The online racing simulator
Something [does god exist]
(421 posts, started )
Quote from Bladerunner :Mandatory reading!

Wasn't he the guy who got killed on a zebra crossing after proving God didn't exist?
Quote from LFSn00b :Well, i got back from school 30 mins ago and i am kinda confused.

Niko, it's OK to like boys. Being gay is very popular nowadays. You get your own music and film festivals and everything.....

Oh, you're talking about religion.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Wasn't he the guy who got killed on a zebra crossing after proving God didn't exist?

No, he was the guy who got killed on a zebra crossing after proving that black was white

Quote :Oolong Colluphid is the guy who made a small fortune when he wrote the best-selling book "Well That about Wraps It Up for God," which central theme was the theory some thinkers have chosen to see as a final and clinching proof of the nonexistence of God. The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn´t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don´t. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn´t thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic. "Oh, that was easy," says man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing. Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo´s kidneys, but that didn´t stop Oolon Colluphid

Source: H2G2
Niko, have you read The God Delusion (it's sold as "Jumalharha" in Finnish, if Wikipedia is correct)? Regardless of your outlook on religion, it is an excellent book which I heartily encourage people to read .
Quote from Bob Smith :
Oh, you're talking about religion.

Well, we know what goes on with boys in churches. Choirboys anyhow ;p
Yes, "Jumalharha" would be a fine piece of reading...

I'm actually kind of surprized to hear you (other finns) talk about religion classes since I can't remember being thaught any of that god crap in junior or now in senior high (=yläaste ja lukio, am.) We just concentrated on real issues, such as religion as a science, ethics etc. But even if you had to study them the lutheran view isn't that awful. It could be worse.

What comes to the actual outlook of life, I consider myself an agnostic. I believe God could exist, even though it's unlikely since science hasn't been able to prove that.
#32 - w126
Providing proofs of the existence of God is just funny. Religion is not science. If you believe you don't need any proofs.
Even atheists may admit it's possible that our whole universe is just one of the simulations run by some civilization much more advanced than ours. We may be just characters (the dumb AI ) in a computer game used be some kid. If this is true then for any practical purpose (if any) this kid is our god.
Quote from Bladerunner :No, he was the guy who got killed on a zebra crossing after proving that black was white

Source: H2G2

Yep...that's the guy. I got the zebra crossing bit right
Quote from Mazz4200 :For the ancient Hebrews, and the bible, a day is from sun-up to sunset, and the dark bit in between is called night. (See Genesis 1:5) Basically it is a normal 24hr cycle based on the earths rotation, just the same as everyone else uses.

Actually, the length of a day has not remained constant, and was longer, in Earth's past (while it has continued to cool, and contract). In fact, the tsunami in Indonesia, a year or so ago, reportedly involved a decrease, in the length of a day, by a few microseconds (presumably, this was a result of conservation of angular momentum, following a subduction of a tectonic plate).

The tsunami was caused by an earthquake (in this case, undersea), which represents a sudden release, by movement, of built-up stress where tectonic plates had been forced together (cause of force: uncertain, but generally thought to be convection currents, deep below the surface). A "subduction" is a type of tectonic movement wherein the edge of one plate slides under the edge of another. The result may be a change of distribution of Earth's mass, such that more mass becomes closer to Earth's rotational axis (since a subduction generally represents a denser, oceanic plate's sliding under a less dense, continental plate); this represents a decrease in Earth's moment of inertia, and a consequent increase in Earth's angular speed, since the product of these, is constant. So, faster rotation of Earth -> shorter day.
Quote from Dajmin :Ontological
Doesn't really matter. God by his very definition must be the embodiment of all things righteous and good. But since he is also vengeful, he must also have a darker side. Because he did wipe out nearly everyone in the world via a flood at one point. Charming.

Lacking in charm as may be - but God by his definition is just - and, therefore, cannot let sin go unpunished - hence flooding. To be just is a part of being righteous.

I'm sure you wouldn't call the police unfair for locking up a criminal, would you? Same story, really. At the end of the day, there's no point in having laws if there aren't consequences for breaking them - there may as well be no laws, otherwise.

Quote from Mazz4200 : That 'Unit of Time' thing is simply a cop-out, to try to explain that the world must have taken longer than the claimed 6 days.

Quote from duke_toaster :Niko, have you read The God Delusion (it's sold as "Jumalharha" in Finnish, if Wikipedia is correct)? Regardless of your outlook on religion, it is an excellent book which I heartily encourage people to read.

I find this far more hilarious. Well worth the listen.

Quote from w126 :Providing proofs of the existence of God is just funny. Religion is not science. If you believe you don't need any proofs.

I think the world would be a better place if everybody ignored the teachings of J.C. and heeded the Word of J.L. instead:
Quote : Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

I'm reading the Bible. And boy is it dull! The boat catalog in Iliad was nothing compared to this lenghty boredom.

Take the ten commandments part. It's like:
"Here areth teh commandments! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10."
And that's all.
Then it goes at lenght about what kind of materials and how the ark must be made and the hut where it's kept.
There is page after page about the bleeding hut! Compared to the one paragraph of the actual commandments.

If there is a god, he is bonkers.
There is no god.

Only Dustin.
#41 - SamH
Here I am, laughing at the US for making moves towards teaching creationism in state schools, and all the while it's been happening in Finland? Oh dear!
Quote from SamH :Here I am, laughing at the US for making moves towards teaching creationism in state schools, and all the while it's been happening in Finland? Oh dear!

I believe those classes are meant to be about all religions. Christianity, Islam, Budism, Hinduism, etc. Atleast that´s how the goverment wanted to implement those classes here but it didn´t go down very well with the public so I haven´t heard about that law anymore in recent times. The other thing is that I´m sure those classes would turn into Lutherian propaganda because only religious people would be interested in teaching those classes. And since the most common religion here is Lutherism then I´d guess most of teachers would be Lutherans. Maybe that´s what happened to Niko. I find it hard to believe that the Finns would implement mandatory Christian-learning or whatever you´d call it. I had a class about religion in the third grade. It wasn´t mandatory but I was young and stupid and thought it was so I took it. It was all about Christianity.

I´m an Atheist btw.
#43 - SamH
We still suffer from state-sponsored religious schools in the UK, and religious indoctrination is common in many of those christian "madrasahs". If religion had been preached at the school I attended, there would have been hell to pay. I took religious education but my teacher never suggested that god did exist, or said that god didn't exist. We were just taught different ideologies and their implications/historical ramifications. If we were taught anything, we were taught to question everything we were told and make up our own minds.. and that was fine by me. I'm agnostic, btw.. I don't believe it's possible to know if god exists or not.. I believe equally that god may exist and god may not exist, and that extremists in any respect are intellectual morons by definition.
Although R.E. was mandatory in my previous school/s, they never actually taught us christianity in high school at all while I was there. The main religions they taught us were Judaism, Hinduism and Islam. I'm not in any way religious, and as a post yesterday says the truth on how I feel, that humans make up religions for when we run out of knowledge, it gives us something to lean on when we don't know what's going on, that's how I feel about religion tbh.

I must state though I did attend the "lighthouse club" at the local Evangelical church, not because I thought God was real or anything like that, but because it gave me something to do on the most boring day of the week. I've never stepped into a proper church, and I never want to.
Quote from SamH :Here I am, laughing at the US for making moves towards teaching creationism in state schools, and all the while it's been happening in Finland? Oh dear!

In essence it is brainwashing, no doubts about it. It starts right from the 1st grade and lasts until you finish school. Of course it all depends on the teacher but mostly it is (from my personal experience) about lutherism and on later years it is about other religions as well but the teaching is still idealistic (=the teacher wants you to believe). The disgusting fact is that it starts when the pupils are 6 or 7 years-old and all that religion stuff is taught as it was all fact and real. Sad but hopefully it will change on some point...
in my opinion, as crazy as it may sound to you guys..... lol

I believe that our existence and the existence of life on this planet has something to do with the existence of life elsewhere in the universe... or in some 'higher plane'. I mean, look at it this way... the universe is estimated to be 15-20 billion years old, however our Sun is only about 4.5 billion years old. There are an enormous amount of other stars and galaxies out there that are much, much older then ours.. many of which have planets and the like just like us.... I don't see how it's possible that we are alone in the universe... especially considering how young our solar system is... Think of the movie Men in Black... the cat had a charm on its collar that had a 'galaxy' inside of it. Hey.. you never know... i know this is quite askew from religion so to speak, but still.
Quote from LFSn00b :But in the ninth grade which i am right now, we have to listen how our teacher blabbers about why god is so great and why does he exist and how he saves people... No offense, it's just really boring

That's not how it's supposed to be! You should be learning, ethics, outlook of life etc. 'Ethics' (if that's the right word for the subject?) more than religion. Your suffering from a too enthusiastic teacher.
I had Religion in school since 1st grade, but it was never like Noob experienced it, more like a history lesson based on the different religions and turned later in a kind of Ethic subject (we discussed "Matrix" for two weeks and even wrote a test about it) And I went to a school managed by the lutheran church. Some of my friends are Hindu, and they never complained about anything
Don't worry, you'll find out the answer in the end. Remember: You will die.

Something [does god exist]
(421 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG