iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Shotglass :and judging by the car and track selection the iracing site offers so far they arent out to compete against any of the current sims either

What do you actually mean by that? By competing against current sims? Isn't it direct competition if you release a sim that claims to be the best. The cars and tracks will obviously be different than in other sims. Just because it doesn't have Aston, GTR Viper or Lotus 49 doesn't mean it can't compete .
what i mean by that is that judging by the car selection it mostly aims at the segment nr2k3 sits in and its probably not a bad choice considering how much americans are willing to pay for a 5 year old sim on ebay
but its not exactly the kind of racing most lfs and nkp players give 2 shits about
Quote from Shotglass :what i mean by that is that judging by the car selection it mostly aims at the segment nr2k3 sits in and its probably not a bad choice considering how much americans are willing to pay for a 5 year old sim on ebay
but its not exactly the kind of racing most lfs and nkp players give 2 shits about

Have you seen the tracks they are offering or few of the cars? Watkins glen, Infineon, Virginia International, Laguna Seca - try any of these in rfactor and you can help loving them. They are just the kind of tracks I could pay to see in LFS. The cars selection seems a bit small atm but there are already few interesting cars that have almost nothing to with ovals.

And to be fair, if you want to race nascar you have to do it in nascar2003. Just because people are willing to pay large amounts of money doesn't mean that they are stupid. Oval racing is big in America and Nascar is teh biggest oval racing series (?) so I don't think it is strange that americans want to race ovals on their computers and are willing to pay for it.
The tracks are a big incentive for me too, but, the Radical is the only car that has sparked any interest so far (even though it has those silly wing things) Although those 1930's things look fun-ish.

The thing that concerns me is the online racing. If you have to pay extra for the tracks and cars you want, won't that resemble the modding problems of GPL and Rtractor ? i.e you'll be depending on lots of other racers to have exactly the same combo as yourself, and hope that they'll be online at the same time so you can have a decent race. Or are you gonna have to get used to racing against only two or three other guys who just happen to have bought the same combo as you ?. Or, are you (in a sense) gonna be restricted to joining a league or team just so you can have a decent online experience ?

As you say Hyper, it's all too early to say how this thing is gonna work out, but something tells me not to jump in with both feet at the launch date. I think after a few months they'll have to drop the initial pricing structure to lure in the hardcore masses so the promise of decent online racing with reasonable amounts of racers can be fulfilled.
From way how they present their product it seems to be directed towards RL racers that have no sim experience, ie. to rob their money.

Even they did claim it is not modded N2003 engine, I find it very difficult to believe, at least graphics engine seem to be very much alike, what proof there is that rest is any different?

For me it seems to be another case of good bullshit and crap product, but can't say that for sure without testing, which I'm not going to pay.
Quote from Hyperactive :And to be fair, if you want to race nascar you have to do it in nascar2003. Just because people are willing to pay large amounts of money doesn't mean that they are stupid. Oval racing is big in America and Nascar is teh biggest oval racing series (?) so I don't think it is strange that americans want to race ovals on their computers and are willing to pay for it.

dont go around putting words in my mouth when im merely point out facts
all i said was that nr2k3 is still extremely popular that iracing apparently aims into the same niche which is us racing and that theyd be stupid not to as theres obviously a lot of money in there

truth is the only european car in there so far is the radical and coincidentially its the only one i care about
no excuse me while i wont get excited about driving cars that weight more than a decent sized lorry
Teh carlist from the siteh:
Late Model - A nascar oval racer
Legends Ford '34 Coupe - light and nimble racer, kinda like an american caterham. Runs on mixed circuits and are sold in europe as well.
Radical Sports Cars - kinda like lighweight prototype
SK Modified - 400hp/1200kg. Not a truck although an oval racer yes
Skip Barber 2000 - imho as interesting as fbm
XV8R SuperSaloon - XRR with 900hp (or how much it was)? Deffo not an oval racer

Sure there are oval cars and tracks but there are road tracks and cars as well. Tbh, did you expect a racing sim from US that didn't involve any oval racing? Oval racing is big in US and it would be stupid from iracing to leave that part of the market outside from it's sim. There is the money, like you said.

Just because oval racing is part of iracing's scheme of things it doesn't mean that iracing are oval focused. Surely the iracing wants oval racers as well but if you watched the latest SRT it was said that Dael Eanrharpt (sp, damn english names ) will move from N2k3 to the Arca sim. I don't know why he would move to another sim when the iracing sim that he has been beta testing is going to be launched within next 6 months? Wasn't he beta testing the Arca sim too? Surely he knows something why he "picked Arca over iracing". Could it suggest that iracing is not going to offer nascar oval racing in such magnitude that oval racers might still use different product? Hence the nr2k3 centered theory phails.

And if you read the iracing site news the oval racing gets surprizingly little attention...
Quote from Hyperactive :Teh carlist from the siteh:
Late Model - A nascar oval racer

meh

Quote :Legends Ford '34 Coupe - light and nimble racer, kinda like an american caterham. Runs on mixed circuits and are sold in europe as well.

since it was only shown on ovals in teh screenshots i must admit i assumed it was an oval truck but even if it isnt something inside me refuses to like these things solely based on how they look

Quote :Radical Sports Cars - kinda like lighweight prototype

now theres a car id love to see in lfs

Quote :SK Modified - 400hp/1200kg. Not a truck although an oval racer yes

meh ^^

Quote :Skip Barber 2000 - imho as interesting as fbm

i dunno it looks very underengineerd and like it rolls a lot
might be a hoot to drive but certainly isnt anywhere near an fbm in tech quality

Quote :XV8R SuperSaloon - XRR with 900hp (or how much it was)? Deffo not an oval racer

kind of like an australian touring car right? might be nice but im not a big fan of that kind of racing

Quote :Sure there are oval cars and tracks but there are road tracks and cars as well.

i didnt mean to imply that it only has oval cars but theres something distinctly american about almost all the cars including the british v8

Quote :And if you read the iracing site news the oval racing gets surprizingly little attention...

dunno maybe they expect that bit to sell without drawing much attention to it
I wonder why they don't yet have a forum on their site?

Paying a subscription in my opinion will get them nowhere when their competition lets you race for, well lets face it, basically nothing after you've bought the Sim.

Good luck to them and no doubt I will give it a try, but it will need to be the complete dogs bollocks for me to pay a subscription for it
Quote from Horseman :Anyway, the argument is: finally someone will start charging a fair amount for an activity most of us (simracers) got used to have as nearly free, and indirectly and in the long run, all simracing products will benefit from this correction in cost.

Too late maybe... most of us are sussed to the hype of games producers and are very unlikely to pay rent to someone for a service that already exists elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned they missed the boat. Maybe they'll attract some dollars from someone who fancies themselves as the new Ted Christopher ("equally comfortable at t ... or in a corporate setting"), but I and many others will be waiting for the content to develop out of its current niche.

Quote from Hyperactive :Have you seen the tracks they are offering or few of the cars? Watkins glen, Infineon, Virginia International, Laguna Seca -

No, and nor has anyone else to my knowledge. The key word here is 'offering'. Far as I can see the tracks you name (and a vast number of others listed on the site) are vapourware at the moment. This is another disincentive for me to even consider iRacing for a few years yet.

Quote from Mazz4200 :the Radical is the only car that has sparked any interest so far

Vapourware too, as far as I can see...
nihil since when does Dave Kaemmer and his Team have anything to do with vapourware?

Ever heard of "Indy 500" - the first ever Racing Simulation, "Indycar Racing", "NASCAR Racing" - the best selling Racing Simulation ever, "Indycar2", "NASCAR 2", "Grand Prix Legends", "NASCAR Racing 1999", "NASCAR Racing 3", "NASCAR Racing 4", "NASCAR Racing 2002", "NASCAR Racing 2003"?
Quote from George Kuyumji :nihil since when does Dave Kaemmer and his Team have anything to do with vapourware?

Until now? Never... But they are announcing a pricing structure for something I haven't even seen pictures of yet. I'm waiting to be corrected on this, but as it stands the only tracks so far completed seem to be Virginia International, Stafford Motor Speedway, and Lime Rock Park.

So in four years, four tracks exist (Silverstone seems to still be in development).

All I'm saying is that if you're one those that's revved up about the eighteen road tracks that are listed on the site, calm down... Its going to be a long time til you get to push that Radical through Hurry Downs and into the Carousel....

EDIT:

Actually, I take some of that back, since there is evidence of a couple of other tracks: Daytona and Irwindale. But my basic point was really that I'm not keen on paying Dave K's wages while he's busy scanning in the rest of the proposed content.
Whilst is OK to be pessimistic, it is just utterly ridiculous to proclaim that anything you haven't seen is vapour ware.
No one knows what tracks are completed by now and which ones are not. We'll just have to wait and see, but it will come 100 %, just like there previous 7 Sims
I would rather give my $19 x 36 months to the Devs and LFS. Only the insane would offer to spend that much on a "game/sim".

OK - but its real cars and real tracks. Ill stick with GTL till LFS moves up a gear.
Quote from PLAYLIFE :Whilst is OK to be pessimistic, it is just utterly ridiculous to proclaim that anything you haven't seen is vapour ware.

OK, maybe our definitions are different - I use the term to describe something announced as available, but which subsequently fails to appear... Not ridiculous in this instance, but perhaps a harsh verdict on my part, I admit.

Hey, shoot me, I'm a bitch. But come on, Mr Kaemmer, at least show us some pictures.... I'm a consumer, and consumers buy stuff, things, products. We don't pay through the nose for promises, and we don't like paying tithes.

The process of creating these tracks seems very labour intensive and in that respect is very different from his other titles. Its not unreasonable to ask if a) is it actually going to be so fundamentally different to anything else that it will be worth paying up front with so little information on which to base a judgement, and b) will there actually be enough people attracted to this venture to fund work on tracks that are yet to be completed
when you go to the front page... it is funny how the side-by-side comparison shows similarity between track and car... however, the colors are completely different. brownish real life vs colorfully green game. Almost as if its like Sao Paulo circuit, where they used to color the grass to be bright green instead of the color it really was...
Quote from PLAYLIFE :when you go to the front page... it is funny how the side-by-side comparison shows similarity between track and car... however, the colors are completely different. brownish real life vs colorfully green game. Almost as if its like Sao Paulo circuit, where they used to color the grass to be bright green instead of the color it really was...

Uhhh, small onboard cameras are usually very heavily saturated, and the weather at that track is mostly overcast. The purpose of that video is to show the accuracy of the track, not the color
Quote from PLAYLIFE :brownish real life vs colorfully green game

I don't know what's in the air in Estonia man, but around here things aren't brownish in real life.
Oh please, everybody knows real life is brown and has bloom.
Quote from AndroidXP :Oh please, everybody knows real life is brown and has bloom.

More bloom, MORE
Quote from JTbo :More bloom, MORE

For anyone that looks out the window and sees bloom, please stop by your optometrist and get some glasses.

Quote from Mattesa :For anyone that looks out the window and sees bloom, please stop by your optometrist and get some glasses.

+1
When's the release planned for anyway? Any mention of that?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG