The online racing simulator
#76 - SamH
hehe! I'm just treading water with the X-System at the moment, while we develop X2
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, or if it's already been mentioned, but today on SS1 everybody was getting winning points for their position, no matter where they finished the race.
Would it be possible that you add to the "servers" page how many races are left on the current track? So you know how long you have to wait when it's a track you absolutely dislike without joining the server.
#79 - SamH
Quote from DarkTimes :Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, or if it's already been mentioned, but today on SS1 everybody was getting winning points for their position, no matter where they finished the race.

Uhoh.. I may have overlooked something. I'll look into it.
Quote from SamH :Uhoh.. I may have overlooked something. I'll look into it.

Yeah, I was surprised not to have seen it mentioned already, but maybe people just like getting max points for 7th.
#81 - VoiD
Quote from zeugnimod :Would it be possible that you add to the "servers" page how many races are left on the current track? So you know how long you have to wait when it's a track you absolutely dislike without joining the server.

+1

Never thought of it, but that would be awesome.

No more "quick-connects-to-check-how-many-races-left-because-I-suck-on-this-combo"
#82 - SamH
Quote from DarkTimes :Yeah, I was surprised not to have seen it mentioned already, but maybe people just like getting max points for 7th.

hehe.. it's fixed now. My error
Quote from VoiD :No more "quick-connects-to-check-how-many-races-left-because-I-suck-on-this-combo"

Hmm.. that's appealing.. temptation is strong. I'll have a think on it.
#83 - SamH
Okay, I've thunk about it and coded the X-System to do it. I'll sort out the website to handle it, now, and upload the changes later when things are a bit quieter.

[edit] Everything is in place now. The server page shows "Next track change: Information not currently available." and that won't actually change until I update the X-System software on the production server, and then not until each server's track changes. Then, it'll give an approximation of the time before the next change. Should be displaying correctly by tomorrow lunchtime
#84 - SamH
CHANGE - SuperGauge added to Stats and MyCTRA pages.

When drivers have achieved Titanium, the next licence to aim for is the now infamous "Unobtainium", as coined by Al Heeley during beta testing. MyCTRA and stats lookup pages now show a new gauge, the "SuperGauge", for all Titanium-licenced racers. Indicated is overall progress to the licence level Unobtainium. The SuperGauge is also ready to show for Superlicenced SS racers and Glitter-roofed Bump and Jumpers.
Nice. I like the look of the SuperGauge, good incentive to get one on my own page and I was actually on the point of suggesting the races-left-until-track-change thing! So you're doing well for my unspoken requests again
Watching the Servers page over the past couple of days, you've really done a good job on it - it's so much more informative now, I don't need the main server list or Browse for Speed any more! Great work

Purely out of interest, what are the above-Super and above-Glitter licences called? Nobody has either licence yet, so I can't check to see what the top people will be aiming at soon... Or maybe you want to keep it a secret until someone gets there

Sam
#86 - SamH
The single seater top, top, mega licence is called Ecclestonium and the Bump and Jump uber-top licence is called EvelKinevelibrium.

Or.. maybe not
Quote from SamH :The single seater top, top, mega licence is called Ecclestonium and the Bump and Jump uber-top licence is called EvelKinevelibrium.

Or.. maybe not

How about Intergalactic B and Intergalactic A?
Ecclestonium would be quite good, actually!

And EvelKnievelibirium would be a very fitting honour. You shouldn't have said that, Sam, now we're all going to petition you to set those ones!

In other news, it's nice to see the track change time on the Servers page is working now
Being a perfectionist, though, is it possible for you to set the system to remove the 'hours' part of the text when hours=0? Just saying '38 minutes' rather than '0 hours 38 minutes' would be even more professional

Sam
#89 - SamH
hehe.. now done. I kept them in while debugging. It all seems to be working *fairly* well now, so I changed it to only show hours and minutes when there are hours and minutes to show

The track change information is approximate and if everyone disconnects from a server, or if the drivers keep voting for a restart before the track cycle function kicks in, the track change info becomes inaccurate. I'll revisit it some time in the future to make it more accurate but since drivers can successfully vote to restart ad infinitum, it will only ever give a theoretical indication
Very nice!
Thats a very useful little thingy, thank you, Sam!
#92 - SamH
More than welcome!

FIX - Replay listing in the $reports menu now optimized.

There was a problem listing replay files to add to your reports in the server. This was caused by the X-System cycling through between 8,000 and 22,000 replay files (depending on when in the month the redundant replay clean-up schedule ran). This would even cause the X-System to crash on occasion, when the time taken to cycle through the files was extreme. I've fixed the problem by migrating the replay file information to a database and querying that rather than the /replayarchive/ filestructure.

I *believe* this is the last of the deficiencies in the code to be solved, and should lead to a much more stable X-System application with few or no crashes. Famous last words, of course
What??? No Crashes, cmon Sam land your spaceship please, it's not possible to have no bugs in the X-system, we will ruin our reputation =)
#94 - SamH
hehe.. I'm sure it'll still keep crashing, and our reputation will be safe!
#95 - SamH
CHANGE - Added Password to $ctra menu.

Previously, you needed to go to $password to enter your password. You can still do that but I wanted to increase awareness of the CTRA website, particularly the MyCTRA side of things.

ADD - You can now see at a glance when your teammates are racing on CTRA servers from the website, when logged in to MyCTRA.
#96 - SamH
CHANGE - I've enhanced the calculations for estimating the next track change on the servers page. It should be a lot more accurate now.
Quote from SamH :hehe.. I'm sure it'll still keep crashing, and our reputation will be safe!

Whew!!! Thats a Relief
I spotted something odd with the track time remaining, Sam, in that it told me nine minutes of SO1R were remaining in SS1 today - when I went in, there were two races left to start after the current one had finished, which equates to about twenty minutes to go before the change.

Hmmmm.

Sam
#99 - SamH
What time was that? I spotted a similar issue earlier and updated the system to fix it.
Hmmmmmmm, I really should have made a note of that. At a rough guess, it would've been around half 2, maybe 3 o'clock.

By Sod's Law, you'll have made the change sometime around then, and we'll have no idea whether I saw the issue with or without your update

EDIT - Aha, there we go. LFSW tells me my first race today was 1433, and I'd have looked at the server page about five minutes before that.

Sam

X-System Change-Log
(149 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG