The online racing simulator
Quote from J.B. :EDIT: Oh! I just checked the in game suspension view and 0.0° camber setting is infact quite a high negative setting! What's up with that? No wonder I've been having problems dealing with tyre temps. That may also change quite a few of the things I've said about tyres...

Also, just for info, if you look to the right of the camber adjust slider, you can also see the live camber there without having to activate the suspension view. Don't forget to drop the car after a camber adjustment so the live camber isn't falsified due to the deforming tyres.
Quote from J.B. :
I think there may be something to your idea that LFS tyres are too soft. in fact, isn't that just another way of saying that they heat uo too much?

Soft tires (generalising a bit here) heat up quicker, wear quicker and produce more grip overall but at a low temperature. That last point is significant, and why a GT car may have optimum tires after an hour and a hillclimb tire can be at its peak after 200 yards and knackered at the end of a long hillclimb.

Quote from thenoob :
I don't understand why an aid like the auto cut-off is considered such baaad thing when an automatic gear (i.e.) is not.

2 pedal wheels are commonly available on ebay for less than the price of LFS, and equally most joypads and if you insist a mouse can offer that much control. A lot of people don't have another usable analog control available so a concession has been made so the majority will not be at a great disadvantage to the minority who can afford and want to purchase expensive pedals and shifters. I don't think any sim will be brave enough to stop auto clutch and non H-gate users being competitive in a hurry, which is a good thing really.

Quote from Bandit77 :...

@Bandit - If you keep playing LFS rather than moaning it will begin to come over the coming weeks and months I'm sure. Those of us using auto clutch can drive the road cars exactly the same as the FBM and sequential cars without an ignition cut, just be vigiliant of the fact that if you don't do it right you'll end up burning the clutch rather than just not shifting.
Quote from Toddshooter :Can you let me know how to do this? I have been trying but I don't get a blip no matter what I do.
Thanks

1) Squeeze paddle or push shifter
2) Press gas pedal
3) Release paddle/shifter
Quote from Indiana Jim :
1. Engines are no longer repaired in pit stops

I don't quite agree with that because pit stops are used for repairs in real life racing. In racing, engine repairs are a priority. You can't win races with a faulty engine. Also, by deleting that, it will eliminate some drivers from racing, think about it, those who are learning to handle their cars. Quite unfair, if you ask me.

The simplest cheapest common result of light over revving accidents are bent valves, or if you're unlucky pistons and if you really cock it up a hole in the engine. Seeing as engine changes are not permitted IRL endurance racing series you are looking at a several hour job (assuming the block was fine), that wouldn't be worth considering in anything shorter than a 24 hour race. So for LFSs sake it's not relevant and finally looking after the car will actually mean something. Hopefully suspension repairs can be increased again for the next patch
Oh I forgot one minor, shouldn't it be possible to bump start the car if I stall it? Currently it doesn't like to engage gears while the engine isn't running.
Scawen!!! man.. I just.. man, I like u
Quote from ajp71 :Hopefully suspension repairs can be increased again for the next patch

Agreed! I would like to see all the but most minor repairs take a dreadfully long time. In the real world you can't just swap control arms, shocks, and springs in 30 seconds. I think this is one of the few areas that nkPro is better than LFS.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Agreed! I would like to see all the but most minor repairs take a dreadfully long time. In the real world you can't just swap control arms, shocks, and springs in 30 seconds. I think this is one of the few areas that nkPro is better than LFS.

Yeah nK style repair times in a race but none of the nonsense about waiting for setup changes or repairs in other sessions would be great
It seems some people can't co-ordinate their hands and feet very well. Suffice to say you would not have an easier time of it if you had a clutch pedal - it would just be one extra foot to get wrong, and you'd have to operate two pedals with your right foot instead of just one.

Some seem to think that would be easier...
Quote from ajp71 :The simplest cheapest common result of light over revving accidents are bent valves, or if you're unlucky pistons and if you really cock it up a hole in the engine. Seeing as engine changes are not permitted IRL endurance racing series you are looking at a several hour job (assuming the block was fine), that wouldn't be worth considering in anything shorter than a 24 hour race. So for LFSs sake it's not relevant and finally looking after the car will actually mean something. Hopefully suspension repairs can be increased again for the next patch

There are engine fixing done in RL racing but not to damage currently coded in LFS. When the simulation is detailed enough we will get engine repair back (for problems that are fixable, like readding water to an overheated engine, power cykling a buggy ECU etc.)
Quote from Cue-Ball :1) Squeeze paddle or push shifter
2) Press gas pedal

no way, josé.

Quote from thisnameistaken :It seems some people can't co-ordinate their hands and feet very well. Suffice to say you would not have an easier time of it if you had a clutch pedal - it would just be one extra foot to get wrong, and you'd have to operate two pedals with your right foot instead of just one.

Some seem to think that would be easier...

what do you want to say with this? even if it was "the same" to operate two paddles and a button clutch as handle a gearlever and a pedal-clutch (and there are hints that it's definitely not) it'd still be a joke cause you don't do it in reality - whereas in reality you do have systems that work like the old LFS sequential mode. so it's a realistic system that can be found in SOME cars. there is NO real world car where you have to push a button-clutch, release throttle, pull a lever, release the lever, release the clutch, step on throttle.
THAT's my point.
And for those who like it the way it is now: does it make your experience more real in terms of DRIVING not of thinking what's technically going on behind it?
Quote from Linsen :I was actually not planning on chiming in here, but I can't help but getting really annoyed by this constant bickering about having to manually cut the throttle on upshifts. It is more realistic, frigging easy and almost impossible to misshift if done properly.

I'll have to agree on this point - and I was one of those who was openly cautious and dubious about the gearbox changes beforehand, and yet it's been brilliantly implemented imho. Sure, there might be some fine tuning needed in some areas, but the basics are great and create more immersion and challenge. The balance seems good too - a practised three-pedal user can probably change gear fastest of all in the H-gate cars as well as having the finest control (I'm finding it extremely difficult to blip on downchange with the autoclutch, because it's not me that's doing the clutching), but autoclutching is a perfectly viable and competitive alternative for two-pedallers or those learning the new gearbox.

The only problem I have with this patch is the change in view controls, which I can neither fathom out, nor understand why some are defending them...
Quote from ajp71 :What's wrong with the L2 and R2 buttons far easier to reach than the POV.

Not sure what your DFP is shaped like, but on mine the L2 and R2 buttons are the furthest away from the rim - hardly convenient. Currently they're mapped to traction control and pit limiter for me, as it's the rarely used functions such as those that you can afford to have in the less accessible places on the wheel.
Quote from thisnameistaken :The D-pad on the DFP is a better choice. The sequential stick is on the right, D-pad on the left, so you can still look in either direction with one hand on the shifter - you wouldn't be able to do that using L2 and R2.

I think the config for the look functions aren't very well thought through. I'd much prefer an option to map 45 or 90 degrees independently.

I concur - using the POV hat / D-pad is instinctive and natural on the DFP.

Quote from Veiti :It would be great if there were options like:

[ ] side view in two steps: 45° -> 90°
[ ] side view in two steps: 90° -> rear

I think it'd be great if the look function wasn't made a two-button process, and inherited some of the old functionality. Still having it as a two-step process will rob one controller or another of being able to use it. Assuming that G25 owners use the two red buttons on the wheel to look, G25ers can look a full 90° to each side, but not behind. Us DFPers using the D-pad can only look 45° to each side, but can use the down direction on the D-pad to look straight behind.

None of it seems consistent or logical, especially when considering the old adage - if it aint broke, don't fix it.
Quote from GR Evolution :In my opinion this is one of the best improvements. Think it logically, can a human head turn 90 degs and see 180 degs?

The reason the old side view system wasn't broken (although I agree with the new principle of not being able to look behind in race cars or single seaters) was because a full and instant 90° glance to each side is an essential tool to compensate for the fact that a monitor screen has such a limited FOV compared to real life. In reality you have peripheral vision. You might not notice it much, and the human eye can't focus on or determine any details about anything in the peripheral vision, but even a slight turn of your head in reality gives you awareness of a car or movement out of the corner of your eye, equivalent to a full 90° in LFS.

Think about when driving your own car, on the road. If you want to check whether there is a car alongside your driver's door, do you need to twist your neck a full 90°? Of course not, your peripheral vision can do most of the work for you. Obviously a helmet reduces some of that peripheral vision, but it's still there. There is no peripheral vision in LFS (or any other game that is played on a single screen), which is why it's so important for all users of all controllers to be able to configure look controls that allow safe and clean driving online. Otherwise I fear that online public racing is going to get a lot messier in future.
Quote from Bandit77 :And for those who like it the way it is now: does it make your experience more real in terms of DRIVING not of thinking what's technically going on behind it?

Those are one and the same when racing. You HAVE to think about what is going on technically so you don't abuse the mechanics of your car. That's the aspect the patch added, and that's why I (and apparently a lot of other folks) love it.
I agree that the 90* look was nice, and users should have the option. Just a select box with a choice of looking 45* or 90* would be nice (with smooth or instant looking, like we have in X10). I think having both 45 and 90 degree look is too complex.

Looking behind should be removed completely, IMO.
Quote from Cue-Ball :1) Squeeze paddle or push shifter
2) Press gas pedal

What do you set your button debounce too so you don't get multipule button presses registering?
I'm not used to being pressurised by AI's, just did a 10 lap race at SO Chicane with 5 xfgs and they were hassling ME.......WTF is going on. Seriously LOVING it atm!!

EDIT BTW anyone noticed an FPS drop at all since the patch?
don't take out the XRT!! dont do it to us drifters.please.
Quote from AndroidXP :
Also, just for info, if you look to the right of the camber adjust slider, you can also see the live camber there without having to activate the suspension view. Don't forget to drop the car after a camber adjustment so the live camber isn't falsified due to the deforming tyres.

Oh dear, how did I manage to outright ignore those values up to now? They're not really hidden are they? Must be some kind of complicated, undiagnosed neurosis to blame...
Quote from Cue-Ball :Agreed! I would like to see all the but most minor repairs take a dreadfully long time. In the real world you can't just swap control arms, shocks, and springs in 30 seconds. I think this is one of the few areas that nkPro is better than LFS.

"Pit stop damage repair takes twice as long"
why f1 car ?? make more drift cars!
I like the new patch, esp. AI improvements and changes to engine behavior. And I'm very thankfull of all the work spent by the devs, but beside that I'm quite upset on removing H-pattern from FXR and XRR as sequential gearboxes are really boring to me.
Quote from DaveWS :"Pit stop damage repair takes twice as long"

Yes, but "twice as long" is not long enough. Cars can still repair very severe damage in a minute or so, and can repair damage that in real life would be completely irreparable.

Increased damage and changes to the repair system are probably a discussion for another thread though, since so much needs to be addressed, and it's obviously not going to happen in this particular patch.
Quote from Travis Rowe01 :don't take out the XRT!! dont do it to us drifters.please.

I assure you the XRT is still in the game. It's not being removed.

Now, the demo on the other hand....
Quote from Bandit77 :even if it was "the same" to operate two paddles and a button clutch as handle a gearlever and a pedal-clutch (and there are hints that it's definitely not) it'd still be a joke cause you don't do it in reality - whereas in reality you do have systems that work like the old LFS sequential mode. so it's a realistic system that can be found in SOME cars. there is NO real world car where you have to push a button-clutch, release throttle, pull a lever, release the lever, release the clutch, step on throttle.
THAT's my point.

Why not just use the auto-clutch if you don't have a clutch pedal? Then all you have to do is lift off the throttle when changing up, and blip it when changing down. Why are you using a button for a clutch?

What I want to see next is significantly longer braking distances with locked up wheels. It should be hard to out-brake someone - it should be about who can maximise the braking force without going over the limit, and balance the car on the nose - not a simple matter of flattening the brake pedal, clicking a paddle as fast as you can and letting the computer keep the engine out of trouble for you.

These sorts of changes bring extra depth. More variables means more variety, more exciting battles for position, more driver skill and understanding needed rather than just twitch-gamer reflexes. This is good stuff - adapt and enjoy.
This thread is closed

TEST Patch X30 (to X38)
(1444 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG