The online racing simulator
Yep, not the new cars as a new car version, just updated shapes of cars, ie more polygons, just look at the back of the XRT, there are more polygons on a brick...
As we desperately need better interiors, i think exteriors are also very very dated now, some are ok, like XFG and XFR, BF1, and that's about it, XRT, RB4, UF1(especially UF1!), LX's, etc... they all look very very simple and dated, i really hope they will be poligonized till S2 final..
#52 - JTbo
I don't like to buy new computer 'again' just because LFS would look pretty, latest updates already made my fps to drop down a bit with big grids. Maybe if it would be optional like big skins, so that us with less interest in running bleeding edge could still enjoy brick like graphics and smooth fps.

Of course it is unavoidable to get new computer soon, mobo and cpu is only 4 years old and gfx card one year, in computer world they say that this machine is ancient relic already. I'm just waiting that quad core becomes more common and that software would utilize it better, then I could think of upgrading

Maybe this lazyness comes with age, but I certainly don't like to play with my hardware anymore, if it ain't broken don't fix it sounds really good, so I mainly play LFS as everything else is starting to require so much more that it won't run well.
Quote from JTbo :I don't like to buy new computer 'again' just because LFS would look pretty, latest updates already made my fps to drop down a bit with big grids.

Well, it's a two edged sword... while i enjoy playing in 60 fps with my ancient Radeon 9550 and Barton 2500+ and not giving any money for PC, i can't say that i wouldn't cough up as much as it takes to see better looking LFS (although even now it is the most real looking game out there IMO)...
I don't know, better graphics would surely be bad news for people with old computers and that sucks, but it just seems that with that kind of atitude we don't even want LFS to look better... ever..
Everyone is looking forward to new cockpits, but i bet there would be dozens of topics saying "bad FPS since Patch Y, i hate you Scawen" etc, etc.. you can't please people..
More 60s, 70s and 80s cars for me please.
#55 - JTbo
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well, it's a two edged sword... while i enjoy playing in 60 fps with my ancient Radeon 9550 and Barton 2500+ and not giving any money for PC, i can't say that i wouldn't cough up as much as it takes to see better looking LFS (although even now it is the most real looking game out there IMO)...
I don't know, better graphics would surely be bad news for people with old computers and that sucks, but it just seems that with that kind of atitude we don't even want LFS to look better... ever..
Everyone is looking forward to new cockpits, but i bet there would be dozens of topics saying "bad FPS since Patch Y, i hate you Scawen" etc, etc.. you can't please people..

True, that is why it would be perhaps good idea to leave old models there as an low detail car model option.
In year or so I don't think that I will have same rig anymore, but who knows, maybe I end up buying 3rd Volvo instead
Quote from JTbo :True, that is why it would be perhaps good idea to leave old models there as an low detail car model option.

Well, if Scawen menages to find a way to do that, it would be bloody brilliant, but i don't know if that is possible... Compatibility is the issue, as you know that any shape change in LFS is incompatible, so i don't know if that could work...
#57 - JTbo
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well, if Scawen menages to find a way to do that, it would be bloody brilliant, but i don't know if that is possible... Compatibility is the issue, as you know that any shape change in LFS is incompatible, so i don't know if that could work...

Wheels do have different detail models so similar way I would think

I would guess that there already is low detail car body that is used when car is further away and version with more detail is used when car is closer, similar thing again as with wheels.
I just cant wait til the day that we can import our own models into the game and play around with it that way. I have been waiting for the day that I get to throw in a few american made muscle cars or even a few mid 90s cars.

Until then I wait.
Quote :poligonized

Poligonized?
Love to see a Hybrid like a Prius in LFS
Just so I could drive it into the wall!
Hmmm... Newer cars being worse than the older models...
I dunno, I think it would be kind of cool to have late model versions of the cars we have now. Like when S-3 comes out, it's pretty much assured that we'll get some more new cars to play with. I don't see why some of them couldn't be later models of the ones we have now or EARLIER year models for that matter. I think that would be cool because it would give the game that much more consistency. It would give the modeled cars a realistic level that you just can't get from physics updates alone.

Oh and for the argument about old cars being better than the new ones... I think that all depends on what car - doesn't it?
'80s vettes were complete crap, now they ain't so bad. Anyone ever hear of the Mustang II? But then again compare any new nissan to the old datsun 240-Z and They'll get blown away. And WTF was Chrysler thinking when they made the new "charger"? or just as bad that Shelby 2+2 charger that was actually an econobox in muscled clothing back in the '80s.

But in all honesty, newer cars are getting to be a little on the crappy side
And all that computerized electronic junk that really isn't needed justs adds that much more to the maintenance costs of the vehicle.
LOL wouldn't it suck to have one of those car seats with a butt warmer in it and it go bad... during a long trip - in MID SUMMER?
it seems likem a good idea to me
Quote from Doug99 :Just so I could drive it into the wall!

You don't. The G-Wiz (an electric car from India that gets sold in the UK) would fail the crash tests for a car - but oh wait, because it is using a stupid technology, it is a quadricycle and doesn't have to be crash tested.

There's some issues with the electronics and jaws of life in the Prius IIRC as well, not forgetting the issue with blind people crossing the road not hearing them.

A minimum noise level for road cars would be one of the most important safety things done. And taking G-Wiz cars off the road.
Quote from duke_toaster :You don't. The G-Wiz (an electric car from India that gets sold in the UK) would fail the crash tests for a car - but oh wait, because it is using a stupid technology, it is a quadricycle and doesn't have to be crash tested.

There's some issues with the electronics and jaws of life in the Prius IIRC as well, not forgetting the issue with blind people crossing the road not hearing them.

A minimum noise level for road cars would be one of the most important safety things done. And taking G-Wiz cars off the road.

you don't have to buy one.

i've read a bit about it, and i like the idea of it pretty much.
Apparently it's Green Alternative Transport week over here next week.

So obviously I will be making a point of driving everywhere and revving it as high as I damn well like.
Quote from JTbo :Right, here is movie clip, at background you can see modern plastic car and other car at front area, which one you would like to get into LFS? Right, that is what I thought, let's forget those plastic shopping carts, shall we?

And right here is a movie clip with a couple of cars which are not brand new but definetly newer than 70s or even 80s years, if i am right.
The clip is called "Top Gear - Best Handling Car In The World" - that's why you cannot see american muscles there.

Result: not every modern car is your plastic shopping cart. There are still coming absolutely exciting cars today, beautiful, awesome to drive, fascinating in technology. They are just too expensive for me - the only thing I don't particularly love on them.

edit: I drive Audi 3.0 TDi multitronic, so I have no clue how fantastic the new sport cars really are, I just believe to what those who driven them say. As most of us I believe...
Quote from RAYfighter :There are still coming absolutely exciting cars today, beautiful, awesome to drive, fascinating in technology. They are just too expensive for me - the only thing I don't particularly love on them.

Very very very very very very very very very very very very few.
True. A few, rare, unique.
Quote from andybarsblade :http://www.digimods.co.uk/imag ... s/mitsubishilancerevo.jpg
http://www.scoobyphotos.eclips ... cial/22b/full/22b_953.jpg
PPPPLLLLLLLEEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEEEE!

Both candidates for the ugliest cars ever built.

As for all modern cars being rubbish, I beg to differ. Lotus have made some great cars, and generally speaking modern road cars offer better handling and performance than 80's cars. Sure they may not be as "involving" to drive but from any objective measure of car performance they are usually better than their 80s cousins. Take Hot Hatches for example 80s versions were lucky to break 8.5s 0-60 and top 125 mph, their modern equivilents can easily do sub 7 seconds and 140+ mph and they'll handle safely, (and brake safely from), over 100 mph which deffinitely can't be said for the 80s variants.

Yes they're heavier, yes they have less steering/brake feedback and yes they may have qualitively poorer throttle response but they are still faster, safer and handle better overall, (with the exception of a loss of turn in speed but that isn't necesarily a bad thing), than 20 year old designs.
So you'd rather go 0.3 second quicker on your way to Tescos/friends/car show, rather than get there with a HUGE grin on your face? I say driving pleasure should take priority over outright, measured ability in ANY car worth driving (i.e. not hatchbacks [except from the 80s!]). You might arrive a minute before me, but I'll have a story to tell every single time I get in the car.
I think that the FXO is probably the most modern looking car we have at the moment... although it doesn't look like a box on wheels, it handles like one
Quote from tristancliffe :You might arrive a minute before me, but I'll have a story to tell every single time I get in the car.

Sometimes you don't want a story though! Sometimes the other problem with something being interesting every time it's used is that quickly it becomes normal, and therefore not interesting but an irritation!
Quote from tristancliffe :So you'd rather go 0.3 second quicker on your way to Tescos/friends/car show, rather than get there with a HUGE grin on your face? I say driving pleasure should take priority over outright, measured ability in ANY car worth driving (i.e. not hatchbacks [except from the 80s!]). You might arrive a minute before me, but I'll have a story to tell every single time I get in the car.

Well to be honest if I'm just using the car to drive down to tescos/friends etc then I'm most likely not alone in the car and also the traffic on the road won't let me use any car's performance so I'd rather just have a comfortable, quiet, relaxing drive.

If on the other hand I wanted to go for a bit of a blast purely for the driving enjoyment then I'd rather have an unpractical sports coupe/roadster such as the Lotus Elise etc

Given that I can't afford two cars, and the car I must have needs to be reliable, that requirement in itself will preclude any car over 10 years old let alone over 20 years old, irrespective of how good it was "in its day", (supercars not included as even now they are way out of my budget).

So whilst I agree with you about enjoyment, in practice the choice isn't that easy. Especially as any surviving 80s car is pretty much a bucket of bolts now and will drive like crap. Jeez early 90s cars are bad enough !
This is why I like the MX-5. Practical if, like me, you only have one friend. Comfy and reasonably refined at normal road speeds. Easy to drive slowly in traffic. Not especially noisy. Waterproof (mostly!). Very very reliable. But when you want to turn the wick up a bit, or a lot if you're mad, then it can deliver and quite happily run with some theoretically quicker cars yet remain completely standard.

If the MK3 wasn't such a big joke I'd consider a modern one, which is even more refined, but sadly they've killed the MX-5. A Mk2.5 gets rid of the only real major worry - the pop-up headlight (which I like) motors.

Not so good if you do your shopping on a monthly basis, rather than weekly, and rubbish if you have a large family or a dog. Fortunately, I have neither

A late proper MR2 (before they took everything out including 90% of the power) is similar, but not quite as good on the twisties!

And I am biased, as having tried RWD I never ever want to go back. Unless the alternative is a BMW.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG