The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Jertje :Yay for the promotions! I must say... the B-Class green is absolutely ghastly

I'll have to reluctantly change some of my colours now, yellow just doesn't look that great in comparison to orange.

Yeah, that green does look terrible. Yellow is not too bad. I like your new helmet, btw.

On a different note: I won the Division 3 13th week Solstice challenge! Yay!

(It wasn't really competitive, tbh. Only 8 people had 3 weeks counted, but this is as good as it will get for me, so I'm happy. )
Nice Heiko, grats I was having fun in the solstice as well.

I really hope the fix the rookie promotions for the guys that did the requirements in week 13...I really wanted to try the late model stuff.

I've yet to see it in game yet, but so far I've got a dark green top and bottom with a matching yellow nose section to go with my license color on the skippy.

...I restrained myself from making the large purchase lol.

Right now I just grabbed Silverstone, the late model, and USA speedway. That'll give me 2 weeks to try the late model before buying new content, and Silverstone is used before my Bday in a few weeks...they just need to give me a D license now :]
I wish the iracing forums allowed one post per week/month or whatever to fly past the rules in the sporting code...

It takes a long time to write a post full of satisfying words and phrases, and then go back and edit them out.

The cock suckers over there that aren't affected at all by the 13th week promotion thing are really starting to get on my nerves. They aren't affected at all, gtfo the thread and stop saying its no big deal, or that we don't deserve to be promoted.

**** balls

/rant
thanks

I've calmed down a bit now lol, that helped a lot surprisingly. I came back and read it later and had a good laugh. (still really hoping they make good on the promotion..it'll suck to be behind a whole 12 weeks).

Anyways, between working (procrastinating) on my speech for tomorrow, I did a lot of sessions in the legend car and got my SR up to 4.0. I just had my first race in the late models and I'm pretty glad I got em!

I qualified first with a 22.45, and was completely lost on the start. This is like my 10th oval race ever, if that. I am used to the legend tracks where the green flag is thrown really quickly...it was a longgggggg ways down there.

Second place got a jump and I spent 30 laps trying to figure out how to pass someone on this tiny track in the fattest car I've driven yet lol. I finally figured it out and got a run underneath him and we went like 5 or 6 turns side by side until he fell back in behind me. I cruised to the end after that. It was good fun overall though. I'll definitely keep going with it!

This week I'm still planning on racing the skippy at infineon, and next week I'm gonna get ready for the mazda at silverstone...I hope I learn to love the mazda here pretty quickly.

I'm gonna have to wait to run the radical when it gets to a track I own..I think that'll be silverstone as well. Doesn't matter much since I need to get my license up to 4.0 from 3.55..shouldn't take too long hopefully.
Quote from Quint999 :.

A fair proportion of us got in towards the end of Season 2 on the 1st invite stage and we didnt have to do a full season either (& i suspect theres a few of them amongst the neysayers).

too right, i made my d licence with jus 8 days experience on the second invite, as i said elsewhere i recon to go from rookie to d licence should just be a matter of being registered for 4 weeks and having comlpeted the requirements, the current system doesn't exactly encourage people to join at the start of a season and either penalises those who join near the end and don't realise the time constraint or gives a big leg up to those that do.
I see the Corvette C6-R is planned for iRacing. Very nice a GTR car is on its way
Attached images
c6r.jpg
Yep, I agree they had to promote people. The poor iRacing employee who wrote the post will be getting a reeming no doubt.
woohoo I'm 3.59 D oval and 3.55 C road now

I always figured they'd make good on it.
Quote from spanks :woohoo I'm 3.59 D oval and 3.55 C road now

I always figured they'd make good on it.

ummm..........
Quote from StableX :ummm..........

.........? um?

rough day, lost .1 in the skippy lol. Found out that my setup understeers like a mofo for the first 6 laps before I can start cranking out low 48's. With less gas in it during qual I could do that from lap 1.
Having played iRacing now for a few days I am feeling a bit bored of it. I don't particulary like the racing system.

BUT the physics model is fantastic, and ignoring early troubles its a VERY slick bit of software.

I know EXACTLY why iRacing want me to feel bored - so I buy more cars! But I am not paying a demo of a car might change my mind, but iRacing isn't too business smart on this. I can't see ANY dissadvantages allowing a 10 minute demo of car. It makes PERFECT sense. try before you buy!

Also, regarding tracks. I couldn't give a f*ck about whether the track is a real track or whether it's made up. In fact I prefer made up tracks because they are new, and offer something different. I really can't be assed to drive the SAME tracks!

I am still in belief that laser scannng is nothing more than a red herring also. BUT it does make perfect business sense for iRacing to have laser scanning and real tracks. It's fantastic for marketing, and IS what people in general want. On tracks my annoyance is a personal one, but the not demoing cars thing should be changed! It just amkes money sense!

I know this is probably the 1,000,000th user review of iRacing

One thing iRacing and it's phsyics model has achieved is to expose that naivety of the hardware currently available.
Quote :I am still in belief that laser scannng is nothing more than a red herring also. BUT it does make perfect business sense for iRacing to have laser scanning and real tracks. It's fantastic for marketing, and IS what people in general want. On tracks my annoyance is a personal one, but the not demoing cars thing should be changed! It just amkes money sense!

Well I believe the tracks bring a lot to the sim. If you haven't yet, take a look at a vid of the trucks goin around daytona. I haven't seen that intense of bumps in any sim yet.

In my short time in the legend cars I found a bump coming out of one of the turns at South Boston that when I could manage to hit it helped turn the car on exit.

There are bumps all over the place on the road course tracks that make things more lively and interesting, and aren't made up.

What is it a red herring for though, you didn't mention. What are the laser scanned tracks drawing the attention away from?

I agree, they really should offer demos of the cars.
I genuinely think the laser scanning is a great thing... if it makes for more accurate tracks then what's to lose? I do agree that it's a pain in the ass not being able to test cars you don't own, even if it would only be for 10 minutes... I suppose they're banking on people just buying them to try them.
I'm thinking that the lack of demos is due to their racing model.
It's arguably pointless to give out demos of cars when you need to drive those cars to compete in the next class anyway. Heck, I know nothing of the new lotus but I'll buy it to race in class A and I wouldn't think twice about trying it actually. What they essentially want is to have all the cars at the same level of development: as near to perfect as they can get them.

So if you're driving around in the Solstice, and you like the sim and decide that it's worth your money by the end of your trial month, they expect their customers to dish out the extra money for the Skippy and the required tracks. It's absolutely not an option (at least in my mind) to race in the sim with just the basic cars. Their business-model is based entirely around customers buying in for 3-12 months and using the iMoney they get to buy a new car and eventually roll into the next tier of tracks and cars, and so on.

Giving customers a chance to try other cars would just be a nice gesture really. If you like the sim itself for its physics/tracks and enjoy the mechanics of the system, then they probably expect you to keep racing and go up through the licenses. For that you need to buy new cars anyway, and trying them isn't likely to give customers the last push they need to commit for a couple of months. There's also (I could be speculating here) the off-chance that customers whom can barely control the Solstice try out the Radical, and then decide that it's too difficult and give up entirely on spending any more time/money/effort into the sim. It makes sense for everyone to advance through the system in order. So in the end I think they might have thought about their model a bit more than everyone assumes.

Of course, I could be totally wrong here :P
Quote from Intrepid :I am still in belief that laser scannng is nothing more than a red herring also.

The Laser scanned tracks, which i thought would be just a gimmick, are actually the only thing in iRacing that i absolutely love. I think thats what makes it stand out as a sim.
If you stuck those tracks in LFS or nKPro i firmly belive both sims would stand up really well to iRacing. The tracks make all the difference.

iRacing without laser scanned tracks would be just another sim. LFS and nKPros physics stand up really well imo.
Quote from spanks :rough day, lost .1 in the skippy lol. Found out that my setup understeers like a mofo for the first 6 laps before I can start cranking out low 48's. With less gas in it during qual I could do that from lap 1.

Now that you mention it: I feel the ability to put different amount of fuel in the car has really shown how great the physics of iRacing are. Before you'd just slowly burn off fuel and the car would subtly change. For someone who is as insensitive to these things as I am, it was hardly noticeable how the balance of the car changed (I did always have the remote notion that my skippy changed through the course of a race, but could never put my finger on it). Now, I can test it back to back, and, boy, does it make a difference. My skippy setup for Inf long goes from perfectly driveable with a full tank of gas to really loose, verging on scary (I'm exaggerating a bit here) with the minimum in it.

I'm currently contemplating whether I should go with an arb of 7 (good at the beginning of the race, but dangerous towards the end, when my concentration wears off) or 6, which gives too much body roll in the esses at the beginning of the race, but is more comfy near the end.

I think this is awesome and adds a whole bunch of depth to iRacing for me.
What the laser scanning does is that it makes the track surface "alive" in certain way. It's no more just a flat piece of polygon face you're driving on like in LFS or some sine wave randomness like in rf. It's much closer to the real surface. And the tracks like VIR, Infineon and Lime rock are also really nice tracks and the surface modelling really adds positively making them really great tracks to drive on. I can't wait to try modern Mosport (modern version at last!), Watkins glen or Road atlanta with some decent machinery.

It's not essentially the laser scanning that does it, it is the track surface which isn't artificially bumpy or artificially flat.

As for the sim engines, I really honestly still do believe that LFS (or even nk) could somewhat match iracing physics if some of the obvious stuff would be solved in LFS (longnitudal grip, sliding, heating). And that's just mostly (about 57.264%) about the data put in in the physics engine! Not saying it is easy but iracing isn't that far ahead either. LFS could challenge iracing and I'm kinda sad that lfs isn't even slightly interested in doing so :/

After doing laps in the FZ50 and then jumping into solskie I always have the same feeling of which has better data and which has better phys engine
Quote from Hyperactive :It's not essentially the laser scanning that does it, it is the track surface which isn't artificially bumpy or artificially flat.

Aye, that's the point i tried to make, but worded it poorly.
Intrepid. I don't blame you for thinking the tracks make no difference. You are driving the car, Solstice , that has the least amount of FFB in the SIM. If you were to say drive the Skippy you would soon realise what we are talking about. The Solstice does not do this sim justice. If you believe the sim is good now, trust us, buy a year and use your 60 iDollar and get everything you need to run the skippy. You will be floored.

BTW you never did mention what it is about the "system" you don't like.
I have to agree with Hyper. LFS Physics are great and could challege iRacing in the physics department. They are close. But I think iRacing is still ahead atm. Especially on the FFB side and especially after the patch.
Quote :buy a year and use your 60 iDollar and get everything you need to run the skippy

I was just typing out a post about this but I deleted as was waffling on a bit I wanted to ask you guys for advice on what the $60 credit would best be spent on if I went for the yearly subscription (which I'm tending towards). I thought- definitely the skippy, but I'm not so sure about tracks, other cars, etc?
Quote from Electrik Kar : I thought- definitely the skippy, but I'm not so sure about tracks, other cars, etc?

You should check out what tracks the Skippy series is being run on.

Personally, i would get V.I.R and the Radical straight away
Quote from The Moose :The Laser scanned tracks, which i thought would be just a gimmick, are actually the only thing in iRacing that i absolutely love. I think thats what makes it stand out as a sim.
If you stuck those tracks in LFS or nKPro i firmly belive both sims would stand up really well to iRacing. The tracks make all the difference.

iRacing without laser scanned tracks would be just another sim. LFS and nKPros physics stand up really well imo.

Yes the bumps and detail of the tracks are FANTASTIC. But my point was that I don't care about how accurate the track is compared to reality. It really is just aesthetic.

if the tracks were completely made up, and had the same level of detail I would be as happy, or more, with that. The reason is they would be something new and challenging. I really can't be bothered to do another lap of Laguna Seca

It's not the fact the tracks are 'real' life tracks, its the fact they are bumpy and what not that makes the difference. However I have come to the understanding the artificially creating those bumps can be hard.

This is a personal feeling though.
Quote from Electrik Kar :I was just typing out a post about this but I deleted as was waffling on a bit I wanted to ask you guys for advice on what the $60 credit would best be spent on if I went for the yearly subscription (which I'm tending towards). I thought- definitely the skippy, but I'm not so sure about tracks, other cars, etc?

If you want to race the Skippy series you need, The car, VIR and Infineon. I can't tell how much they are. The price disapears once you buy it. But you 60 should cover that and you should be able to get even more. If I remember corectly I got a lot of stuff with my 60. Remember if you get 6 items or more you get 20% off. The more you buy the cheeper it is.
Quote from Electrik Kar : I thought- definitely the skippy, but I'm not so sure about tracks, other cars, etc?

As moose has said, look firstly at what series you might want to run this season. Oval or Road..... if it's road, then you'd more than likely go for the skippy and if it's the oval then probably the late model to start with.

If you click on SERIES then the "+" for the car in question, it will show you the tracks for the series and the total cost for the car and tracks to compete in the full series!

Be aware that if you buy 6 items you get a 20% discount, so if you need, say 5 items, it can be worth buying an extra treat to ensure you get the 20% discount - this 6th item can mean you pay less overall than buying 5 items
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG