The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I agree that on the screenshots the textures look pretty average, but when you're driving it's awesome.

Anyhow, off to practice with the solstice again, because im slow as poo with that car
Quote from mikey_G :Anyhow, off to practice with the solstice again, because im slow as poo with that car

Yeah, you gotta really keep the momentum up with that car, keep the speed up and get it 4 wheel drifting a little

The Solstice around Lime Rock is AWESOME IMO, love the little uphill section and the way the car goes all light and squirrelly at the top of it
Quote from danowat :The Solstice around Lime Rock is AWESOME IMO, love the little uphill section and the way the car goes all light and squirrelly at the top of it

Try that with Legends if you're feeling suicidal

Anyways, I'm having a good time but one thing that really irritates me is lack of blue and yellow flags. Would have imagined those to be obvious for any racing sim but I guess we'll have to wait a little.
Quote from danowat :Yeah, you gotta really keep the momentum up with that car, keep the speed up and get it 4 wheel drifting a little

The Solstice around Lime Rock is AWESOME IMO, love the little uphill section and the way the car goes all light and squirrelly at the top of it

I know, but I can't get used to that car, it drive like a merkava tank on tiny wheels
Quote from tristancliffe :Slight change of mindset - After this weekend's racing, I've got something like 5 or 6 weeks 'free' to do as I please with. A lot will undoubtedly be taken up my real life stuff, be it fiddling with racing cars or doing laundry, but I'm hopeful that for some of the time I'll be able to get in some LFS and sim racing action again! Woot!! My G25 is starting to cry with joy and the prospect...

Anyway, I'd like to try iRacing during this time (as I won't have free time otherwise). If I can manage to find someone who has still got betatester handouts can I still get in on the first wave, or am I committed to waiting for the wholly public release now?

Quote from Dajmin :I got an access code last night but I have no intention of subscribing to the release product. Do I need to enter card details to sign up for the month's free trial? Beause I hate systems like that.

The months trial is a subscription of $20 a month, you have to choose to cancel it if you don't want to keep paying. If you don't want your invite you could try giving Tristan your code, it asks for name and e-mail in the sign up process so I think anybody can probably use any code.

Quote from DarrenMarsh :Shift-R. Hey presto, no more damaged car. I hope they take it out and replace it with working pitstops soon though

I refuse to use a reset button, if the car is undrivable it should be race over what they were thinking when they put a reset button into a serious sim is beyond me.
Just so i get this clear, basically if you stop paying for it, you can't play AT ALL, like not even the practice offline? How that works, how does it lock your game offline, i don't get it..
They said there would be a reset option in the public beta, they didn't make it clear wether it would be in the actual release or not though
There's a limit on how many times you can reset and damage model is alot more punishing than in LFS. Bumping into others seems to be very common at the start grid since not everyone gets going soon as lights go green. In last race I had to reset right at the start due to nasty pileup up ahead, tried to avoid it but left-front touched guy in front and it was bye-bye suspension for that corner.

And as a clarification, reset button is not some instant cure. You have to stop the car and then hold it for a short period to get thrown back into pits.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Just so i get this clear, basically if you stop paying for it, you can't play AT ALL, like not even the practice offline? How that works, how does it lock your game offline, i don't get it..

It works because you can't start the iRacing application yourself, but you must use the iRacing website, which then starts the game with the help of the iRacing service running in the background. This ensures that you cannot even run iRacing offline once your subscription is over.
Quote from Crommi :There's a limit on how many times you can reset and damage model is alot more punishing than in LFS. Bumping into others seems to be very common at the start grid since not everyone gets going soon as lights go green. In last race I had to reset right at the start due to nasty pileup up ahead, tried to avoid it but left-front touched guy in front and it was bye-bye suspension for that corner.

I don't understand what it is with people starting, this isn't a difficult car to start, lots of revs and dump the clutch will see you safely off the line and you can't stall it, yet people still seem to just sit there, in the second race I did I drove straight into the back of the car in front of me on the grid and in the first I managed to bring my car to a complete stop whilst the Sunday drivers in front of me got going.

Quote :
And as a clarification, reset button is not some instant cure. You have to stop the car and then hold it for a short period to get thrown back into pits.

It still has no place in a sim.
Quote from AndroidXP :It works because you can't start the iRacing application yourself, but you must use the iRacing website, which then starts the game with the help of the iRacing service running in the background. This ensures that you cannot even run iRacing offline once your subscription is over.

Hence the "iRental".. :doh: This is the lamest thing i ever heard in gaming industry thus far, cause of that i won't give them a dime, even if it simulates freakin petrol smell..
how is it the lamest thing?

It's not even the first "game" to do it...
Quote from Thorvertonian :how is it the lamest thing?

It's not even the first "game" to do it...

How is it not, come on man... it's redicolous.. I understand if it's like that in WoW, because what can you do offline in that game, but in a racing simulator?
I understand everything else, but you can't even play offline unless you pay? What's the point in that? Ok, if i want a new car and track, i'll pay, no problem.. if i want to play online and have a good racing career, i'll pay, but why the hell would i have to pay if i want to run some laps offline?
WoW uses the same subscription idea, and as far as I know it's the most successful game these past years (not that i've ever played it)

Anyhow, I just did my first 1:04 (1:04:363 to be exact)

That slowstice is actually becoming fun when you drive it closer to the limit

Anyhow, a quick opinion about laser scanned tracks; it's simply amazing. Where in lfs you can get away if you drive a wrong line through a corner, in iracing you cant because it's bumpy as hell outside the racing line and therefor lose grip (it's like this at lime rock).

edit: Boris, no one is forcing this game through your throat. If you don't like subscriptions or the price of iracing, then don't get iracing.
Quote from ajp71 :I don't understand what it is with people starting, this isn't a difficult car to start, lots of revs and dump the clutch will see you safely off the line and you can't stall it, yet people still seem to just sit there, in the second race I did I drove straight into the back of the car in front of me on the grid and in the first I managed to bring my car to a complete stop whilst the Sunday drivers in front of me got going.

It still has no place in a sim.

Good I'm not alone. Right now I'm glad the reset is in, because the damage is really not realistic. At the start of my first and only race, I clipped the left rear bumper of the guy in front of me with the front right side of my bumper (trying to avoid him). It was like a 10 mph impact yet after the contact I had to hold the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left to go straight.
Don't like the pricing system?, don't pay, simple as, but it's here, and it's here to stay, there are people literally clamouring to get on board iRacing, so the demand is there, regardless of weather YOU think the pricing model, subscriptions rate are wrong.
Well my opinion so far on the game is its great for the first release. Sure things could use tweaking but isn't that the same as every game? Physics feel great it looks great and the netcode is brilliant racing from australia with 300 ping to the US people sees no lag at all.
Quote from Boris Lozac :How is it not, come on man... it's redicolous.. I understand if it's like that in WoW, because what can you do offline in that game, but in a racing simulator?

I didn't say it was good, but thats the way it is, and in WoW, you have to log onto the servers to play, there is no off-line mode
Quote from danowat :Don't like the pricing system?, don't pay, simple as, but it's here, and it's here to stay, there are people literally clamouring to get on board iRacing, so the demand is there, regardless of weather YOU think the pricing model, subscriptions rate are wrong.

I'll rest my case, just imagine in the future if all games followed that scheme, now that would be great, wouldn't it... An offline single player game, that you have to pay for monthly in order to play it, the future's bright.. Won't talk about this anymore, sorry...
Quote from Boris Lozac :Hence the "iRental".. :doh: This is the lamest thing i ever heard in gaming industry thus far, cause of that i won't give them a dime, even if it simulates freakin petrol smell..

Have you not seen the FIFA series released every sodding year, not thats freaking lame........

...I hate saying lame, it makes me feel like a 16 year old American highschool girl, I would much rather shout and swear about my hatred for EA in general, and the countless crappy sequels they bring like NFL/NHL/NBA/Tiger Woods....espicially Tiger sodding Woods, but that would be draging this into O/T teritory and I would hate for that to happen again. Is just that it's so freaking lazy, and whats worse is that the once brilliant Pro Evolution is going down that same dang road, why Konami why???? Why destroy you rep with sub standard games. At least you will never do that with...wait no you have with Devil May Cry you complete and utter barstewards, it's only a matter of time before MGS goes that way. At least Rockstar will always push new levels....but wait no planes in GTA IV!!! is this not a step backwards as well, and were is the funny radio chat stations that was once a main staple of why I played GTA. Bring back Pacman all is forgivien... but now thinking back is it were it all started with Mrs Pacman?....I mean for crying out loud it's another yellow circle that goes "WACKA WACKA WACKA" only with a bow on top..and same level desgin. I need to lie down in a dark room again NURSE bring me my happy pills.....Mackie is feeling rather blue again.
Quote from Technique :Good I'm not alone. Right now I'm glad the reset is in, because the damage is really not realistic. At the start of my first and only race, I clipped the left rear bumper of the guy in front of me with the front right side of my bumper (trying to avoid him). It was like a 10 mph impact yet after the contact I had to hold the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left to go straight.

I had the exact same, and I got heavy negative points for that. The guy in front braked hard while the whole field went through t1 at snail pace.
Anyhow, I assumed my right front suspension was scrwed up because there was quite some visual damage, so I resetted.
I do hope they'll remove reset later on when the damage model is better and when everyone is less of a n00b
Right then, I want some questions answered. Can't find the relevant info on that horrid website of theirs.

For my $20 what do I get ?
Solstice thingy and Legend, 2 tracks and a load of ovals ?

Download is approx 900mb in total ?

Am I restricted what cars I can drive on the proper tracks, if so which ones ?

Is there likely be any more proper cars (tintops) ?
Quote from Boris Lozac :I'll rest my case, just imagine in the future if all games followed that scheme, now that would be great, wouldn't it... An offline single player game, that you have to pay for monthly in order to play it, the future's bright.. Won't talk about this anymore, sorry...

It's called a free business market, the market will tell if it will support their pricing structure, and it seems at the moment it has, infact, I am maybe a little suprised at just how well the market in general (obviously outside the walled garden of the LFS forum) has taken up on it.

If in the future other sims follow suit, we'll just have to decide if they are good enough to warrant paying it, iR obviously is, because otherwise people wouldn't pay for it.

The future is bright, very bright IMO, iR has taken steps no other sim has taken, and hopefully this will make other developers who have rested on their lorals for too long, sit up and take notice, take stock, and make things better.

Unless of course you want everything to be doom and gloom and not see the bright side.
Quote from Bean0 :Right then, I want some questions answered. Can't find the relevant info on that horrid website of theirs.

For my $20 what do I get ?
Solstice thingy and Legend, 2 tracks and a load of ovals ?

Download is approx 900mb in total ?

Am I restricted what cars I can drive on the proper tracks, if so which ones ?

Is there likely be any more proper cars (tintops) ?

Yes,

Can't remember, didn't think it was that big TBH

No, you can drive whatever, where ever, as far as I can remember (offline obviously)

I would imagine so, but I haven't heard anything concrete
Just to add a little:

For the first 20$ you get:
-Pontiac Solstice
-Legends Ford '34 Coupe
-3 road courses and 4 ovals

Download is ~160mb for client and ~580Mb if you want all tracks and cars.
You can select which ones to download, but doesn't hurt to take all since they're included in the package.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG