The online racing simulator
Quote from danowat :
Would it be sad to wear some sort of LFS shirt?

Paint your face with LFS logo, they'll notice you, that's almost sure.

And GL, try to finish in front of those black guys from Africa.
did a 7 mile "steady" training run yesterday, and too my suprise, managed to do a 1:00:22 10k!!!.

If thats anything to go by, my next 10k could well come in under 60mins, which was my original goal
Quote from danowat :Registered for the Paris marathon today, so it's too late to back out now

Keep your eyes peeled in April 09 on the TV, I am in the pink group (don't ask), bib number 44227

Would it be sad to wear some sort of LFS shirt?

Isnt it April 05
Any idea wheather eurosport is going to show this?
I'll do my marathon on 26.04. in Hamburg and aiming for 3:15
Wasnt there a half-marathon planned for later this year? How is your preparation going?

Last friday i did my last event-run over 5k for this year, i did a total of 18 events (2 slow halfmarathons) with a best of 17:29 for 5k, i'll do another 4 events this year, all between 8k-14,5k. With the focus of doing a 10k pb on new Year's Eve.
Aye, April 05/09

Yes, its normally live on TV, prep is going poorly due to nearly a month in Aus
Last weekend i did my first 10k run for this year. I didnt plan the start, but on thursday i found someone giving away his starting place in the internet for free. So i grabbed this place which orginally did cost 30€... it was a special run 700 meters below the earth surface in a salt mine. You were running in half dark, dark tubes and you had quite some elevation there. 2 laps, with 300m up and 300m down per lap. A total of 600 hm, i guess it was a little less since the track was not the same as the years before...
We had 30°C and 20% humidity down there, the air was quite salty, you were forced to wear a helmet.
i finished 5th out of 500 in 42min10secs

It was one of my best running experiences so far

Here two pictures.

First one from the start, i am the one in black with the black socks

The second some impression of those tubes out of one of these vehicles we were transported down there.
Attached images
start.jpg
roehre dunkel.jpg
Sounds like a heck of a race, 42mins is a great time!!!
Big gap since last post........so, here goes.

After Australia, the wheels feel off my training a bit, and subsequently I missed the Paris Marathon, however, in the depths of Jan, I started training again, took me about 2 weeks to get anywhere near what I was last year though!!!.

Anyway, been having shoe issues, I had some Brooks Adreneline, and had a nasty time in them, knee pain etc, so I got some Asics 2140GT's instead, which are better, except for nasty blisters on my insteps.

I have my first race of the season on Monday, Breckland 10k, the one I did as my first race last year.

I am going to try and break my 10k PB, 63mins, so I am going to set my Garmin 405 up to pace me to finish in 62mins, and see how it goes!!!
Good luck mate! 60 min / 10km is a good speed, and I am sure you can reach it if you push it mate. Keep us informed!
Lol, you are not the only one getting knee pain in Brooks Adrenaline .

I had a hard time too. Didnt run a km since 03.01.09 (+8kg chocolate on my rips now :tilt . Got knee pain in my right knee in a run (with Brooks Adrenaline). First the doctor thought it was the meniscus. Then the inner ligament. After weeks of going from one doctor to another, doing x-ray, mri, i got the first matching diagnose which was plica syndrome, which was the first diagnose being logic to me. Then conventional therapie, physiotherapie, e-therapie didnt make anything better it got worse and worse. So the doctor said the only thing he could do is doing surgery and get rid of the plica. That was 1 week ago. They didnt completely removed it. But they cut it in certain places. So it doesnt hurt the cartilage anymore. At the place where the plica made problem there was a hole and that made the plica stutter there and causing the pain. It isnt caused by sport the doctor said. Which made me somehow lucky.
One week after surgery now the knee is still slightly irritated, but got green light to gently start cycling again from today.

I also had to cancel my already paid marathon and hotel in Hamburg
In the beginning of december (13th) i got my 10k pb down to 35:30 (+/- 35 hm).

I am also running the older version Asics Gt2130 (its the best shoe in my collection unfortunately already has 1133 km). The blisters is only a temporary problem, i had the same in the Asics. But no my skin is strong enough.
For bad weather and forest i have the Asics Gel Trabuco 11 which i got in the sale for 35€. Pretty good trail shoe. At the moment i am thinking to get the 2140 from the uk as they are pretty cheap over there.

Good luck for your run on monday!
Ok, quick post...........

Just come in from the 10K, had a great race, loved it, felt strong all the way round, my pacing was good, my breathing was good, a big improvement from last year.

My time in this race last year was 68:20, my goal this year was sub 60mins, did I manage it?

Hell yeah I did, 59:49!!, and I managed negative splits aswell!!!!.

Roll on my next 10k, here are my Garmin stats from my watch > http://connect.garmin.com/activity/4597812
Very nice!
Well done man, I needa lose weight now...
To hard tho
Quote from danowat :
I am going to try and break my 10k PB, 63mins, so I am going to set my Garmin 405 up to pace me to finish in 62mins, and see how it goes!!!

Quote from danowat :
My time in this race last year was 68:20, my goal this year was sub 60mins, did I manage it?

Hell yeah I did, 59:49!!, and I managed negative splits aswell!!!!.

Roll on my next 10k, here are my Garmin stats from my watch > http://connect.garmin.com/activity/4597812

You overachieved there! Conratulations to your new pb!

You have holiday today in GB?

Well its so good to see when you compare your last year data with this years and see how much your condition has improved. Thx to the forerunner
Thanks man, yeah May Day bank holiday today.

Only trouble is, I have 59mins to beat next time now!!!.

I have another 10k in June, then a half marathon in Sept.
Under the hour eh?
Good good!
Can you reach under 50 eh eh? Push push push!
Anythings possible mate!!!!
Congrats mate, amazing time

If I ever found the motivation, I'd love to start running again. I'm too lazy
Nice one. Even better when you take the elevation gain into account.
Quote from Nobo :Lol, you are not the only one getting knee pain in Brooks Adrenaline .

I had a hard time too. Didnt run a km since 03.01.09 (+8kg chocolate on my rips now :tilt . Got knee pain in my right knee in a run (with Brooks Adrenaline). First the doctor thought it was the meniscus. Then the inner ligament. After weeks of going from one doctor to another, doing x-ray, mri, i got the first matching diagnose which was plica syndrome, which was the first diagnose being logic to me. Then conventional therapie, physiotherapie, e-therapie didnt make anything better it got worse and worse. So the doctor said the only thing he could do is doing surgery and get rid of the plica. That was 1 week ago. They didnt completely removed it. But they cut it in certain places. So it doesnt hurt the cartilage anymore. At the place where the plica made problem there was a hole and that made the plica stutter there and causing the pain. It isnt caused by sport the doctor said. Which made me somehow lucky.
One week after surgery now the knee is still slightly irritated, but got green light to gently start cycling again from today.

I also had to cancel my already paid marathon and hotel in Hamburg
In the beginning of december (13th) i got my 10k pb down to 35:30 (+/- 35 hm).

I am also running the older version Asics Gt2130 (its the best shoe in my collection unfortunately already has 1133 km). The blisters is only a temporary problem, i had the same in the Asics. But no my skin is strong enough.
For bad weather and forest i have the Asics Gel Trabuco 11 which i got in the sale for 35€. Pretty good trail shoe. At the moment i am thinking to get the 2140 from the uk as they are pretty cheap over there.

Good luck for your run on monday!

Sorry to hear about your injuries mate, I hope they get sorted out soon.

As for the shoes, Brooks are horrible IMO, but lots of people use them and have good results.

Like you, its Asics all the way for me, I also brought some "Hilly" twin skin socks, which helped ALOT with the blisters (only got a very, very small one) on the 10k yesterday.
Dan, you have inspired me to finally start training for running this summer, now while you like distance, im more of a sprinter time to get some new running shoes and thanks for the motivation Dan!!!
The road to 26.2 miles

I was thinking about this during a 7 mile run on Sunday.....

Would anyone be interested in my posting my weekly training schedule?, would anyone get any benefit from it?, maybe others can do the same if they decide to start training?.

It would probably help me keep motivated, but I won't post it if people aren't interested.
I am interested, because I plan to take the running out from the gym.

Lately I have start running inside distances on 10-13km, but I plan to start running outside. My normal time is 55min +- on 10km without too much effort, but I know that running outside is a hell of a lot harder, not just in term if physical endurance, but also the strain you put on the body.

I will probally need some advices to not hurt mysel in the attempt of doing 10km under 50mins outside. That's my ultimat goal
You are a fair bit faster than me, however, my training plan distances and sessions would be applicable for you, but you'd need to tweak the target paces.

I am planning on trying to go sub 58mins on my next 10k on 28th June, but I am not 100% sure I can hit it, especially since I am in Egypt for 2 weeks, damn holidays always get in the way!!!.

I'll post last weeks training log up tonight.
Ever thought of trying for the Marathon des Sables at all? I have a few friends that have done that in the past.

Great job on the pb Dan

That garmin watch looks like a really cool piece of kit!
Quote from danowat :You are a fair bit faster than me, however, my training plan distances and sessions would be applicable for you, but you'd need to tweak the target paces.

I am planning on trying to go sub 58mins on my next 10k on 28th June, but I am not 100% sure I can hit it, especially since I am in Egypt for 2 weeks, damn holidays always get in the way!!!.

I'll post last weeks training log up tonight.

Cool
I think that I will take some time to adapt from indoor running to outfoor running, probally my times will go up much the first weeks, but hopefully I can be equally fast outside/inside. I plan to run 2-3 times each week, thuesday, thursday and saturday.

The road to 26.2 miles (was 10km training)
(246 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG