The online racing simulator
Worse thing about Finland?
(253 posts, started )
Quote from duke_toaster :Whatever you think of them, we shouldn't have been stupid enough to let one of them take control of our andrexball team

You tell me. Swedes once had control of our whole country. And then those cowards gave it to Russian Empire.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pw3e64sosEg

So the history explains this piece of quality humour.
You should also be aware of these Volvo lunatics
Quote :<@Sneak> Täähän käy näppärämmin ku pressavaalit
<@Tuntematon> pakko kai se olis alkaa pistämään kämppää kuntoon, voi helevetti kun vituttaa

hahahah
Quote from hyntty :Has anyone found other clips from "Practical english in practice"?

No, but I found this, thanks to this topic. Sorry, no English subtitles. I was thorough the whole sketch the first time I saw it, I should have it on the video too, somewhere.
Well, none of you lot have said anything to put me off, so phase 2 is in operation. Getting quotes from removal companies.
Quote from Doorman :Well, none of you lot have said anything to put me off, so phase 2 is in operation. Getting quotes from removal companies.

Ah, you are bit stubborn one, that is good feature to have in here

Hope you get good quotes, which does not cost a fortune. Would be silly to transport anything then, you could just give them everything directly without need of transporting, that would be bit silly
I thought you would of made the switch years ago

I'm also in the researching stage of perhaps relocating to somewhere in the Nordic reigons, I'm leaning towards the prospect of Estonia, who knows , my timeframe for this is 2010-ish.
Anyhow its a great thread , and surely it will be an interesting journey of life, all the best of luck with phase 2 and beyond.
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :I thought you would of made the switch years ago

I'm also in the researching stage of perhaps relocating to somewhere in the Nordic reigons, I'm leaning towards the prospect of Estonia, who knows , my timeframe for this is 2010-ish.
Anyhow its a great thread , and surely it will be an interesting journey of life, all the best of luck with phase 2 and beyond.

Sweden has never been very bad choice, they are on some levels far more advanced nation than rest here, at least in car stuff police and MOT personell are using common sense and people are not envy from every little (imagined) things
Which is the best cable ISP and/or ADSL ISP? Is it expensive? I'm used to a 20mb cable connection @ £37 pm. How does that compare?
This is important as you have to get your priorities right!
i think that best thing in finland is that we can say anything that others dont care cuz they dont understand, like ''manne''ryssä''homo'' and else

Worst thing is that ''mannet'' are moving to here and gonna takeover the finland some day
Quote from Doorman :Which is the best cable ISP and/or ADSL ISP? Is it expensive? I'm used to a 20mb cable connection @ £37 pm. How does that compare?
This is important as you have to get your priorities right!

You will need now bit of finnish language, go to these addresses and
www.elisa.fi Click then "Tarkista Elisa Laajakaistan saatavuus ja hinta antamalla osoitetietosi täällä." Input your address

www.saunalahti.fi Type your address information and click hae

www.sonera.fi <- shite, I know, I used to install these and diagnose problems, very bad, it is last resort. Bottom of page, red text saatavuuskyselyllä click it and input address press Jatka, DON'T press tilaa it means that you order it

My brother has Nebula, I don't know about that much of anything, check it out too.

There is some others too, but some I don't even know of and some are too crap to list

Finnish laajakaista means broadband
Quote from batteryy :i think that best thing in finland is that we can say anything that others dont care cuz they dont understand, like ''manne''ryssä''homo'' and else

Worst thing is that ''mannet'' are moving to here and gonna takeover the finland some day

Whatever they are at least you've got until 'someday'. They've already taken over here!
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :I thought you would of made the switch years ago

Cheers Alan. That post snuck by me.
Quote from JTbo :You will need now bit of finnish language, go to these addresses and
www.elisa.fi Click then "Tarkista Elisa Laajakaistan saatavuus ja hinta antamalla osoitetietosi täällä." Input your address

www.saunalahti.fi Type your address information and click hae

www.sonera.fi <- shite, I know, I used to install these and diagnose problems, very bad, it is last resort. Bottom of page, red text saatavuuskyselyllä click it and input address press Jatka, DON'T press tilaa it means that you order it

My brother has Nebula, I don't know about that much of anything, check it out too.

There is some others too, but some I don't even know of and some are too crap to list

Finnish laajakaista means broadband

Thanks. Elisa seems ok, €35-€45. Price is near enough as makes no difference. As long as they're reliable. There are companies here that quote £8-10 pm but they're very low end connections.
Quote from Doorman :Thanks. Elisa seems ok, €35-€45. Price is near enough as makes no difference. As long as they're reliable. There are companies here that quote £8-10 pm but they're very low end connections.

Elisa has been most reliable what I have seen.

Everytime I need to use Sonera adsl I get problems with youtube, videos load extremely slow, page response time is quite slow if page is outside of finland etc.

Was incredible when I did move 250 meters and chose Elisa, speed was lot more. Now I have saunalahti that has 1MB upload too. (I play poor, only 1MB connection)
Quote from Doorman :Whatever they are at least you've got until 'someday'. They've already taken over here!

Ryssä=russian man(thats what we called them in war...)
homo=gay
manne=someone who speak finnish lanuange good, hes stupid and born somewhere else than finland
other fins can say if i said wrong
Quote from batteryy :Ryssä=russian man(thats what we called them in war...)
homo=gay
manne=someone who speak finnish lanuange good, hes stupid and born somewhere else than finland

I plead 'Not guilty' on all counts!
Quote from batteryy :manne=someone who speak finnish lanuange good, hes stupid and born somewhere else than finland

This one went right over my head.

"Manne" is a romani person, or a gipsy. Not very liked among the mainstream, because a lot of romani don't want to acculturate in the society, meaning that they quit school, break the law, don't want to work and stuff.

Finland and Sweden do have quite special Romani cultures I think, at least I have thought that gypsies in most places are poor and not so well dressed, when here they drive fancy Volvos and Mercs, wear golden jewelry and expensive clothes.
Quote from batteryy :Ryssä=russian man(thats what we called them in war...)
homo=gay

Manne is actually insulting name for those that are Romani, called gypsy also in english. Often treated badly because their culture and ways differ from main population, also because they look different by clothing and often have dark eyes and strong dark hair, compared to light tones of scandinavian people.

I have had never trouble with them, but many say they only cheat and steal, I find it sad that such racism still exists in modern world.

Problem is that because many finns don't respect them, many of them don't respect finns, or finnish laws.

When you know bit more of their culture it is much easier to see why certain things happen.

Little finnish language practise here, Romanit
Quote from Doorman :Thanks. Elisa seems ok, €35-€45. Price is near enough as makes no difference. As long as they're reliable. There are companies here that quote £8-10 pm but they're very low end connections.

Be prepared for long waiting before anything happens. From my experience waiting times of 4 to 6 weeks are normal, unless you get lucky.

Last summer I was trying to get a Sonera broadband on my summer apartment (sounds a lot better than it was btw :tilt and it took 6 weeks (!) before I got fed up with them. It was a special offer (-50% discount so I was looking at 24Mbit at 30€ per month iirc). I haven't heard anything positive abouit Sonera but the rest are ok. One missing from Jtbo's list is dnafinland (link) which I'm using right now. Has been quite reliable and good for gaming too.

Although I'd go with the one that has some special offer. Although not with Sonera :P. And as you may know, in Finland the TV-license, internet and mobile phone are easy to buy separately so you don't need to buy them as a package. Normal finnish mobile phone is 6.9c per minute + 6.9c per month and the delivery is quite quick. No idea how it compares to UK though .
I did not put dna to list as I have really really bad experiences from that one, but maybe it is also bit area depended.

One thing works there quite well, Monday ordered and Wednesday delivered, but trick is to call them or visit them every day
The ISPs are totally area related. Over here where I live Elisa is the worst of the lot and Sonera is one of the best.

EDIT: I live in Jyväskylä. Here the local TNNet is the best, but Sonera is a close second.
Quote from geeman1 :The ISPs are totally area related. Over here where I live Elisa is the worst of the lot and Sonera is one of the best.

Between Pello and Riihimäki I have not found Sonera being any better, piece of crap when it comes to youtube videos.

Sad thing is that it might be my only option in future, with pathetic 1/512 speed
Last year there was OECD country research and according to that Finland had the cheapest connections - but only average in "megabits per euro".

Doorman: do you have monthly bandwidth limits in UK? One good thing about broadbands here is that those are completely unknown here. I don't think any DSL connection here has GB limits.

Worse thing about Finland?
(253 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG