The online racing simulator
well, I have a problem with these patches ... since I have installed U25 my FPS decrease like hell .. before i was at almost 30 fps alone (24-25 with 1 or 2 cars more). But now when i play alone I have only 25 FPS and when there is another car on the screen i have only 12-13 FPS (°.°)
how can i fix that ? can you do smthg for me plz ?

thx
Quote from liberto :well, I have a problem with these patches ... since I have installed U25 my FPS decrease like hell .. before i was at almost 30 fps alone (24-25 with 1 or 2 cars more). But now when i play alone I have only 25 FPS and when there is another car on the screen i have only 12-13 FPS (°.°)
how can i fix that ? can you do smthg for me plz ?

thx

You must get the U exe from your version U download, and copy it over your current LFS.exe

Then please come back and report if it actually solves the frame rate problem. That proves that the recent patch causes the problem. Otherwise you may have just developed some computer fault at about the same time as you installed the test patch.

And by the way, have you rebooted? I thought most people turned their computer off at night, so rebooted each morning. But there have been recent reports of people never rebooting their computer, and wondering why it got slow. That is the first thing to try.
@ Scawen : i installed LFS U and then patched to U20 and it was good with FPS (almost 30 alone and 25 with another car) then i installed U27 and i had this FPS bug again ... so i reboot my computer as you say but no effect .. 15 fps again with 1 car on the screen :s

hope you can fix that in the future patch
Quote from liberto :@ Scawen : i installed LFS U and then patched to U20 and it was good with FPS (almost 30 alone and 25 with another car) then i installed U27 and i had this FPS bug again ... so i reboot my computer as you say but no effect .. 15 fps again with 1 car on the screen :s

hope you can fix that in the future patch

I can't fix it because I don't have a clue what it could be.

Can you try turning off some things?

SHIFT+N turn off sound
SHIFT+M turn off mirrors
Turn off trees
Turn off flags
Whatever you can find in the Graphics Options...

Maybe turning off one of these things will give you a great increase in frame rate and then we will have our first clue where to look for the problem.
i dont have mirrors
i displayed trees and flags

i'm going to try sound
#7 - siLc
Where can i get patch u24 back. Since that my fps has dropped dramatically.
Quote from siLc :Where can i get patch u24 back. Since that my fps has dropped dramatically.

You can get it by editing the links to any test patch, just right click and copy shortcut.

But before you do, why not try and find out where the problem is? For example, if you switch off Sound or any Graphical features, does the frame rate increase? Because if we find that out, maybe I can fix it, or else you will be stuck on U24 for ever!

One other person has reported a loss of frame rate.
Quote from siLc :Where can i get patch u24 back. Since that my fps has dropped dramatically.

I have the same problem i thought it was drivers and it wasnt so....... now i know Cheers, Thanks Scawen
Quote from robertchapple123 :I have the same problem i thought it was drivers and it wasnt so....... now i know Cheers, Thanks Scawen

Well, what was it? LFS now gives a better frame rate than any older S2 version.
I noticed that scawen, I gained like 30 FPS switching from U25 - U28. Its phenomenal
important message to scawen : i think I've found why FPS decrease since U25
I tested few things but the only one who really change something with FPS is "sound". When I turn sound off I'm getting more FPS but not as much as in U20 .. So i think there is another reason ... but I think that sound is the major problem (maybe because you modified sounds blocs ... )
#13 - siLc
Quote from Scawen :You can get it by editing the links to any test patch, just right click and copy shortcut.

But before you do, why not try and find out where the problem is? For example, if you switch off Sound or any Graphical features, does the frame rate increase? Because if we find that out, maybe I can fix it, or else you will be stuck on U24 for ever!

One other person has reported a loss of frame rate.

I switched off sound and i gained few frames but still cant play with it
Scawen : did you read my reply about FPS decreasing ? I think i have the solution

EDIT : ehh i think it's since U21 ... because I patch from U20 to U25 in one time So the problem could come from U21, U22, U23, U24 or U25
if i have time and patience i will try every patch (from U21 to U25 )
Quote from -liberto- :Scawen : did you read my reply about FPS decreasing ? I think i have the solution

EDIT : ehh i think it's since U21 ... because I patch from U20 to U25 in one time So the problem could come from U21, U22, U23, U24 or U25
if i have time and patience i will try every patch (from U21 to U25 )

I am slightly disturbed by your loss of frame rate but so far we have only heard that from three people : you, siLc and robertchapple123. More than 500 people have downloaded the patch.

It's strange because I can't recall any changed to graphics and there are certainly no changes in physics (or the replays would go out of sync). As it is only affecting so few people, I don't have much to go on, and won't really do anything at the moment, with this small amount of info.

But yes, I would be interested to know exactly which patch seemed to result in the massive loss of frame rate. I'd also like to know if the frame rate is low when you have the game paused. And also what happens when you press SHIFT+F to remove the 2d display? These results will help to suggest if it is a 2d text problem or 3d graphics, or something else.
Well, you don't know how many people just download it, install it, and uninstall it again do to issues, without any reports.
I have heard about such things already a couple of times, where people knew how to reproduce a bug, but didnt post it. (I told them to post that here, or I posted those report myself)
Scawen, I'm not sure u've seen that : Liberto problem seems to be sound related (DirectSound issue?)
Quote from -liberto- :important message to scawen : i think I've found why FPS decrease since U25
I tested few things but the only one who really change something with FPS is "sound". When I turn sound off I'm getting more FPS but not as much as in U20 .. So i think there is another reason ... but I think that sound is the major problem (maybe because you modified sounds blocs ... )

He'll post his hardware's details too, including sound card

lol, and he can play with that (see below )
@ Scawen : i tried to play without any 2d graphic >> same problem
i'm going to try when the game is in "pause"

btw here is my system configuration :
Microsoft XP Pro SP1
Celeron 1.70 Ghz
512 Mo RAM
sound : C-Media AC97 Audio Device (last driver : 27/6/2006)
graphic card : Geforce 2 MX400 (well very bad i know )

maybe that could help you
Quote from -liberto- :@ Scawen : i tried to play without any 2d graphic >> same problem
i'm going to try when the game is in "pause"

btw here is my system configuration :
Microsoft XP Pro SP1
Celeron 1.70 Ghz
512 Mo RAM
sound : C-Media AC97 Audio Device (last driver : 27/6/2006)
graphic card : Geforce 2 MX400 (well very bad i know )

maybe that could help you

I know this is not the best place to say this, but why still running SP1?
Try upgrading to SP2, install all patches released after SP2, install the latest version of DirectX.
Quote from -liberto- :graphic card : Geforce 2 MX400 (well very bad i know )

If there's one thing you can do to your computer, it's get a new graphics card.

I know you don't want to spend much money on your ageing system, but you really don't need to. GeForce 2 was a good card BUT it is about the last in the generation of cards that could not do hardware vertex shading.

There are so many old cards, nowadays low spec and cheap, that do have hardware vertex shading! Almost any card later than GeForce 2 will do the job! You only need a card from a few years ago to improve your LFS!

GeForce 2 runs ok with 1 car on screen but any more, it is struggling. Every vertex and polygon is sent to the card, every frame. With hardware vertex shading, the objects are already on the card, LFS just says "draw the object at this position" instead of sending thousands of polygons! So they do not suffer this slowdown. You will have a GREAT increase in frame rate with any card that can do HVS.
Quote from Scawen :If there's one thing you can do to your computer, it's get a new graphics card.

yes i know but i need to wait 1 year (till i finish my studies) and then I'll buy a new computer

Quote from Scawen :You will have a GREAT increase in frame rate with any card that can do HVS.

what do you mean when thinking to HVS ? (maybe Hardware Vertex Shading ?)
Yes, Hardware Vertex Shading.

I thought you might be able to get an old graphics card that does HVS for a few Euros.

Other than that, I can't help because LFS relies on HVS.
well i'm going to search if i can find that ... because i need a graphic card with either AGP4x or AGP8x.
By the way, if you have one graphic card name in mind, can you say it to me please ?
thx
#25 - Jakg
ATi 9600XT? 9800 Pro? AGP 6600GT?

Spinoff : Frame rates / graphics cards
(105 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG