The online racing simulator
the GT5 Prolouge thread
(400 posts, started )
Quote from spacedskunk :

And no doubt the AI has been improved but tbh I was expecting such a long development process to field better results.

I guess the long development time is what we can see now in the visuals/modeling of the cars. That sure was a lot of work.

Another bad aspect of GT is the behaviour of the cars when they hit each other... the collision physics are still pretty stupid to say the least.
Quote from The Very End :Great news! :
It`s confirmed, GT Prologue will have damage modelling!
Read it at www.gamer.no (norwegian but confirmed source). The only bad thing is that number of cars on track will go down..

"Maybe by fall we'll be able to implement it."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/864/864502p1.html

It's still maybe.

Interesting question from that interview:

IGN: Obviously Gran Turismo is the stand-out title in its field on the PlayStation 3, but do you ever look at the competition elsewhere, such as Forza on the Xbox or GTR on PC?

Kazunori Yamauchi: I know there are a lot of titles out there, and some of these do things we haven't done yet. But what we're trying to do is perfect every part of what we have so far, and then move on to the next part which we will perfect, and we're doing this in steps, and we'd like people to look forward to those steps.

So I guess he don't look at other games, which he has said previously too.
New little vid...
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=6qWdV95axn0

I've tried LFS with the G25 now by the way... and played Forza 2 again aswell... and i must say, even if GT5P is not too bad after all, it's still not as good as LFS (far away actually) and not quite as good as Forza 2. But good enough that i still enjoy it tho!
See I still do enjoy GT5:P, its online where the game fails really, since I would get PS3 only for online games then, yea, I might be stubborn in that part but a GT5 that fails online is a GT5 not worth getting.

But I read the interview and the car damage might actually change something, I havent given up all hope.

I've been using the TVR Tamara with the G25 on fully manual/shifter/clutch/professional with no aids on (ASM/TC etc). Its a fun drive but once you hit sort of going into a drift the car just doesnt wanna be controlled, its a challenge I guess :P
Quote from spacedskunk :since I would get PS3 only for online games then

Replace PS3 with Xbox360 and you might be satisfied (there's no GT5 on the xbox of course, but the online system is really the best there is for a console atm).
GT5 uses different aproach to the hotlap system... There is no customization (although it is available in other modes of the game), so everyone drives the same setup, and thats it I think many people in this forum asked for such a feature in LFS.

The "hlvc" type system is very very very forgiving, thats why I stick to the holaps in the real tracks where there is no rails and other cheats the n00bs can use. If they decide to implement a tuff system like the one in LFS, it will be okay I guess.
Funny thing is, before i did the update, i was able to use the quick tune in arcade mode... was quite stupid to remove it from there IMO. Now i have to do races even if i just want to do a "time attack" (so i can use different settings on a car).
I bought it for my PS3... It wasnt actually a good game (I've played the previous games in the series) Lucky that it doesnt cost so much
Quote from jibber :Replace PS3 with Xbox360 and you might be satisfied (there's no GT5 on the xbox of course, but the online system is really the best there is for a console atm).

Well I would want a really decent racing game to go with, I've played forza and PGR online at my uncles. They were fun granted but had to use a controller.

Unless I am mistaken my G25 isnt usable on the XB360?
This game is really, really good BUT the online is full of idiots. If you brake into a corner, instead of racing you they'll barrel into you and send you into the grass, ruining your race.

And the AI is fine, at least they make mistakes now.
Quote from spacedskunk :
Unless I am mistaken my G25 isnt usable on the XB360?

That's the bad news, yep, there's no way it will ever work on the xbox360. As far as i've read somewhere, it's not even a matter if they want to support it or not, it's technically not possible. Still, regarding online play on a console, i haven't seen anything as good as xboxlive.
Well, my PS3 came yesterday, and I have now spent a good amount of hours on GT5P, enough to make a decent enough impression of it.

Firstly, it's not as "good" as Forza 2 or LFS, there is more to it than that, but in a nutshell, thats it.

I won't go too much into content, simply because it's a (albeit full priced) demo, instead I will concentrate on 3 key areas, graphics, sound and physics.

I have yet to venture online, but so far my experiance with the PSN has been EXTREMELY poor, compared to XBL, it's really, really bad, XBL is one of those things that it is polished and so slick, that it just works (most of the time) out of the box, PSN isn't it's a real struggle to get working, and it's flakey, even more so than XBL (which isn't perfect).

Ok then, GT5P, graphics, wooooo, well, outstanding, the graphics are flipping amazing, especially in 1080i, it truely is photo realistic, we may have reached the pinnicle in race sim graphics here, it truely does look that good, although I have noticed some odd shadow texture problems, sometimes they "cycle" and sometimes they look quite jagged, but overall it's a gorgous looking piece of software.
The in-car cockpits are utterly amazing, best cockpits I have ever seen in a racing sim, a huge increase in immersion, the only thing I wish I could figure out is how to alter the HUD on the screen, other than that, top notch.

Sound, truthfully, it's a mixed bag, that tyre squeal is pretty poor, but the engines are "ok", the music is traditionally strange in GT games, all wierd jazz and cymbals, very odd, anyway, anyone with an interest in racing turns the music off straight away anyway

Lastly, physics, hmmm.........to be fair, not that bad, but they ain't great, lessons obviously haven't (or didn't want to) be learnt from earlier versions of GT, the cars have no feeling of "weight", the suspension doesn't seem to move at all, leading to the cars feeling like they are "skittering" around the road, bit like a skateboard.
FWD physics are pants, power on understeer seems to be canned (if power is greater than x then understeer, if power is less than x no understeer) it works like a switch, RWD physics are better, but there is just no impression of weight, or weight transfer, something Forza 2 does VERY well.

Yes, I had all aids off and physics on professional, but I am using a pad.

Overall, it's a nice game, looks amazing, sound is ok, and physics (bearly) passable, but it's no sim, and certainly no Forza beater.

But the graphics.............oh mumma..........
did u have it on professional?
Quote from danowat :Yes, I had all aids off and physics on professional, but I am using a pad.

Quote from lalathegreat :did u have it on professional?

Reading comprehension can be a valuable skill at times.
Quote from AndroidXP :Reading comprehension can be a valuable skill at times.

Indeed

Oh, and don't get me started on the amount of updates I had to do to get my PS3 and GT5P updated............., it was a real trial through PSN, it kept tripping out, I had to resort to downloading the 2.30 firmware on my PC, using a download manager, and transfer it over on a USB stick, I wasn't so lucky with the GT5P update, but it finally updated after a ton of "download failed" messages.
I had the same troubles with the update... pretty much everyone had. The solution is to just restart it all the time, until it's done. Since it doesn't start from scratch every time... it shows you that, but it just resumes the download actually (which is terribly slow).

Why are you not using your G25 by the way? I basically agree with your "review", but the wheel makes it all feel better, really.
Ahhh, didn't know it resumed!!!, turns out the update was 400mb!!!

The reasons I am not using my G25, firstly because the PS3/large TV is in the lounge, and my G25 is in my computer room, I just have nowhere to site the G25 in the lounge........yet.........secondly because I wanted to compare the pad feeling of Forza.
i rented this out the other day and im glad i rented cause this is not worth paying for, however the full version will definitely be worth every penny. The graphics are just amazing sometimes, and the physics have been greatly improved since gt4 but i wouldnt say theyre realistic. It works good with the G25, but using the controller feels weird, feels like theyve put some smoothing on it, which kind of helps but makes it hard to catch slides and you end up with the back swinging like a pendulum. And i still cant do proper burnouts/donuts, which means something in the physics code is still very very wrong.
Quote from danowat :Ahhh, didn't know it resumed!!!, turns out the update was 400mb!!!

The reasons I am not using my G25, firstly because the PS3/large TV is in the lounge, and my G25 is in my computer room, I just have nowhere to site the G25 in the lounge........yet.........secondly because I wanted to compare the pad feeling of Forza.

400MB! I see... haha! Well, i still think they have really slow servers/connection compared to xboxlive.

If you have the possibility to connect the ps3 to a screen in your computer room, i'd suggest to do that.

I used to do some races with the pad (same race over and over again to make money) when i was too lazy to set up the wheel. And everytime i did that, i was like "why the hell did i buy this? It's terrible!", until i connected the G25 again and was like "ahh, that's why!".
Quote from wildwilly :And i still cant do proper burnouts/donuts, which means something in the physics code is still very very wrong.

I never tried it with the pad, might be the reason why it's not working for you. It works perfectly well with the G25. If not, then something with your settings is wrong. Trust me, it works.
Quote from danowat :

Yes, I had all aids off and physics on professional, but I am using a pad.

dude... a pad?
You should have said that at the beginning of the post. I was starting to think why my impressions are so different from yours.

you have to use a wheel and set it to "simulation" mode.
It's a console game, to should be able to be played (and designed to be played) using a pad, sure it's not the best way, but it's what most people have, we don't all want lots of hardware clouttering up our living rooms.

Forza does a great job of conveying the feeling of driving to the pad, and there is no reason why GT5p shouldn't either.

I will try it will the G25 shortly, I hope it's as good as people are saying
well does lfs have to be played with mouse + kb, cause its a pc game? (ahah, you see what i did there? )

things are changing on console, ever since gt4 bundled with a wheel.

I found it a nice surprise with the G25, you dont feel the suspension working as much as lfs until you get to the S class and quick tune is unlocked, default setups are sucky sucky. Especially the mercedes slr.
I also loved the low speed grip. It doesn't slide or squeells like lfs. It feels so good.
Quote from spyshagg :I also loved the low speed grip. It doesn't slide or squeells like lfs. It feels so good.

Try a race in arcade mode, and use "simulation/road/street tires" (whatever they are called). You'll remember the days when people used to say "LFS feels like driving on ice".

They are supposed to feel closer to reality. IMO, they have not enough grip, but they feel better than the sport tires. Throttle control and weight transfers work much better... it almost feels like those tires enhance the physics (when you lost traction/are in a slide/drift).

the GT5 Prolouge thread
(400 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG