The online racing simulator

Poll : Do you agree with the "forced cockpit view" option?

Yes, I agree.
No! It should be removed.
It should be removed until it is further developed. Because it removes a lot of flexibility for other things. (Not referring to other views for the player)
who cares, everyone is freaking out about it and it's just an option that will be used only for some leagues. The same thing happened in rfactor when they implemented this... everyone was like shit, it's the end of the world... but guess what, the apocalypse hasn't happened so I'm sure everyone is safe. It's not even hard to get used to cockpit view and even if you were forced to use it, I guarantee you would still be running the same laptimes with practice.
I wonder how many among the 70% supporting this option did realize it forbids custom cockpit views...
I think most people using a larger FOV than default have to move the cockpit view forward.
Forced cockpit I agree in, I am not sure I agree in the fixed viewpoint though, we should have some lee-way on moving the eyepoint
Quote from Dizman :I'm yet to see where the advantage in using wheels view is. As others have pointed out you don't look where the wheels are positioned, you look ahead to where your heading. I use wheels and other custom views basically because they give me a better sense of everything around me an a much clearer view. Much more then the restrictive cockpit view.

In the end it, just like set ups, it ultimately depends on the driver and not the view. The sooner you realize this, the better.

Question in blue, answer in red. Nuff said.
Generally agree but what's with the spectatormode on FCOV Servers? There are only 3 Cams aviable TV, Cockpit and Heli.
For all to acknowledge you I roll also primarily me for wheels with all the “closed” cars. On the other hand in the single-seaters, I love to use the sight cockpit, while activating and by correctly regulating the animated sight and the Jets effects (the head which leaves behind has acceleration, or which leaves on the right in a left turn) I find that that really brings more to this simulation. One likes or one does not like.
Point out that is only one option, it does not have nothing obligatory A there to use it, I really do not understand this polemic that you make “simple” dune around one more option offered moreover. And forgiveness of in boring some but for me all those which roll for 3D are not worthy to play on LFS and would make better turn to a play of arcarde game.
I see nothing wrong with racing from the T-bar view on single seaters, and a lot of custom views allow for easier visibility around the car. I'm not one for chase cams but I do use a lot of custom views. Also a lot of people use wheels view because of the fps hit that the cockpit causes (maybe this is fixed with LFS' new viewport system?)

In any case I only see advantages to forced cockpit view in autocross events, which is probably why it has been implemented with the LX competition this month.

So i'm not in favour of the current implementation. I think if we are to have enforced cockpit view then I would like to see it restricted to any point at or forward of the drivers head - so that custom views can still be used.
We need damn custom views. I don't find forcing cockpit view fair. If I find FM implenting that then im gonna...
Quote from Becky Rose :I think if we are to have enforced cockpit view then I would like to see it restricted to any point at or forward of the drivers head - so that custom views can still be used.

+1, this looks good!
With this restriction one can make all custom views that "correct" the lack of visibility, immersion and sense of speed of cockpit view, without getting any unfair advantage.

One can make roof view or bonnet view, or move slightly forward to compensate large FOV, one can't see the wheels, one can't see the entire car, one can make custom view for special display like shutter glasses...etc.
If another view makes such a difference, why haven't I heard anyone complaining Mark Webber has an advantage?
I don't think it should be forced. Here are my reasons:

* I think that custom vieiws are more realistic in many ways. Your arms and the steering wheel don't dominate your view in real life. I can already see arms and a steering whell in front of me when I play LFS. Why do I need to see two lots? FTR, I use a custom bonnet view.
*It is obviously too divisive for the community. A divided community is bad.
* Forcing 'no third person' views would have been much better if it is possible (see point 1 for reason).
Quote from Burnzoire :Question in blue, answer in red. Nuff said.

Yeah, i like to have a greater sense and clearer vision of what's around me on the track. I didn't think this was as much as an advantage as it was common sense. If you can get comfortable in the cockpit view then more power to you but personally the standard cockpits views are not close to a real car, in terms of field of view and sense. I think the best way i can describe driving in the cockpit view is like being in a drive in.

Like i said before, imo, it's driver skill that's the advantage, not the view.
While I'm normally for giving as much choice as possible, I have to point out that LFS is a simulator and in real life you can't choose to fly behind your own car or lie between the front wheels just because you want a better view.

This means that those of us who treat the game as if we're racing for real can race together, and those who treat it like a game can also stick together.

Don't forget that is is an option, so any servers who want to have people using whatever view can disable it.
I think as long as the "camera" is placed along a line running fore-to-aft through the driver's seat, and as long as nothing solid is magically vanished out of sight, then that view can be considered as realistic as any. It's not fair to force cockpit view when many racers use (arguably more realistic) custom views.
Quote from sinbad :I think as long as the "camera" is placed along a line running fore-to-aft through the driver's seat, and as long as nothing solid is magically vanished out of sight, then that view can be considered as realistic as any. It's not fair to force cockpit view when many racers use (arguably more realistic) custom views.

I agree with that. Perhaps 'Custom View' can be considered 'Cockpit View' if all the axis are within 150mm (which is the most movement you'd get realistically, even if you rewelded the seat mountings).
im all for it cause its not a sim when you are not even then the car !! because if your simulating the driving you should be at least behind the wheel
Quote from tristancliffe :I agree with that. Perhaps 'Custom View' can be considered 'Cockpit View' if all the axis are within 150mm (which is the most movement you'd get realistically, even if you rewelded the seat mountings).

I agree. Just rejig the incar view, which already allows FOV adjustments to include restricted XYZ and pitch. 150mm seems okay - I use much, much less than that.
i'm a bit short... could someone raise my seat? I cannot see my bonnet
Although I always drive in cockpit view, I think it may be too hard a limitation for people who prefer other views. So I voted against it.
I normally use the 'wheels' type view but am in favour of forced cockpit view - it's particularly useful for league racing for a flatter playing field.

It's an option - if I join a race with fcv I always have the choice of joining with fcv or leaving & going somewhere else.
Lots of "Well, it's only an option" comments. Problem is, it is a server option and if leagues that I currently drive in use it then I am at a disadvantage.

This doesn't mean I am against realism. Wheels or Chase view could be prohibited and that fits in with the realism, but I would like some flexibility in the cockpit view akin to seating adjustments.

BTW, In my car (which is a XFR copy - well, Pug 306) I can see the bonnet from my seat.
I think that nearly everyone would agree that some adjustment in forced cockpit is needed.
Quote from danowat :I think that nearly everyone would agree that some adjustment in forced cockpit is needed.

Agreed, the poll could have done with better options.
Quote from Vilante 11 :Yes but can I move myself closer to the windscreen and a little left or right to suit my set up?

No. That's why people have been suggesting a limited amount of X, Y, Z and pitch adjustment, which would effectively give you an 'adjustable seat' facility.
This thread is closed

Do you agree with the "forced cockpit view" option
(314 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG