The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
download is slooooowwww. Think everyone else is trying at the same time. Admittedly the $20 route was what i was planning to do, but need to change it if I want to continue
Doesn't look like Opera is compatible with their system. Basically you need to have iRacing service running on backround as a link between browser and your client, but I already encountered a problem where updater cannot be started.

Edit: Yep, as I expected. Had to download FF3 until Opera issue is solved. Although "Update" in iRacing language means downloading all the tracks and cars.... that's ~600Mb package in total where gameclient was only ~160Mb. Doesn't look like I'll be playing tonight.
I cancelled the download and started one again, which is going full speed now, so I assume it redirected me to a different server now.

opera is indeed not supported. I think you get an warning if you go onto the member site with an unsupported webclient (which happened to me this afternoon with ff3) so you should've been warned.

ff3 is supported now btw
Quote from mikey_G :I cancelled the download and started one again, which is going full speed now, so I assume it redirected me to a different server now.

opera is indeed not supported. I think you get an warning if you go onto the member site with an unsupported webclient (which happened to me this afternoon with ff3) so you should've been warned.

What speed you getting?
Bad thing about their updater is that it's decompressing and installing constantly and not after all content has been downloaded. I can't do much else since HDD usage is quite high.

Getting ~105kB/s which is pretty much the maximum you can get on 1Mbps ADSL even in optimal conditions.

Edit: Since I got nothing better to do for a while, I'll go bother some Firefox fanboys to figure out what do I need to do to make it little bit safer than Internet Exposer.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :What speed you getting?

300 kB/s the whole time

but now I have to update... which is 600mb

edit: I agree with crommi, this updater is totally stressing my hdd which is totally unnecessary imo
Hmm, I'll wait until the weekend before joining. I'm not risking my safety rating with thousands of noobs out there
Don't forget everyone who is staying up and driving all night... That's gonna f* up some peoples safety ratings

Anyhow, 22minutes left for the update
Downloaded and got on to the members page...however for whatever reason I can't download the sodding updates of the cars and tracks so I can race..... Not so good so far, awaiting reply from Iracing support.

Also did anyone get the links for calibration of graphics and hardware to work, cause I didn't.
2.38MB/s here constant.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Downloaded and got on to the members page...however for whatever reason I can't download the sodding updates of the cars and tracks so I can race..... Not so good so far, awaiting reply from Iracing support.

Also did anyone get the links for calibration of graphics and hardware to work, cause I didn't.

Sounds like browser issue, what are you using?
You also need to have iRacing backround service running.

And something that I didn't realise, you don't need to download all tracks and cars to get started. Could have easily dropped ovals and just grab Solstice for first impressions.
Yea, make sure the service is running, because otherwise your browser will just timeout while trying to connect to localhost.

You can start it in the programs menu or in the services.msc if you're a real nerd
Quote from Crommi :Sounds like browser issue, what are you using?
You also need to have iRacing backround service running.

And something that I didn't realise, you don't need to download all tracks and cars to get started. Could have easily dropped ovals and just grab Solstice for first impressions.

Tried bot the AOL browser (don't laugh...I like it) and the Internet Explorer, however I did',t know about the backround service, where is the settings for that?
start > all programs > iRacing > Start iRacing service

Aol and IE? Get yourself some firefox 3 stat!

I think my wife should do some shopping tonight!

Time to dust off the G25!
Received the invite too, but maybe I should wait till tomorrow to install since the download servers must be pretty maxed out now.

A question, is there an option to practice offline before going online? Would be nice to get familiar with the stuff first, instead of going online wrecking everyone.
I got my invite
Downloading now!!!

Only 5 more mins!!
Quote from arco :A question, is there an option to practice offline before going online? Would be nice to get familiar with the stuff first, instead of going online wrecking everyone.

Yes, you can run Practise without having to fear for your points.
Quote from Crommi :Yes, you can run Practise without having to fear for your points.

Cool!

Couldn't wait, so started downloading.
Getting max download speed so far, so that's good.
Im drivin a bit now in lime rock with the solstice, but how can you call a car with 4 gears a sportscar!?!!?

Anyhow, the game looks amazing on my no-longer-new-pc (e6600, 4gb ram and 8800gts) and I get a steady 60fps with vsync enabled while driving (with class 2 settings)

Only changing gfx settings is a bit cumbersome to be honest because i have to restart iracing each time....
I want to try it, but on the other hand I think the price is a rip off. Will be following this thread very closely now, to see what I'm going to do
-
(Electrik Kar) DELETED by Electrik Kar
Having pc problems, going to have to give it a rest and get it sorted tomorrow. Damn pc.

EDIT: decided against going to bed, clicked on random settings, solved problem. RANDOM CLICKING RULES
indeed mackie, when nothing else works, pedantic clicking always works

Anyhow, I'm starting to really like it. The car is not that bad afterall, quite oversteery.

Physics seem ok too as I dont have a problem with being fast

So far I've done a 1.06 on lime park full, but i'm still too much of a pussy to drive full out
WOW! That was so great hearing about your downloading experience.

If you want to post crap then do it in the iRacing forum. If you want to let the LFS community know your thoughts on how iRacing compares to LFS then, please, enlighten us.
Quote from mikey_G :
Anyhow, I'm starting to really like it. The car is not that bad afterall, quite oversteery.

So it's not quite...

Quote from mikey_G :The solstice is an american car, so I can tell you already it drives like shit

lol
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG