The online racing simulator
The end of the world
(393 posts, started )
Quote :
Guys if you think about what is actually happening in the LHC - its just hitting two little bits together really really fast. Why would it spawn a black hole if its just a collision and a transfer of momentum and energy? Its all silly talk.

and
Quote :Are stranglets actually confirmed to exist? I thought they were just another "theory" from the press of what could happen to the earth.

From what I can tell it's a bit like the LFS collision physics. The thingamies are going to hit each other really fast and they believe this will create matter. What they dont know is exactly what type of matter will be created.

Somewhere else it was asked recently why dead stars become iron, and that's because iron is the most stable element at a sub-atomic level. Why dead stars need to be stable is quite complicated, but basically they're not down with the whole emo thing in their after life.

When the big discy thing under Geneva impacts its first proton thingamigigs what they hope will happen is that the vibrational frequency of the strings they believe build these proton thingamies will change, so that instead of creating light energy they are instead creating something else. This could be anything from matter, to anti-matter, to nuclear energy (no dont worry, not the Hiroshima kind, although honestly who'd miss Geneva anyway?) or a combination of all of these.

The plan is to do this under a number of really big sensor type things that can measure all sorts of interesting data. They think that they will re-enact the big bang at a miniscule level.

One of the problems with doing this is we dont know what matter will be created, and there is no reason to assume that the Quark thingamies will be the same as those in our current universe. It could be a 'strange' Quark thingamy that's more stable than our own, in which case anything that comes into contact with it - much like a dying sun becomes iron - will turn into stranglet matter.

This rather unappealling and slow death doomsday scenario is of course hypothesis bred from paranoia, but is not without foundation - I mean, the whole string theory at the moment is a science relying on faith in the first place. The mathematical models it is based on (there are 5 different ones under M-Theory, i'm not sure why they need more than one, I figure scientists are just gready) so if we can believe in the string theory, we can believe it's going to screw us over too - much like God's do.

Infact string theory can arguably explain God too, if a piece of string is halved in width it doubles in length (ok it gets week here as string is a singular dimension, but it is basically how string theory works), at a width of 0 length would therefor become infinite, and thus you achieve omnipresence. However you cannot reach 0 mathematically without subtracting (which doesnt work in the mathematical model) and therefore 0 cannot exist, God therefore is nothing and nothing does not exist. Assuming God is answering to a piece of string anyway, but at least we know now that the flying spaghetti monster didnt make him.

Oh hey do I win that prize now?
I can't believe they're actually allowed to put the whole world in danger just to figure out how it all started...
Quote from becky Rose :but The Universe Can, At No Point, Be Smaller Than A String, Contained Within That String Will Be 1 Or More Dimensions With All The Matter In, Therefor The The Big Crunch Wont Necessarily Increase The Square Footage Cost Of Land On Manhattan Island.

We Perceive The Universe In 3 Dimensions, With Time Being Our Fourth. String Theory Is Consistent With A 10, 11, 16, Or 32 Dimension Universe. Therefore The Universe Might Well Be Compacting In Other Dimensions, Whilst Expanding In Our Own.

As You Can See, I've Not Quite Worked This Bit Out Yet, But Neither Has Steven Hawkin Either, So I'm Excused.

Quote from lerts :oh Becky I Love When You Talk Dirty

11 Dimensions This Gets Me On

Best Quote Ever!!
Well, people think that men in coats know everything so they can get away with what they please -_-

O_O @ Above post

Lerts really needs a restraining order... and a shrink
Quote from evilpimp :I can't believe they're actually allowed to put the whole world in danger just to figure out how it all started...

I haven't, no more than normal.

The scaremongering is a combination of the normal media response to anything they don't understand, scream bloody murder, and the relgious community getting pretty scared that they may be found out, so they do what they always do, try and control the masses with fear.
Quote from mookie427 :IF something happens, it's likely to be along the lines of a magnetic reversal, which would spell disaster for anything that happened to be in the air at the time, planes would drop out the sky etc, compasses would be all but useless, birds would go crazy.

Erm... magnetic reversals take a few thouand years. It's happening right now, which is why maps have adjustments for magnetic north drift on them.
Quote :magnetic reversals take a few thouand years. It's happening right now, which is why maps have adjustments for magnetic north drift on them.

Isn't it theorised that pole shifts could occur very rapidly? I've certainly heard doomsday scientists predicting the viability of it, although I dont understand the mechanics behind it personally.
anyone up for a forum meet on short notice? well drive down to cern find a nice little hill somewhere in the centre of the ring get out the barbeque grill and set up the "hawkins epoch fail" viewing area... if the world ends anytime soon we might as well get the most out of it and have the best view

Quote from TFalke55 :Mathematically: these two particles will have the energy of two Thrust SSCs driving with maximum speed and chrash nose into nose... only difference: the energy will be in one point in CERN.

nonsense
wiki quotes the higer energy lead ions at 1146tev which is the same as 70kg of human travelling at the astounding speed of... wait for it... 0.0082 kmh

Quote from Biohazard :Well, yes. The world will end on wednesday and the human race will be eliminated.
So what are you afraid of?

actually the great prophet dna said it will end on a thrusday
They're not actually firing the particle that collides with it this week though are they? That's later this month. There's room for a Thursday yet !
from what ive read the first high energy collisions will happen on october 21. which is a tuesday sadly
These people are the smartest people alive, why do many people have no faith in them?
Quote from niall09 :These people are the smartest people alive, why do many people have no faith in them?

Interesting question.

You do realise that string theory, what this whole experiment is based upon, is a science of faith. It is the scientific equivellent of Buddism, encompassing all other sciences within it and requiring a leap of faith to be true as the theory itself is unproveable.

I have no more faith in the religion of scientists than I do in the religion of the nearest God botherer.

That's not to say that I disbelieve in string theory, i'm agnostic not aesthiest. Of all faiths it is the one that is least likely to be incorrect, and i'm doing my best to wrap my simple mind around it and understand it so that I can be better informed, but it's holy book - a mathematical equation written with symbols I dont understand - hasnt been translated into English yet.
Quote from niall09 :These people are the smartest people alive, why do many people have no faith in them?

Maybe cause they never tested this stuff on a larger scale? They're making asumptions based on some small models, they have no idea what will happen..
This went too far, this whole crazy scientist technology stuff, i laughed at my brother cause he took this way too seriously, but he's right.. Who are they to mess up with these stuff, who authorized this?? MONEY have, you chunk couple of bilions and they would authorize their own mother to be a guinney pig in a cloning experiment..
Quote from Shotglass :from what ive read the first high energy collisions will happen on october 21. which is a tuesday sadly

Marvelous, the day I fly back from Australia
Quote from danowat :Marvelous, the day I fly back from Australia

lucky bastard... i hope there will be clouds so you cant enjoy the view from above
I don't know. I rather vaporize in a big bang than to be living in a world ruled by a medieval mindset where people are hostile towards everything they don't know.

So basically, it's a win-win situation: either humankind will be put out of it's misery, or people will actually gain trust in science again.

But then, there's also a chance that nothing would happen. No apocalypse and no scientifical break through. Which would suck.
Quote from ColeusRattus :I don't know. I rather vaporize in a big bang than to be living in a world ruled by a medieval mindset where people are hostile towards everything they don't know.

So basically, it's a win-win situation: either humankind will be put out of it's misery, or people will actually gain trust in science again.

But then, there's also a chance that nothing would happen. No apocalypse and no scientifical break through. Which would suck.

But what exactly are benefits of this whole thing, can someone please explain, other than "oh... so, thaaaaat's how universe started, ok, let's go home now"
Aren't those bilions better spent in some high-tech cancer research or something like that? Of course it's not, multi-bilion drug companies and hospitals would lose a lot of money...
Quote from Boris Lozac :But what exactly are benefits of this whole thing, can someone please explain, other than "oh... so, thaaaaat's how universe started, ok, let's go home now"
Aren't those bilions better spent in some high-tech cancer research or something like that? Of course it's not, multi-bilion drug companies and hospitals would lose a lot of money...

Well, we can't exactly know for sure what the benefits will be. And I don't think it will have immediate practicable results, BUT understanding better how the universe (or multiverse) works will have great impact in the long run, even more so than for example the discovery of the atom did (which was quite useless back then too).
Quote from ColeusRattus :Well, we can't exactly know for sure what the benefits will be. And I don't think it will have immediate practicable results, BUT understanding better how the universe (or multiverse) works will have great impact in the long run, even more so than for example the discovery of the atom did (which was quite useless back then too).

I just hope it is worth it, i was never good at chemistry and all that, so i'm just talking jiberish, but is this energy related in any way with nuclear energy, or atomic energy? I mean, atomic bomb in size of a car, destroyed a large portion of Japan and still has consequenses, i just hope this is not the same kind of energy and it is being used in different way, cause the sheer size of this thing is scary..
They aren't starting to collide particles until October, they are just doing a single beam test, they did a smaller one in August, so there's still a few months till we start the looting :/
Quote from Becky Rose :Isn't it theorised that pole shifts could occur very rapidly? I've certainly heard doomsday scientists predicting the viability of it, although I dont understand the mechanics behind it personally.

The 'Very Rapidly' discussed is still years and years, certainly not instantaneous.

The end of the world
(393 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG