The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from AstroBoy :I am a winnor at Daytona in the trucks 50 lap green run i managed to pit at the right time come out in first held off the guy on my bumper by holding the inside line to a easy win
Well done, I remember my first truck wins at Texas. Quite nice. Then I eventually got into top splits in the trucks.

So um why arent V8 supercars used more?
V8's are unpopular I know, but the Aussies get on 'em Monday nights AEST 6:45pm & 8:45pm - the night before the track changes. There will be about 60 ppl there tonight. AUS/NZ S2 - V8 Supercars Sunday & Monday Nights (AUS/NZ discussion forum) I think they are running sunday nights to - check the thread for more details. These race results are listed on the official V8 Supercar website online series results.
Also you can select the V8 in your dashboard race planner and you'll see when the other countries have sessions planned to. Usually on the weekends at about 4:45am your time.

And if you start a race with people in it but only you finish because the others left why doesnt it count?
For a race to go official and to earn iRating score you need minimum 6ppl in Rookie & minimum 8ppl in other classes. (SC 5.2.2)
Safty Rating in unofficial races only weights as 35%. (SC 3.6.2)
SC: Sporting Code is available under the resources tab on the members homepage.

edit: beaten by Boothy while I was looking up all the info.
Richard Towler is crying on facebook about how much iRacing's physics are crap. Way to bash the company that got you a job, tool.
Link?

iRacing didn't get him the job. He lives not far from where Eutechnyx is stationed, and since he was the best in the UK for years in oval racing, him getting that job was just a matter of time.

Also, he probably has a point in the physics bit, but I'd like to at least read what he says.
He got wrecked out of the DWC race last night, I would be pissed off aswell.
Quote from SidiousX :Richard Towler is crying on facebook about how much iRacing's physics are crap. Way to bash the company that got you a job, tool.

meh thats just his mo... he spent years round here complaining how shite lfs is and now hes apparently doing the same thing over there
hes the idra of race sims
Well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that LFS has its list of problems in the physics department. iRacing has just as many if not more, mostly notable on the oval side.

When real NASCAR drivers say this:

Quote :Q. slepianrulez: Matt, would you say the iRacing vehicles drive like the real vehicles?

A. Matt_DiBenedetto: No, iRacing doesn't drive real at all. But the tracks are very similar.

its a good refresher.
no doubt i was just pointing out how tiresome reading his constant stream of drivel is
Who was Towler on here?
That makes sense .
Quote from PMD9409 :Well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that LFS has its list of problems in the physics department. iRacing has just as many if not more, mostly notable on the oval side.

When real NASCAR drivers say this:

its a good refresher.

People seem to complain everything nowadays about iracing physics. At one point people were totally hating the late model saying you need to totally drift it to be anywhere. Then that Earpharpt fellow posted that he thinks it drives just like the real deal. Then people say the cot drives like total suck. According to Landon cassil guy the car is fine. The cot is essentially a big v8 engine in a horse carriage. It is supposed to drive like crap.

Naturally everyone has an opinion but I think the issue here is that real life doesn't drive the same as the game on computer screen. The feedback comes from totally different sources. That's not to say though that some cars in iracing aren't broken in some ways.

I hope the new tire model makes the cars drive better but at the same time I'm a bit afraid iracing is going to give in to those vocal nutcakes on the forum who seem to think any sliding in a racecar is always drifting and that the snappy understeery isi-gtr physics are more realistic.

Imho the biggest problem with iracing physics is that the cars tend to understeer at mid corner. The fast drivers drive around this problem by sliding the car thru apex. The videos richard towler posted about the dp year ago or so are good example of it. And when in iracing you slide thru apex you will end up sliding on exit too because the cars tend to be loose on exit. But very controllable.
I've worked with Parker Kligermann, and he has said the main problem is at low speeds and with the initial slip angles (I'm guessing at any speed). On take-off in the stock cars, you should pretty much be able to floor it on new tires and it should stick. Maybe alittle bit of feathering on some tracks with the Cup car. The amount of grip at low speeds seems to be far off. This creates people wanting to slide the car through the slowest part of the corner in order to gain speed and get the car to rotate center -> off.

The initial slip angle (another term is probably more proper for this, I'm too tired to think of anything else) also seems to easy to fall into. That's why most say that iRacing has less grip than the real thing, while LFS has too much.

The bit that really makes me scratch my head is how in the world can people in iR be 1 second faster a lap on a <30 second oval than the real thing. People say iR has less grip, but then why is it 1 second faster?

There's so many "what ifs". We can only hope they can get it right, but showing the amount of time it takes a tire model to be built (iR, LFS, rF2), I doubt it'll be dream-come-true perfection right off the bat.
Quote from PMD9409 :
The bit that really makes me scratch my head is how in the world can people in iR be 1 second faster a lap on a <30 second oval than the real thing. People say iR has less grip, but then why is it 1 second faster? .

Because there is no danger in pushing for a fast lap while in a simulator.
I don't think danger comes to it at higher levels. Absolutely no one ever will "take it easy" in f1 or nascar or in the few lower tiers where the wannabe professionals race for their careers. Even when racing was much unsafer you had people pushing 110% and literally putting their lives at stake. Like on the old monza banking you had guys pushing it as fast as you could even if the tiniest mistake or car failure would kill you without a doubt. History is full of drivers who tried to take a corner too fast or tried an unsafe pass and killed themselves or someone else in the process.

Nobody in nascar is driving 1 sec slower because they are scared. They are 1s slower because that's how fast you can go there in real life.

I think the fear of death argument is totally bs.
Quote from Hyperactive :I don't think danger comes to it at higher levels. Absolutely no one ever will "take it easy" in f1 or nascar or in the few lower tiers where the wannabe professionals race for their careers. Even when racing was much unsafer you had people pushing 110% and literally putting their lives at stake. Like on the old monza banking you had guys pushing it as fast as you could even if the tiniest mistake or car failure would kill you without a doubt. History is full of drivers who tried to take a corner too fast or tried an unsafe pass and killed themselves or someone else in the process.

Nobody in nascar is driving 1 sec slower because they are scared. They are 1s slower because that's how fast you can go there in real life.

I think the fear of death argument is totally bs.

I am with you on this one. If it is a tenth or two quicker, then MAYBE (although this isvery ]unlikely since they are professional racing driver after all). But if it's a second then there is something off with the physics.
Take into account that track conditions and weather conditions are either perfect or not properly replecated is Sim racing, for example how is air temp replecated, as that will affect top end speed. Like wise track temp, which affects grip levels.
Pole lap at Darlington was a 27.2 this weekend, and in iRacing it's about a 26.7, that's not very far off at all considering we have perfect conditions, and a car which generates too much grip at higher slip angles.

The problem isn't that the COT has low grip, it's that it has far too much grip over the limit.
*cough* two seconds faster with iracing physics for Philip Island in a v8 supercar.

Real world time 1.33.4389 held by Craig Lowndes
Iracing time 1:31.705 Held by Luke McLean
Quote from AstroBoy :*cough* two seconds faster with iracing physics for Philip Island in a v8 supercar.

Real world time 1.33.4389 held by Craig Lowndes
Iracing time 1:31.705 Held by Luke McLean

That's because the V8 supercar is more broken than the COT car, the V8 has far too much grip when it's at a hilarious slip angle. With a realstic setup and a realistic style of driving, the V8 supercar is very close to real times and it feels great, but to be competitive you have to run ridiculous setups.
Going back to perfect conditions real quick. This past NASCAR race was at night in Darlington (perfect conditions). Kevin Harvick drove the fastest lap of the race, which was a 28.4. In iRacing, Steve Sheehan and Ray Alfalla was running 27.3's and 4s as best laps. That's a second difference even when the real life is nearly in perfect conditions.
Quote from PMD9409 :Going back to perfect conditions real quick. This past NASCAR race was at night in Darlington (perfect conditions). Kevin Harvick drove the fastest lap of the race, which was a 28.4. In iRacing, Steve Sheehan and Ray Alfalla was running 27.3's and 4s as best laps. That's a second difference even when the real life is nearly in perfect conditions.

I wouldn't say night was perfect conditions, sure the engines make a little more power, but the track temp plummets and so the car has less grip than on a sunny day.
Interesting that in both iRacing and LFS the area where the physics seemed most out are with low speed grip and around the areas of the tyre taking the 'initial set of slip angle'.

I also don't think that LFS or iRacing have too littile grip it is just that the feel to the driver is that there is two little grip and that could well be related to the above.

The odd thing is that with both sims when you are really in tune with the sim physics and car they both feel like they have great grip, but to the casual user there doesn't feel like there is any grip at all.

For example (and yes I know it is probably because I suck lol) I can get to a pretty reasonable level but then not drive for a week or two and jump back in and find for the first few laps I struggle to stay on the track let alone set a time, I often wonder if that is how it would be irl or is it because we are missing so much in the way of feedback in sims that we have to compensate a lot more.
Quote from DeKo :I wouldn't say night was perfect conditions, sure the engines make a little more power, but the track temp plummets and so the car has less grip than on a sunny day.

Incorrect. NASCAR tires get grippier when it gets a bit cooler. Doesn't make a lot of logical sense, but that's how it is.
I think it might be that the track gets grippier, not so much the tires. Less track temp means less oil making its way to the surface.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG