The online racing simulator
There's only a few modern-ish cars I'd be interested in... most of which were mentioned in this thread

S2000 inspired car
MX-5 (either gen 1 or gen 2) inspired car
MR2 inspired car
RX-7/RX-8 inspired car (2 seater, modern RX-8 handling, RX-7 style body, with a 3 rotor NA powerplant).
Elise/Exige inspired car

Wow I think adding all those cars would "complete" the road cars category. Right now there's a severe lack of "fun" sports cars.

A 40 car MX-5 field would be awesome. Check out some of these vids.
About this thread in general.

There are some NFS series made for driving awesome looking cars.

We're here about the physics mmkay
Quote from RudiTurbo :About this thread in general.

There are some NFS series made for driving awesome looking cars.

We're here about the physics mmkay

hey I agree. I'm interested in the physics of the cars I mentioned above!

All are fairly modern, lightweight, rwd road cars - something we're lacking in LFS (caterham doesn't count as a road car IMHO).
s2000, mx5, mr2 what is this live for speed or live to hair dress?
Quote from andybarsblade :s2000, mx5, mr2 what is this live for speed or live to hair dress?

""If you can not go fast with a 90 hp, 900hp will not help you."
lol stupid comment, cant imagine anything more pathetic than a guy in a mx5/mr2/mgf(or any midlife crysis soft top) trying to act the tough guy thrashing round his very gay little car trying to prove its fast/good/not camp
Quote from andybarsblade :lol stupid comment, cant imagine anything more pathetic than a guy in a mx5/mr2/mgf(or any midlife crysis soft top) trying to act the tough guy thrashing round his very gay little car trying to prove its fast/good/not camp

Maybe you should move to the US. We have plenty of overweight, crappy handling cars that will put hair on your chest. Might as well add the lotus to your list of hair dresser cars. My daily driver has tons more power than it... it must be slow.
ok, yes they are slow
Anyone who doesn't like MX-5's is either tall, not very good at driving, or doesn't know what handling is all about. Simple.

Andy drives, I think, an Impreza. Which means probably the last two of my points apply. Oh no, it might be Evos. In which case it's probably just the latter, because he lets a computer make him look competent. When shall I next beat an Evo on a twisty road in a bog standard MX-5?
Quote from tristancliffe :Anyone who doesn't like MX-5's is either tall, not very good at driving, or doesn't know what handling is all about. Simple.

Andy drives, I think, an Impreza. Which means probably the last two of my points apply. Oh no, it might be Evos. In which case it's probably just the latter, because he lets a computer make him look competent. When shall I next beat an Evo on a twisty road in a bog standard MX-5?

Or, has never driven one. My dad was the total "MX5 is a hairdressers gay car." Until he drove his mates, he quickly took back that statement and he actually wants one now.
Quote from gezmoor : Take Hot Hatches for example 80s versions were lucky to break 8.5s 0-60 and top 125 mph, their modern equivilents can easily do sub 7 seconds and 140+ mph and they'll handle safely, (and brake safely from), over 100 mph which deffinitely can't be said for the 80s variants.

As you say they have less feel and go faster, so you end up driving dangerously fast without enjoying yourself in the public road.

Quote from andybarsblade :lol stupid comment, cant imagine anything more pathetic than a guy in a mx5/mr2/mgf(or any midlife crysis soft top) trying to act the tough guy thrashing round his very gay little car trying to prove its fast/good/not camp

There's never a need for a good car to have over a 100bhp, on the road it's still more than enough to kill yourself and loose your license on a track day if you can't enjoy yourself in a low power car your obviously not driving it near enough to the limit, which adding more power will certainly not help.
-1 for new cars. Unless they are total hits, something unique. I'd prefer Lamborgini Countach LP400S rather than Murcelago.
Attached images
1121034-rear.jpg
Quote from JTbo :New cars really does suck

Ascari A10
Lotus Exige
Carver 1
Noble M15
TVR Sagaris
911 GT3 RS
Vauxhall VX220
Vauxhall Monaro

I see what you mean..... not
Quote from detail :-1 for new cars. Unless they are total hits, something unique. I'd prefer Lamborgini Countach LP400S rather than Murcelago.

That cars a case of never meet your heroes. As proved by James May (iirc).

The steering is VERY heavy, the clutch is VERY heavy, the gear changes are comparable to cutting down a tree with a hammer, overall that car is terrible to drive.

But, It makes a lovely noise and looks rather nice.
Quote from ajp71 :As you say they have less feel and go faster, so you end up driving dangerously fast without enjoying yourself in the public road.

You'll get no argument from me about that. I have exactly that problem in my current car and it's not even "hot" by todays standards, but being a turbo it does have almost effortless mid range overtaking ability which often sees me pushing the national speed limit without even trying when there is no need to be going that fast to overtake safely.

Quote :
There's never a need for a good car to have over a 100bhp, on the road it's still more than enough to kill yourself and loose your license on a track day if you can't enjoy yourself in a low power car your obviously not driving it near enough to the limit, which adding more power will certainly not help.

Not quite sure I would put the limit quite that low for a car but I agree with the general principle. When I used to only ride bikes, I only ever owned 600cc midrange sports bikes, the odd rides I did have on the likes of Fireblades taught me one very important lesson. For road riding it would be completely impossible to get any "thrill" out of a Fireblade, (and I'm not talking about straight line acceleration), without seriously putting your life at risk doing so. On the track the 600s were good enough to be fast enough to push my personal fear limits, yet slow enough to actually get some satisfaction, (and sense of achievement), out of learning to ride close to the limit. Something that I would never be able to do on a more powerful bike because the speeds needed would be just too high to let me overcome my self preservation instinct.

That's the reason I could never be a racer, (definitely on bikes and probably not in cars either), I just don't have the ability to "turn off" my survival instinct in order to just push it to the limits like racers can. It's not fear exactly, (i've never felt like I was going to die on any track days), but just the inabilty to stop thinking "if I go a bit quicker and get it wrong I'm going to end up in the gravel".
blah blah blah
i was going to but i cant be bothered?

bit like someone 's football club trying to prove it can hack it in the premier league and is a match for the man utds of this world

sorry about that couldn't resist it and before you respond, your doing far better than my club (wrexham) though we did do well just to escape from the clutches of an owner who wanted to destroy it for the redevelopment potential.

it's intersting how many people race the formula bmw rather than the bmw f1 on LFS, in theory the f1 is faster and more capable so should be the better driving experience yet apart from oval racers its usually the fbm with the greater numbers.

in real life, whilst owning a garage i had access to a lot of cars and if i had to draw up a list of my 10 most enjoyable drives, it would include amongst others an journey in an mx5 and a 911. it would also include a drive in a 2cv ! why ? because i drove it flat out, as fast as i could given the road conditions and when it was safe i was on or past the limit of adhesion on every bend, in short i had a hoot and felt like i was king of the road yet i didn't attract any attention even when i passed a police traffic car. in todays traffic conditions even in north wales it's becoming harder to get the chance to open up a car to its full abilities, i doubt many scoobies, evos or skylines have been driven to their limits of acceleration and cornering for more than a few seconds at a time but people like tris are having fun for minutes at a time. just like the people who support a sunday league team who don't expect to win and are having fun without the frustration of being bottom of the premiership or league 2 and worrying about relegation.

every car is fantastic in the eyes of an enthusiastic owner, they all have their differing attractions, most modern cars are more capable and certainly more reliable, older cars generally provide a more raw experience, its interesting how there are more "raw" cars such as the atom becoming available and how sports cars are becoming more common again after almost being killed off by the hot hatch in the '80s as people search for the involvement in driving.

forgot to say everyone when able to chooses their car for reasons which are valid to them and as such each car is equally valid as a solution to their needs and others should accept that.
Quote from andybarsblade :i was going to but i cant be bothered?

Interesting. I can only assume that there was something I wrote that you either don't agree with or are defensive about. Not exactly sure why as it isn't in any way any kind of attack on you plus I actually agreed with your statement.

So I'll choose not to care about what it was you "couldn't be bothered" to write.
no gezmoor nothing to do with what you wrote. i agree with what you have written, although as an ex fireblade rider i did ride it on track fast and it never felt too fast on the road as its up to you how fast you want to ride it same with cars
Quote from andybarsblade :no gezmoor nothing to do with what you wrote. i agree with what you have written, although as an ex fireblade rider i did ride it on track fast and it never felt too fast on the road as its up to you how fast you want to ride it same with cars

In which case I appologise, I thought your response was aimed at me and I obviously took it the wrong way.

Well if you really were an instructor at Donnington then I would hope that a fireblade wouldn't be too fast for you.

One thing doing track days really taught me was a lot of respect for motorcycle racers. Especially one time at Mallory when John Reynolds chose to be on track as part of his race prep for a meet that weekend whilst a bunch of us mere mortals were having a trackday ! It's truely humbling to see guys that are already quicker than you being passed like they're standing still.
Quote from gezmoor :In which case I appologise, I thought your response was aimed at me and I obviously took it the wrong way.

His response was aimed at me... Thanks to him, I have now changed my thoughts on sports cars. Lightweight? RWD? That's for sissies. Devs, please add the Ford F250 Super Duty Extreme 4x4 edition to LFS. That thing has mad powah.

Just kidding andy. I just have a hard time respecting your opinion when you classify an s2000 as a hair dressers car. That thing will hand just about any car its ass on just about any track. Forget about the fact that it's a convertible. That has little to do with the car's performance. I can understand your lack of interest in the MX-5. Yes, its slower than most LFS cars, but that doesn't mean its less enjoyable. It should be a bit faster than the XFG (one of the most popular LFS cars), provide just as close racing, and be more fun with its FR layout. I don't expect everyone to agree with me and my taste for cars. Judging by the lfsworld charts, not many do. Much more people seem to prefer the FWD XFG, UF, and FXO type cars over the RWD LX4, LX6, and RAC - a bit odd for a niche racing simulator if you ask me...
How about a one of those old Formula cars that use a huge fan to extenuate the ground effect?
An MX-5 style car gets a huge +1 from me. I've always wanted one. Everytime I see one I turn my head and look. Sadly though I'm pretty tall, so I'm afraid a simulator will be as close as I'll ever get to driving one.

Personally I think there won't be any more "normal" cars added to LFS for a while. I have a feeling that the next big upgrade will be a rally expansion, with 4x4 rally cars. That, or some old vintage racing cars. Either way that would definitely bring something new to the game!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG