The online racing simulator
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :I need help. Whenever a pop up (windows updates; MSN, etc..) comes on, i get down to about 2fps. Normally it runs perfectly, but now its otherwise...

I usually get about 40fps

Scawen mentioned in another thread that it is a Windows issue that he has no control over. If you do a search you may be able to find his post. You should probably have that stuff turned off while you're playing anyway.

Also, your issue is no more important than anyone else's, so please don't post in all bold like that unless it's REALLY urgent.
my frame rate is still steady as before.

vsync locked at screen hz (60), it drops to 40 with a full grid... its good on my end.

specs:
a64 3000+ @ 2550mhz
Ati 9800 pro @ XT - 1280-1024 4FSAA 4AF triliniar.
winxp pro sp2.
Anybody who has frame rate issues can try changing the color quality on your desktop from 32 bit(high quality) to 16 bit(medium quality). See if it helps increase/or stabilize your frame rate.
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
6800GT
2 gig DDR-800
Asus Crosshair Mobo
Two 19" 1280x1042 monitors

WITH the latest W17 patch, I still get about 50 fps... running dualscreen at 2560x1024 res with 4xAA and 16xAF... I was running on the AS Club Track with 15 other people and the lowest framerate I got was about 40 fps... and when there aren't 15 cars RIGHT in front of me its usually 50+ fps.
Scawen,

I don't have an issue with FPS. However, I've had numerous instances where the game minimizes and leaves me on the desktop.
I can maximize the game again, but I can't explain why this happens so frequently ( every 5 - 10 minutes).

I thought it might be the Windows Auto Updater, but I disabled it and still have the problem.

Using XP with a modern computer and video card - been playing LFS since S1 and have never had this issue before.

I will try disabling any other resident programs tonight.
I'v been having problems...my FPS goes to .1 then all the writing goes to blocks, the grafix's goes to blocks and I cant move at all. To fix it I have to restart my PC and its starting to happen more and more each day..kinda really making me mad..
#82 - Ospi
No issue with FPS for me (though I do have a decent rig), get 100-120 with fullish grids on max setting with 16af and 8 aa, looks great.
Quote from scoobyrbac :I'v been having problems...my FPS goes to .1 then all the writing goes to blocks, the grafix's goes to blocks and I cant move at all. To fix it I have to restart my PC and its starting to happen more and more each day..kinda really making me mad..

Is your system overclocked? It sounds like either an overclocked processor/video card or a hardware failure.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Is your system overclocked? It sounds like either an overclocked processor/video card or a hardware failure.

I don;t have anything overclocked. It might be my video card its an onboard ATi Xpress 200 Series (not the best video card...EVER!)

So maby thats the problem..
#85 - Jakg
Probably just a driver issue tbh.
For me it sounds like the videocard is getting too hot. Try playing with an open pc case and if that helps, clean your graphicscard and watch the temperatures.
Quote from scoobyrbac :I'v been having problems...my FPS goes to .1 then all the writing goes to blocks, the grafix's goes to blocks and I cant move at all. To fix it I have to restart my PC and its starting to happen more and more each day..kinda really making me mad..

Keep ATIs 'Catalyst Control Center' (CCC) open in the background, if it does it just nudge any one of the settings and it should reset all your graphics fine. If it instantly blocks those out too then i've no idea, but i often race with CCC open on the other window because for some stupid reason if i go from full-screen to windowed (or alt+tab to desktop to do something) when i go back in ive lost my AA/AF settings and i cant drive like that.
I did fix it using a different refresh rate in LFS than on desktop, however it means it takes a while alternating those settings to go out of lfs and then back in again... very frustraiting.

Its nothing to do with heat or drivers, i've seen it on the odd occasion for a good year or 2, only recently did i realise i can just alter the AA/AF settings to re-vitalise things like losing my AA/AF settings and just the other day i had the blocked text, models turn transparent & background goes white etc and normally i'd reboot the PC but i tried tweaking the settings and it worked fine. Its like card struggles to hold the information in its memory and things grind to a halt and it ends up dumping the memory to get things smooth again, so you've lost all textures and stuff. My card is a X1900XTX (which is 512mb) and ive never seen it on any other game before and 512mb is plenty for textures which makes me wonder what it actually is causing the problems.
I've done a long FPS test doing one lap on 2 SO tracks, 2 FE track and 2 AS tracks in the X patch and now the new patch. On average I am getting 120 - 140 in patch x. In the new patch it varies by track:

SO tracks - 60 - 75
FE - 70 - 80
AS - 70 - 85

I have checked all settings and mimicked patch X settings and the results are quite different and a loss for the new patch. Still very driveable but a loss none the less
The card is onboard, the grafix card is clean, having an open case just welcomes more dust in really...(its sitting on the ground) I clean it about 3-4 times a month...I will try the CCC if i can find it anywhere.

Edit: and its not the drivers...if i update them its the same but when its normal I get WAY WAY lower FPS..
I also noticed an overall 20-30 percent loss in fps in patch x31 compared to patch x on a 7600gt gpu.
I dont know.. I dont have any FPS loss on lfs.. Not even in SO..

6600GT in my own around 130fps..
I haven't notest a FPS loss. I've just notest the better looking South city. still get
60-200FPS
FPS problem:

Well, after installing new latest test patch (X30 and X31 same problems) the frame rate is about ~150.

Ok, average 120-130 fps certainly isn´t bad, but a fps-lost of nearly 50 % is a little shock for me.
With patch W i got about ~280

Tested on SO Chi, Mulitplayer with 20 drivers
MB ASUS P965
INTEL C2D E6700
2 x 1GB DDr2 PC-800, CL4
8800 GTX Asus
Windows XP SP2
Quick question if I may, for you guys who have systems that are capable of in excess of 75 fps.

Is this because your screen has a higher refresh rate (i.e. more than 75 hertz), or is there a way to measure extra 'wasted' frames that the monitor can't use?

Cheers
/d
i think its about how you setup your display driver, if you restrict it to your monitors refresh rate, no programm will send more fps, if you don't, it will send up to 100whatever frames to your screen nomatter if it can display it.

I have mine locked on 60 fps, for my screen using 60 hertz (Yakumo 17"TFT)
Quote from ACCAkut :...if you restrict it to your monitors refresh rate, no programm will send more fps, if you don't, it will send up to 100whatever frames to your screen nomatter if it can display it.

I have mine locked on 60 fps, for my screen using 60 hertz (Yakumo 17"TFT)

just because you have your monitor @ lets say 75Hz in windows, doesnt mean a game cant say 150fps, if you have V-sync then it will drop to what you set in windows. but your monitor can use much more then lfs can send anyhow i mean, your screen aint the bottleneck when it comes to FPS if you dont use v-sync..

i have my screen at 1280x1024@60Hz in Windows, w/o v-sync, and in LFS i have almost 170 fps constant...
Aah, OK. Thanks for the replies guys.

I think the first thing I'll check is V-sync.

It sounds like that could be the culprit.

Cheers
/d
i meant it that way that the screen likely ignores everything above its refresh rate, it can't limit the ingame fps in any way (without locking in driver)
Hi when i play online with say 10 other cars i get around 15fps why is it so low i have just bought a brand new comp with vista and a brand new dell 17" screen the comp is a acer
Quote from viper-2007 :Hi when i play online with say 10 other cars i get around 15fps why is it so low i have just bought a brand new comp with vista and a brand new dell 17" screen the comp is a acer

Your 17" screen aint gonna make lfs faster . Maybe because your CPU/GFX card cant take it? Not every Brandnew computer's are fast.

Spinoff : Frame rates / graphics cards
(105 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG