The online racing simulator
The end of the world
(393 posts, started )
The end of the world
So as everyone at school has being saying i guess the world might end on Wednesday. This is because the partical accelerator thing is being used then to simulate the big bang. There is a possibility that this may cause a black hole destroying the planet.

Soo what are your views on this?
#2 - BAMBO
I think you watched too much Star Trek . A blackhole that will grow large enough to swallow the word?! I don't think so!
The idea is to create a black hole.

It accelerates 2 particles at the speed of light, and causes them to collide head on, of course you can't go faster than the speed of light.

Apparently this will create a black hole that will disappear the instant it is made, but a machine will pick up the matter of the black hole...apparently.
Wait what? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo
#6 - JJ72
well if it happens, I consider myself very lucky being able to witness the end of the world.

but nah.....impossible.
-
(BAMBO) DELETED by BAMBO
#7 - nihil
Looks like the chance of a french-swiss blackhole swallowing mankind is higher than having S3 this decade!
-
(pipa) DELETED by pipa
#10 - pipa
We could just hide behind chuck norris
This all requires the experiment to actually work, and I'm not convinced it will. It'll be interesting to see what happens if they can manage it, but I think expecting them to hit light speed on the first run is a little ambitious.

And anyway, wouldn't a black hole pop as soon as it tried to absorb something bigger than it? Surely something particle-sized can't gather that much power that it could crush the planet right away, so unless they keep piling stuff into it it'll just blink out of existence again, no?

But if they can accelerate particles to that kind of speed, the next step will be bigger stuff and we could be hitting warp speed really soon
-
(BAMBO) DELETED by BAMBO
the world ends in 2012 december 21th, a period of the mayan calander ends in that date

it's a joke, i don't it will ends on that date, but many people saying there will be something
Quote from Dajmin :But if they can accelerate particles to that kind of speed, the next step will be bigger stuff and we could be hitting warp speed really soon

Really soon is a very relative term, if anywhere from 100 to 500 years is really soon for you then I agree . I also think they will fail because judging from the mathematical forumula E=mc2, it's almost impossible, but achieving a speed close to the speed of light is very likely . Many people are just afraid of it because they don't know how it works, thus rellying on Start Trek science wich states that once you do such a thing, it will create a blackhole. The blackhole will keep growing and growing untill it absorbs everything.
Yarr, but with large objects it's the acceleration that's the killer. A particle would survive doing it in a short space of time, but I doubt a human being would. You really don't want to end up having your front forced out your back
Hmmmm :

Crowbars at the ready.
Attached images
freemanae8.jpg
Mhh, Gordon Freeman? Oh noez, he will put something in it and release aliens from another planet and those head-thingys. My god! Valve was right all this time! We should have listened!
The LHC is a high profile, high energy, high fiving, dramatic experiment. However, there is also a much more genteel experiment in hand that has received little attention... ZEPLIN-III ... basically, "Let's have a cup of tea and let the particles come to us..."
I think that the people that Genuinely 100% think the world's gonna end (Most people at my school) just don't actually know what the experiment is all about, and what the chances of the end of the world coming are
Quote from JO53PHS :I think that the people that Genuinely 100% think the world's gonna end (Most people at my school) just don't actually know what the experiment is all about, and what the chances of the end of the world coming are

The chances of the world ending after they turn it on are higher than if it were left turned off.

That's enough for some, then the rest of the sheeple follow.
-
(510N3D) DELETED by 510N3D : meh
#21 - Jakg
Don't you love it when morons comment on things they don't understand.

Unfortunately it's the reason why democracy fails...
Even if the experiment does go wrong, the world won't end.

It'll just be really really really compact
Quote from spacedskunk :http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/Arti ... 5/20080405?hub=TopStories

EDIT: well the idea isn't to create a black hole as such, but it probably will, and it it doesn't go we're doomed, dooooommmeed But apparently its a 1 in 10 billion chance...haha

For christsakes, people like that should be bludgeoned to death, if everyone was scared of progress we'd still be picking our bums and flicking it at people outside the cage.
Quote from Bean0 :The chances of the world ending after they turn it on are higher than if it were left turned off.

That's enough for some, then the rest of the sheeple follow.

Of course the chances of the world ending are higher when they turn it on, but still, the chance is very small.

And please can call "the end of the world" "X"? I'm getting tired of typing it already
-
(BAMBO) DELETED by BAMBO
Thank god...I've almost completed the last level of the Internetz...What would I do after?

The end of the world
(393 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG