The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
With the right mods rFactor can be awesome.

There's a reason why most professional teams use rFactor in their simulators and not a game like LFS you know. (Apart from the lack of content, night driving, rain etc etc)
Quote from Bose321 :
There's a reason why most professional teams use rFactor in their simulators and not a game like LFS you know.

Surely not because of realistic physics. You know. Only because it's moddable.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Surely not because of realistic physics. You know. Only because it's moddable.

the physics can depend on the mod.
Quote from Mustafur :the physics can depend on the mod.

Yeah but the physics engine itself is limited and only can do so much.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :That's all very nice...

... but the physics are still shit.

Yes, but mods for the LFS is a plus 1000 people online (maybe :razz
Quote from Bose321 :With the right mods rFactor can be awesome.

There's a reason why most professional teams use rFactor in their simulators and not a game like LFS you know. (Apart from the lack of content, night driving, rain etc etc)

It can't.

They don't.

The use rFactor Pro. Which is essentially a graphics engine with physics plugins. And no simulator uses ANY stock rFactor physics because they're awful. But it fools idiots into thinking that McLaren use rFactor on their simulator, and therefore that rFactor must be decent. Ha ha ha.
Oh that's weird. I visited some simulators at the UK around Silverstone, and they said they run rFactor. Also a few simulators around here for Formula 3 are telling me they use rFactor.
Quote from tristancliffe :It can't.

They don't.

The use rFactor Pro. Which is essentially a graphics engine with physics plugins. And no simulator uses ANY stock rFactor physics because they're awful. But it fools idiots into thinking that McLaren use rFactor on their simulator, and therefore that rFactor must be decent. Ha ha ha.

Oh okay.

Some mods out and about match most of what rFactor Pro is capable of, rFactor engine and rFactor Pro is somewhat the same. The license for rFactor Pro is something else and quite a margin more expensive as far as I'm aware of.
Most... In better words, all of the rigs I've visited around the world have used the rFactor base, so no matter how you want to put it, rFactor has better capability than LFS has. Standard rFactor is capable of EXACTLY the same that rF Pro has, It's all about getting the values right.

And no, I'm certainly not fanning Bose321, I'm simply throwing facts.
Quote from Dennis93 :And no, I'm certainly not fanning Bose321, I'm simply throwing facts.

Aww just admit it. :lovies3d:
Now now, Bose321.
after playing both thoroughly I have to agree with dennis, rfactors base is crap but there is more limit to the engine then the LFS one, plenty of rfactor mods that take it to another level.
Quote from Dennis93 :Oh okay.

Some mods out and about match most of what rFactor Pro is capable of, rFactor engine and rFactor Pro is somewhat the same. The license for rFactor Pro is something else and quite a margin more expensive as far as I'm aware of.
Most... In better words, all of the rigs I've visited around the world have used the rFactor base, so no matter how you want to put it, rFactor has better capability than LFS has. Standard rFactor is capable of EXACTLY the same that rF Pro has, It's all about getting the values right.

And no, I'm certainly not fanning Bose321, I'm simply throwing facts.

The rFactor engine is what it is. You can't edit how it does stuff under the hood. With rFactor Pro, if you want to model how marbles form off the tyre, then you could (in theory) write a module that does that... rFactor gets so much wrong. rFactor Pro also gets those wrong, but nobody uses the standard modules in Pro, so it doesn't matter.

So I don't think you're quite correct Dennis.

I don't think the good simulators are effectively just rFactor mods as we know them. They are re-writes of the most important underlying code PLUS a 'mod'.
I think you're being quite ignorant to the fact that just because it isn't F1 Programmers it doesn't mean they can be good.

Once again, you can do EXACTLY with rFactor as you can with rF Pro.
Not sure why you would even have this discussion with him. He obviously does not like rfactor.
he is correct you can feed completely custom models into rf pro:
At present this feature is being taken advantage of by clients with their own tyre models, however commercially available models, such as TNO Delft Swift and CDTire offer real-time options that cover a wide frequency range including handling, ride, secondary ride and impact harshness.
http://www.rfactor-pro.com/LowLatencyHighBandwidth.aspx

if i understand their pretty terrible marketing blrub correctly it even allows for hardware in the loop
Hardware in the loop is one of the heavily advertised features of rF Pro.
Old thread is old but who cares.

To anyone who wants to know what rfactor is capable of just let me know . i can help doing so .
Rfactor came a long way . and there are some HIGH quality mods out there.
Quote from NikolasCE9A :Old thread is old but who cares.

To anyone who wants to know what rfactor is capable of just let me know . i can help doing so .
Rfactor came a long way . and there are some HIGH quality mods out there.

Physics kind of suck though.
Quote from BWX232 :Physics kind of suck though.

Historix/game stockcar disagrees. I'd go as far as saying that out of most sims nowadays lfs has the weakest physics engine. LFS is beaten to oblivion by the amount of physics features other sims like rf, rf2, ac or even iracing has (aero complexity, tires, suspension types etc.). Only things left with lfs' physics side is the visual tire deflection which is just a gimmick in the end. Maybe flatspots do count. But it is really unavoidable to be left so far behind when the last physics patch for lfs was released something like 2006-2007? I don't even remember anymore because it is so hilariously long time.

Simply comparing physics engines we have lfs and rfactor and then with the rfactor engine we also have game stockcar. There is no contest at all. LFS is a dying dinosaur and is beaten by the competition in every single area except few which have nothing to do with physics (insim server mods, easy of use online, lfsworld, skin downloads).

We are definitely living the golden age of sim racing now. Never before has there been so many good titles without obvious horrible pitfalls. Without any meaningful development for the past 6 years I think it is downright farcical to say lfs even belongs to the top group of sims anymore. Only thing it has left is curiosity value.
Quote from Hyperactive :Historix/game stockcar disagrees. I'd go as far as saying that out of most sims nowadays lfs has the weakest physics engine. LFS is beaten to oblivion by the amount of physics features other sims like rf, rf2, ac or even iracing has (aero complexity, tires, suspension types etc.). Only things left with lfs' physics side is the visual tire deflection which is just a gimmick in the end. Maybe flatspots do count. But it is really unavoidable to be left so far behind when the last physics patch for lfs was released something like 2006-2007? I don't even remember anymore because it is so hilariously long time.

Simply comparing physics engines we have lfs and rfactor and then with the rfactor engine we also have game stockcar. There is no contest at all. LFS is a dying dinosaur and is beaten by the competition in every single area except few which have nothing to do with physics (insim server mods, easy of use online, lfsworld, skin downloads).

We are definitely living the golden age of sim racing now. Never before has there been so many good titles without obvious horrible pitfalls. Without any meaningful development for the past 6 years I think it is downright farcical to say lfs even belongs to the top group of sims anymore. Only thing it has left is curiosity value.

I didn't say anything about LFS's physics, just that rF physics kind of suck (and I meant FF in that). They break down past a certain slip angle and always have, in any mod I have ever used.

I haven't played rF in years, but some things are impossible to fix w/ a mod.
Quote from BWX232 :I didn't say anything about LFS's physics, just that rF physics kind of suck (and I meant FF in that). They break down past a certain slip angle and always have, in any mod I have ever used.

Look at thread title. Anyways it does not make rfactor engine horrible if there are so many horrible mods for it. If you think rfactor engine is trash then try historix mod, niels' supra, corvette or nsx. Or try the demo of game stockcar and then come back to say the physics suck. The problem of ocy spins and unrecoverable slides past certain slip angle were caused simply by using bad unrealistic numbers for the tires.

Quote from BWX232 :I haven't played rF in years, but some things are impossible to fix w/ a mod.

Yes it is possible if the mod was the only thing that was broken in the first place...

Completely not comparable.

After driven, GTR2, Rfactor, Rfactor2, Simraceway, World Racing series, Assetto Corsa, LFS stays by miles the best. Not that LFS can't be improved though.. Perhaps Rfactor2 and AC comming closest, still others aren't even in the same league.
Quote from Hyperactive :Look at thread title. Anyways it does not make rfactor engine horrible if there are so many horrible mods for it. If you think rfactor engine is trash then try historix mod, niels' supra, corvette or nsx. Or try the demo of game stockcar and then come back to say the physics suck. The problem of ocy spins and unrecoverable slides past certain slip angle were caused simply by using bad unrealistic numbers for the tires.

Yes it is possible if the mod was the only thing that was broken in the first place...

Quit putting words in my mouth. I never said any of that crap that you are spewing.

Now that you mention it, it is horrible, and it is trash. There, you happy now?
Get over it, guys. This kind of discussion never works.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG