The online racing simulator
Anti-shortcutting with the InSim Relay
Ok this is a bit of an experiment.
We're running a demo host and I noticed people shortcutting around the chicane quite often. I wanted to fix this via an autox layout, but obviously a demo host cannot load those.
So to prevent people shortcutting there I added a "forbidden area" check on the insim relay that only worked on our host. This now forces racers who use the shortcut, to spectate.

Seeing this worked quite well, I have made it an option for everyone to toggle on or off. You can set the option on the insim relay setup page at lfsworld.
So if you want this anti shortcut check on your host, (connect your host to the relay and) turn on this option.

So far there's just this one spot on Blackwood that is being checked. But I can do the same for more places, on any track.
Also I can apply different penalties for different shortcuts. One might be awarded a time penalty on one shortcut - on another one could be forced back to spectating.

Possible penalties :
Spectate
Drive Through
Stop and Go
+30 seconds
+45 seconds

THE MAIN PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD :
If there are any places that you think could do with such a shortcut, post about it here in the following manner (to save me a lot of work) :

-describe the situation with text.
-include a screenshot of the place where you think a check could be added. Try to indicate how large an area you think should be covered for the check (see example). I check circular areas.
-mention which track AND config this shortcut applies to. If it applies to multiple configs of one track, please mention all the configs.

If they seem logical, I can then add such places to the relay checker and see if that helps.
As I started this post off though, it's an experiment to begin with. I think it can work quite well, but I'm not sure if there'll be nasty side effects.
Attached images
bl1_shortcut1.jpg
Wow, this seems very interesting. I don't know if all deserve instant spectates so I was very intrigued by adding a time penalty... Sometimes you need to run off, not using it as a short cut but simply can't make the turn, and for that to end the race could be questionable at the least. Can't wait to see how this works out.
nice idea!
#4 - J@tko
I was going to suggest the chicane at KY GP (off the oval) but its easy to just make a mistake and to cut it (well, the right hander at least - cutting the left hander will give you damage), therefore really giving you a penalty you don't deserve
Quote from Victor :We're running a demo host and I noticed people shortcutting around the chicane quite often. I wanted to fix this via an autox layout, but obviously a demo host cannot load those.

not that id ever dare to critizise a dev but unless im very wrong demo hosts can run layouts as long as its only marshalls which do exactly what your work there does
Unfortunately this method assumes the driver is intentionally trying to take a shortcut, but what if someone hits me and forces me in the direction of the shortcut? Then my race is over? How is that fair?

I appreciate the effort to close the shortcuts, but I don't think clean racers will appreciate being forced to spectate because of an accident. Can't you guys just release a small patch with some extra barriers in the way of the shortcuts? I think that would be a more elegant solution to the problem.
Quote from Shotglass :not that id ever dare to critizise a dev but unless im very wrong demo hosts can run layouts as long as its only marshalls which do exactly what your work there does

very wrong you are

demo hosts don't recognise the /axload command at all.
Thanks Victor, super works great [NLR] #2 #3 and #4 server's have it now
#9 - Jakg
Couldn't you say that you only get a penalty if your going over 50 KM/h or something?
Quote from Jakg :Couldn't you say that you only get a penalty if your going over 50 KM/h or something?

A much much much better idea. i think the original reason the gap was there is because its such a high speed entry and if you lock up on brakes or get into the grass your skidding for flying barrier mayhem.

You should find out what speed people gain an advantage and then lower it by 10mph or so and then add penalties.

Spectating is a bit harsh really - it should just be penalties.
Quote from Victor :very wrong you are

demo hosts don't recognise the /axload command at all.

you don't need to use the /axload command to load a layout on the server. if you just save it as BL1_.lyt, move it to the layout folder, then start the server, it's automatically loaded with your single marshal where you need it.
Quote from Jakg :Couldn't you say that you only get a penalty if your going over 50 KM/h or something?

i hadn't mentioned that in my OP, but yes, it's already checking minimum speed, though it's less than 50Km/h atm. It's 8.5m/s, or 30.6Km/h
Could raise it if that appears more convenient.
#13 - Jakg
...or outsmart me then
-
(danthebangerboy) DELETED by danthebangerboy
Quote from burnsy1882 :you don't need to use the /axload command to load a layout on the server. if you just save it as BL1_.lyt, move it to the layout folder, then start the server, it's automatically loaded with your single marshal where you need it.

I would say victor will know what can and cannot be done with LFS, after all, he did develop it!
Is it possible to make it lap dependable? So then you could show a warning first time it happens, if it happens again (not very likely to crash twice I think) a time penalty, and after 4-5 times spectate.
Stealing a good but badly implemented idea straight from GTR2, how about allowing a driver a little grace by forgiving a first offence (or allow it once per ten laps or so for longer races), that way you allow for the odd mistake or avoidance action whilst debilitating it's use as a shortcut?
Quote from burnsy1882 :you don't need to use the /axload command to load a layout on the server. if you just save it as BL1_.lyt, move it to the layout folder, then start the server, it's automatically loaded with your single marshal where you need it.

ok even if that works then how do you suggest demo racers create that layout?
Quote from danthebangerboy :I would say victor will know what can and cannot be done with LFS, after all, he did develop it!

you don't think i didn't try it before posting the above? engage your brain before you talk. also, Victor does the websites and stuff, Scawen codes the game.

Quote from Victor :ok even if that works then how do you suggest demo racers create that layout?

yeah, i know they can't. just saying that any S2 user who's wanting to run a demo server, such as us at FG can use this way to automatically have the shortcut checker. your idea of using the relay is a very good idea though.
Quote from Becky Rose :Stealing a good but badly implemented idea straight from GTR2, how about allowing a driver a little grace by forgiving a first offence (or allow it once per ten laps or so for longer races), that way you allow for the odd mistake or avoidance action whilst debilitating it's use as a shortcut?

-think i misread your post-

maybe that can be done like that. Though on some places it's really blatant shortcutting, like on the blackwood chicane.
It could be a variable for a specific area to check (ie. first offense - warn, second offense apply penalty).
becky check pic in 1st post to see about what cutting victor is talking about
Quote from Victor :look, on BL1 chicane THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH people drive there by mistake. It's a blatant shortcut.
But on other places it could be different, hence my experiment notice and the note about different penalties.

and I don't know about gtr2 - never played it.

You havent seen me frantically trying to drive an xrt whilst hideously out of control then!
Quote from Victor :i hadn't mentioned that in my OP, but yes, it's already checking minimum speed, though it's less than 50Km/h atm. It's 8.5m/s, or 30.6Km/h
Could raise it if that appears more convenient.

And how about comparing the (illegal) lap-time (when the shortcut was taken) with a (legal) lap-time (previous lap, best lap) and if the illegal time is less than the legal time, infraction would be applied.

Also you can compare positions. If a racer has gained position in the race by using the shortcut, he will be penalized.
i don't think i'll take it as far as checking laptimes. Checking position might be doable yes.

Anyway, if there are any areas that could do with a shortcut check, they can be posted about here and we'll see what can be done.
In the meantime, the option is there available for people to select if their host is connected to the relay and if they want the option active on their host. Even if it just checks blackwood, it might already be handy for some.
When a driver gets a warning could they be told something like "WARNING : CUT TRACK" for a few seconds so they know? Probably would need some involvement from Scawen though.
nice very nice... no more shortcutting in Blackwood Chicane part of Demo....
Penalty for short cutting is good. Coz you just need to pass thru pit lane @ the speed of not higher than 80km/h to complete your penalty. So it will just add some time/sec. for one lap

But if passing there and get spectated, its hard to join again the race.
For example:

a 10 lap race then passing at that short cut and you are at 5th lap and placing 2nd position and get spectated, man, its hard to join again the race coz the driver will begin at last position and start at the 1st lap all over again.

thats just my opinion..

EDIT: Just want to add this,

If He/She Driver/Racer passed to that chicane over and over again... then its time to give a 3rd offense in the race. 3rd offense is equal to spectate.
Coz sometime to be straight... noobs or lets say beginners and the one who discovers that chicane short cut in blackwood does the thing over and over again specially in Demo....

I hope Victor as the Dev will fix this permanently soon... Thanks Devs.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG