The online racing simulator
The "DEATH GRIP"
(126 posts, started )
I would've thought using gloves would feel like a bit of a BGB...

Proud to use no gloves with my G25 I even have the calluses to prove it
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Proud to use no gloves with my G25 I even have the calluses to prove it

Yeah, I can also second that. It sucks that you never notice any pain in the heat of the race, but only afterwards
I don't know what all you guys are talking about sweating and arm pains and such... maybe you're trying too hard... :/
I think as Arrow said in his post a few pages back, I try to drive with the softest touch possible ie fingertips, I don't use much force either, depending on the amount of caster I'm using in GT cars 10-15% and 20% in road cars.
All you guys sweating I have no idea about 'cause usually after a while I find myself turning the heater on because my fingers are getting cold
Maybe your RL racing background helps to relax in a sim? (Assuming it's you on your avatar).

I don't use much force either, 20-25% with the G25, so the thing is not physical, but mental.
I hold the wheel gently. If you hold it too hard you make the car nervous. You probably have the force feedback set way too strong.

With G25, I use 101% ffb in logitech drivers. In game I use 15%-25% FFB depending on the cars. Something like this:

BF1: 20% (Possibly 15%)
GTRs: 20% (maybe I will try 15% in FXR)
Road cars 25%
FWD cars 25% (maybe even 30%)
SS cars: 20-25%
Quote from [DUcK] :I don't know what all you guys are talking about sweating and arm pains and such... maybe you're trying too hard... :/
I think as Arrow said in his post a few pages back, I try to drive with the softest touch possible ie fingertips, I don't use much force either, depending on the amount of caster I'm using in GT cars 10-15% and 20% in road cars.
All you guys sweating I have no idea about 'cause usually after a while I find myself turning the heater on because my fingers are getting cold

Pretty much the same for me mate, I tend to hold the wheel really softly and I tend to be really smooth with the wheel movements. Maybe it's something to do with karters
Maybe, usually the smooth drivers are the fast guys, or atleast the guys who keep their cars straight with minimum slide.
Might be a karting thing, but I know alot of guys who have rough driving styles in karts, but their tyres are gone within 10 laps
@frokki yeah, maybe. Though I get more nervous and stuff in LFS that I do real life... In real life I manage to get myself into another world whilst driving on the limit.. in LFS i'm always thinking for some reason, and not as relaxed as I could/should be... maybe that's why I'm slow
Quote from [DUcK] :@frokki yeah, maybe. Though I get more nervous and stuff in LFS that I do real life... In real life I manage to get myself into another world whilst driving on the limit.. in LFS i'm always thinking for some reason, and not as relaxed as I could/should be... maybe that's why I'm slow

From my very limited karting experience with these 8hp go-karts, I also am more relaxed with the kart than LFS even when pushing too hard and racing friends wheel to wheel. When I get in my "zone" in the kart, the forces do all the work and also the air breeze cools you down.

Maybe my driving position in LFS has it's part in the show? I have limited room and the furniture is what it is for estethic reasons. The wheel is too high and I also sit high, it's like a 5 year old driving a bus
Yes I agree, I find it much easier to get in the 'zone' whilst driving a kart and often find myself doing about 10 perfect laps one after the other, whilst in LFS I find it harder to keep my concentration.

I think this is party down to the 'danger' factor in real racing, you get an adrenaline rush which keeps your concentration levels high whilst in LFS the lacking of the danger factor means I can't keep my concentration levels up. I certainly make many more mistakes in LFS than in real life, but it's probably also fair to say that you push harder in LFS than in real life racing.
I hold the wheel quite tight but not too much and i use a lot of force feedback. It's fun that way so after some racing my hands start to sweat a bit. Still it's less physical than driving a kart not to mention that only your hands are working and not the whole body like irl. My breathing is consistent while i'm playing LFS. Same with karting of course when it gets quite hot out there i start to breath faster and a bit deeper. No idea why would one be gripping the wheel so hard to start getting some kind of damage. Especially when using low force feedback i mean it's not like you are not sure if you'll be able to make it through the next corner because your hands are starting to go
Quote from jaws99 :Pretty much the same for me mate, I tend to hold the wheel really softly and I tend to be really smooth with the wheel movements. Maybe it's something to do with karters

Quote from jaws99 :Yes I agree, I find it much easier to get in the 'zone' whilst driving a kart and often find myself doing about 10 perfect laps one after the other, whilst in LFS I find it harder to keep my concentration.

I think this is party down to the 'danger' factor in real racing, you get an adrenaline rush which keeps your concentration levels high whilst in LFS the lacking of the danger factor means I can't keep my concentration levels up. I certainly make many more mistakes in LFS than in real life, but it's probably also fair to say that you push harder in LFS than in real life racing.

I agree.
Some of you really need a girlfriend
Quote from Joris :Some of you really need a girlfriend

/me doesn't get why you said that.
Quote from Joris :Some of you really need a girlfriend

Thats was abit harsh. Why exactly did you say that? There only talking about how they hold the wheel.
Quote from jaws99 :Yes I agree, I find it much easier to get in the 'zone' whilst driving a kart and often find myself doing about 10 perfect laps one after the other, whilst in LFS I find it harder to keep my concentration.

Word.

And wtf's your problem Joris? You browsed through this whole forum to just say that, when instead you could have been with your girlfriend??
How can you guys drive with such low FFB?

I have 90% in the logitech drivers and 100% ingame, setting ingame arround 25-30% just feels so lame
Quote from Glenn67 :How can you guys drive with such low FFB?

I have 90% in the logitech drivers and 100% ingame, setting ingame arround 25-30% just feels so lame

It depends on your wheel though, but I suspect that your force feedback is clipping and you actually feel less with such high values.

With red MOMO the optimum was 101% in profiler and about 40% ingame, and with G25 it is that 20-25.
Quote from frokki :With red MOMO the optimum was 101% in profiler and about 40% ingame, and with G25 it is that 20-25.

I've got a G25 and to me I just loose all the feel when I drop back to such low settings feels like it's not even worth bothering with ffb at that level. Sure it's easy to drive but doesn't feel like your connected to anything.

I've never detected abnormal behaviour at the high settings only when I go above 100% do I feel abnormal FFB, how can you tell if it's clipping as you say?
Quote from Glenn67 :I've never detected abnormal behaviour at the high settings only when I go above 100% do I feel abnormal FFB, how can you tell if it's clipping as you say?

You can tell it just by testing, after you've get used to those smaller values of course.

The clipping doesn't appear as "abnormal", it just means that you feel a maximum force in your wheel even when it's meant to feel smaller. Set it at 15% and you feel absolutely everyhting, set it over 100 and you only have two forces, "on" and "off". Anything between, I guess you get the idea.

It also depends on a car and setup (caster), but Nils has said that the maximum safe setting for G25 is around 25%
Quote from frokki :It also depends on a car and setup (caster), but Nils has said that the maximum safe setting for G25 is around 25%

I guess it's a personal thing anyway, I have driven and used a whole variety of settings first on a momo and now on a g25 from 15%, 50%, 80%,90% and now 100% for extended lengths of time and to me I just don't get the same feedback feel I get at 80-100% range as you get in the 10-30% range and I'm talking about reading the car at or near it's grip limit. Maybe it causes clipping in some circumstances but it's the feel at or near the grip limit that is most important.

Also I tend to use caster to get the optimum feel between cars, rather than adjust ffb strength for each car.
I use 103% in the profiler with a G25 @ 540 degrees. In LFS, I use 45% for most cars, 38% for the GTR's (which you won't feel any more real FFB force above 40% in) and 50% in the LX's.
As a lifelong keyboard user, I've never had that problem.

Although, getting cramp in my fingers more now, which might well be due to RSI problems. Might be my age, but I'm discounting that (now being older and wiser!).

Biggest problem I've got is our dog.

Our computer is right beside the stairs, which doesn't have any railings, and you sit with your back to the stairs, using the stairs as a seat backrest. Our dog likes to sit far enough up the stairs that she can lick your ears. Yuck!

She knows she's got a captive audience; that I can't lift my hands or turn round (away from the screen).
Quote from sinanju :...
Our dog likes to sit far enough up the stairs that she can lick your ears. Yuck!

She knows she's got a captive audience; that I can't lift my hands or turn round (away from the screen).

Solution: just put some hot chili sauce on your ears

When reading this thread, I recognized my racing habits through many posts: when under pressure, hard grip on the wheel, fast heartbeats, sweating a lot... etc.

However, when I used to race a LOT on BL1/XRT, I was more calm when racing on this combo because of all the confidence (and experience) I had.
#124 - STF
death grip ? when you`re doing it again, think of this.
Quote from STF :death grip ? when you`re doing it again, think of this.

thats like the funniest crap I've seen this week
When he presses NoS

The "DEATH GRIP"
(126 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG