, good stuff, cheap too! :splando::Eyecrazy::gt:
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :You're right, that looks awesome! You're using taavis tweaked version?

Actually I was using the original version.I didnt found out about Taavis version until a day after I took the pic :P
you can get exposure like bloom without the radioactive part by just turning up the contrast and adjusting the brightness in your graphics card's settings.

The thing is, this accomplishes the same thing as HDR because normal monitors can NOT display HDR anyway, so any of that extra contrast it can render gets lost in the clipping the monitor's limited contrast ratio creates.

Just look at how the clouds become big white masses on the edges, the same thing happens in HDR games. The only thing HDR in games helps with is light going through glass and things, the extra calculations make for a nicer image, but it's still just as cliped.
Quote from Bob Smith :I don't suppose there is a way to use this at the same time as SoftTH (since they are both modified dx dlls)? Losing two thirds of my vision isn't worth a little visual gain.

read the thread and the readme

apparently it does work as a proxydll too so it should work in combination with softth
ProxyDLL just causes the little "circular spinning loady thingy" in Vista and the LFS menu never appears though, although I do get the SoftTH logo and the conformation this mod is working right.
I just tested it for myself, It reminds me of driving with a visor that doesn't have glare protection.

I used to drive my motorbike with a helmet like that, not much fun when you can't see the ground because of the glare. I think it looks realistic in that sence.

I also didn't get any of that "radioactive" effect, I even turned up the bloom and it still didn't cause glowing edges.
Quote from Shotglass :
apparently it does work as a proxydll too so it should work in combination with softth

Yeah, should.. Has this actually worked for anyone? Report in!
I think I'm gonna keep my settings..i think this is the best possible outcome from this mod
pics: no bloom, with bloom
Attached images
nobloom.jpg
withbloom.jpg

Bloom lighting addon for LFS
(615 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG