ive found a paradox in reality
(49 posts, started )
#1 - lerts
imagine the sky was full of consecutive moons like this picture:

http://www.hoydalsvik.net/astr ... 6/eclipse2006_multi_2.jpg

you look at it with a telescope at 10x magnification

you make a 180º pan following the moons and memorize what you see

you remember what you saw and realize the moons over the horizont take 1800º of your field of view which in this case is in your minds eye

so when you look from horizont to horizont normally it takes 180º but if you magnify 2x it takes 360º of your fov

so theres something real that makes a fov that cant posibly be bigger than 180º be as big as magnification

so are we missing dimensions or in a dream or what what does a paradox prove?
Quote from lerts :so are we missing dimensions or in a dream or what what does a paradox prove?

That your visualization skills when sober are not that good. Inebriation is a must.
No, it doesn't work like that. Zooming in and panning doesn't increase your field of view does it, it decreases it.
-
(mcintyrej) DELETED by mcintyrej
Zooming in doesn't give you the ability to see all the way around you.

Look at a cope/binoculars/telescope, they will come with two ratings on them, one is magnification (from 1X through to nX) the other is FOV, let us take for example my Walther scope, it is 4 x 32, which means 4x zoom and a 32º FOV.

My FOV would not be 720º because it was multiplied by 4.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :My FOV would not be 720º because it was multiplied by 4.

Well that all depends if you have had any medication today I think Lerts has had plenty
Every single one of Lerts' threads I've read about 2 sentences and thought 'is this Lerts?' Then looked at the username and it was. Not one time have I thoguht that when it wasn't him
Ah, the moment I saw the thread title from the main page, I said to myself "I bet that's Lerts"

In that case, moving closer to my PC screen increases my FOV. But it doesn't. It would remain the same. And if I put a cardboard tube to my eye (no funny stuff pl0x) and did it, my FOV would decrease
#8 - lerts
your field of view can vary with panning

the idea is that if you pan 180º with 2x it will be 360º in your minds eye
No, it cannot. Allthough I do agree that your "mind's" eye might see things differently than others...
the moon takes an angular size of 0.5º if you magnify them 10x each moon takes approximately 5 º of fov and there fit 360 in the horizont

so in your minds eye if there were moons in a row and you looked at them at 10x in your minds eye it would take a fov of 5º*360 moons

how can it be?

i have a notion that when you look through binoculars the magnificated image moves really fast with slight pan
No. Your field of view is how far around you can see, your peripheral vision if you like. By using a telescope, you have severely limited your FoV, by looking through a small hole. You've also halved it by using 2x zoom, as you can only see half of what you could see before.

By panning, you don't change your FoV. If that was the case, I could turn around on the spot now, and say my FoV is 360º.

For example, go into LFS. Halve your FoV, and you'll see that you've zoomed in twice as far. But you can't see as much around you. So the more you zoom, the less FoV you have
Quote from Glenn67 :Well that all depends if you have had any medication today I think Lerts has had plenty

After reading some of the inane drivel lerts comes out with I don't think drugs are a requirement, I can feel my braincells committing seppuku with each new post.
#13 - Jakg
Lerts claims he used to be crazy and insane thanks to taking drugs, now he's laid off the pot (although obviously not totally!) he's sane(...ish) but depressed...
#14 - wark
If a solar eclipse is in the center, why isn't a lunar eclipse at either end?

lerts, don't look at it! it's a lie!
Just randomly clicked on his profile.

"lerts has not made any friends yet"
Lerts your idea of what FOV is must be incorrect. FOV stays the same if you aren't looking through a telescope, it is around 180 degrees. If you turn your head, you are still seeing 180 degrees, just a different 180 degrees.

If you look through a telescope at the moon, your view is magnified, so you can no longer see 180 degrees around you - you only see around 30 or so. If you move your telescope, you are still only able to see 30 degrees, your FOV doesn't change.
He's given up the pot, but i'm not sure he's given up ketamin.
Would you like to know what I thought of first when I read this?

Quote from lerts :ive found a paradox in reality

Quote from lerts :imagine the sky was full of consecutive moons like this picture:

:doh:
Quote from Becky Rose :He's given up the pot, but i'm not sure he's given up ketamin.

Then maybe he should do us all a favour and double the dose.
The only paradox in reality is you, lerts.
I love you Lerts. Lerts for moderator!

Somehow he really reminds me of AtomAnt.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :......
....... it is 4 x 32, which means 4x zoom and a 32º FOV.

Actually the 32 is the diameter of the object lens in mm.
Quote from Batterypark :Just randomly clicked on his profile.

"lerts has not made any friends yet"

"Batterypark has not made any friends yet "

Quote from gezmoor :Actually the 32 is the diameter of the object lens in mm.

Heh, I was told different, but just glancing at the size of the lens, that sounds right.
yes but when you look at the moon magnified it has a bigger APPARENT size and if you pan the telescope in your minds eye the field of view can be 10 spheres, since just one moon can take 10º so the 360 moons that fit in the horizon can take those much spheres

as someone pointed out our field of view is 360º back forth left right all is clear but it gets confusing with magnification

a 1000x amplified moon could go from your left to your right in your minds eye, 180º

its all in the minds eye, the memory you have of what you see through the telescope AS YOU PAN

i insist the key of my idea is not what you see but the construction in your mind of what you see as you pan

(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG