The online racing simulator
GP Manager Pro
(587 posts, started )
Got 5* HQ! Can someone give me a quick explanation as to how the research thing works - as I'm planning on buying one. Would it be much benefit as I'm a non-contributor?

Thanks
Quote from J@tko :Got 5* HQ! Can someone give me a quick explanation as to how the research thing works - as I'm planning on buying one. Would it be much benefit as I'm a non-contributor?

Thanks

Short answer - Not really!

If you have money to spare, then by all means stick a bit in Research..I would suggest no more than level 2 or 3 TBH for a non-contributor...and get your stuff up to 120% across the board...then when you have even MORE cash laying around...bung the devs a fiver and go for broke!
Quote from Bladerunner :Short answer - Not really!

If you have money to spare, then by all means stick a bit in Research..I would suggest no more than level 2 or 3 TBH for a non-contributor...and get your stuff up to 120% across the board...then when you have even MORE cash laying around...bung the devs a fiver and go for broke!

Thanks for the answer!

I'll invest in my engines then. (Anyone want one?)

OH NOES!

7th division now...I is gonna get my a$$ handed to me on a plate

All stuff and facilities now at 170%, and needs LOTS of penneis now to get to 180%...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE buy my engines, nice peoples

Ultra 170... 170/170/100/170 (will go great on a chassis at 85% weight!! total 600Kg exact!)....only 2 million smackeroonies each...a bargain, innit?
I've just realised why none of my engines have sold yet - the new server. The people who usually would be leaping at my engines are on Zanardi Server, and I'm not. I was 2-3 seasons in at the server change, and so the newest people on the server will either have changed to the other one, or be wanting better engines than I have at the minute! Damn!
Quote from J@tko :I've just realised why none of my engines have sold yet - the new server. The people who usually would be leaping at my engines are on Zanardi Server, and I'm not. I was 2-3 seasons in at the server change, and so the newest people on the server will either have changed to the other one, or be wanting better engines than I have at the minute! Damn!

You sure about that? There are still 49 divisions on the Hill server and quite a few people are in their 1st or 2nd year.

I think it's more to do with the fact that offer is generally larger than demand in the lower to middle ranges. Personnally I have only had one engine customer in 9 years and I really try to keep prices low. I never offered an engine for more than 5-8% over production costs, but they didn't sell.

edit: btw, 11th division now, I hope I can kick some behinds with tristan's engine
Quote from Linsen :You sure about that? There are still 49 divisions on the Hill server and quite a few people are in their 1st or 2nd year.

Is it that new - god, it seems ages since they did that!
I'm in 4th div now
Working on my 200 overall engine and copying tristan's plan of sacrificing component weight for reliability
Hm, so I've got a 200% engine, a 5* tech dep. with 250 assistants running at 140% efficiency, Pat Symmonds as tech director and a 75% chassis with 100% stability. Actual weight of chassis & engine is at minimum. However, I'm .260 seconds slower in qualifying than Cam Racing. I should actually be faster, though, considering that Cam Racing is not contributing (so tech dep. can only run at 120% maximum) and using a MacLaren chassis (which is definitely worse than my own chassis).

My question is: Why am I slower? I can only make out two possible reasons. One would be that I need a better Test driver to do practice laps and thus work on setups (a 5* driver?). Second possible reason would be that race/qualifying performance is dependant on years in sport. Those are the only two areas where Cam Racing is ahead of me. I suspect it must be the quality of the test driver. Can anyone confirm that?

I'd really appreciate an answer, as I'm a little lost right now.

Thx,

Linsen
Are you drivers 100% all round? Motivation is a big slowness factor too - 100% motivated drivers MUCH quicker than 80% motivation.
Quote from tristancliffe :Are you drivers 100% all round? Motivation is a big slowness factor too - 100% motivated drivers MUCH quicker than 80% motivation.

Yep, N°1 and N°2 drivers both at 100% all around. My only week point is the test driver.

Edit: Who is Cam Racing anyway? Team owner is Honest T -- I hope that nomen est omen here . What are your times at Magny Cours, Tristan? I've got a 1:15.994 and a 1:15.995. Is that fast?
Is there better stratigy then 3 stopper?

basicaly before i tried this i was always getting 7th and 8th in the races then i switched to 3 stop stratigy and put aggresstion to peg it and i get a podium every race now.
My Practice Times:
2nd: 1m14.943
3rd: 1m14.965
8th: 1m15.000

My Qualifying Times:
1st: 1.14.570
5th 1m14.599

So you're quicker than my 3rd driver in practice

Edit: Mustafar - All races require a different strategy. Some are quicker with one stop, others with 2, 3 or 4. Don't just stick with 3 stop regardless. Peg It will increase the chances of retirements and driver injuries.
Ok im going a 3 and 4 stop stratagy here.

My practise times:
4th 1:16.748(3rd driver)
5th 1:16.752
6th 1:16 787

Qualifying:
3rd 1:16.308
6th 1:16.342
Quote from tristancliffe :My Practice Times:

My Qualifying Times:
5th 1m14.599

So you're quicker than my 3rd driver in practice

I'm almost 1 second slower than your 3rd driver in practice.

Are those your times in damp conditions? If so, the reason for you being so much faster could probably be attributed to the fact that your tech department probably runs at 200% efficiency whereas mine is only at 140% and that your chassis is much better. So forget the comparison, it doens't make much sense, I suppose.

The question remains: Why am I so much slower than a team which is worse than mine? The only thing that seems to make any sense, actually is the poor quality of my test driver. Please, can anyone confirm that? I don't want to waste money on a 3rd 5* driver if it's not necessary.

Edit: Mustafar, try this calculator to figure out the best pit strategy: http://teop.org/stopcalc.php
It works rather well, as far as I can tell.
Nope, dry weekend for me. Are yours damp times?

I'm doing a two stop race this time around.
Quote from Linsen :I'm almost 1 second slower than your 3rd driver in practice.

Are those your times in damp conditions? If so, the reason for you being so much faster could probably be attributed to the fact that your tech department probably runs at 200% efficiency whereas mine is only at 140% and that your chassis is much better. So forget the comparison, it doens't make much sense, I suppose.

The question remains: Why am I so much slower than a team which is worse than mine? The only thing that seems to make any sense, actually is the poor quality of my test driver. Please, can anyone confirm that? I don't want to waste money on a 3rd 5* driver if it's not necessary.

Edit: Mustafar, try this calculator to figure out the best pit strategy: http://teop.org/stopcalc.php
It works rather well, as far as I can tell.

thanks
According to the information i should go with a 2 stopper so Im on a two stopper now
Quote from tristancliffe :Nope, dry weekend for me. Are yours damp times?

I'm doing a two stop race this time around.

Yes, damp times. I thought the conditions were the same independant of division, but apparantly they're not. I didn't keep track of my times until now, so I don't know dry times.

Two stops for me also. And btw, according to my experience, the pit calculator really makes a difference on tracks where four stops are the way to go, as most teams don't do more than three stops.
Quote from tristancliffe :My Practice Times:

My Qualifying Times:
5th 1m14.599

Qualified with both cars on front of grid.

FWIW to the other poster...Magny Cours worked out as a TWO stop strategy for me! (using teh almighty magical pit stop calculator thingymabob)
Woohoo for inactive Divisions!
Inactice leagues are boring. Sure, you win, but that's too easy to be fun.

Well, I'm actually posting, because I somehow feel cheated, probably by the system somehow. Here it goes:

As expected, I finished 3rd and 4th in 1st race, which were my qualifying positions. And as described above, I don't understand why I'm not faster than my competitor Cam Racing. I should be better in just about every aspect except for test driver quality, so I'd expect to be at least equally fast as him, but I'm quite a bit slower.

The other thing I noticed (actually I already noticed this before, but I think I can call it confirmed now) is that my pitting times have not improved in a long time. Even though I now have a better tech manager and a tech department running at 140%. Last time at Magny Cours I had a worse tech manager and my department was running at 100% iirc. So shouldn't my pitting times be lower now? I should think so, as that is one of the main reasons for sinking all that cash into research.

I think I will be posting this in the bugs reporting forum over at GPMP, cause something is fishy here.
mmm.../me is now officially baffled

Pole and 2nd in quali...led race start to finish, 1 - 2 for my drivers...1 second between them, and a FULL 18 seconds back to third place...all with a 170 spec engine...

he he..you can keep your expensive 200's
I was also baffled, in my last 12th devision i finished 1-2 every single race and totally pwned the division to my surprise as the previous 13th devision i finished 3rd in the team championship. Nothing really changed between the 13 and then 12th division so i don't know why it was so easy.

Now i am in the 10th division.

btw I have a question, does anyone bother with the second company? i have invested some serious cash but i still make merchandise that falls apart in the wash LOL

mad
Quote from Madman_CZ :I

btw I have a question, does anyone bother with the second company? i have invested some serious cash but i still make merchandise that falls apart in the wash LOL

mad

Currently getting 6.25 million PER RACE from my second company...invested 100 million in company, and invest to level 6 (so far) in Facilities screen
I have invested 21 million and have the company up to level 5 in research and it is currently sitting 19th in the world.

It does help that you get some nice cash in return.

GP Manager Pro
(587 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG