The online racing simulator
Excelent idea.
Maybe:
1st time = Warning
2nd time = (if 10 minutes or 5 laps havent passed, else it resets) Drive Through
3rd time = Disqualified

Either do this linearly (even if the guy did the Drive Through, next shortcut is a disqualify) or only allow disqualification if he hasnt done the drive through?

For the spinouts: IF he goes tru the shortcut and he loses a position, remove warning/pealty/disc.
that way you can check if he did on purpose or if he spun out.
if they are cutting at that spot on blackwood, then maybe they deserve that penalty. There is no excuse for driving through there while racing.Not only are they cutting the track but they might cause, and have, an incident on the other side when people are exiting the chicane.
Or a better idea , put some barriers in that spot
How long can take to dev make a barriers in that spot for the track?
(Yes rebuilding the track , but only in that spot)

For the other thing , i think A directly +30 seconds penalty is correct

And dont come with "Avoid the Crash in front of you" if you are cleaver you know how to avoid the "Action" without cutting there
yes, eventually Eric should close that gap. This is just a 'patch' for now.

But the idea might be useful elsewhere _if it is needed_.
If it's not needed, then hurray for well designed tracks
Quote from Calvinaquino :Excelent idea.
1st time = Warning
2nd time = (if 10 minutes or 5 laps havent passed, else it resets) Drive Through
3rd time = Disqualified

This would be quite a good solution for the case where a driver has all 4 wheels on the dirt. Shouldn't ever happen unless there was a bump between 2 drivers. In that case more care should be taken in future. Would promote cleaner racing i believe.

Would that be viable for the future?
Quote from burnsy1882 :you don't need to use the /axload command to load a layout on the server. if you just save it as BL1_.lyt, move it to the layout folder, then start the server, it's automatically loaded with your single marshal where you need it.

that doesnt work and yes ive just tried it
however using s1 mode with a demo server setup works
although as vicc pointed out you cant create the layout yourself if youre a demo user... but it works

oh btw vicc since i havent been able to scream at you in irc for a while now ill do it here... since the last forum update the guest search has a captcha again
All I know is that it works like a dream, no more cutting
someone report that some month ago, why only now do you want do something?
Things take time, but then again don't let me or anyone else talk for the devs.
Quote from tikshow :someone report that some month ago, why only now do you want do something?

I think the devs have enough thing to do at a time,but we can see victors activity,hes doing lot of stuff at once.And the things we dont see yet,scawen and eric works hard on it! To make a good job,it takes lot of time.
Cool option - is it maybe possible to be able to have there be a setting to differentiate between "Public Racing" or "Event" server condition, and instead of automatically penalizing in "Event" mode, it adds a flag to a report or flags to an admin that someone cut so they can check it to see if time was actually gained, and can apply a penalty ?

Other than that, they system of warning before penalizing that was posted a few posts ago, and the system as a whole, gets a big +1 from me.

Thanks Victor for the good work !

d
Good idea deko but then all the servers would need an active person watching every car maybe?

And the +30 seconds penalty wont work i think. its time increase, nothing that will make the driver really "pay" for it.

Or, do it like a vote:
Driver goes off the track, triggers vote - Press 1 to penalize driver (like a kick vote).

We can mix the first time warning with the vote system to apply a Drive trough second time and disqualification third time?
Regarding identifying shortcuts Victor, it might be wise to speak to Sam @ UKCT and have a look through some of the CTRA layouts, most of the custom layouts are in response to actual reports of persistent cutting problems.

I can think of a few, KY1 the corners just off the oval (the right, left, right, right), Fern Bay Gold the end of the lap, Kyoto GP the chicane, Aston North has a few though i'm not totally sure where.

Basically all the CTRA standard layouts are either anti-cut and implemented after reports of cutting from real server usage, or in a couple of places an attempt to reduce physics related randomness. So well worth checking out.
Though, in the case of the BL1 chicane, people should not be issued a warning. It's a far too blatant cutting spot and should result in action right away. Cheating once per 10 laps, is still cheating.
I think this would be the easiest solution, you would be able to pass trough after an accident, but some slower, and there would be no cutting.

Quote from e2mustang :I think the devs have enough thing to do at a time,but we can see victors activity,hes doing lot of stuff at once.And the things we dont see yet,scawen and eric works hard on it! To make a good job,it takes lot of time.

you misunderstood me! i didn't want to tease the devs, i just wondering on this thing
Are we all talking about the same 'cutting'? This the chicane before the home straight at Aston National and this illustrates what I consider cutting. A penalty of 5 seconds per infringement would soon see a difference in driving habits!
That specific 'cut' falls under a bit of a grey area as it depends on how the 'track' area is defined.
- As long as you have at least one (or two, depends) wheel(s) on the track it's not cutting
- If the 'track' includes kerbs, that's not cutting
- If the 'track' doesn't include kerbs, it is cutting

Personally I see it as two wheels on track+kerbs.
Kerbs define the edge of the track. The track is the black stuff. No grey there. Where do you draw the line? Track+kerb+green bit? Some would.
Quote from Doorman :Kerbs define the edge of the track. The track is the black stuff. No grey there. Where do you draw the line? Track+kerb+green bit? Some would.

IRL they'd use that green stuff unless stewards told them not to, which in that instance, I doubt they would.
I think driving on the green bit is generally considered fine (also in real racing). If there are kerbs, including green, then the wheels shouldn't go over them, so no touching grass unless the outer wheels are still on the track. If there are no kerbs, then two wheels should be on the track within the white lines.

Basically it's "use the kerbs, but if there are none or they're very thin you can go off track a bit" - at least IMO.
For the purpose of this thread, that is way too detailed. With insim i cannot possibly determine if people _just_ stayed within the white line or not.
So the shortcutting i'm talking about is of the more blatant type where you just drive through a gravel pit or cut a chicane, things like that.
I think this is a great idea. I'd favor a drive-through penalty over any other options. Although it would kind of stink to get a DT on the last lap of 1 hour+ race and get a DQ for not being able to serve it.
Quote from Becky Rose :Regarding identifying shortcuts Victor, it might be wise to speak to Sam @ UKCT and have a look through some of the CTRA layouts, most of the custom layouts are in response to actual reports of persistent cutting problems.

I can think of a few, KY1 the corners just off the oval (the right, left, right, right), Fern Bay Gold the end of the lap, Kyoto GP the chicane, Aston North has a few though i'm not totally sure where.

Basically all the CTRA standard layouts are either anti-cut and implemented after reports of cutting from real server usage, or in a couple of places an attempt to reduce physics related randomness. So well worth checking out.

thanks, i'll ask sam if he can send the layouts to me so i can have a look.
I think the runoff is a good idea and just like it would be on a normal circuit.

I think you should only get punished if you use it consistently or maybe more than once in case it was a genuine lockup or coming together which resulted in you going off. Otherwise people will be forced to drive back onto the track and turnaround which will cause trouble.

Anti-shortcutting with the InSim Relay
(111 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG