The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
yup but it has a bunch of errors the guy who made the track pointed out it is only version 1.0 which emplies there will be a more accurate version released later.
Quote from Gabkicks :... it is only version 1.0 which...

Following the same principles of netKar, eh?
Not having anything better to do now at work, i have to write my opinions on my first rFactor online experience i had couple of days ago.
It was a Lupo mod on Lienz GP short. There were 5, 6 of us, and i didn't have any programs that uses net in the background so my net was stable. Anyhow, what i noticed and what i find very funny is how the multiplayer cars behave on the track... The cars were going crazy around me, it's like they have no connection with the track, they were moving really unrealistically and kinda cartoony . I couldn't tell what the car in front of me is going to do, because it was moving really unpredictable and strange. Is this just me, or does this rFactor multiplayer really works this bad?? Now i see the sence in rFactor's 60 multiplayer cars supported.
And speaking of cartoons, on Direct X 8 settings, it really is a cartoon. I mean the skin of the car is so blurred that it is ridicolous, i mean OK, i know that i can't expect fancy effects with my ati 9550, but c mon, can the JPEG skin be atleast visible, i mean wtf???
Quote from Boris Lozac :The cars were going crazy around me, it's like they have no connection with the track, they were moving really unrealistically and kinda cartoony . I couldn't tell what the car in front of me is going to do, because it was moving really unpredictable and strange.

watch a replay of yourself in sp ... chances are it will look similar or identical
lfs is still the only game out there where the replays convince me that the car is actually on the track (dons slomo videos showcase that impressively)
Quote from Shotglass :watch a replay of yourself in sp ... chances are it will look similar or identical
lfs is still the only game out there where the replays convince me that the car is actually on the track (dons slomo videos showcase that impressively)

Well i can forgive the silly replays, but i couldn't believe that it is the same with multiplayer??! It is undriveable for me like that..
i only have that problem on servers that are very laggy, or with a specific user that is lagging.

99% of the time the cars look fine going around the track.

As for your skins being blurred...that's another problem i don't have..lol. IMO, the cars in rFactor look awsome. You might have to play with your detail settings
I think the problem is, that because of the lack of a complete physics base - or simple lazyness - the graphical representation of suspension movements is somewhat out of whack, or atleast fudged in some ways. Atleast you should hope it is that way, because if anyone suggests these are actually 100% corresponding to the actual calculated suspension physics... well, you get the point.
Quote from Shotglass :watch a replay of yourself in sp ... chances are it will look similar or identical

I think Boris meant the jerky car movement in multiplayer, not just physics

And LFS really needs some kind of prediction system that would smoothen the car movement, at least for multiplayer replays. That jerkiness in replays is just so horrible to watch. But while actually playing online I don't even notice it but for MP replays it would be nice.

Quote :lfs is still the only game out there where the replays convince me that the car is actually on the track (dons slomo videos showcase that impressively)

How about RBR & N2003? In certain situations those are even more convincing.

Quote from PLAYLIFE :rFactor just got the Shanghai track

Just an addon track or licensed track made by ISI? If the latter one does anyone know how the hell ISI got licenses for all these tracks? I'm still curious to know, I guess it's just a mystery.
they just dont call it it shanghai. they just give the tracks non official names and dont get in trouble... why cant lfs do the same? i aleady answered this question but i am tired and cant remember the answer...
Quote from Gabkicks :they just dont call it it shanghai. they just give the tracks non official names and dont get in trouble... why cant lfs do the same? i aleady answered this question but i am tired and cant remember the answer...

That's still technically dodgy and I don't think they'd get off with that if someone took them to court.

Technically thats just like taking anything in the world and changing the name of it. ISI can't claim they are not selling the items either as they are part of the package which they are selling.

Keiran
Quote from deggis :How about RBR & N2003? In certain situations those are even more convincing.

N2003 yes; RBR... no way. That's always been one of my peevs about RBR TBH, it just really doesn't look during replays like the car is interacting with the roadsurface. At least not to me. Sure, on large bumps, you can see a reaction but the rest of the time the general impression is like the car is hovering awfully smoothly on the course.
Quote from keiran :That's still technically dodgy and I don't think they'd get off with that if someone took them to court.

Technically thats just like taking anything in the world and changing the name of it. ISI can't claim they are not selling the items either as they are part of the package which they are selling.

Keiran

From what I have read and heard...these "technically dodgy" tracks were made at the request of Intel for the BMW Sauber. ISI is sharing them with it's users.

Like I said this is second hand information.

@ Boris..your cars jumping around like a cartoon, it's just you. I have never witnessed this.
Quote from Pain-less :@ Boris..your cars jumping around like a cartoon, it's just you. I have never witnessed this.

Well maybe you got wrong conclusion from my post, it's not exactly jumping like crazy, but moving really strange, like Andriod said, not seeing any suspension movements, ans also like they are floating couple of milimeters above the track and in some ocassions like they are moving fast forward, don't know how to explain it better.. but definatelly not natural/normal..
Quote from AndroidXP :Following the same principles of netKar, eh?

In that case there's still hope yet. If it follows principles of the rFactor (v1150), looks like there's still much to be done.
I DO have LFS but have NO experience of RFactor. I have scoured a lot of these pages but an objective, concise comparison of the two is lacking.
Can someone oblige me please.
Just how similar are they and what are the main differences?
whats better rfactor or lfs ????
Matter of personal opinion really - i prefer LFS
lol didnt bother reading up thread so i decided to ask that very silly question just on rfactor site nd that looks pretty good also
Next time just DO bother reading the thread.

Ask here: "rFactor has some good points, but LFS wins by far"
Ask on RSC: "rFactor is the most realistic sim ever, LFS sucks, just look at it, they don't even have real tracks"

Seriously, while here the opinion is ofcourse biased towards LFS, we are atleast capable of admitting "our" errors. On RSC they mostly live in fairytale dreamland. Also do never ever post criticism or something negative over there. Everyone takes it personal and the mods soon wave with the banstick.

PS: "Get back on topic, NOW!"
Does anyone have any rFactor Multiplayer replay, so i can see is it the same case as on my computer..? offcourse in .AVI format or something like that, not rFactor format... just a short one, so i can see the car movement..
Arrr...doesn't this thread never die!? It's 1 year old topic, please kill it.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Does anyone have any rFactor Multiplayer replay, so i can see is it the same case as on my computer..? offcourse in .AVI format or something like that, not rFactor format... just a short one, so i can see the car movement..

Search on YouTube for rfactor - I just did and it came up with 647 hits...

Make your mind up after viewing those...

I still haven't found a decent rF video comparable to those done in LFS e.g. Just Racing, DoN's slowmo's, Aspirations etc etc
That's because there obviously is no visual suspension movement at all...

If you look at that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Nn9uO4Aj0 There are some close-ups, but I didn't saw any suspension movement, not even a braking nose-dive... So unless they're not setup stiff as hell or it's the crappy quality of youTube, there is no visual suspension movement...

I would find it rather hard to setup a car for a race in rFactor... In LfS, I look at the replays to see where I could improve the setup by the cars (suspension) movement... I could understand the difficulty of making setups for rFactor (or ISI-sims in general?) without that (imo) crucial information...
So, it's true than.. A lot of you confirmed that there are no suspension movements in online racing, and i can't find the right words for that. It is just ridicolous.. Maybe i can express myself with couple of smylies..
The whole thing about online racing is that immersion of driving bumper to bumper with the live oponent, watching his moves and driving style, but with those cartoony no suspension movements there is not even the "I" of the word "immersion"..

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG