The online racing simulator
GP Bikes ALPHA 1 RELEASED!!
(261 posts, started )
Quote from thisnameistaken :Is this an experiment in creating the most difficult game in the world?

If the view leaned with the bike it might be easier, as it stands it's difficult to notice how much the bike is leaning until you realise it should be leaning the other way... too late - and when you do lean the bike magically rotates across to the other side of the screen, making it even more disorientating and making it much easier to run out of road before you even reach the corner. It's just weird.

And yes I cranked the lean slider up to max before I even did my first run.

It's actually closer to real life the way it is now, rather than having the view swinging wildly about the place following the bikes lean.

IRL, the bike does feel like it's moving underneath you, and you and keeping (slightly) upright.

Thats one of the things bike sims have done wrong up untill now, made the viewpoint on the bike, rather than the rider, bike and rider are 2 very seperate things, and the rider doesn't follow the bikes lean totally.
Quote from danowat :It's actually closer to real life the way it is now, rather than having the view swinging wildly about the place following the bikes lean.

IRL, the bike does feel like it's moving underneath you, and you and keeping (slightly) upright.

Thats one of the things bike sims have done wrong up untill now, made the viewpoint on the bike, rather than the rider, bike and rider are 2 very seperate things, and the rider doesn't follow the bikes lean totally.

True, but it is personal preference. I prefer to have viewpoints like onboard cameras (in LFS and other sims). Just the right amount of wobble and so forth to reflect that and not a head. It's more realistic to me, as I tend to see racecars from onboard cameras and not from my helmeted head. (I am looking at a screen, anyway!)
It's interesting how different people view it, for me, I like to try and get the view as close to what I would see IRL, but others like to have it differently.
I quite like the "what the rider would actually see" approach too, but it's just as well you can't push too hard in a corner and lose the front, because I really don't get any sense of the limit of adhesion really at all. I think that's where bigger demonstration of lean angle and actual focus on the movement of the motorcycle is pretty vital.

I quite like GP bikes, although I'm not a fan of the "just turn as hard as you like" controls. I find nBike's controls more rewarding (even if the physics were also a bit weird), it's like you were applying pressure to the bars, and as a result you could push too hard and lose the bike.
Is it worth buying the license?
mehehe, new rec 51.13.
oh btw...a lil stunt from me
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuj52w8AW0s

Quote from sinbad :Is it worth buying the license?

shouldnt u know?
do u like it?

do i like it?
hell yeah!

would i buy if i could to?
of course!
the demo track becomes a whole new beast if you go around the other way!!!!!!!!!
Quote from Crashgate3 :You use the twist axis of the joystick to accelerate, the left and right axis of the joystick to steer, the foward and backward axis to move your rider's weight forwards and back, and the throttle to brake. It sounds a bit odd but after some practice, it becomes really natural.

That actually sounds really good Now if only my joystick twisted I think I need to upgrade...
i'm hooked so have bought it!!!!
dam the other 2 bikes are harder to master, even tho they are larger bikes, i can go faster on the 2 stroker.....!!
These are GPBikes demo testing videos i've made.
Enjoy

youtube link - with engine sound and music

youtube link - just with engine sound
At least in the case of the RC211V, it's about 1 second quicker around Lime Rock than the 250.
it isnt workin for me. when i open the game i get this message(im not sure how to translate it correctly)

in finnish is it ''proseduurin aloituskohtaa alSource3i ei löydy dynaamisesti linkitettävästä kirjastosta OpenAL32''

and heres my poor try to translate it
''Prosedures startplace alSource3i cant be found from dynacly linkable library OpenAL32''

anyone knows what should i do to get the game working? and if some finn knows how to translate it betterly i would be grateful if you would translate it
Quote from Kegetys :Install OpenAL

cant, it says some files are running and i need to reboot my computer for finishing the installation but when i reboot, nothing happens and ill go trying to install it again and it says the same thing it does everytime
EDIT: i found it installed for my computer already. now preblem is i cant find the file what it says im missing, where to get it? where to put it?
I absolutely can't figure out how to drive this thing I crash in every corner...
Quote from Gil07 :I absolutely can't figure out how to drive this thing I crash in every corner...

Lean in as much as you can, the sim won't let you lean too much. While leaning at the max angle, you can use front brakes at 100% without locking it. It's nearly un-crashable to throw it in a corner that way.
Just don't brake too much immediately before or during turn-in, else the weight transfer will make the rear slide around and you won't be able to catch it.
I'm gonna try this, simply because I would like to see how Limerock Park looks.

All i can say is wow, this is pretty hard to master. Definetly is the most difficult game I've ever played.
alpha 2's feeling more solid I must admit! However I'm REALLY looking forward to the physics updates in alpha 3.
Alpha3 of GP Bikes released by PiBoSo

Changelog:

FIX: names in ontrack chat
FIX: key controls are disabled while chat is open
FIX: lock-up in pits' chat with long words
FIX: slightly reduced join-lag
FIX: improved multilanguage support
NEW: dedicated server
FIX: sound memory optimization
NEW: bike geometry setup
NEW: front and rear brake pump setup
NEW: tyres wear display in garage
NEW: administrator menu
FIX: braking behavior
FIX: rider f/b lean and mass movement
FIX: decreased rider lean in cockpit view

http://www.gp-bikes.com/?page=downloads
Lol.. downloadet--> one test lap--> bougth it DD IT SOO NICE.. more tracks and mayby more bikes would be nice.. and the lean to forward and backward would be nice if it worket "good" not like now..
Quote from the_angry_angel :I'm not a biker, so I feel I might be a little stupid here, but is the way in which the bike dips around the screen and the view stays constant that realistic? It seems a bit.. weird.

Just like in a car, you always keep your head straight you lean into corners so you're not planted against you door right? hehe, you are always looking towards your apex the bike flows under the rider, the biker doesn't flow WITH the bike. hope that adds some perspective
Quote from BlueFlame :Just like in a car, you always keep your head straight you lean into corners so you're not planted against you door right? hehe, you are always looking towards your apex the bike flows under the rider, the biker doesn't flow WITH the bike. hope that adds some perspective

The problem I have with this in GPBikes is that I have no way of knowing what the bike is doing. It feels too remote, there is very little/no visual indication of whether the bike is at "the limit", which would be a bigger problem if the steering and throttle worked as I believe they should.

I was initially quite taken with GPBikes, but the more I played it the less impressed I became. The bigger bikes behave oddly (just modestly faster versions of the 250), the throttle does work like a throttle, more like a go-faster control with some kind of throttle nanny. I don't really like the way you can just steer fully to the side and the bike will lean that far and no further. I have no feeling for pushing bike and tyre, and the physics are generally pretty damned average at best in my opinion. nBike (despite its own flaws) was a lot more fun, a lot more intuitive, massively more rewarding and generally a hell of a lot more convincing. I await a version of GPBikes that ticks some of those boxes, but I won't get my hopes up, and I actually do have a minor case of Buyer's Remorse.

GP Bikes ALPHA 1 RELEASED!!
(261 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG