The online racing simulator
TEST Patch X30 (to X38)
(1444 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Hockquan :
As for whether or not this level of durability is realistic I have no idea, but I guess that racing teams aren't going to go out of their way to make clutches much stronger than they need to be and the current ones in LFS seem more than strong enough.

Am I missing something with this clutch overheating thing? I just can't see it being an issue during a race if you shift properly unless you have some sort of incident/make a mistake.

All you can do to make a stronger clutch is. Either have More clamp force onto the clutch disc, or have a better gripping surface.

They ususally wear like a normal brake would, but if your exessively slip the torque you could "glaze" the clutch (almost turns to a glass like surface). But if you actually were to abuse it that bad, you can almost still can recover the grip of the surface from normal torqe transfering wear.

The heat is a good idea, but really you have more of a effect that your break pads have under heat.. I can be hard on my clutch but without slipping torque and get the clutch warm and it will never slip no matter how much I torque I put on it even in a high gear.

I think a temperature is good, when you get your clutch to over a normal operating heat (Very excessive "power shifting" and very hard down shifting.. Or just not applying the torque right really bad after all this abuse). Your clutch will get a glaze level (because if your slipping the torque and not applying it correctly, it will get really hot reguardless).
Using your clutch to transfering the torque effectively would reverse the "glaze state" back to the normal clutch surface state, and also cooling the clutch back to a normal temperature.

(I just think the "clutch heat" needs to go one step further IMO)

^I think a idea like this would make the most use out of the new "clutch heat".
The only other gripe I have about the new patch is the AI is almost too drone like.. They will plow into the back of you instead of finding a way around if they are able to overtake.

Or if your trying to pass but still holding the line with them they will push you off reguardless.. Maybe give them alittle room to feel crowded, if your not racing properly.. That will give you a disadvantage in the up comming turn.

I Just think the AI should represent the clean racing style, our community wants, not just a drone that holds the line and isn't aware of close surroundings.

I know this would be really hard to write into the game.. But I think that would tottaly perfect the AI
Also while I'm on the topic of my future Patch wish list...

A realistic in game car I feel were lacking is a Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT "like" car. Slightly underpowered RWD car, small handels great.

We could have a race like version and a stock. (check attachments )

Someone mentioned a RS4 "like" car.. I think that would be a great 6cyl AWD stock class, that would outclass the RB4.

Everyone wants a V8.. Maybe a AC "like" car, so we could have muscle and a roadster that isn't open wheeled (two birds one stone IMO).

I think all these are great european options that would realisticly add to this game very nicely.
Attached images
1967_Alfa_Romeo_Giulia_Sprint_Veloce_Vintage_Race_Car_Track_1[1].jpg
ba11[1].jpg
Quote from ghost racer :The only other gripe I have about the new patch is the AI is almost too drone like.. They will plow into the back of you instead of finding a way around if they are able to overtake.

Or if your trying to pass but still holding the line with them they will push you off reguardless.. Maybe give them alittle room to feel crowded, if your not racing properly.. That will give you a disadvantage in the up comming turn.

I Just think the AI should represent the clean racing style, our community wants, not just a drone that holds the line and isn't aware of close surroundings.

I know this would be really hard to write into the game.. But I think that would tottaly perfect the AI

Scawen said he was going to work on that.
Quote from joaopaulopt :XRT IN DEMO PLIZ XRT IN DEMO T_T
cars lfs demo
XRT, XFG XRG ,FBM

no take off is XRT in demo pliz

Its called a 'demo' for a reason...
Quote from joaopaulopt :XRT IN DEMO PLIZ XRT IN DEMO T_T
cars lfs demo
XRT, XFG XRG ,FBM

no take off is XRT in demo pliz

Why not the RB4, FOX,FO8,BF1, LX4, LX6 and so on ? And much more tracks offcourse, much more tracks !
Bit more 'testing'
14 laps of SO6R with LX4 racing and guys did say clutch was rather ok even they flatshifted whole race.
Quote from Cue-Ball : In most non-endurance races, teams pit when a full course caution comes out. But since LFS doesn't have full course cautions, and since AI can't possibly know about them, we can't currently handle this case. Best case solution here is that if a car causes a yellow flag for more than, say, 20 seconds (assuming reset is disabled), LFS issues a full course caution for 1-2 laps and forces that car to spectate.

At the moment, whats in development is the AI and how they behave. Im sure at this point of development, what ever the Dev team decide on what needs to happen to get to patch Y is going to happen, and full course cautions are not in the plan at this stage (?).

Quote from Cue-Ball :
I think this is more a problem with the basics of the way LFS works than it is a problem of the AI. Every track in LFS has half as many pit boxes as it does garages. The AI aren't aware of this limitation, and neither are normal players. It's impossible for everyone on a full server to pit at the same time, and since people are assigned stalls as they join you don't even know who your "teammate" is. This makes it virtually impossible for pit sharing to work. We need some sort of way to assign people to certain pit areas and make those areas clearly visible so that drivers know which pit is theirs. Then, the AI need to be made aware of this as well.

I wasnt even thinking about that (pit sharing)- I recall in LFS that AI used to use the fuel that I did. What I started the race with so did they.

Im not sure full course cautions are an option, just like my suggestion, at this point, maybe it will mean a new level of coding??? I do understand that what you are doing is suggesting that tho, not inferring that thats what is happening.

When you refer to team mates - that brings me on to AI racing online - I went on to the AI online server (which is pretty funky) and all my cars all pitted on the same lap - I would like to be able to get them to pit on different laps to help each other in the race, as they can in real life. BY pitting on different lap, which I cn decide - it allows them to hold up other cars, or find a gap in the traffic, and help there team mates (team rules) or hinder oppostion. Maybe they should be able to decide to do that themselves?????

LoL - heres me wanting LFS to be come a team management Sim.

Quote from Cue-Ball :
I think that's a hacky and poor workaround. Right now the AI are great at determining the amount of fuel they need, how many stints they need to run, etc. I sure as heck don't want to have to assign every single AI a specific fuel level just to make them pit more "randomly". Especially if Scawen could do the same thing with a relatively straight forward logic fix.

Ohhh I would - I would then save that classic pit line up and share with you all for some fun - AI watching - or AI Beating. I am a bit of a stratergy geek and like fiddling like that. Especially if the reawrd mean the end justified the means. Im not a turn up and go person. I do like to work at things a bit.
I do agree that the fix should be straight forward logic.

Quote from Cue-Ball :
What we really need is: Full course cautions, AI that are aware they may be sharing a pit box with another car (AI or human), and some sort of way for people to get assigned stalls/pits and be able to tell which one they are assigned to. And the AI being more aware of human drivers wouldn't hurt either, but Scawen said he's working on that.

Yes they will all be good in the end - agreed.

Sorry for the long post but didnt want to just quote bits and miss quote you in anyway. Just like LFS this will grow and develop accordingly, and Im sure any suggestions made here - will be most likely never seen.
Quote from JTbo :Bit more 'testing'
14 laps of SO6R with LX4 racing and guys did say clutch was rather ok even they flatshifted whole race.

Damn you were quick...

But yeah, didn't realise the clutch had been changed until we did the last 14 lap race, so i tried flatshifting to see how far i could get, and only got a few problems at the very last corner of the race.

Gotta say it was no fun at all, even though i beat my PB by 1.5 secs, it was far to easy, the challenge has gone, never missed a gear change, never dropped a couple of cogs by mistake, really really no fun at all.

Not that it makes any difference Scawen, but i aint happy with this.....Please bring back the (enforced) challenge. Ok so i can chose not to flatshift, but for me that means a choice between last place and err second to last place (possibly) Granted you've got to strike a balence to keep all the punters happy, but the previous clutch settings Patch 33 i think it was, was fine. I never had any problems with clutch heat when lifting off throttle during changes, and i'm one of the most cack-handed drivers out there, so if i can look after my clutch anyone can.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Damn you were quick...

But yeah, didn't realise the clutch had been changed until we did the last 14 lap race, so i tried flatshifting to see how far i could get, and only got a few problems at the very last corner.

Gotta say it was no fun at all, even though i beat my PB by 1.5 secs, it was far to easy, the challenge has gone, never missed a gear change, never dropped a couple of cogs by mistake, really really no fun at all.

Not that it makes any difference Scawen, but i aint happy with this.....Please bring back the (enforced) challenge. Ok so i can chose not to flatshift, but for me that means a choice between last place and err second to last place (possibly) Granted you've got to strike a balence to keep all the punters happy, but the previous clutch settings Patch 33 i think it was, was fine. I never had any problems with clutch heat when lifting off throttle during changes, and i'm one of the most cack-handed drivers out there, so if i can look after my clutch anyone can.

It is BL2 with XFG where this all is coming from, in old patch x30 it was not possible to AI cars finish 20 lap race and fairly impossible for human racer to make that at racing speed, bit like snail race.

Change has to be based to some physics, so latest change did cause XFG in BL2 to work pretty well but as that change did affect to some other cars too, it made those such that one can easily flatshift on race.

So now it might be bit of choice between two situations or then Scawen would need to work even more with issue that I believe has taken quite lot of precious time already.
Yeah i understand the situation.

To be honest i really don't understand all the techy side of things, but all i know is it's still possible to flatshift without causing too much damage to the clutch in my beloved LX's, will have to go try the RAC too.

Having said all this, i'll just go on lifting the throttle during changes and be happy with last place, i'm not too bothered to be honest. These cars are so much fun even at 30mph

Incidently, i guess i should have mentioned i was using autoclutch, upon reflection i suppose that was quite an important fact i missed out
haha wow, taking off a few times, slipping the clutch gently like a real road car, and the clutch pretty much burns right out. Hopefully this issue gets resolved soon
Quote from steve :haha wow, taking off a few times, slipping the clutch gently like a real road car, and the clutch pretty much burns right out. Hopefully this issue gets resolved soon

If you manage to do that with x36, you are doing it wrong, sir
Quote from steve :haha wow, taking off a few times, slipping the clutch gently like a real road car, and the clutch pretty much burns right out. Hopefully this issue gets resolved soon

You should never slip the clutch, in any shape sense or form. Find the biting point, and pull away - any slippage should last bit a brief moment - and you under power. No need to slip at all.
Well i dont post a lot but i play LFS for years now.
I didnt red all posts but i have some questions or remarks.

I use manual clutch for years on button.
It took me time to learn it.

I can understand that its maybe not the best realistic way to drive.
Im ready to change and learn new way of driving...but...

I tried manual clutch with button on the new patch (the latest released today X36) and i cant make 5 laps without killing it.

After that i tried auto clutch were you have to release pedal before switching gear.
Down shift is ok but up shifting is a nightmare.

Most of time i miss gears cos i release my pedal fast and i think my hardware dont answer as fast it must be.
Im losing so much time with that technic.

Why not letting a bigger reliability to the clutch to let manual clutch drivers still using it(with button).
Maybe canceling clutch failure.

Otherwise, new patch is good and i appreciate all the work done, but i have a bad taste about that new way of driving.
Quote from lake10 :Well i dont post a lot but i play LFS for years now.
I didnt red all posts but i have some questions or remarks.

I use manual clutch for years on button.
It took me time to learn it.

I can understand that its maybe not the best realistic way to drive.
Im ready to change and learn new way of driving...but...

I tried manual clutch with button on the new patch (the latest released today X36) and i cant make 5 laps without killing it.

After that i tried auto clutch were you have to release pedal before switching gear.

Most of time i miss gears cos i release my pedal fast and i think my hardware dont answer as fast it must be.
Im losing so much time with that technic.

Why not letting a bigger reliability to the clutch to let manual clutch drivers still using it(with button).
Maybe canceling clutch failure.

Otherwise, new patch is good and i appreciate all the work done, but i have a bad taste about that new way of driving.

You must lift throttle pedal even if you use button clutch, when driving cars that don't do it automatically.

When changing down you need to manually blip throttle so that revs are close to what they are when you release clutch.

With these adjustments to driving you might find it pretty good and strong
Quote from lake10 :

I've been using fully manual shifting with a clutch as a button for a few years now as well.. You just have to get better at timing the momentum of the gear before you shift up a gear. Also you will need to press the clutch in a little sooner, and you will need the clutch depressed the WHOLE time untill you get into the new gear.

I find upshifting just as easy.. but downshifting 20x more picky.. I thought it was more realistic being able to pop the car out of gear without a clutch (thats how I shift IRL).
After stalling the UF1, I went downhill will the engine off and ignition still on. I was going about 80 km/h, put it in 1st gear, and released the clutch. The car came to a stop, with a high clutch temp. But when I tried this with other cars, their engines came on at those speeds as soon as I released the clutch. Why does the UF1's engine not turn on when I do this?
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :After stalling the UF1, I went downhill will the engine off and ignition still on. I was going about 80 km/h, put it in 1st gear, and released the clutch. The car came to a stop, with a high clutch temp. But when I tried this with other cars, their engines came on at those speeds as soon as I released the clutch. Why does the UF1's engine not turn on when I do this?

Did you noted which kind of rpm it did have?
Maybe it has so high compression powerful racing engine that at 1st gear there is no enough power to spin it at all

When you have engine at idle and you lift clutch there should be almost no clutch heat as getting crank spinning at gearbox speed should not require much of any effort from clutch.
I think you misunderstood my post. What I said was that the engine was off (RPM = 0) and I was coasting at around 80 km/h, and when I let go of the clutch in 1st gear the engine did not turn on, it just stayed at 0 RPM and the car came to a stop.
Quote from JTbo :It is BL2 with XFG where this all is coming from, in old patch x30 it was not possible to AI cars finish 20 lap race and fairly impossible for human racer to make that at racing speed, bit like snail race.

Change has to be based to some physics, so latest change did cause XFG in BL2 to work pretty well but as that change did affect to some other cars too, it made those such that one can easily flatshift on race.

So now it might be bit of choice between two situations or then Scawen would need to work even more with issue that I believe has taken quite lot of precious time already.

I did a few test races last night with myself and AI around BL1 amd BL2 in XFG, XRG and LX6.

The XFG seems no problem now around BL2 the AI can finish a 15 lap race with minimal clutch heat and I finished the same race with the same heat as them but half a lap ahead so faster pace. Using momo with autoclutch, using default rallycross set. This was comparable to the XRG clutch heat over the same race.

On BL1 the XFG race with minimal clutch heat similar to the lx6 at patch x33 so seems about right. The LX6 on the other hand seems too easy now. I did a 15 lap race around BL1 and after 15 laps with proper blipping you couldn't even detect any clutch heat.

I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing as irl would the LX6 have a better clutch for the car type etc than the XFG. And from what I understand if you flatshift in the LX6 it would still produce some heat which would effect slip on gear changes and impact lap times slightly?

Overall I think it's pretty good in X36 but it could possible be slightly less strong? Something like 75% between X33 and X36.
Quote from herki :Probably it could work like that:
20 - 40 - 60 - 80 - 100 -120 ...?
Would look a lot better to me at least, plus I liked the old, unreadable speedos

It doesn't have to be all the same size, just have some more numbers in there.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :I think you misunderstood my post. What I said was that the engine was off (RPM = 0) and I was coasting at around 80 km/h, and when I let go of the clutch in 1st gear the engine did not turn on, it just stayed at 0 RPM and the car came to a stop.

No, I did not misunderstood. Clearly engines is so resistant to rotating it via clutch that it seems bit wrong.
Ahh I think the clutch was just slipping cause the temperature was in the orange (not even in the red), because with a new clutch the engine does start in the situation I described before.

Btw, I've been playing around with OutGauge the last couple of days, and I was wondering, will there will be a Clutch Temperature packet included in OutGauge in Patch Y?
Solution!!!
Quote from BIzO :Wtf, i can't download...
I'm only in X32

I had the same problem...
I was Admisistrator, but for some reason I needed to do this...

Solution:
1. Right-click the lfs shortcut
2. Click "Run as Administrator"
3. When Vista asks to allow it click "Allow"
4. When lfs starts click "Multiplayer", "Display List of Hosts" and download and enjoy!!!

This thread is closed

TEST Patch X30 (to X38)
(1444 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG