The online racing simulator
The Streets of South City
(26 posts, started )
Hello,
I have an issue as some others might also have.

Have you ever noticed that the streets of South City are more slippery than any of the other roads? The first time I noticed it was with the BF1. Don't even think about South City with the BF1, it's like driving after freezing rain! I thought that it may have just been because of the slicks! Well, the LX's are the same! No grip!
I'm using same setups, but my braking distances are MUCH longer! My wheels just slid across the road, it's horrible!

Have any of you noticed South City to be slippery, or is it just me?
-LoganC-

P.S. I'm proud of myself, I cut down on my exclamation points! I normally use a lot!
It's just bumpier. The rest of the LFS world is as flat as a pancake. I think Eric got his mum to iron the circuits for him.
#3 - amp88
Think about it this way. The rest of the tracks in LFS are purpose built racing circuits with proper surfaces, they should be more grippy than a street circuit that's made of normal roads that cars drive on every day (if it were a real street circuit anyway). In real life racing street circuits are crowned (i.e. the road isn't cambered in one direction like most dedicated tracks, but they drop off on each side of the middle, for drainage) and they're covered in white lines, parking bays, drain covers etc. The SO tracks SHOULD have less grip than the other, purpose built circuits.
So you say they should, which I understand what you are saying and it does make sense. Thanks

But I wonder if SO was purposely made to be less grippy, or if when Eric made it, it just happened to be less.

Just to get an idea, I'll do some test's tomorrow. Braking tests, to see if it is, and/or how much less grip.

-LoganC-
#5 - Gunn
It's bumpier for a start, and off-camber on some turns. An appropriate setup will improve grip immensely. It is also bordered by armco and that fenced-in sensation means it is risky to use the whole track as you might on a conventional circuit. A good setup, some regular practice, and a spoonful of confidence should improve your experience at SO.
Street circuits usually are slippery by comparison in real life. Personally, I think all the circuits in LFS have the same grip. I don't notice any difference between them.
Fern Bay also has a slippery surface. If you take one of the single seaters out with a setup for blackwood or aston and it feels like driving on ice. Could just be me though
South City should have less grip in relation to real life but I can't say I have ever noticed a difference in grip between the tracks in LFS at all.
To be honest I don't notice any real difference. I do love the SO tracks though, especially SO Long, which is my favourite of all the LFS tracks.
westhill in the XRR on a WR setup seems very slippery to me
While I have never noticed less traction It's also the favorite track of mine so I might be biased. Also, any road car as well as the Fox and LX's are just great on SO. GTR needs a bit more space IMO so proper tracks are more suitable. Just tweak your set accordingly and you should be fine. (FYI I use my BL set for the xrg on SO with great results, so I guess it's not really that big of a difference.)
I think it's just quite bumpy, as Kev said earlier.
I hope it never changes, racing around SO in an F08 is about the single biggest rush you can have in LFS.
Quote from GFresh :racing around SO in an F08 is about the single biggest rush you can have in LFS.

you got that right!
#15 - Goop
Quote from LoganC :P.S. I'm proud of myself, I cut down on my exclamation points! I normally use a lot!

The first step is admitting you have a problem Congratulations! I only counted eight exclamation marks....
..... er, eight, plus the three in your sig :cyclops:
My only grammatical vice is full-stops [*cough* periods]; though I do like dashes and semi-colons a lot, too..............

Yeah, SO is bouncy - use a higher set.
Okay, I'll try to cut down. I like to use a lot of comma's though, but I use them in well placed areas.

Alright, well I'll play around with the suspension a little and see what I come up with. And you're right, having it closed in makes a huge difference. I think that I can get closer to the wall, but I forget about the curb. I'd much rather go spinning into the grass, than smashing off of a wall. The crashes at SO are no worse, they are just contagious. (They cause more, and block the road.)
Thank you all for your replies.
BTW, maybe I notice it a little bit more when braking because I can't ease on or off the brake. With my pedals, it's either full or off. I just adjust my setup accordingly.
-LoganC-
I grew up on the streets of South City. The surface there is much slippery there due to the dried blood and shell casings that collect on the apex's and around the 100m markers. When the police shut my neighborhood down for crime scenes (Around turn 4) they pour Coke Cola on the ground to clean it up. Just adds to the loss of grip.

South SIIIDDDDEEE!!!
represent yo
hahaha Coke-cola! That should make it more grippy! When that stuff dries, man does it ever get sticky!

I think another for me that may make it seem more slippery is that I don't get as many FPS in SouthCity, so it when I start to brake, I'm really slightly farther than what I thought. No, it doesn't make a huge difference, but it sure doesn't help!
-LoganC-
South City isn't any more slippery. Although there are certain sections where there are bumps. Once you do about 10 laps of a given config in SO, you get a feel for where the bumps are. I did several laps of SO Sprint1, and around a certain turn (I can't remember off the top of my head), I figured out where there is a bump that kept causing me to oversteer. I Just go closer around the inside, and avoid the bump. Sometimes it is faster to go around a bump then to go over it and have to correct oversteer, understeer, tire lockup, or something.
Yeah, there is this sweet hill in SO and I can never seem to get it right without going 90 degrees and just letting the car go down, so I am pretty sure that it is mostly how the track is so bumpy.

Ironically, it's the city that is so bumpy.

But some places in Fern Bay are pretty sweet 'grass surfing' (best LFS Sport ever) areas.

I guess that's what may cause SO to be that much more difficult, besides being so tight.
One reason I like SO is that it forces people to race proper and realistic. Most other tracks people either cut, run kerbs hard, etc without consequences. That's not possible on SO (for the most part) as touching any kerb on SO means heavy damage.

While I love FE as a track, I hate the way people race on it. So much kerb hopping, cutting and grass surfing that it really makes it extremely unrealistic.
Once we get proper susp. damage on kerbs however, this issue will be solved.
I love south city as a track the racing line is there! You get people who DEFEND their line, knowing that outside is harder to pass. You get race craft there, close racing, gnarly hills and chicanes, tight turns with lots and lots of great overtaking points, slipstreaming straights and cars sliding out on entry and exits of corners. Definately makes for some of the best action.
Quote from gohfeld23 :One reason I like SO is that it forces people to race proper and realistic. Most other tracks people either cut, run kerbs hard, etc without consequences. That's not possible on SO (for the most part) as touching any kerb on SO means heavy damage.

Not really... You can get away pretty well most of the time (if you're driving just over the limit and not like a complete fool that is), it's when you hit any curbstones sticking out under the armcos things get nasty...
SO is awesome. i love the long track, in the reverse direction. the last hard right (almost a U turn) before winding back to the main straight is one of the most exhilarating turns i've found in the game so far!
Quote from bbman :Not really... You can get away pretty well most of the time (if you're driving just over the limit and not like a complete fool that is), it's when you hit any curbstones sticking out under the armcos things get nasty...

I guess you're right in general but I just came from racing FOX there and while some rubbing can be done, even a slightly harder touch will get you off the ground (resulting in some very cool damage)

It obviously depends on the vehicle but the track is still much less forgiving on longer races then most tracks as one can build up good amount of damage within 3-4 laps.

(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG