The online racing simulator
the GT5 Prolouge thread
(400 posts, started )
Huge opening post.... There's only one thing to discuss: the physics. Do they still suck?
It sucks a little less bad but still nowhere close to making me cum.
I'm not like you guys.

I like driving I play lfs.
I like cars with authentic looks and sound, I play GT5P.

This isn't religion, one man one wife. I can like many things at the same time.
I won't hate the game because of one guys opinion of it.
well not much of us actually take LFS as an religion....
Quote from spyshagg :I'm not like you guys.

I like driving I play lfs.
I like cars with authentic looks and sound, I play GT5P.

This isn't religion, one man one wife. I can like many things at the same time.
I won't hate the game because of one guys opinion of it.

Who says we hate it?
It must be great racing game to play with friends, better than gt4 for sure. I bought ps2 + gt4 the day it came out. I still play it sometimes with pad. waste of money, months later i bought a powerfull pc and LFS . With wheel nothing comes close to the chiling LFS gives me. Cya
Spyshag when I picked up GT4, I expected the physics to have had as much improvement as the graphics. "Real driving simulator" and all.
Instead, it was like playing Mario Kart with nice graphics. By your analogy, it's like choosing between a date with a nice chick and one that's head of the chastity club. Thumbs down to Polyphony for raking in so much cash and still putting out crappy physics.
Quote from TiJay :...
I can't wait for my copy of GT5P to be delivered but I hope there's a proper thread on it instead of this rant/goodbye.

Last time i checked this was an LFS forum.. maybe it's an idea to go to a GT5P forum and keep this one LFS related?
Quote from crimespree :i had the jap version it I agree it handled badly, there are some welcome changes for the PAL version and on top of that it gets some more improvements after you download the online online update

What kind of updates, what part of GT5P do they improve?

However, the GT team had so much time and so much money to work with and still had not made much improvement in the sim direction. While their box says "Real Driving Simulator."

I had deleted the game because it was wasting space on my hard drive, so its a bit too late.
Quote from legoflamb :What kind of updates, what part of GT5P do they improve?

However, the GT team had so much time and so much money to work with and still had not made much improvement in the sim direction. While their box says "Real Driving Simulator."

I had deleted the game because it was wasting space on my hard drive, so its a bit too late.

do you honestly think they want to change anything?

They have a brand, a name, and a game. If they get to the long awaited gt5 and no one can drive it because its so realistic, they'd be ruining themselves. They coined the phrase the real driving simulator. They did this in GT1! You think it was even close to being a sim back then? Not at all. Its MARKETING!

Also, most console racers use a controller. Controllers don't really suit real sim racing that well. If everyone was guaranteed to have a wheel, maybe they'd make some changes to be a bit more realistic, but right now I'd say maybe 5% use a wheel with console games.

Gran turismo is always going to feel like the gran turismo games in the past. They might change some things, add some damage or something...but people know gran turismo, want gran turismo, and expect gt5 to feel like gran turismo.

What they've done with gt5 is amazing. The graphics and sound are so realistic. Coupled with a pretty fun driving physics, they have another hit game. Honestly I can't wait to get my copy of GT:P. I keep watching the video of the formula one car, and I can't get my mind off of it. I likely won't get enough credits to buy it, but maybe it'll keep me playing. LFS has ruined any other racing game for me that tries to be a sim. Forza isn't fun, gran turismo isn't really that much fun anymore. I have more fun with need for speed esque games than the pretty good console sims.

What you get with LFS is a good community, a solid online environment, and good clean racing (most of the time). Leagues in lfs go beyond what the consoles could hope for.
I must admit that game looks amazing, absolutely eyeblowing candy stuff

but when it comes to online play like this or that it is ...astonishing?
fixed
In demo?:rolleyes:
I think it's a shame that Polyphony don't just go that extra bit further and model the physics correctly too. If they have to hire the LFS/GPL guys, then do it, they've got the money.

It seems they have to dumb it down slightly for the masses, but it is a shame, when they've got the amazing graphics and real-life tracks and cars.

Any LFS fan here would kill for the GT5 graphics and cars, the Nurburgring and the LFS physics model. That would be the complete package.
gt5 will never be a competitor to lfs. because its not that ambitious to be a real driving simulator (i know the advertising is a paradoxon). but it will be a great game, no doubt. and great value for money. oh, have i said that prologue is a rip off? pay for 1/10 of a game and pay again for the whole months later?
well if you can't wait that's ok, but i will wait. and gt5 will be great. anyway it's nice to see the lfs bandwagon in action. the same phrases all over again, in germany it's called "totschlagargumente". they are getting boring.
yeah....only three developers blah blah blah......physics,......whatever well i don't care but i also i don't want to complain.
lfs is the best value for money i have ever got in a game. if i complained i would be a ungrateful *whatever* because i don't have the right to do so. especially not in these forums. i simply chose to drive other "simulator", unfortunately lfs can't provide new content. New Tracks, new cars...playing around with it, lots of fun. well, for most of you guys, thats pretty pointless and you are proud of it. driving the same combos again and again is great for some guys who expect a big career in lfs-gaming, but for me it got boring. i just want to have fun, i have no goals while driving lfs (anymore ).

And pls don't forget. Most of the oldschool top notch racers are only driving lfs when they have to. to practice the combos for their league races, mostly private. that wasn't the case years ago, there where lots of races just for the fun of it. no point dumping this on the "wreckers", there arent many wreckers on the servers. the pros are bored. GTR GTR GTR + the new tracks ARE boring.

Ohhhh i forgot the YOU-HAVEN'T-DRIVEN-EVERY-SINGLE-CAR-ON-EACH TRACK-Argument how could i dare to complain!?! Well, i hate frontwheel driven cars and i dont like cars with a lot of downforce, slicks arend that great either....and i love rallycross. since lfs s1 nothing relevant happened contendwise.the RAC is worthless, the Fz50 is a fat pig, it's the best car for RX, but well ,the FXR would be the best car with a decent suspension and rallycross tyres for RX anyway. it would be a real RX-Car like it is used in todays rallycross. oh....sorry i lost myself here.... well you don't need to drive UF1000 on KY1 to know thats not that great.

lfs's netcode and physics are still the best. no need to deny that. but driving the gti with better physics and netcode around blackwood doesn't make my day! i am desperately waiting to get something new and i am willing to pay for it! the price for s1 and s2 was a joke! in germany you have to pay much more for a game. MUCH MUCH MORE! most of the lfs buyers are willing to spent lots of money for extra content. pls stop throwing in the value for money. if someone is hungry you cant throw in the "YOU GOT SO MUCH TO EAT 3 YEARS AGO FOR ONLY 24 BUCKS!". Everyone who buys prologue now will buy whatever Eric has completed for the final release of s2 for extra money. just to have it before it actually get released.
anyway, lots of text and i know i will get some bitchslapping because of it. but when there isn't anyone left to bitchslap, because the bitchslapped don't bother to post anymore, the bitchslappers are getting lonely. always the same guys defending lfs at all costs, forgetting that most of the forum users are here initially because they love to drive lfs.
People here talk about how much money PD has and how many employees they have as a bad thing, as if defending Scavier and the gang. LFS is super great. GT5p is great. But different things still. Butter for bread, ketchup for.. well I don't eat ketchup really. It's been a couple of years since I last played LFS online, and it's a shame, but I've just not had the opportunity. So there might have been major updates (asides from the physics, which I know are updated but I already acknowledged the physics as top notch two years ago).

My view on things: GT5p has great graphics/sound and OK physics while LFS has OK graphics/sound and great physics. Simple as that. Someone above me mentioned combining the look and feel of GT with the physics of LFS, which would be epic perfection! Mastering a car in LFS and shaving off seconds of your laptimes is great fun with consistensy and the whole shabam, but I nearly got an orgasm today when I sat down in my cockpit right in front of my 40" LCD, turned up the stereo, revved the V8 behind my head and let loose the clutch of the F40 and all hell broke loose. The voice of satan's V8 roared through the room as smoke rised up behind me and I reached 240kph. Wheels locking as I brake and heel&toe my way in to the first apex of Suzuka and carefully slingshooting myself out of the corner. GT5p does not have perfect realism, but combine it with the look and sound of the cars and the realism is good enough to give a satisfactory driving experience.

I'll set me up a PC again and hook it up to the stereo/tv and switch between the two games whenever I feel like it. It's just a matter of taste. Some like only LFS, some only GT, I happen to like both very much (allthough very fresh to GT. Barely tried GT2, had GT5p for 4 days now) I would like better engine sound in LFS. Hearing the engine do it's job is important for making you feel like you're actually sitting in a car, and it enhances the impression of the car being some sort of a wild beast you have to tame and control through the corners.

Edit: Note that I started writing this before the post above me, but my brain stopped working and I saw a movie before finishing the post now. The guy above has some of the same points as me. FYI; GT5 will come out in 2009, aprx one year from now. GT5p costs about 50% of regular PS3 games, so PD makes a shitload of money and it's pocket litter for every working man. Everybody is happy. Except fanboys not wanting PD to make money, of course. Money to buy licenses, so we can race real cars on real tracks with reasonable physics.

Meh, I'll have to add another point. Why the flying f*ck must games be 100% realistic? Yes, LFS is a game and only that. A close to real-life one of course. But far from real life still, sitting in a GTR car blasting down a straight. Too many factors differ to be able to say "I race well in LFS so I can race a GTR car on track. No problem". Then it comes down to skill needed to race well in the games. Driving the F40 or the Ford GT LM "test car" (990kg/600+ hp) on pro settings with all aids off, including ABS, is not easy at all. It takes serious control of the wheel and throttle control. Is it the exact same behaviour as in a real car? Why should it be, unless you use the game for traning, in which case you would be a nutcase. Summum summarum: what makes racing games/sims fun is the skill it takes and the satisfaction of mastering it, and both LFS and GT5 provides that, but LFS provides the physics to a bigger degree, while GT5 tones it down but gives you a spectacle of sound and graphics instead. And it fullfills many childhood dreams of driving exotic cars which are recreated to the smallest detail, where LFS of course fails automatically because there is only one licensed car (no more than the F1 sauber yet?) Pick and choose! I want both. EOD.
that was summed up beautifully
gt5: great graphics and sound, OK physics
LFS: OK graphics, great physics.

both games can be played and enjoyed on different levels

end of discussion............
Quote from spanks :do you honestly think they want to change anything?

They have a brand, a name, and a game. If they get to the long awaited gt5 and no one can drive it because its so realistic, they'd be ruining themselves. They coined the phrase the real driving simulator. They did this in GT1! You think it was even close to being a sim back then? Not at all. Its MARKETING!

Also, most console racers use a controller. Controllers don't really suit real sim racing that well. If everyone was guaranteed to have a wheel, maybe they'd make some changes to be a bit more realistic, but right now I'd say maybe 5% use a wheel with console games.

Gran turismo is always going to feel like the gran turismo games in the past. They might change some things, add some damage or something...but people know gran turismo, want gran turismo, and expect gt5 to feel like gran turismo.

What they've done with gt5 is amazing. The graphics and sound are so realistic. Coupled with a pretty fun driving physics, they have another hit game. Honestly I can't wait to get my copy of GT:P. I keep watching the video of the formula one car, and I can't get my mind off of it. I likely won't get enough credits to buy it, but maybe it'll keep me playing. LFS has ruined any other racing game for me that tries to be a sim. Forza isn't fun, gran turismo isn't really that much fun anymore. I have more fun with need for speed esque games than the pretty good console sims.

What you get with LFS is a good community, a solid online environment, and good clean racing (most of the time). Leagues in lfs go beyond what the consoles could hope for.

As for Gran Turismo, honestly no, personally, yes I would like them to change. Eye candy doesn't really interest me, unless its women we were talking about, it faded away when I experienced how good a sim made with limited budget and three main developers could turn out to be when supported by a community that wants the same or close to the came thing. Also, I have chosen which I prefer in one of my posts.

The community (clean racing) and expectation (developmental) is why I play LFS. I do agree that LFS and its community go beyond what other games/sims could hope for, which is the reason I hope its development continues well beyond S3.
Quote from petercollins :
It seems they have to dumb it down slightly for the masses, but it is a shame, when they've got the amazing graphics and real-life tracks and cars.

I don't think it's dumbed down. Have you played the latest release? I just downloaded the update to the JPN version. I turned ABS off. This game is extremely hard.

If there is anything off about the physics it's not because they were trying to make anything easy.

I sense that they are pushing for ultra realism. They're not pulling any punches.

Oh and the Ferrari F1 is the most beautiful set of polygons I have ever seen.

(I turned down the force feedback to 1 and it feels great)
Honestly, TL: DR for the whole thread, but I believe GT5 will be worth playing just for the graphics, and the physics will probably be good enough to be enjoyable. For instance, the behavior of the car will probably not be THAT bad to be considered unrealistic, probably, just as in GT4, way too unpronounced.

I've just checked the GT5 Screenshots, though, and I must say they're really amazing. Anybody still considering LFS to be even close to that is delirious, to say the least ><
all that may be true but you cant polish a turd
That's what I call real spirit !

After some sensible and objective posts, you always have some monkey a** stick his fanboy head and reveal the dark side of lfs community in all its glory...

Keep it up guys
lol Fetzo, nice reply

For me it's kinda the same, I'm having fun with both LFS and GT5:P. I've played the prologue yesterday and I must say, I really had tons of fun with the little Suzuki Cappuchino and the brutal Z06 Vette, especially the last one is pretty "twitchy" dare I say haha.. no more driving on rails for these cars with all aids off I can assure you. It kinda feels like driving the GTT Turbo back in S1..once it goes..forget it lol. Realistic ? I dunno.. but do I really care ? I'm having fun, that's for sure . Tonight I'll be racing OLFSL race with LX6.. that's fun..and then when that one is over I'll probably find myself playing GT5 again
got myself a copy of GT5 prologue the other day, now i wont even bother comparing it to lfs, gt5 is game for the masses, lfs it to appeal to 1 crowd. personally i find gt5 is a blast, good fun to drive real cars with amazing graphics (i am using my g25). i think people just need to realise that they are comparing apples and oranges here, one shouldn't have to be better than the other it is just a play both for different reasons scenario

the GT5 Prolouge thread
(400 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG