The online racing simulator
Worse thing about Finland?
(253 posts, started )
Quote from Lible :Finns good on English? Haha.. listen to Häkkinen and Räikkönen (who imo imitates the previous). Häkkinen is ofcourse an extreme example, but still.. .
And yes, the language is much much harder than English.
Bawbag gave an example.

You forget the master of english; Grönholm
Quote from Doorman :Kiitoksia paljon.

Kakkonen on ykkönen

Quote from Lible :Finns good on English? Haha.. listen to Häkkinen and Räikkönen (who imo imitates the previous). Häkkinen is ofcourse an extreme example, but still.. .
And yes, the language is much much harder than English.
Bawbag gave an example.

Give us a name of famous estonian race driver - oh, wait, there ain't any
Quote from Hyperactive :Give us a name of famous estonian race driver - oh, wait, there ain't any

Marko Asmer AND Markko Martin.

Pwned :P. Like most people in British F3 this year.
Heh, my mistake
#32 - wark
Quote from Albieg :I'll spell it Raikkonen, but it's not an error, it's just an approximation due to keyboard limits and a bit of lazyness.

Why not just write "Raeikkoenen"? An umlaut is, after all, just a kind of gothic ligature designed to save paper (for this reason, english sometimes used a consonant line over the vowel (e.g. "innocēt hāds" instead of "innocent hands") when the complete words would not fit on the line).

...but if they're some kind of modern diæreses, disregard this post.
Quote from Kalev EST :It´s actually Markko Märtin.

There isn't a way of adding ä on an en-UK keyboard without character map.
#34 - wark
Quote from duke_toaster :There isn't a way of adding ä on an en-UK keyboard without character map.

I use ALT+0228.
#36 - wark
Quote from Doorman :Doesn't that only work in Word?

It should work anywhere you can type. I've had problems with some IM apps, though.

ßèéüöä (a few I've memorized out of necessity)

...but apparently it doesn't work for you UK'ers?
Quote from wark :Why not just write "Raeikkoenen"? An umlaut is,

I'd do it if Raikkonen was German since I know the usage of the umlaut in German, but I don't know in Finnish, and the use may differ.
#38 - JTbo
Driving a car is close to criminal activity, people don't use brains and laws encourage that, flowerhats in general, me me me attitude among quite several, pretty much similar to what there is in every other country, or at least in UK, countries are surprisingly similar in some areas.

But realistic things that could surprise you:
Work is expensive, so if you need to get computer or car fixed work is going to be expensive.

Winters are today mostly -5 to +5 changes every odd week, then few really cold days, maybe a week around February, but white Christmas can be soon history in quite large part of country.

Then of course I live here, that must be pretty negative thing really
Quote from wark :Why not just write "Raeikkoenen"? An umlaut is, after all, just a kind of gothic ligature designed to save paper (for this reason, english sometimes used a consonant line over the vowel (e.g. "innocēt hāds" instead of "innocent hands") when the complete words would not fit on the line).

...but if they're some kind of modern diæreses, disregard this post.

Nope, Raeikkonen does not equal to Räikkonen in Finnish/Estonian, altough it's similar.
Quote from Blackout :What else. Well, cars are ridiculously expensive, houses are small, and people drink.

Umm, what do you mean? I remember just few weeks ago in Hesari there was a study that rental apartments are here little above the European average, square metre per person or something. Might remember completely wrong though.

Not yet mentioned: lack of culinary background, often resulting in tasteless food. Altough if you're coming from UK, might not be that big of a shock
I've lived about 28 years in Finland, 5 in Sweden and a few months in England. In my opinion what is worse in Finland compared to these countries is peoples manners. In England and Sweden when you meet a stranger he/she will most probably be polite and friendly, but in Finland people tend to be reserved. But that will usually change once the ice melts. However that has an influence on everyday life, since in a big town you will meet a lot of stranges all the time.

In Sweden people tend to have a friendly and warm attitude towards you unless they see a reason for disliking you. In Finland however too many people have "who are you" attitude until they get to learn and trust you. But I have a feeling that it's changing slowly with new generations.

Some links:
http://psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20070116-000004.html
http://aceliento.wordpress.com ... re-really-cool-after-all/
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Finnish_proverbs

But overall Finland is a good place to live. You will have enough to explore in culture and nature for another 107 years.
Quote from Albieg :I'll spell it Raikkonen, but it's not an error, it's just an approximation due to keyboard limits and a bit of lazyness.

Njaah, it's ok to spell it with a and o, because some keyboards don't have those characters. It's spelling it totally wrong ie. Riakkoen Kolvaenn etc. that makes us mis-spell British racing car drivers.
Quote from deggis :Umm, what do you mean? I remember just few weeks ago in Hesari there was a study that rental apartments are here little above the European average, square metre per person or something. Might remember completely wrong though.

Well, compared to the land area we could built on the houses are small. But big houses are expensive to keep warm anyway, so it not might be that bad. Europeans live tight compared to Americans in any scale.

More about alcohol price, it's 170% over the European average I think, only Ireland is more expensive.

edit.

One thing you silly Brits should love is the true limitless broadband. Not the most fastest in the world, but I'd say 2/1 megs is available even on the most rural areas.

And btw, have you though where around Finland you were going to move Doorman?
Quote from Doorman :What is, in your opinion, the worst thing about living in Finland?

In winter, if there is no snow, it is dark and cold. And it is damn miserable to sit...erm...stand in a bus at 7:00 am...or a bus stop when it's so windy that sleet hits you horizontally

Computer hardware is bit more expensive than e.g in Germany, GB, etc and the new stuff comes later and in smaller quantities.

Then there is that one neighbour... *points east*
Some interesting observations. ä Damn! It does work outside of Word. I can safely say I now know everything!
As for driving in Finland, it is my impression that there is less 'hurry up' and more patience among the majority of Finnish drivers. I have driven a lot in Helsinki (rush hour traffic is like a Sunday afternoon in Chelmsford) Vantaa is the only airport I've been able to drive out of without being hassled, except Jerez.
Paavo, don't worry about ..*the neighbours*. You're in the EU now, we'll sort them out if they give you any trouble. :grouphug:

:hidesbehi
#46 - JTbo
One more thing is that neighbours are envy to each others and even tiny weeny bit of success is bad thing, which is then talked behind back, things are exaggerated and twisted upside down etc.

For average finn it is worst thing in life if neighbour has something better than he has, majority seem incapable of cheering truly for another's success, people don't see how it would benefit they too.

Also some funny laws are made to equalize things, so you could say that it is in law too

But indeed, it life still is on good side, some annoyances, but at least water is still pretty clear and good to drink without funny odours, except in Oulu, their water was bit bad, imo.
Quote from JTbo :
But indeed, it life still is on good side, some annoyances, but at least water is still pretty clear and good to drink without funny odours, except in Oulu, their water was bit bad, imo.

In Nokia, water is good
#48 - JTbo
Quote from Aquilifer :In Nokia, water is good

When you try water in Ivalo, you need new words above good
#49 - wark
Quote from Lible :Nope, Raeikkonen does not equal to Räikkonen in Finnish/Estonian, altough it's similar.

Ah, all right. Thanks.

Do you know if this was always the case? i.e. in the 14th-16th centuries? do you know why? or did y'all steal umlauts from another language without realizing what they were?

(begging for a history lesson)
#50 - JTbo
Quote from wark :Ah, all right. Thanks.

Do you know if this was always the case? i.e. in the 14th-16th centuries? do you know why? or did y'all steal umlauts from another language without realizing what they were?

(begging for a history lesson)

Begging answered

Worse thing about Finland?
(253 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG