The online racing simulator
The "DEATH GRIP"
(126 posts, started )
Quote from mantis9 :One thing I cant stop doing and have done since the start, is tilting my head to the side. No matter how hard I try, my head very slowly tilts over to the right and down slightly throughout the race.
By the end of the race Im looking at the screen from a very weird angle, then I realise and straighten up. Anyone else do that?

I will do that but to the left. I don't have the 'death grip' problem though, but the grips on the wheel are getting not as grippy as they were 2 years ago.
Quote from Dajmin :I've never noticed it in my arms, but I do sometimes end up clenching my butt so much it aches

Tight arsed Scotsman? Can't be right.
The red bits on my old wingman wheel did melt a bit. The same happened with the blue leather bits in my Fiesta Zetec S though as well, possibly due to death grippage.
I grip so hard becuase it feels like my steering wheel fights back but my settings out of the game are at 100%.
I don't have a grip problem, but by the end of a race I am sweating horribly.
Quote from AndroidXP :Hahaha, I usually have to consciously relax my right leg from time to time, or becomes all tensed up

+1

No problems with the arms but with the legs.
Quote from mantis9 :
One thing I cant stop doing and have done since the start, is tilting my head to the side. No matter how hard I try, my head very slowly tilts over to the right and down slightly throughout the race.
By the end of the race Im looking at the screen from a very weird angle, then I realise and straighten up. Anyone else do that?

:ices_rofl, cannot believe it, I do the same, even last weekend I did realize while driving the XRT, I was holding the wheel with the right hand and the side of my desk (L-shape desk on a corner) with my left hand and my wife was almost breathless laughing when saw me driving that way. I don't do it anymore since then, well, I think so
Quote from frokki : Had to wear underwear only in league races.

Damn you, stealing my STCC weight saving technique!
Quote from mantis9 :One thing I cant stop doing and have done since the start, is tilting my head to the side. No matter how hard I try, my head very slowly tilts over to the right and down slightly throughout the race.

Quite strange. I'm assuming I'm understanding you correctly that you are only leaning to one side further and further throughout a race and not "leaning into the turn". Because I don't do what you describe, but if I'm really into a race, I find myself leaning into the direction of the turn.
Quote from mantis9 :I used to do that, and then one day I moved the desk I was pulling so hard. So now, I dont clamp the wheel onto the desk as hard, it forces me to be gentle with it otherwise I pull it of the desk!

One thing I cant stop doing and have done since the start, is tilting my head to the side. No matter how hard I try, my head very slowly tilts over to the right and down slightly throughout the race.

Only noticed this from Mr Odgers' post above.

It sounds like some sort of brain thing going on and how it assimilates the information it's receiving through your eyes. If its happening subconsciously, it may mean that thats what your brain needs to do in order to fully concentrate, which is pretty odd (you wern't dropped on your head as a child were you ? :tilt or it may mean you just need to go get a sight test . Then again there's a fair chance i'm talking complete bollocks, so i wouldn't worry about it too much.

And as to leaning into the corners, i catch myself doing that in the local supermarket all the time, hope to god i don't make car noises too
Quote from mrodgers :Quite strange. I'm assuming I'm understanding you correctly that you are only leaning to one side further and further throughout a race and not "leaning into the turn". Because I don't do what you describe, but if I'm really into a race, I find myself leaning into the direction of the turn.

exactly that, Ive tested on tracks with predominantly left hand turns to see if I lean the other way, but no, always to the right.
The way I imagine it, if I was concentrating any harder my jaw would slack open and Id start drooling, theres a nice mental image for you
Quote from Mazz4200 :...
It sounds like some sort of brain thing going on and how it assimilates the information it's receiving through your eyes. If its happening subconsciously, it may mean that thats what your brain needs to do in order to fully concentrate, which is pretty odd (you wern't dropped on your head as a child were you ? :tilt or it may mean you just need to go get a sight test . Then again there's a fair chance i'm talking complete bollocks, so i wouldn't worry about it too much...

Makes total sense, I wear glasses, and have been meaning to go for an eye test for months now. The glasses Im wearing are probably 4 years old, Ive lost or broken all the pairs Ive bought since.
And one eye is stronger than the other, cant remember which one now.
Ill get new glasses in the new year and report back
When i first started out i was a mouser, i used to keep my wrist so stiff I'd have to take breaks to rotate and massage my wrist muscles. When i first got my wheel i was a little stiff but now i am extremely calm. Especially in endurance races where i just settle down into my own little world almost
Quote from danowat :

I need to try and relax LOL

Maybe try listening to recordings of Whale sounds and Enya while you race....

Moby Dick and Enya should do a Christmas Album imo
I go with 100 in the Logitech setup, and 100 in the game. I`m used to hard work, so it is really no problem for me

My back, hurts the most, after a long game of Lfs, but my arms and shoulders could keep on for weeks
Did anyone else almost die reading this thread? (From laughing so hard)

Quote from mantis9 :exactly that, Ive tested on tracks with predominantly left hand turns to see if I lean the other way, but no, always to the right.
The way I imagine it, if I was concentrating any harder my jaw would slack open and Id start drooling, theres a nice mental image for you

----------

Quote from AndroidXP :No. You're weird.

I used to grip the wheel so tight that one race it made a cracking sound, like something snaped.

After that I taught myself to eas up my grip and keep my arms relaxed.
Quote from DragonCommando :I used to grip the wheel so tight that one race it made a cracking sound, like something snaped.

After that I taught myself to eas up my grip and keep my arms relaxed.

You should buy S2... Its been almost 2 years now...
Quote from danowat :Am I the only one who grips their wheel so hard it makes their arms and neck hurt the next morning?

Man, I grip that bloody wheel so hard it leaves indentations in the bloody thing

I need to try and relax LOL

I grip the wheel hard enough ,that it doesnt' start thrashing around on it's own, but i do get pains in my arms, as if my veins are swelling up or something!
I used to have a death grip, too, but I've since eased up a lot. I find that now I generally have a pretty loose grip on the wheel. I don't just use my fingertips, but it's a loose grip.

I get a lot of pain in my shoulders neck and back when I race, though, but that's because my body is completely messed up. Probably from doing too many stupid things and injuring myself, though. I note that I sweat a lot during races, too. Particularily my butt and back. I generally have a much higher than average body surface temperature, I've always got girls clinging to me because 'I'm warm.' The unfortunate side-effect is that any part of me pressed against a surface results in sweat, even in the middle of winter.

I'm a freak, I know
Hilarious.

Me too. Done properly, you really should be 'guiding' the wheel and letting the FFB do a lot of the work for you. Still, I have a lot of trouble with it. So far, I mostly drive the single-seaters and they often require really fast corrections with the wheel. My trouble is easing up in between the corners. I find I need a pretty firm grip entering a corner because I might have to suddenly whip the wheel around to catch a slide but I forget to ease back up again afterwards.

Someone mentioned it above, and I've heard it quite a few times before, that you're supposed to steer right mostly with your left hand and left mostly with your right.

Probably part of my trouble, and something that has proven to be nigh on impossible for me to overcome, is to keep my hand off the damn shifter. Bad, bad habit. :smash3d:

It's nice to know I'm not alone in this.

Love,
Aero
I use my FFB at 20-60%. 200% would make my arms tired. especialy when drifting.
One of the main reasons why I migrated from stock car/indy racing to LFS road racing

Although, recently with the new patch i start to "death grip" my wheel without realizing it LOL.
Well, I don't have a death grip on the wheel, but I'll tell ya, my jaw hurts from unconsciously clenching down. I know I've been racing too long when my face hurts.
Oh, and Maggot, I empathize with the above normal body temperature thing.... maybe it's a Canadian thing... born and raise in the Prairies... you either get warm from shivering or freeze into a popsicle. I got warm!
#50 - JTbo
No, I like to feel feedback from wheel so I don't squeeze it with all my strength, however my neck is getting painful after little bit of racing, hard to turn head when that happens.

The "DEATH GRIP"
(126 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG