The online racing simulator

Poll : Do you agree with the "forced cockpit view" option?

Yes, I agree.
No! It should be removed.
Quote from The Very End :When looking on the pool the result was pretty clear - that we got a pretty divided oppinion about it. It was not like 75% that said this would be a good idea (someone mentioned that only 25% of LFS people, known as acrade racers use chase-view and other arcadish cameras), but almost 40%, something that is a considerebal big amount.

Just because someone doesn't vote for cockpit view, does not mean he does not use cockpit view. I will only use cockpit view, but couldn't care less what others use as there is more handicaps using wheels/chase view than benefits.

And I can't vote in the poll. Like I said, I couldn't care less what view you use, thus couldn't care less if the option is there or not. I use cockpit view, thus it won't affect me either way.

Oh, and those who use other views will probably try cockpit view now and see the benefits of the "look to apex" and "g-force head movement" options that help in understanding more what the car is doing compared to a static view of the wheels or chase cam.
Quote :And I can't vote in the poll. Like I said, I couldn't care less what view you use, thus couldn't care less if the option is there or not. I use cockpit view, thus it won't affect me either way.

There you have it, as long the things don`t affect you everything is allright?
Quote from DeadWolfBones :We've all gotten the fact that you're vehemently opposed to this change. No need to continue spamming that fact.

Since when showing your arguments is spamming?

I'm opposed to the change, the way it was so radically implemented, but I would accept it with some changes already suggested.
Quote from eRaptor :Since when showing your arguments is spamming?

All I'm saying is you've got ~75 posts so far on this forum and I'd bet my left nut that more than half are you protesting this update.
Many people doesn`t write that much, but they writes when something comes up that they like to discuss about, like on this case.
And beside, he has been member for over a year, so he isn`t exactly completely new to the forum.

Well sorry, that was pretty off topic
Quote from The Very End :Well sorry, that was pretty off topic

Well, so was mine. I'm gonna shut up now.

Everything's been said that can be said about this topic, I think.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Well, so was mine. I'm gonna shut up now.

Everything's been said that can be said about this topic, I think.

For once I agree with you, theres nothing more to been said in this topic or about this subject.

The options is implented in LFS, hopefully this doesn`t mean that a lot of servers will use it. If it does I will not wait one second to come and whine again.

Best whises from your Whine Captain.
Quote from eRaptor :Since when showing your arguments is spamming?

I'm opposed to the change, the way it was so radically implemented, but I would accept it with some changes already suggested.

Don't know if you are spamming, but your avatar clearly demonstrates without any doubt that chase view may not be realistic, but can be highly entertaining.
the problem i have is that I can't see the front of the car in most views. forces view fixes that a bit but its super unrealistic
Quote from mrodgers :You are no longer in the driver's seat with that view, are you? Or do you routinely drive your tintop sitting on the center console with the gearstick between your knees?

10 points. You win a paper hat.

I don't drive anything with a roof or a centre console. I ride a bike, where I'm central and have no dashboard in front of my face, which is how I like to drive on LFS. Having a bit empty area ahead and to the left confuses the bejeezus out of me and disorientates me quite a bit. Being slap bang in the centre of the car (But, the bonnet cam eliminates all the "Waaah, waaah, you can see the wheels!" moaning people are doing) helps because it's what I'm used to.

You people who actually drive will be used to cockpit view in one way or another, but I'd imagine there's a few more people like me who feel in more control and more at home with their view in the centre of the car.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :This feature was clearly implemented so quickly solely to keep the LX Month event from becoming a farce, and I have little doubt that he'll take the opinions here into account in future patches.

There's no risk of it becoming a farce.

It's like F1 in the mixed aspiration days. If you want to be competitive use turbo/in this case, wheels view.

However, FCV with seat adjustment is a good idea as it is used in some other sims. Maybe any position provided
  • It is in front of a line across the length of the car marked by the back of the driver's head when in the furthest back a real life car seat on that sort of car would go.
  • Behind the windscreen.
  • On the width of the car (I.E. From the left of the cockpit to the right of the cockpit) it is within 5 centimetres for single seaters and within 7 for tintops.
  • Height is free so long as it is no higher than the roof of the car, or, in the case of single seaters/other cars with no roof, no higher than the highest point of the car.
Quote from AK-Chester :No one forces you to join a server that uses forced cockpit view (if you should find any, that is).

That's 100% correct. If there is 6 servers that are using forced cockpit view, I always have the freedom to ignore them and go race on the servers with 1-2 other players.

What all you guys are demanding is that since you think that your view is so uber realistic, that is the only view that you want to use. But since others are using a custom view, they "might" get an advantage over you and thus, 30% of all racers must drive the view you like.

Basically what this means is that you don't want to use the cockpit view and you want to stop everyone else from using it. That's pretty arrogant and self-centered.

This "you can go to another server, if you want" is total BS and you all know it. We only have 5-6 servers with normal amount of cars running.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Do you ever step back from a situation and realize that you're prematurely reacting (overreacting) to something? Give it a week or two to see how things play out. If it goes badly, I have little doubt that it will be tailored to suit the community.

We've all gotten the fact that you're vehemently opposed to this change. No need to continue spamming that fact.

Yeah, how would you feel if I told you that Scawen just implemented the option for servers to force GTA1 type view AND 68% of all racers are voting that everybody be forced to use this view. Suddenly you see a very big chance the only game you play might change totally to a different type and you don't want it to. DAMN RIGHT YOU WOULD FEEL UPSET AND WORRIED. You'd be shooting out ten posts a day in this thread.
Quote from PLAYLIFE :That's 100% correct. If there is 6 servers that are using forced cockpit view, I always have the freedom to ignore them and go race on the servers with 1-2 other players.

Y'know... If I go online and find six servers that are either running GTRs at AS3 or FOX at BL1, I have the freedom to ignore them and race on the servers with decent combos and 1-2 other players.

Welcome to my world for the last two years.
the problem i have for some reason is that with my monitor which is a 28in widescreen, is that from the cockpit i have no mirrors. and don't say use the virtual mirror because that wouldn't be realistic.

so i use this custom view. which is not that bad me thinks.
IRL, you can only see just a bit of the tires. and barely see the mirrors .
anyone else rememebr how nick heidfield described how much/little he could see from the cockpit?
How can people argue that the cockpit view is best because it is more realistic? Do you drive your car by looking at a 19" lcd screen that is 3 feet in front of you, no you don't, so there will NEVER BE A WAY for the view in LFS to be absolutely realistic. So limiting it to just the cockpit view doesn't make any sense when being allowed to adjust your viewpoint can allow you to better take advantage of the limited ability to view things through your screen.

That's not an argument saying chase cam should be allowed for all servers, or the other views that give a possible advantage, I usually only ever use the chase view when watching another car and want to better see what lines they are taking. But taking away the option to do that on a server is just annoying.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Y'know... If I go online and find six servers that are either running GTRs at AS3 or FOX at BL1, I have the freedom to ignore them and race on the servers with decent combos and 1-2 other players.

Welcome to my world for the last two years.

I used to drive keyboard for over a year, so you'll get no sympathy from me
I never use anything else than Cocpit view, but nevertheless i voted for
removing the forced view option. It's the peoples choice which view they use
I hate it. I was today on an Autocross server and I felt like a bird in a cage. Remove this crappy option.

I drove chase cam for over 2 years now because LFS has like every Racing Game offered the ability to do this. And now? I must relearn driving. Thx. Scawen. Remove it. Please.
Quote from BrandonAGr :How can people argue that the cockpit view is best because it is more realistic? Do you drive your car by looking at a 19" lcd screen that is 3 feet in front of you, no you don't, so there will NEVER BE A WAY for the view in LFS to be absolutely realistic. So limiting it to just the cockpit view doesn't make any sense when being allowed to adjust your viewpoint can allow you to better take advantage of the limited ability to view things through your screen.

That's not an argument saying chase cam should be allowed for all servers, or the other views that give a possible advantage, I usually only ever use the chase view when watching another car and want to better see what lines they are taking. But taking away the option to do that on a server is just annoying.

I highlighted the important word above. Note that "more" doesn't mean "most possible under any circumstances". You cannot ever say that floating magically behind your virtual car WHILST looking through a 19" LCD screen 3 feet away is MORE realistic than cockpit?
Quote from Anathema :I felt like a bird in a cage. Remove this crappy option.

You mean like a racing driver in a race car?
With all this moaning over realistic things it's higly unlikely we will ever get engine failures ("i hate you scawen, i played 2 years with unbreakable engine, now i have to learn again, remove it") brake and water heating, etc...
It wouldn't surprise me if NO reset would be canceled in next patch..
Quote from Boris Lozac :You mean like a racing driver in a race car?
With all this moaning over realistic things it's higly unlikely we will ever get engine failures ("i hate you scawen, i played 2 years with unbreakable engine, now i have to learn again, remove it") brake and water heating, etc...
It wouldn't surprise me if NO reset would be canceled in next patch..

I was just thinking the same thing

It is going to (continue to) be a very unpleasant place here as people continue to lament the development of this game. Balancing, Resets, now this. The worst is yet to come with damage modeling, etc.
Quote from PLAYLIFE :Yeah, how would you feel if I told you that Scawen just implemented the option for servers to force GTA1 type view AND 68% of all racers are voting that everybody be forced to use this view. Suddenly you see a very big chance the only game you play might change totally to a different type and you don't want it to. DAMN RIGHT YOU WOULD FEEL UPSET AND WORRIED. You'd be shooting out ten posts a day in this thread.

As I understand the polls, 68% of people are most definitely NOT voting that everyone be forced to use the in-car view. They are voting that the OPTION should be present for server admins to determine what view their drivers use. That's a very different thing.
I think the cockpit view in LFS isnt comparable with a real life cockpit. Why dont we ban all mouse and keyboard players because they have an unrealistic input?
Forcing people to do something they normally dont do is definitly a step in the wrong direction.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG