The online racing simulator
Yes Becky, indeed it is true for a lot of (elite?) runners, however......

For those of us who are of the large build, and have been larger in the past, its not that simple.

Being of larger frame means that cushioning and shock apsorbtion is very important, as without it the shock on the joints can be massive, obviously, elite runners are a lot lighter, and as such can get away with little or no cushioning.

Also, throw into the mix low arches, which cause over pronation, and other bio mechanical defects, like I have one leg that over pronates fairly badly due to a rather bad break in my right leg when I was hit by a car, then its not quite as cut and dry.

I agree about fashion trainers, however, proper running shoes, that are properly fitted after proper gait analysis can be a god send to a lot of people.

I remember when I first started running, I ran in crappy cheap trainers, and had a LOT of groin muscle issues, when I got gait analysed and told I needed support shoes, I didn't suffer these groin issues anymore.
Little bump....

Training going well, I am changing tack a little bit, just to see how different things work.

I am currently attempting to do 2 "Aerobic base" training sessions a week, coupled with a single "Speed session".

These aerobic base sessions are an attempt to improve my aerobic base for my upcoming half and full marathon, for these 2 sessions I have to keep my heart rate in a certain zone to facilitate this (less than 145 bpm), which means at the moment I am having to run really slow, around 11:30min per mile pace, however, as my base improves, I should be able to go faster whilst keeping my HR in the same zone.

The speed sessions are currently 5 miles total, with 1 mile reps at 9:09 min per mile pace, which are quite tough!

Be interesting to see how / if it improves anything.
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Quote from speedway :
I’m now in my semester break with free time 24/7 and figured it was time to make up for all the sunny days I spent on studying instead off giving my bikes a hell of a run down the roads

I must be doing it wrong then... exam next week with popov
Quote from speedway :Little hijack….

I had hardly any free time during the last few months because of university. Unfortunately my greatest passion -cycling- had to be neglected meanwhile. I’m now in my semester break with free time 24/7 and figured it was time to make up for all the sunny days I spent on studying instead off giving my bikes a hell of a run down the roads…and eventually loose those few pounds I gained from fast-food.
I thus set myself an (maybe too) optimistic goal: cycling a total of 1000miles within august.

I will come back here probably once a week and post my progress (will use metrics, as this is what my speedos tell me, goal: 1609km)

Progress since august 1st : 149km
Still to do: 1460km
Days till deadline: 29

Good luck mate!!!

5 weeks to go till my Half Marathon, damn it feels close!!!
-
Road to 1000miles (speedway) DELETED by speedway
How are you getting on Felix?

Its now less than 4 weeks too my half marathon, training seems to be going well, did a 10 mile run this weekend in 1:45, just a nice easy run, all was good.

Think I am going to aim for 2:15 on the day.
that thread made me seriously consider to put my sneakers back on and get on track again...damn i used to love running, still do though...
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Looks like a nice trip Felix!!!

I went out a brought a bike today, I am hoping to use it on rest days to improve my fitness, and maybe even enter some novice dual/triathlons.

I went for a hybrid simply because I felt an MTB was too unweildy for 100% road use, and I didn't feel comfortable on a pure road bike with drop bars.

Went out on it this evening and it goes really well.

Its a Mongoose crossway 350 disc, has RST forks, and disc brakes, its not top spec by an means, but it will do me, I paid a fair price for it to I think.
Attached images
Image1.jpg
-
Road to 1000miles (speedway) DELETED by speedway
What a failure, shame on you!
-
(Lible) DELETED by Lible : Oops wrong thread
bump!!!.

Ok, so since my last Half marathon, I've been training hard, also adding bike rides into the mix, doing a 6mile run, then a fast 8mile ride, with a view to Dualathons in the future.

Yesterday I did my 4th 10K, and I managed a pb of 58mins 36secs, which I was well pleased with, although I did think to myself if I had gone 36secs quicker, I'd have had 57mins!!!!.

An improvement is an improvement, and I've come a fair way since my first 10k in 68mins.

Onwards and upwards, second half marathon in a months time

Garmin race stats from the last 10k race
Quote from danowat :bump!!!.

Ok, so since my last Half marathon, I've been training hard, also adding bike rides into the mix, doing a 6mile run, then a fast 8mile ride, with a view to Dualathons in the future.

Yesterday I did my 4th 10K, and I managed a pb of 58mins 36secs, which I was well pleased with, although I did think to myself if I had gone 36secs quicker, I'd have had 57mins!!!!.

An improvement is an improvement, and I've come a fair way since my first 10k in 68mins.

Onwards and upwards, second half marathon in a months time

Garmin race stats from the last 10k race

Grats on your new pb danowat Just out of curiosity, what Garmin device are you using? I bought a forerunner 60 with footpod a couple of months ago and I'm still uncertain if a gps-gadget like the 305 would have been the better choice.
I use the Forerunner 405
Oh grats on the new PB Dan.
Btw how long is 26miles? :P haha get the joke.
So im getting back into my fitness. Been running most days after work doing either 2.4km to the end of the road and back or 3.4km around the block.

2.4km i need to do in less than 10 minutes to join the police. I managed pretty much 10 minutes dead on when i did this for the army (never joined though). Best i've done on my road is 13 i think. Pretty damn disappointing however my road is far from flat its got some nice rolling hills.

3.4 km i can push myself to 16 minutes (again with hills).

Today i thought running these distances as fast as i can is rather silly and instead i should go just go and run for a set time. So i went out with the aim of running 20 minutes to see if i could do it. Managed it fine and did a slightly larger round the block loop of 3.8 km in 21 minutes dead. Did a few sprints afterwards and this is where i am really lacking. I used to be fairly quick when i was coming into my teens now my legs feel like lead.

Anyone got some good advice for sprint training?
A longer, slower run a week, and some tempo and interval work.

I'd say training to a 5k schedule would give you a better, more rounded way of achieving your goal.

Something like a 6 mile long run at the weekend, at an easy, conversational pace, an easy 2 mile run on Tues, and either a tempo, or speed session a week.

Tempo, 5 miles, 1 mile warm, 3 miles @ around 9 min miles, 1 mile cool
Speedwork, 1 mile warm, 3 x 800m reps at 4:10mins, 1 mile cool

But it really depends what you want to achieve ultimately, just the police test, or something to springboard you into something else.
lol dam u barsted's i find it so hard to get fit again im only 27

i used to bmx and skateboard every day in 2-9 hour sessions

now im lucky to ride or skateboard for more then 2 mins without being out of breath lol
My 2nd half marathon in 10 weeks was today, City of Norwich Half, and a new PB, 4 mins off my old one with a new time of 2:15:45, getting closer to the 2:00 mark!!!!

Garmin race stats
Whats that Dan? You need a coach? You want to fly me to Europe to coach you???
Id be honored. Hehe but seriously im really pulling for you to break the 2 hour mark.
I'm with Astro here, crossing my fingers for you mate!
I couldn't afford a coach!!!!

Seriously thinking about joining a running club though.
Quote from danowat :Broke the 5km barrier tonight, wasn't easy, but I never expected it to be

Onwards and upwards

Awesome. Glad I didn't have to go any faster than my own speed during my walking adventure... Course it was with different situations . . . but still. I commend your efforts!

EDIT: Hmm, maybe I oughta try reading the remainder of the thread now?
Yeah, looking back now, I've come a fair way!!!

The road to 26.2 miles (was 10km training)
(246 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG