The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from srdsprinter :In closing, I never said anything about the fun of driving, merely I already have an incredibly entertaining sim that has set the benchmark for physics realism, online racing, and (apparently) untouchable value for the money.

You misunderstood my post.

As with this post again about the cars, you say there is no appeal... sure, they have no appeal to me either. Neither did Nascar 2003... I don't like Nascar. But my point was that even if I didn't like the cars, the driving in the game was still enjoyable, and felt really nice. So I don't care if I am driving a Solstice or a Legends car, I just know that in Papy sims any car will be challenging and have all the proper feel a simulation should have.

Of course you want some cool looking cars in the game, who doesn't. Accurate tracks is a plus. But no matter what car you have, or how bland the track is, I still think Papy sims get it right with their physics... and their software has evolved a long way. GPL was nice back then, but as I go back and play it some more, it still feels so floaty and has strange grip -- still fun to drive. Their Nascar series was just a few steps better. I don't see how iRacing would have such a low appeal to you guys in terms of physics, tracks, cars, graphics, etc. But I do agree on their heavy pricing, which is widely unacceptable in this thread. It's the only drawback IMO.
Quote from Hyperactive :The iracing has not yet said what cars and tracks are included in the base product. I'd be saddened if the car selection really was what you just described and for a 100€ per year it would be quite awful. After all it is a full product and as such it should have enough content without relying purely on paid addons. After all, it is not a demo what you are (not ) buying, or so I'd like to see it... I'd guess it has more tracks than LFS but less cars but that is just a guess...

@dustin. A sim. SIM, not anal trashing (I hope).

You get the anal thrashing instead of the blowjob every morning, when you go to your bank statement and go "OMG, I GOT RAPED!"
Quote from dawesdust_12 :You get the anal thrashing instead of the blowjob every morning, when you go to your bank statement and go "OMG, I GOT RAPED!"

Why does spanky get blowjob and I just get my arse shredded?
Becuase Spanky paid for only 1 month, and you paid for a year?

:hide:
Quote from DeadWolfBones :The thing is that subscription games like WoW work because the entirety of the game is in the online experience. Racing sims are somewhat like that, but in the end, you can always have a trackday on your own. If the content you've paid for in a racing sim no longer works when you've stopped subscribing, I can't see many people biting.

Who says you can have a track day on your own? I predict iracing is going to attemt to make simracing more realistic by limiting track time. And then they're are going to have whopping prizes like chances for sponsored RL racing seats.

I can't really see the business model working but it should be obvious that for the prices they're asking they don't intending to merely offer something that you can more or less get from any other sim.

For me it's the physics I'm mostly interested in and if they're similar to the old papyrus games then that's not good enough. And the video's not very promising at all. I don't even know why they did the splitscreen as the sim car looks nowhere near as alive as the real car.
Quote from Tweaker :You misunderstood my post.

Sorry for misunderestimating you.

I understand where you are coming from now.

Just for me, if the cars don't envoke some emotion from me I'll never be drawn to the product, no matter how good it is.

The LX cars really brought me into LFS, as that was (and somewhat still is) my dream car. Now the reason I'm still here is the incredible racing simulation and comradery.

If we were all forced to be racing New Beetles and Skip Barber Formula cars then I wouldn't...

Different strokes for different folks i guess.

If they had some caterhams, F3000s, Lotus, and hill climbs as standard, then i'd be at least interested, if not still totally turned off by the pricing.
Quote from J.B. :I predict iracing is going to attemt to make simracing more realistic by limiting track time.

what a great business model ... pay more play less
On the surface it seems bad value, but it depends on the quality of the final game. Like WoW the game itself could be so good that the investment becomes worth it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
-
(RMachucaA) DELETED by RMachucaA
Well, I take simracing seriously, but am I gonna pay an extortionate amount of money to drive a sim, where I can get one that offers me equal or more enjoyment for less? I think the answer to that is pretty clear, and is why only the rich, and the retarded will end up paying.
Quote from RMachucaA :Also, all the people screaming "bloody murder!" are the ones that arent prepared to pay for the experience, granted that experience better be damn good for the money, which judging by papy's previous releases, will be worth it.

I would be more than willing to pay $150 for iRacing (after all, that's only about £5 :razz. The amount of money is not the issue for me.

The lack of a free demo and the subscription payments are what kill it for me and ensure that I will never buy it. When I pay for something, I expect to keep it. I don't want to rent a racing game from them, I want to buy one.
Quote from StewartFisher :...I don't want to rent a racing game from them, I want to buy one.

That may come in its time, but you may have to add a zero somewhere in the equation it seems
Is this aimed at RL racers or something? Because, even if the tracks are perfect and the physics are light years ahead of anything else, who is going to pay that amount of money per year for what seems to be 4 cars and 5 tracks?
Quote from TiJay :Is this aimed at RL racers or something? Because, even if the tracks are perfect and the physics are light years ahead of anything else, who is going to pay that amount of money per year for what seems to be 4 cars and 5 tracks?

yes it is and quite a few people on other forums have already stated they will be purchasing this.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Well, I take simracing seriously, but am I gonna pay an extortionate amount of money to drive a sim, where I can get one that offers me equal or more enjoyment for less? I think the answer to that is pretty clear, and is why only the rich, and the retarded will end up paying.

Well, obviously if that's true, then it's a no brainer as you say. But that still remains to be seen. It's futile to even talk about it really until we have a better idea of exactly what it is they are marketing to us.

It's obviously not meant to cater to the masses, and that could in fact bode very well for it, we'll just have to wait and see. But I do doubt that they'd invest millions of dollars to make something just like GTR, or N2003 for that matter. I think it's clear that it's going to be better than any other mass-marketed product - it's just a question of exactly how much better.
Quote from Hyperactive :And I think 10-20€ per track is reasonable, just like it would be for LFS as well: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=15859.

Nice find! These "OMG?!?!?!? I HAVE TO PAY FOR CONTENT?!?!?!?" posts now officially owned.

I have never subcribed to games and I don't like the idea. Not because it pricy but because then there will be this "I have to play it too" element. I was honestly expecing the worst, that it would be completely out of casual gamer's budget.

Most interesting thing about this is they announced pricing before actually announcing what the product is.

If there's not going to be any kind of free trial or demo, I don't understand how they are seriously expecting so many people to buy a pig in a poke. Not giving a couple of weeks free trial is a just amazingly stupid business wise, for example MMO games like WWII Online have had often 1-2 week free trials and bet they got more customers that way than just forcing people to do "buy and try".

And if it's the Groundbreaking Next Jesus Sim™, why they would not want to give a free taste first? If it's so super-amazing, not many could resist it. If you a give lollipop to a child, he wants more. Doesn't really require 150 IQ to guess why so often bad games has no demo...

And finally, did everyone miss the part where it says you get "iRacing credit" inside the game? Annual subscription gives you $60 credit and "some may want to progress more slowly, using mainly their free iRacing dollars to collect content over time". Of course it's another thing how that works... play it winning races 10 hours / week for 2 years and you just might have enough credit to get a new track?

Quote from tristancliffe :Awful graphics (lots of detail, but even more cartoony that CartoonFactor).

Quote from Gil07 :Graphics look awful so far, cars are very much like toys...

I'd LOL at these. You might want to wait until LFS looks like a combination of Gran Turimos 5's car models with Crysis' scenery. Oh right, I just forgot that LFS can look not-so-advanced but other games can't.

Actually, that looks pretty much like LFS. No bloom or any other artificial effects, simple graphics with sharp textures.
This was posted at RSC:

Quote :Let me answer a few of the questions I've seen asked here.

Purchasing a track gets you that track and all of it's available configurations. You don't pay extra for the configurations.

You only pay for the track when you purchase it, there are no additional fees for that track, and it's updates.

If you cancel your subscription and return later, you will still have any additional content you had previously purchased.

Jay Taylor, iRacing

Didn't really clear up much things... still lots of questions with no answers.
Quote from deggis :I'd LOL at these. You might want to wait until LFS looks like a combination of Gran Turimos 5's car models with Crysis' scenery. Oh right, I just forgot that LFS can look not-so-advanced but other games can't.

Actually, that looks pretty much like LFS. No bloom or any other artificial effects, simple graphics with sharp textures.

But awful colours, and no sense of life. Whilst LFS could benefit from the restrained use of some bling in some areas at some times, I hope it doesn't look overly done, like GT5, or as bad as any ISI game. Crysis, being mostly good looking in jungle areas as far as I can tell, isn't really a fair comparison, but when/if LFS gets to DX9 or 10 (no point for 10 really) then maybe it'll get those little boosts.

Unfortunately, until LFS looks fake it'll be considered as having crap graphics.
Quote from deggis :I'd LOL at these. You might want to wait until LFS looks like a combination of Gran Turimos 5's car models with Crysis' scenery. Oh right, I just forgot that LFS can look not-so-advanced but other games can't.

I agree.

Fancy DX9 effects don't do wonders in sims. However I wouldn't mind extra special effects, and more detail to the cars overall. The tracks look quite alright though.
This is expensive.

No way I'll try this without a demo, I can buy a S1 licence for that price.. 0.o

Who's talking about LFS

I don't like the look of the cars in those screenshots, very toy-ish. Cars in LFS look better IMO. Nothing in the league of GT5's cars of course. The tracks don't look that bad from what I've seen
Quote from tristancliffe :But awful colours, and no sense of life.

I can understand where you're coming from, you're just not used to having sunny weather in UK so obviously it looks weird.

I admit the cars look somehow quite bad actually, especially that Skip Barber which is not exactly the most beautiful single-seater in the world anyway. And textures are somehow greyish.

Here are the other screens released previously (other than the 100px sized screenshots on the website here and there):

The two first ones might be much older though.

Quote :Whilst LFS could benefit from the restrained use of some bling in some areas at some times, I hope it doesn't look overly done, like GT5, or as bad as any ISI game. Crysis, being mostly good looking in jungle areas as far as I can tell, isn't really a fair comparison, but when/if LFS gets to DX9 or 10 (no point for 10 really) then maybe it'll get those little boosts.

Unfortunately, until LFS looks fake it'll be considered as having crap graphics.

I was only talking about GT5's car models which is the only next-gen area in that game.

My point was just to say it's so funny, two-faced and absurd when LFS players always complain other games looking crap while LFS isn't really the most amazing looking game either. (Most amazing != bloom shit)
Can't speak for everyone, but I've played all of the currently available sims, and I have to say that LFS does have the best overall graphical package for my tastes.
I think I'm their intended market...
Their track list has all the better road couses within a days drive of home.

The price will have to come down a bit before I'll bite. I see half a dozen tracks and a couple cars I'm interested in.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG