The online racing simulator
The road to 26.2 miles (was 10km training)
I am currently training for a 10km run in the summer, started a little blog here > http://vdfitness.21publish.com/

Thought it may be of interest to some, either for motivation for them to do it themselves, or runners here to give me tips
#2 - Bean0
Crikey, just looking at that training schedule is making me tired.

Good luck with it though...any plans on entering the Great North Run or similar and running for charity ?
Quote from danowat :
Thought it may be of interest to some, either for motivation for them to do it themselves, or runners here to give me tips

I got one.

If doing it for charity, for the love of the wee man, DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT do it in a big fluffy costume. I did the fun run up in Inverness a couple of years ago, in costume, and I could'nt move for the week after. Just lying on the coach doing nothing except moan and groan every time I moved was not fun
It's not as hard as it looks, I can run 2.5 miles without dropping down dead ATM LOL, but 6 miles is a LONG way away from 2.5 miles.

As for the run, I was looking at doing the sport relief 6 miler, but the thought of walking round with a sponser form leaves me cold.

Outside of that, there is a 10km run local to me (the Breckland 10km) in May, so that is my "main" goal.

@Mackie - I have enough trouble dragging my carcuss 2.5miles, let alone a bloody great monkey suit
Quote from danowat :or runners here to give me tips

Best tip I ever got: love your knees - use your calves.
Aye, I tend to use my calves alot, well, they hurt like buggery after 2.5 miles
Good man - the other thing you can do to build them up is some interval training with sprints. Just focus on pulling up your foot just as it taps the ground - sort of like you'd imagine you'd do if running on something hot (if your imagination can go that way... for some... reason). It'll build the spring into them muscles and they'll be able to take the (ab)use for much longer.
It's good that you're starting off slow and building up gradually.

A couple of things i'd highly suggest is a warm up and warm down along with some stretching exercises before and after the training.

Also, have a look at your diet, try eating healthy (real) food and cut out any junk (fatty) foods from the menu, little and often is the key. And just before the run load up on the carbs.

And also, i may have miss read, but are you doing all your running on the treadmill ?. If so then i wouldn't recommend it. There's a world of difference between running on a softly sprung treadmill and hard concrete. You need time for your joints and muscles to adjust to the road surface, otherwise you'll end up like Mackie (unable to move and in constant agony) So i'd suggest leave the treadmill and get out on the roads as early as possible, + the fresh air will do you good.

Another thing to try is a change of speed. It's called <s******> Fartlek. The running - walking thing is a form of fartlek, but if you really want to have a good anaerobic workout try, sprinting as fast as you can for say 100 yards, then jog very easily and slowly for 200 yards, then sprint again for 100 yards etc. It's really good for the old ticker, but don't over do it.

Might be worth having a chat with your doctor and ask him for a bit of advice, see how hard you can push yourself and how early.

edit: is s****** a rude word ? lol... just think of a word beginning with 's' that means to giggle
Thanks mate, some good advice.

I eat well, have been for the last 2 or so years, so thats not an issue.

When the weather improves, I will do some outside work, although I have been told by a couple of people to avoid running on the road/pavement, as it can ruin your knees.

I am doing the change of speed thing in the schedule I am doing, so thats good.

Doctor is well happy with me doing what I am doing, infact, he is the one who suggested it about 2 years ago, losing all my weight has had a VERY positive effect on my diabetes too, its much "better" than it used to be.
#10 - Vain
Looks great, dan. Keep it up.

But I want to leave a comment about the running itself:
- Don't start running on concrete until you have done a lot of practice. Unexperienced runners cause a lot too much strain on their joints, even on a soft surface. Concrete/tarmac can really cause damage to unexperienced runners so avoid it until you can do the 6 miles on a soft surface and then gradually add more hard surfaces.
If you have no forest-areas in your vicinity it's completely alright to drive a little outside with your car before starting the training. Don't damage your knees over wrong pride.
- I'd also suggest to do the running outside. The movement of your legs is quite a bit different when ascends are involved. When the route of the run leads over hard surfaces it's imperative to have developed a leg-movement that avoids strain on the joints, even on inclinations. Also, of course, I think it's a lot nicer to jog in a forest than in some damp room while staring at a stupid displaying-device that tells me when I can stop without hurting my self-esteem .
Yeah, thats the plan, the weather here is pretty appalling at present, so it just makes the thought of running outside not very pleasent.

I have set the treadmill to run on an incline, hopefully this will make the transition from inside to outside running easier.
Oh, treadmill. I've never run on a treadmill - always used to go to the beach or a park nearby. But if it's anything like the bicycle trainers I've used ... you are one determined man!
Quote from danowat :When the weather improves, I will do some outside work, although I have been told by a couple of people to avoid running on the road/pavement, as it can ruin your knees.

Not at your age, you're still a young lad

Seriously though, it shouldn't cause too many problems with the relatively short distances you're talking about here, unless you've got a really odd running style ? Yeah at first it'll ache and you'll be stiff, but if you start off slowly with short distances then it should be fine. Better to get the aches and pain out of the way first, rather than on the day of the run. And it's best to let your body know what it's like to run up and down a hill in advance too. It might find it a bit of a shock if you leave it till the day of the run

Plus, something i forgot to mention in my first post was, get a really good pair of trainers. Most companies design trainers specifically for road running, and these absorb most of the heavy jarring impact from the pavement/road, which again helps with knees problem. And if your really concerned, good old cod liver oil really does the trick (just a shame it taste's like s*** )
I have been taking cod liver oil for a while now

Haven't been called a young lad in a while
Wow, what you've achieved is pretty impressive, I'm at roughly the point where you started 18 months ago. Any advice you can offer?

Good luck with the training, sounds like you know what your doing.
It's hard, VERY HARD, you just need to knuckle down and do it, plus you REALLY need to want to do it, otherwise you are doomed to fail.

It took a relationship breakup to make me realise that I couldn't carry on like I was.

There is no fast or easy way, you just need to get it in your mindset that you will do it, not matter what it takes.

Giving up is easy, putting in the time and effort is hard, but boy does it feel good when you achieve even a fraction of your goal.

Good luck if you decide to make a change, if you need an moral support, chuck me a pm, I 've been there and know how much it can help.
Quote from Rtsbasic :Wow, what you've achieved is pretty impressive, I'm at roughly the point where you started 18 months ago. Any advice you can offer?

Quote from danowat :Good luck if you decide to make a change, if you need an moral support, chuck me a pm, I 've been there and know how much it can help.

Actually that's really good advice for both of you. Sometimes it's all too easy to give up or maybe even take it too easy when you're doing this stuff alone. If you can convince a pal to join in and get fit with you it's so much better. You'll have someone to encourage you when you're feeling a bit crap, and those long seemingly endless training sessions go much quicker when you've got someone to chat to, take the p**s out of, and a bit of competition can actually work in your favour (one more press up than your pal, getting to the finish line ahead of him etc)
#18 - Nobo
Do you have any target time or is your goal to finish the 10 km without stopping? Interesting to know would also be whats your actual weight in kg and your height to know roughly your phsysical properties.

10 km was my distance when i was focussing on running. I started roughly at zero at the age of 17/18 without really possible to do 3 km in a row and ended it 2 1/2 years ago.

What alwayw helped me a lot that i had a training partner who motivated me to go running even though i wasnt in the mood to go running. He was much faster and had much more endurance then i had. So with my willpower if i wanted to run with him i need to go faster.

I would recommend you to train every second day, dont have big gaps in your training schedule. Increase your distance slowly (like your training schedule). Cross trainer wont substitute the running training but is very good for a warmup´and cool down.

Before each 10 km running event i used to do an overdistance run before with heavy training clothes. (Sportsmen always train heavier then they actually do their events)

Good shoes are really important you dont really want to destroy your body!

Keep us up to date how your running is going, maybe we can motivate you on bad days
Quote from Nobo :Do you have any target time or is your goal to finish the 10 km without stopping? Interesting to know would also be whats your actual weight in kg and your height to know roughly your phsysical properties.

Target? probably 10km in about 60mins would be nice, but finishing would ultimately the target.
Physical properties as follows.
Height - 1.93m or 76in's
Weight - 100kgs or 220lbs

Quote from Nobo :What alwayw helped me a lot that i had a training partner who motivated me to go running even though i wasnt in the mood to go running. He was much faster and had much more endurance then i had. So with my willpower if i wanted to run with him i need to go faster.

Yes, I currently train with my girlfriend, however, sometimes it's just nice to "loose yourself" in some music when training.

Quote from Nobo :I would recommend you to train every second day, dont have big gaps in your training schedule. Increase your distance slowly (like your training schedule). Cross trainer wont substitute the running training but is very good for a warmup´and cool down.

Yeah, thats what I am doing, having a "rest day", my schedule is increasing weekly, and I only use the cross trainer as a warm-up.

Quote from Nobo :Good shoes are really important you dont really want to destroy your body!

Yeah, I have some Nike running shoes, but I will take recommendations on other decent shoes.

Quote from Nobo :Keep us up to date how your running is going, maybe we can motivate you on bad days

Will do thanks

Anyone got any tips for a decent HR monitor?
Quote from danowat :
Yes, I currently train with my girlfriend, however, sometimes it's just nice to "loose yourself" in some music when training.

I do that too, go to the gym with a couple of mates but then sometimes just pop the music on and get to it.

I think the most important thing that I've found is to set good targets (as you've done) and really work towards them.

Tbh I don't really run as I don't really enjoy it so I don't know how applicable this is, but I enjoy my rowing, and do a 45 min row every couple of days or so. However I try to set myself a new target every week, whether it be distance or speed.

Sounds like you're on the right track though
Thanks Dan, you got PM. This thread is making me feel more motivated to get out and do something right now
Ok few little tips from me...
1. Dont eat or drink much before you go running, eat well about 2-3 hours before you do it. Make sure the foods have proteins. I like to make protein shakes with chocolate, milk, eggs, fruits.
2. There are few types of running styles, it is said that the legs get least tired when you land slightly with your heel first.
3. Remember that running is more psychological than physical exercise, when I always think I cant run anymore I tell myself "Come on, you have to be army strong!" And realize I can run much more after. Sometimes singing can help you forget about the pain.
4. For me, also good breathing is important, I try to breath in with my mouth and breath out with my nose as slowly as possible.
5. Dont forget to exercise your whole body (push ups, pull ups are always good) as when you run your whole body moves.

I almost got addicted to running when it was warm. Spent whole afternoons running 5 or more km's each day. Best time I got was 2.5 km in 9 minutes. I wish you good luck mate.

And remember...
“using no way as a way, using no limitations as a limitation.”
“As you think, so shall you become.”
“If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.”
Good on yah Danowat!

I've been trying to get fit for awhile now. Although i have the opposite problem to most. I find it impossible to put on weight. Im about 178 cm and weight around 70kg. I can eat quite a lot i just dont have regular meals which screws it all up.

As for fitness... Well it used to be social soccer every wednesday for about 2 hours. That got me fairly fit fairly fast..but my mates changed the day so i was at work and couldnt join in so i've had to exercise by myself which is always difficult. I try to go for a run around the block which is around 2.5km but i tend to only manage this once a week which isnt enough. About to go for a run soon actually when it cools down a bit!
i used to ride/run morning and night to work when younger and dint have a license to work in england.

from slough to maidenhead

To: SL6 2HP,Maidenhead
Distance: 15.0 kilometres
thats for a car for people running and so on had to go eden windsor way its alot safer lol avoiding motor ways
theres a map there so have a look

for this id stretch in the morning before i left eat plenty of fruit at about 5am id leave at 6am and get there at around 6.45 on bike and 7.20 running, just get into the zone and once your legs hurt keep going and find a pace its ok to run at with the pain. so then its ok!
.pace it evenly and dont push ur self
.always have some water with you
. do it in all types of weather get used to it it will improve your lungs
.do some swimming and build up all over muscles
.set some decent targets that are achievable you know your limits don't push them to hard.
.best tip for time keeping so that ur not looking at your watch and getting distracted. (use a playlist that equals the target time so set a song that you know is the end of the target time

thats all i used to do im alot uniter now and that trip looks daunting
just warm up and warm down tend to run your self on grass instead of paths, try to avoid distractions get in the zone and stay their its more mental then anything once your body's in shape

good luck and have fun with it running is great and its a good opportunity to do something different, im planning to do kakoda next year
Attached images
ssss.JPG
Pff 10k? I'd get a coronary after 100m >.>

The road to 26.2 miles (was 10km training)
(246 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG