The online racing simulator
Quote from SamH :I'd really like to see the edges of the FXO rounded a bit, but I think Jakg would hunt me down and remove my lungs with a spoon if Eric did it.

LOL

The FXO could do with some "smoothing" (as in a more detailed model), but the cars shouldn't become 2008 models - the XRT IS an old car (ie 10+ years), and so should have 80's/early 90's styling.
Quote from tristancliffe :Sam - if you spent as much time on the CTRA stuff in game than you do on the logos/avatars, then CTRA would be the only racing league in the world, for both real stuff and sim racing! Is there really any need for an A4 sized logo though?

Oi! We've been working very hard this last week or 3 on X2! The logo only took an hour
Quote from andybarsblade :
now i assume if your saying ayc is a driving aid then what about cars with lsds power steering abs?

Power steering is a driving aid that makes a car easier to drive in road conditions, but is normally detrimental in performance situations due to the lack of any true feel in the steering. For this reason racing cars usually do not use power steering if possible, it certainly doesn't make the car faster. Like power steering a conventional LSD uses no logic, it has no idea what the car is doing and doesn't make a car necessarily easier to drive in all situations, for this reason it's not a driving aid as such but it is performance enhancing.

ABS is based on logic and can be either a performance aid as seen on a lot of rather boring road cars and an increasing number of racing cars, a lot of systems are designed to be performance enhancing and will brake optimally and get in the way when pushing to the limit, simply standing on the brake being the fastest way to brake requires no skill and the car automatically accommodating if you decide to go round a corner with the brake pedal pressed hard isn't fun and only teaches bad habits. Properly setup ABS on a road car isn't performance enhancing and is simply a safety aid for the idiots that can't brake properly, the Focus ABS will happily allow you to lock a wheel and release pressure without doing anything and only acts if you don't sort the problem out yourself, which anybody with a driving license should be more than capable of.

Quote from andybarsblade :tristian if you think going 120 makes a car fun why not just go book a cheap flight you can do 500mph ohhhh what fun.

how you can say karts are boring and slow has me baffled? i thought you raced cars? or do you just go round tracks till the flag comes out then bring it in polish it make some little setup changes that you think will make you faster then go out again? karts are awesome fun no question

The lap record for F4 at Mallory Park is 107mph, given that we're talking cars that reach about 130mph in race trim that's some seriously fast cornering speeds. Tristan's car has a bigger engine than that so even if go karts offer you some close racing you must be able to see that averaging about double the speed for the same money has an appeal as well? It's also true that a kart is very simple, for someone that has both an interest and skills in engineering a real car provides a second challenge and interest rather than a few bits of tube with an engine and solid rear axle stuck on them.
Quote from andybarsblade :come on dont be silly its simply a case of if a wheelspeed reads 0 but the cars speed/other wheel speeds arent 0 it activates

if only you had been the guy desiging abs in the first place
if so driving aids might have never caught on and we wouldnt have this discussion
Quote from ajp71 :The lap record for F4 at Mallory Park is 107mph, given that we're talking cars that reach about 130mph in race trim that's some seriously fast cornering speeds. Tristan's car has a bigger engine than that so even if go karts offer you some close racing you must be able to see that averaging about double the speed for the same money has an appeal as well? It's also true that a kart is very simple, for someone that has both an interest and skills in engineering a real car provides a second challenge and interest rather than a few bits of tube with an engine and solid rear axle stuck on them.

My times at Mallory, which was a red flagged race, so I'm using best guess by taking one second off my only dry flying lap of the day, was 108mph. I normally improve by more than that, but it's a short circuit so a second it is.

The lap record is 109.55 mph (44.4 seconds), which to sustain over 1.35 miles, with a slow 30mph hairpin and short straights is quite fast. If there is one place not to have an accident it's Gerrards.
Well, i think from newer cars, something like a subaru STI and a mitsuibshi evo ... and maybe a s2000 type of car would be a great addition... I really wonder, how a subaru sti (not the latest one) would look in lfs ..
Quote from tristancliffe :
The lap record is 109.55 mph (44.4 seconds), which to sustain over 1.35 miles, with a slow 30mph hairpin and short straights is quite fast. If there is one place not to have an accident it's Gerrards.

I'd still rather have an off at Gerrards than the second Esse or Devils Elbow, I love how the recent safety improvements there involved some nominal gravel trap that I think your likely to fly straight over into the new doubled up super high armco.
I assume you've seen the photo of me stuck in the gravel at Devil's Elbow? Wet practice. First lap out of the pits, HUGE stream at both the Esses and Devil's, but the second one caught me (and several others with much more experience) out, and around I went. Was lucky not to be hit really, looking back at it.
Tristan you have just proven you know nothing about motorsport by slagin off karts and you whole argument started by say a mx5 is good not because of lap time but how it handles and feels etc etc karts are known for being the best handling things ever. AND bollocks does karting cost that much maybe at super one level but not club level you can buy one for 1500 and maybe 400 a race meeting that fuel food accomadation everything so lets some this up ..... your a bellend who speaks a lot of crap.
Attrocious. Tom scores 1 infraction.
Since when did I say karts don't handle well? I find the machinary simplistic (the sort of thing I'd have thought about when I was 14), I find the karts a bit slow (no risk, little adrenaline). Sure the racing is quite enjoyable, but most of the time ruined by poor maintained karts (assuming arrive and drive, which is the only form of karting I can acheive).

I can afford to race an F3 car. I can't afford to race in karts. And I'm not just speaking finanically.

Would you like me, in addition to helping you read and understand my post (to which yu were replying), by also translating your post into English? You might learn something, and if your communication skills can improve then you'll do a lot better in a lot of things - jobs, arguing, women, social class... Tis a wonderful thing a [semi] mastery of your native language.
sorry tristan that does'nt make sense to me? (i know what us lowly engineers earn )how can running a f3 car cost less (alot less it seems by what your saying) than a kart? if your only experiance of karts is arrive and drive 4 stroke crap then you should try some of the proper 100/125 2 strokes they are really fast, ok take a kart round donington it wont seem much but then take them to a kart track they are awesome.
i would'nt look down on karts/drivers just because you drive an old f3 car, bigger isnt always better
I have some experience on 2-stroke racing karts. Yes, it was quicker. But I still don't get the same rush out of doing 50mph on what is about as technical as a skateboard.

And, if you read my post, you'd see that I meant afford in more than just financial terms. Yes, for the same money I could get a clapped out kart and a clapped out engine, but I'd be bored of the simplicity after a month or so. A car, a real car, with power, and torque and springs and brakes is vastly more appealing.

"Us lowly engineers"? I thought you said you didn't have a degree? I think I earn a roughly average graduate salary, but I wouldn't want to compare it with someone fresh out of college who thinks a certificate makes him an engineer.

Edit: I meant afford as in finanical, emotive, time, speed, risk, adrenaline and other such factors. I'd rather crash my car at 100mph than bother with racing a kart myself.
not sure what you mean by clapped out kart/engine, ive seen very clean karts 2004/05 for sale with mint engines going for less than 2000,
but i know what your saying from a technical point yes they are very simple but i think thats because they are designed to have minimal setup changes so its more about the driver than the vehicle,
do you have a video of you racing i can watch, just to see how adrenaline filled close action racing it is? or is it more (as i suspect) a load of old men with too much time/money and more of a sunday hobbie than a race? karts all grouped together by less than a couple of seconds on a fast twisty track is about skill and split second decision making. not crusing around on there own then coming back to the pits to spend hours fiddling with the car thinking they are making it faster.
and my wages comment was a light hearted remark, dont take it so serious.
Okay, so lets assume I get a kart for £2000. What series is that for? How many spares will I need to buy? How long to chassis last, and how long between engine rebuilds (which I'd do myself, but I'd still need new bits)... Then throw in more races, at slightly more per weekend, and it quickly becomes more expensive. But as I said (which you clearly didn't read) I mean afford in more than just money terms.

All club racing is more about the driver than the car.

I have several videos, but not all show that much because the camera was either stuck at one corner (camcorder) or broke (onboard). I do have a video of Rockingham, in which there is close racing until I spin avoiding an accident. If the camera had fecking worked at Silverstone, Brands and at Snetterton then I'd have lots of great, close racing to show you (not so much at Snetterton, but it was a damn good pass in the end ).

At the back of the grids (where I was in my first race) it's old and young men with lots of money, not much time and very little talent, either mechanical or driving. At the front* (where I was in all other races, apart from Rockingham after my spin) then it's actually younger men with time and money, and experience and skills. Some use nitrogen in their tyres. So have very advanced data logging. Some have articulated lorries. It's pretty much like actual British F3 was in the late 80s and early 90s - small teams, not much track time, not big budgets.

*front is a relative term. Our car is the second oldest on the grid, and it was unreasonable to expect to race with 1998 - 2001 Dallara F3 cars in my first season when they've been doing it for years. But I was generally 'best of the rest' behind them.

There might be lots of karts over a short time, but there is still very little risk, and with risk comes adrenaline. I just don't find karts that interesting to watch, read about or work on. Most bicycles are more advanced these days. They're a good laugh with mates (or at LFS meetings), but I wouldn't pay to do it.

If you knew anything about cars (you clearly don't ) then you'd understand that hours that go into improvments. The calculations. The many interelated setup options. Does it make the car faster? We think so, but at the same time it could be all down to me getting better. With a season under my belt my driving should have levelled off a bit, and we'll be able to see if the changes to the car do make a difference.

The wages thing I can understand. What I can't get is how you sometimes pretend to be an engineer, and then you sometimes say you aren't. Your replies give the impression that you aren't. In fact, they give the impression you're still in primary school.
kart for 2000 you'd race at club level in 125 rotax max class or simular, spares? depends what you break but theres not much to them, parts are fairly cheap too chassis will last years but you could get it re jigged every season if you wanted for less than £200, 25 hours between rebuilds at £300 a rebuild and you cant do it yourself as its a sealed unit. and if you did'nt mean money terms when you said afford then dont say afford, simple just say you dont want to race karts its easier.

how much was your car? you talk about the people you race with having low budgets but then say they have artic lorries! ooo00000 nitrogen in the tyres slow down space man your loosing me, i dont race karts/cars/bikes so i dont have an axe to grind im just stating the facts about karting

and you have a pm
Will you two get a room already?, this has to be the longest, drawn out foreplay session I have ever seen!!!!!! (and I've seen a few )
wanna cyber dan? threesome?
PM answered. You won't like it though.

I think I made it clear that I'm not interested in karts. The only reason karts exist is to give 8 year olds a stepping stone into proper cars. I'm sure it'll be pointed out that Senna called it "the purest form of motorsport", but then H2O is the purest form of water and it's not very nice to drink.

Edit, after Sam's post: Karting - The simpliest form of motorsport. Doesn't sound quite as impressive now...
I believe Senna's meaning was lost in translation. He meant "simplest". Pure and simple are often synonymous.
Great, now I've got Hear-say swimming round my head...pure and simple........

Damn you Sam
/me chortles

Here.. mop it up with this..

[ed] Grrr... hotlinking used to be so much easier

Flush with..
Quote from danowat :Great, now I've got Hear-say swimming round my head...pure and simple........

Damn you Sam

The Lightning Seeds did a better version (if it's the same song).
Quote from SamH :/me chortles

Here.. mop it up with this..

[ed] Grrr... hotlinking used to be so much easier

Flush with..

Arsecakes, I was hoping for some Mylene Klass pics

Quote from tristancliffe :The Lightning Seeds did a better version (if it's the same song).

Indeed they did, although the Hearsay one is more contempory (and much MUCH cheesier), that said, I think I might have to dig my Lightning seeds album out tonight for a blast while I am on the treadmill

p.s. hopefully I have thrown this thread far enough of topic
Yes. It you want cheese, Hearsay (or whatever crazy punctuation they put in their name) are the people to provide it.

Could be worse though. You could be humming "Barbie Girl"!!! I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG