The online racing simulator
Quote from Speedy Pro :Great job, Scawen and the team. The menu is really nice, and the replay controls are very helpful. Thanks a billion!

But while we're on the subject of menus, I'm wondering if it's possible to make parameter values in the setups directly editable, rather than controlled by sliders. I.e. if I want a 1.345 ratio for 4th gear, I just click the value and type it in, rather than move the slider, since the latter is not always precise.

Either that, or you can make the whole thing a bit more realistic by specifying a minimum possible increment in adjustments (i.e. the ratios can be changed only by 0.05, instead of 0.001). Perhaps, I'm just nitpicking though

If you want to directly edit a parameter just right click on it and type in the exact value. You can also copy a value with CTRL+right click and paste it by pressing Shift+right click.
Quote from _--NZ--_[HUN] :If you want to directly edit a parameter just right click on it and type in the exact value. You can also copy a value with CTRL+right click and paste it by pressing Shift+right click.

Holy cow!!! I've been playing LFS for over a year and this is big big news to me. Thanks!
Since I've updated to patch Y20 all the fonts of the interface are smaller than before.
Is this done on purpose ? Is there a way to restore previous size ?

I've updated from patch Y14 to patch Y18, but I've used Y18 only once.
Then I've applied patch Y19 but I've never used it and then applied patch Y20.

And this is what I get (comparison between patch Y14 and patch Y20):
Attached images
LFS-Y14-01.png
LFS-Y20-01.png
LFS-Y14-02.png
LFS-Y20-02.png
I think it's a purpose. Now it's better. Anything isn't so much big.
That's sweet, and i start to wondering - does my computer will handle LFS in future ? Sweet ''growing'' guys !
Likewise, with all this AA/AF being brought in, I'm curious as to how soon an upgrade will be needed to play...Could it be as early as S2 Beta?
How about, not at all? AA/AF is not forced, you know...
Quote from AndroidXP :How about, not at all? AA/AF is not forced, you know...

I know that, but there's all these graphical improvements being brought in. Sure, I can keep turning down settings as new features are brought in, but then it just stays the same
So what was your question then? When will we have to upgrade if we want all settings on a high level? You can answer that question by taking the same response that you'll get to "when will feature X be implemented" or "when will the next patch/version be released" -> "when it's done."

E:
"how soon will graphical improvements be brought in, that have a big impact on FPS"
=
"when will feature X be implemented"
=>
"when it's done" / "nobody knows"
My question was, how soon will graphical improvements be brought in, that have a big impact on FPS. X --> Y had a significant impact, with higher-res and improved textures.
OT:
Quote from dougie-lampkin :My question was, how soon will graphical improvements be brought in, that have a big impact on FPS. X --> Y had a significant impact, with higher-res and improved textures.

If Scawen can implement hardware draw for subobjects it will increase frame rate. Link.
/OT

Y20 working fine here so far.
Quote from alxf1 :same problem when trying to see the licence progress on CTRA.... it shows `````` instead of ||||||| or so.....

Are you sure about this? I would have thought that InSim buttons were immune to codepage issues.

Can you post a screen shot of what it should look like, and what it does look like if another translation is selected?

Quote from MaKaKaZo :I found a bug in Y20:

Whenever you go to the drag strip either in one player or hotlapping mode, and then you go to hotlapping to any combination the start lights are activated and you have to wait for them or otherwise you get a +45 seconds penalty. The only way to make them disappear is coming back to the main menu and then going into hotlapping mode again - changing the car or the track won't solve it.

Hmm, I'm a bit confused by your first sentence.

Please can you give a step by step guide of a simple way to produce the bug?
@Scawen: It stays in "race 1 lap" mode after starting a hotlap on the drag strip and then trying to hotlap on any other track, instead of going back to "practice" mode (even though hotlaps don't seem to work on the drag strip to begin with).
It's simple.
- go into hotlap mode(or single player) on drag strip.
- drive
- change track to something else like fe club (in hotlap mode)
- drive
- starting light are there

i don't know why anyone should go into hotlap mode on drag strip but a bug is a bug :}
Worked for me and i got 30 secs time penalty :}

edit: late answer as usual :}
Quote from _--NZ--_[HUN] :If Scawen can implement hardware draw for subobjects it will increase frame rate. Link.

That will be the main improvement in Y21.

It's already working in my version and producing good a frame rate increase when there are a lot of cars on the screen.

I just need to update it in the best way to minimise pit-out glitch and memory usage. Iin my version now every car generates its own subobjects and the hardware version of them so pit-out glitch would be a bit worse than Y20. I plan to make it better than Y20 by sharing subobjects between cars in the same way that there is one global helmet mesh shared between all drivers. I'm also looking at improving the wheel drawing system and using hardware meshes for the non-rubber parts as that is now the worst remaining slowdown on cars.
Quote from Scawen :Are you sure about this? I would have thought that InSim buttons were immune to codepage issues.

I have insim issues that must be codepage-related. I use LFSrelax and it uses a special character for the fuel calculations namely a fuelpump. Now in Y20 I see ". My guess is that something changed there (might be in Y19 as well...memory leaves me).
Great news
Quote from Scawen :That will be the main improvement in Y21.

It's already working in my version and producing good a frame rate increase when there are a lot of cars on the screen.

Fantastic news and another step towards falling parts
Quote from _--NZ--_[HUN] :If you want to directly edit a parameter just right click on it and type in the exact value. You can also copy a value with CTRL+right click and paste it by pressing Shift+right click.

Wha! Nobody ever told me. Great for moving gear ratios between sets.
Quote from J.B. :Wha! Nobody ever told me. Great for moving gear ratios between sets.

I see its in WIKI, guess its one of the hidden treasures.
Quote from Scawen :That will be the main improvement in Y21.

I just need to update it in the best way to minimise pit-out glitch and memory usage. Iin my version now every car generates its own subobjects and the hardware version of them so pit-out glitch would be a bit worse than Y20. I plan to make it better than Y20 by sharing subobjects between cars in the same way that there is one global helmet mesh shared between all drivers. I'm also looking at improving the wheel drawing system and using hardware meshes for the non-rubber parts as that is now the worst remaining slowdown on cars.

I've no idea what that all means but I certainly like the 'better frame rate bit' Keep up the great work
Quote from Scawen :Hmm, I'm a bit confused by your first sentence.

Please can you give a step by step guide of a simple way to produce the bug?

Damn, this is what happens with multilingual menus

We have "single player", "multiplayer" and "hotlapping". If you go to the drag strip in any of the single player modes (single player or hotlapping, doesn't matter which one), and then you go to hotlapping mode to any other track (not the drag strip), then you have starting lights in your hotlapping session.

Step by setp:
  • Go to hotlapping -> choose any car and the 2 lane drag strip and enter the track.
  • Go back to track selection screen and choose another track. When you enter the track you have starting lights.
or
  • Go to "single player" mode (the one where you can race against IAs offline). Choose the 2 lane drag strip and enter the track.
  • Go back to the main menu -> hotlapping -> any track (not the drag strip). You have starting lights too.
If you go back all the way to the main menu and then again to hotlapping mode then you won't have the starting lights anymore, but if you just go back "one level" to the track selection screen (still being in hotlapping mode) and choose another track they will still be there.
In Y19 (and Y20) I've noticed a few of the symbols in the fonts have gone missing. Specifically, the solid circle, up and down arrows - I'm assuming this has somthing to do with the new G-meter display (looks cool btw ). Those characters are quite useful, particularly in insim displays when used for indicating directions.
Any chance they could be put back in? (or are they still available through other means?)

ps. Liking the new replay controls, they're very useful

Edit: looks like the font issue is the same thing as post #320
tested on both XP Pro SP2 and Vista HP SP1
+1 degats, its rather annoying just seeing boxes instead of those arrows.
This thread is closed

Test Patch Y19 (and Y20) Replay Controls
(417 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG