The online racing simulator
The end of the world
(393 posts, started )
LOL nice one
Well, Were still all living. Hmmm.... That BBQ in Heaven sounded pretty good
Are their goal to find a other dimensoion? O_o
Belived they tried to recreate the situation of the unvivers some millionth second after big bang, and to find this "god particle" so they can finally understand what the universe is build up off
Again, I am lost in my own head, how the hell should I be able to understand this? Lerts, help me
Quote from Shotglass :heres something with somewhat higher production values about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... 9hgKc&feature=related

btw how the hell do you detect another dimension?

We can detect 3 just by looking, and a fourth without even opening our eyes. That humans can't detect any more without equipment doesn't necessarily mean they are that well hidden from us. Just because we haven't yet doesn't mean we can't or won't, or that it will be especially difficult - conventional wisdom and all that.
Doomsday comes so often in media recently that it should become a regular day of the week.
Quote from Juls :Doomsday comes so often in media recently that it should become a regular day of the week.

Quoted!
I don't know if this has been posted yet but:

http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

On a serious note, even though my studies of particle physics seem like a distant memory, I look forward to seeing what they make of the tests in October.

And seeing people get all worried about the world being destroyed is quite entertaining too
Quote from Becky Rose :I mades a you tube about it

Sexually transmitted disease HAHA, you could have said a modern day, more inhuman kinda king midas matter

How many people with adhd does it take to make a video about string theory: "oo a moth" :P

Oh by the way nice vid, sort of a "string theory and LHC info for dummies" if you get me
Quote from RossUK :I don't know if this has been posted yet but:

http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

On a serious note, even though my studies of particle physics seem like a distant memory, I look forward to seeing what they make of the tests in October.

And seeing people get all worried about the world being destroyed is quite entertaining too

Interesting comment at the bottom of the source code for that page for the more geekily inclined.
Quote from Becky Rose :Interesting comment at the bottom of the source code for that page for the more geekily inclined.

Yep lol, and the bit that says:

if (!(typeof worldHasEnded == "undefined")) {
document.write("YUP.");
} else {
document.write("NOPE.");
}

becky i find what you say very interesting, and you are very inteligent you proved it when you understood that if my inertial thruster based on eliptical pattern worked it would lead to free energy, you saw it right the spot yet for me it took 5 years of thinking

so my view on doomsday:

12-21-11:11 is exactly winter solstice and end of long count maya calendar

it cant be that exactly at the exact same moment of solstice magnetic field shifts

it would be too much of a coincidence

now i know by personal experience that somethings gonna happen, im kind of pshychic, i have precognitions and i saw during some time the numbers 12 21 11 11 every where, and as me there are million who experience the same

it cant be a coincidence

in my opinion the long count mayan calendar points to the end of the fall of man

it cant be a catasthrophe since if it was so it should have been pointed to any other date rather to a solstice, is like if nukes fell over and showed their pattern in the screen the message PEACE

so i disagree on your view of 2012 being the end of the world

is the begining of a new world
and I bet nothing would happen.

you know, I foresee that, when I work hard in the toliet, I see things when really big piece of shits comes out........
this big bang thing is just another highly overrated thing , all over the news yesturday and in a week everyone will forget it . just like global warming , bird flu , and many other things.
@Lerts: Sometimes we recognise something because we want to see it, because in actuality humans look at the world in a very simple way with very simple iconography and that means that we can recognise those simple patterns when they reoccur.

Like a bush shaped like the head of Jesus, is a round topped shape bush with a few darker breaks in the leaf pattern underneath just a coincidence, or a sign of the second coming? Well, what other personalities from history could be seen if you stared at the same shape? A few roman emporers maybe, some bloke from down the street, and it also might look a little bit like the bins we used to have at railway stations years ago.

We have such a simple view of the world and the iconography that makes up our history and popular culture that we tend to see that which we relate too, rather than that which is there. We can build a conspiracy theory into anything just because we want there to be one, and where would we be without a good doomsday to fear? I've lived through lots of doomsdays already, the exact quantity is hard to tell without immediate access to a Jehova's Witness, but quite a lot.

The 21st December is no different, except people close to me genuinely fear it, as have people throughout history. So which one of these nay sayers was first, the date has travelled through history with it's own subcontinous, and re-ocurred, because people want to believe it's the end.

We know the Mayans where expert astronomers, we know they did calculations of astrological bodies and their orbits and what have you far more accurately than we do! They saw the planetary alignment with the milky way and then what...

Well they said it was the end, was this because of an earlier religious belief of their culture? Had they just got to the limits of their science and didn't know what would happen after? Did they have a conflict of their own between religion and science as we have today? Maybe the people who made the calender knew what happened next but didnt want to publish it for fear of religious persecution?

We see a doomsday scenario because that's what we want to see. But in reality, aren't we just echoing an old myth because we don't have the information we need to know any better?
Don't black holes come from stars many, many, many times the size of the sun when they go supernova? If so, how the hell would two protons colliding make a black hole?
Quote from LFSn00b :<snip>
also from the lhchasdestroyedsomething.com site:

"</script>
<!-- if the lhc actually destroys the earth & this page isn't yet updated
please email [email protected] to receive a full refund -->
</body>
</html>"

I think that is what Becky was actually referring to
Because they're impacting with such great energy they believe they will alter the fabric of the protons which collide, causing them to create both matter and anti-matter, and whatever else comes along with it.

We're creating matter, or rather, converting things from one dimensional state to another. If we create new matter would it have a cascade effect? Well we dont know because we've not done it before... but we're pretty sure that wont happen because there are similar examples in nature of it happening all the time that dont result in new universes popping up, we just cant mount gigantic sensors on the fringers of our atmosphere and wait for an impact in exactly the right spot.

However some fear mongering do gooders are fearful that doing such collisions underground and looking at the results will end the universe, but this should come as no suprise as some people believe that this machine has been built to give the devil easy access to McDonalds and is a masonic harbinger of doom.

Ultimately what's going on here is that science thinks it has the answers to the unanswerable questions and intends to prove them, which has got a lot of dress wearing boy buggerers very worried. If they understood it however it shouldnt bother them in the least, because proving the big bang, or understanding a little more about quantum physics and testing some concepts of string theory does not effect whether the universe was created by a diety, it merely demonstrates how the universe was made (In Christian theology, it might tell us what God's voice sounded like when he said, 'And let there be light'). Although it might through the timeline of Genesis a little off.
actually my point is that theres no dooms day scenario as de devils lead us to believe

on the contray goods to come, either a breakthrough by cern or the enlightening of humanity in 2012
Quote from lerts :the enlightening of humanity in 2012

The Olympics in Britain? Probably be the same as previous olympics really...
Quote from tristancliffe :The Olympics in Britain? Probably be the same as previous olympics really...

They say the Olympics stadium will be so big it will cause a small black hole to appear.

Or was that something else?
OFAQ. Another doomsday approaches... =/
Quote from RossUK :They say the Olympics stadium will be so big it will cause a small black hole to appear.

Or was that something else?

No no, Manchester is already there

The end of the world
(393 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG