The online racing simulator
Here's my totally cliche` shot of the day
Taken at our local Scout Camp.
Attached images
DSC_3932.jpg
GMTA.... Made me look that one up, Sam.

I actually have 3 options.

1. I sit on my fat arse waiting for you guys to build up the GMAC Paypal fund (Get Mike a Camera).

2. I'm still in the running for the grand prize which is $1000 gift card to Target. I have to get a note out to my flight sim and my RC forums, hehe. That's where the D80/18-135 is that I have my eye on. I think it is around $850.

3. My wife started working last Monday after a 9 year leave while the kids were little. She went back a little early since the youngest isn't starting until next fall. Thus, we have some things to catch up on, then we will finally be set pretty good.

As for 1, ha ha, I couldn't do that. For 2, well, I never expected to win one of the monthly as I never win anything, so anything could happen with the grand prize. #3 is my best bet, so I'll be getting one eventually. Not to worry.

Nikon decision would be based so far on comparing a D40 and 450D and looking at Nikon's controls vs. Canons. Locally, I only have Nikon or Canon available or else everything would be through the internet. No problems shopping on the net, but I do like to see something in person first.

I actually would love a D90 based on some ISO 3200 shots I've seen. I was amazed at the lack of noise at ISO3200 with that one. A bit expensive for me though.

Soon!
go for the 450D lol none of that nikon crap :P and the d90 has a direct competitor coming in the shape of the 500D
Pretty annoying as an evangelical Pentax user when I see people only shopping Canon or Nikon, but I guess it's not too surprising given they have like 80% of the market share, combined.

BUY PENTAX
BUY PENTAX
BUY PENTAX
BUY PENTAX
BUY PENTAX
BUY PENTAX
BUY PENTAX
BUY PENTAX
BUY PENTAX

I'm satisfied of my Nikon D80 with a 55-200mm VR lens
Yeah, sorry DWB. Pentax wouldn't be out of the mix, it's just that I've never had a chance to check one out. I'd like to find one just to check out.

At least it isn't a Sony . I don't care if the Sony dSLR is the cat's meow, I boycott anything Sony after my experience of everything I've owned Sony since my fantastic original 10 disc CD changer I bought in 1990. Every Sony product since then has been complete garbage.

As for the 450D (I am trying for the non-american name, I think this is the XTi), I think my little Fuji superzoom felt more solid than that thing.

It would all come down to feel and ergonomics (I sparked a big and very good discussion about ergonomics and "buy the one that feels right" on the photography forum) as they all pretty much compare excellently with shot quality wise within their respective classes of camera.
Still practicing my pans, so fwiw...

And this thing's so bad ass, it doesn't neet to be moving :revs:

Quote from Speedy Pro :Still practicing my pans, so fwiw...

And this thing's so bad ass, it doesn't neet to be moving :revs:

KTM Duke ? Wonderful bike, more pics please
Yup, that's a Duke alright! Here are a couple of detail shots of that bike.
These Marchesini wheels apparently go for $1000/ea, according to the owner.

And the Akrapovic exhausts with carbon fibre tips were soooo friggin' sexy!

"Down there"

And this is from another Duke I saw that day. Not quite as intimidating as the first one, but still nothing to scoff at.
Quote :Yeah, sorry DWB. Pentax wouldn't be out of the mix, it's just that I've never had a chance to check one out. I'd like to find one just to check out.

At least it isn't a Sony . I don't care if the Sony dSLR is the cat's meow, I boycott anything Sony after my experience of everything I've owned Sony since my fantastic original 10 disc CD changer I bought in 1990. Every Sony product since then has been complete garbage.

As for the 450D (I am trying for the non-american name, I think this is the XTi), I think my little Fuji superzoom felt more solid than that thing.

It would all come down to feel and ergonomics (I sparked a big and very good discussion about ergonomics and "buy the one that feels right" on the photography forum) as they all pretty much compare excellently with shot quality wise within their respective classes of camera.

well you say they aint built well but i have dropped mine from my dining room table onto a concrete floor with only a thin carpet on(no underlay), it made an almightly thumb but the camera was fine and the lens is a litle bit damaged but still works fine. so ide say they are actually quite robust. and i can see where you coming from with sony, the only thing of theirs i ever buy are playstations
Speedy Pro, that first shot is fantastic! What shutter speed was that? I don't think there is any point not blurred, but that is what makes the shot! Stunning! That is in need of large print and hanging on your office wall. I hope you have that one printed and framed. Better yet, I think that one could make you a little money.

I could swear you already posted the 2nd and 3rd of the bikes before.

Quote from james12s :well you say they aint built well...

Nah, I don't say they aren't well built, they just felt cheap, plasticy (just made that word up I think, hehe), light, and felt not well built. Image quality is fantastic with them as well judging from what I see on photography forums though. Nothing against them, just didn't like how they felt or the intuitiveness of the controls layout.
Thanks Mike! I think I might print and frame it at some point, though I doubt there's money to be made from it. The shutter speed is 1/40 sec. To be honest, the massive blurring is rather by accident. I was standing at an exit of a curve waiting for cars. But this guy came by driving so fast, I really didn't have much time to track him. The bike pans are certainly similar to what I've posted before, but they are (relatively) fresh shots. It's just that I take them at the same canyon road.
Sorry Speedy Pro, I think you are wrong. Accident or not with how that shot came out, I would certainly pay for a framed print in 20x16 (inch) or so to hang on the wall of my garage if I had a fancy garage.

It gives me inspiration to go out and find a good location to experiment with panning. Unfortunately, around here, all I would see is 4 door family cars or small SUVs . I have no idea where I could go to capture some panning of cars actually worthy of trying to capture.

Motocross season is starting soon though. We have a local outdoor track that I've been wanting to take the kids to. I think they would enjoy it and I'll be able to do some shooting. I think the track opens up for practice starting next week. I probably have to wait for summer though when my oldest is done with school.
Quote from Speedy Pro :

Is that a flat black paint job or is it just the lighting? Either way, looks awesome.
@UncleBenny - yeah it's flat black. That bike had a lot of presence!

Quote from mrodgers :
It gives me inspiration to go out and find a good location to experiment with panning. Unfortunately, around here, all I would see is 4 door family cars or small SUVs . I have no idea where I could go to capture some panning of cars actually worthy of trying to capture.

Motocross season is starting soon though. We have a local outdoor track that I've been wanting to take the kids to. I think they would enjoy it and I'll be able to do some shooting. I think the track opens up for practice starting next week. I probably have to wait for summer though when my oldest is done with school.

Mike, as far as panning practice goes, a car is a car. It's a bit of a privelege to be picky of what you photograph and what you don't, but some of my best (or most interesting) pans are of fairly utilitarian cars. At the very least, they help you to figure out your shooting locations. But honestly, it's still massive fun to shoot any car and look at the results. Double that when you get it right. Can't wait to see what you capture with a proper DSLR!

A word of caution though. Some drivers can be real d**kheaded a**holes, thinking you're stalking them by taking their pics. I had this happen several times, and it's more commong with "regular" cars, as the owners of "interesting" vehicles tend to understand why you're photographing them. Still, on the day I took the above shots, there was a pearl blue Audi TT (1st gen) coming out of that "porsche" corner. It drove past, I took some pics. Next thing I see, this idiot comes speeding back. Slams on the breaks, jumps out of the car and starts yelling "Why'd you take mah pictur'?!!!:arge:" Took a few tries to explain that I just liked his car (not really true ) and promising to erase the pics. Other than this sort of stuff, it's fun.
Eh, I'd just tell him because I'm a photographer and photographers by definition take photographs .
Quote from mrodgers :Eh, I'd just tell him because I'm a photographer and photographers by definition take photographs .

What if he then brings out his baseball bat. Are you still a photographer then?

I think that's where your profession shifts to victim.
Then I'd say.
DO YOU WANT TO SEE MY INFECTED BALLS??!!
Then they'll run away no doubt
Quote from (SaM) :What if he then brings out his baseball bat. Are you still a photographer then?

If you use Nikon Pro kit, sure thing!

I dropped my old Nikon F4s on a tiled floor once, from about 4ft. That was really expensive to fix. Who would have thought a tiled floor could be so expensive to repair!?
Hookay... here's a couple.

First a semi-repost from the band promo shoot with a different light setup. I ended up liking the blue ones better. Processed in LR2 and ready for more violent Photoshoopage.

We had a comic-con or something like that in my home town this weekend. Went out there to snap a few pics of the crazy outfits.

Sorry 'bout dem watermarks.
Quote from SamH :If you use Nikon Pro kit, sure thing!

I dropped my old Nikon F4s on a tiled floor once, from about 4ft. That was really expensive to fix. Who would have thought a tiled floor could be so expensive to repair!?

rofl

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG