The online racing simulator
The "DEATH GRIP"
(126 posts, started )
When I went Go-Karting last month I suffered from this, after the first 40 odd second lap my arms were knackered! Thankfully last time I went a couple of weeks ago I learnt to relax and lasted my 45 minutes far better!

When I'm playing LFS I barely touch the steering wheel, don't have force feedback unfortunately but I just use my finger tips practically, especially through technical high speed corners such as the last corner on blackwood!
I have a DFP and im not in trouble i like to not demolish my armes

neither i like to demolish my wheel
Quote from danowat :Am I the only one who grips their wheel so hard it makes their arms and neck hurt the next morning?

Yep, I'm guilty of that. I have a rubber mat under my wheel to stop me pulling it off the desk!
I come away from league races exhausted
Quote from Doorman :Tight arsed Scotsman? Can't be right.

Meh :P

---

I don`t really grip the wheel that hard even with pretty large profiler and in-game forces, but I do find I get a nasty pain behind my right shoulder blade after a decent amount of time on the track. Dunno if it`s more to do with the way I sit, drive, or just catching a draught from the window next to me in combination with the above.
#55 - JTbo
But what you guys do to keep your pedals (mainly G25) on place?
I'm having bit hard time with them sliding away as I'm using three pedals.
I`ve got quite a cheap, worn carpet and the gripper strip works fantastically, It never moves no matter what I do to the pedals
I also got a carpet so they don't move that fast. IF they do I just put them back in position with my left foot on the straights.
I put a block of wood (hand made) inbetween the back of my pedals and my desk, works perfectly, in stopping them from sliding, almost under it.
Í think you stopped doing that because you are more relaxed and controlled now. People who just start their real live driving lessons drive like that.

Only thing that bothers me is my pulse thats sometimes hurts during races (rsi comes up sometimes )
Quote from JTbo :But what you guys do to keep your pedals (mainly G25) on place?

The G25 (as well as the DFP and the Black MOMO IIRC) have a carpet grip built into them, if it's released then chances are they won't move (much) on carpeted surfaces. On hardwood or other non-carpet floors just putting a block of wood behind the pedals against the wall helps. Make sure you leave somewhere for the cord to go, though, so it doesn't get damaged.
I grip the wheel harder the more out of control i feel of what i'm driving. Driving the UF1 i hardly grip at all, but driving the MRT i'm gripping onto it for dear life.
Oh, and does anyone else lean their head into corners whilst LFSing??
#62 - JTbo
Quote from MAGGOT :The G25 (as well as the DFP and the Black MOMO IIRC) have a carpet grip built into them, if it's released then chances are they won't move (much) on carpeted surfaces. On hardwood or other non-carpet floors just putting a block of wood behind the pedals against the wall helps. Make sure you leave somewhere for the cord to go, though, so it doesn't get damaged.

Only trouble is that wall is 1m away from pedals, but also pedals are completely other side of table so hard to do such fixes in this setup :P

Also no carpets here, I don't like them

Maybe time to get grip of myself and start planning that racing frame them
#63 - CSU1
...my cheap-ass flat-pack pc desk done a 180 on me

ffb FTW!

To the op and the way your arms/neck hurt the next day, thats dangerous mate, bad ergonomic setup means one day you'll look like a fish

. in the weeks previous to the purchase of my first wheel i sorted out exactly what the measurements were(based on a 02 Almera)...
Quote from JTbo :Only trouble is that wall is 1m away from pedals, but also pedals are completely other side of table so hard to do such fixes in this setup

I would make a thin (but sturdy) frame 1m*40cm from wood to put between the pedals and the wall. Some sturdy cardboad of same size would do fine or two nails straight into the floor (but you might regret those in a few years)

My race related injuries are severe muscle pains in the lower back (for when I set the ffb on full to enjoy a nice workout).
Jaw and teeth pains form hard biting (maybe I should get a mouthpiece like I saw Mattias Ekström has in the DTM races)
I also get aind in my left leg from hoovering above the clutch (or break pedal when driving lfb)
Quote from JTbo :Also no carpets here, I don't like them

Do they sell SuperGlue in Finland ?
#66 - JTbo
Quote from Mazz4200 :Do they sell SuperGlue in Finland ?

We have Hyperglue, it is made from sweat of Hyper, very quick LFS racer, but problem is he is tad too quick so hard to make him sweat and glue is bit rare because of that

I think I go to hard way and build some kind of frame as I have quite some of stuff needed, just building itself required and bit of tube
I'd suggest using aluminium tubing if you can get it, it's not as expensive as many people think (well, not in the UK anyway) and theres a magic little welding kit type thing that only needs an ordinary blow torch to make it work. It's a damn site easier than having to hire an Arc welding kit from your local tool shop. And aluminium won't do half as much damage to your highly polished laminate flooring as half a hundred weight of compressed steel would
#68 - JTbo
Quote from Mazz4200 :I'd suggest using aluminium tubing if you can get it, it's not as expensive as many people think (well, not in the UK anyway) and theres a magic little welding kit type thing that only needs an ordinary blow torch to make it work. It's a damn site easier than having to hire an Arc welding kit from your local tool shop. And aluminium won't do half as much damage to your highly polished laminate flooring as half a hundred weight of compressed steel would

Well I have quite good supply of stainless steel tubing, free directly from factory, but that would require quite some welding so it could be that I look another solution, or then I could ask if those guys from factory could hack something together
Well you don't have to weld or glue it - you can use boltable L or T joints as well. If that fails then just go for smokable joints and you won't care much where the pedals are... it's all good... yeah...
#70 - CSU1
Quote from xaotik :Well you don't have to weld or glue it - you can use boltable L or T joints as well. If that fails then just go for smokable joints and you won't care much where the pedals are... it's all good... yeah...

Drugs r' baaaaaad, mkay?
Quote from JTbo :Well I have quite good supply of stainless steel tubing, free directly from factory, but that would require quite some welding so it could be that I look another solution, or then I could ask if those guys from factory could hack something together

If you're using stainless steel then you'd need a MIG welder and a fire extinguisher, it's a dead cert that you'll set fire to the sofa with all the sparks it'll make .

You could bolt it as Xaotic said, but i doubt you'll get the structural rigidity you'd need, it would start rattling like a 2CV on the Corsican rally within a couple of hours. (then again you do drive an old Volvo so you might like it )

Or you could just use the cash and buy a load of drugs like our Irish friend suggests, even Super Mario Kart will feel like LFS then.

I don't know if you were being serious about making this thing or just being polite but here's some plans for a cockpit which should give you some idea's of the dimensions and build.
Attached images
dimensions.gif
Quote from Mazz4200 :You could bolt it as Xaotic said, but i doubt you'll get the structural rigidity you'd need, it would start rattling like a 2CV on the Corsican rally within a couple of hours.

You think so? Hmmm... I've made some rather strong structures with that form of metallic LEGO in the past - including the frame that holds our grapevines at the farm. And the later has to hold about 50 grapevines plus sustain high velocity winds pretty often - vibrations on it are quite impressive when it resonates (ofcourse it's cemented in the ground as well). No problem with bolts coming loose. If anything you can use a medium grade Loctite thread locker on the bolts.
Quote from xaotik :You think so? Hmmm... I've made some rather strong structures with that form of metallic LEGO in the past - including the frame that holds our grapevines at the farm. And the later has to hold about 50 grapevines plus sustain high velocity winds pretty often - vibrations on it are quite impressive when it resonates (ofcourse it's cemented in the ground as well). No problem with bolts coming loose. If anything you can use a medium grade Loctite thread locker on the bolts.

Meccano ?

I dunno, is a grapevine heavy ?

You've got to remember JTbo is one of those looney Fins who think driving through a forest sideways at 327mph is normal everyday driving. And from my experience of constantly lifting my computer table clean off the floor every time i go through the SO chicane, you'd be surprised how much extra force you're putting into the wheel and chair. I've had a bit of experience of sitting in things and working on things (scaffolding) that were bolted together and they do get rattly really quickly, not dangerously so, but it can get a bit unnerving.

But yeah, i'll accept it can be bolted, and it's probably the quickest and cheapest solution.

I'll even spell your name right this time too Xaotik
Quote from Mazz4200 :Meccano ?

I dunno, is a grapevine heavy ?

Nah - galvanized pipes and heavy duty industrial T joints with bolts.

50 grapevines at their current age + the grapes they can produce weigh >500 kilos. Add to that the occurance of winds up to 8-9 on the Beaufort scale. You can actually see the whole structure bending with each gust - it's quite impressive.

Quote :You've got to remember JTbo is one of those looney Fins who think driving through a forest sideways at 327mph is normal everyday driving. And from my experience of constantly lifting my computer table clean off the floor every time i go through the SO chicane, you'd be surprised how much extra force you're putting into the wheel and chair.

Well, I got my desk bolted to the wall - it's actually a big shelf I made myself out of two MDF sheets and industrial grade shelf supports (as barely seen here). Sadly my Logitech EX doesn't output much force really even at 150%, and as I mentioned earlier I don't put up much of a fight with it.

Quote :I'll even spell your name right this time too Xaotik

Wait til one day you see my real name. :P
Quote from JTbo :But what you guys do to keep your pedals (mainly G25) on place?

So HL2 was worth it's price in the end, I guess.

Overrated FPS but a good G25 pedal stopper
Attached images
DSC00427.JPG

The "DEATH GRIP"
(126 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG