The online racing simulator
S2 Patch X10
(314 posts, closed, started )
Quote from DaveWS :+ 1 from me for the cockpit only view. I believe wheels only gives an unfair advantage.

Sure thing, but now forced cockpit view will give an enourmous advantage to those used to cockpit view over those who used to drive in wheels view...

If you believe wheels view is advantageous, then just drive with it...
This subject will never be resolved. A bit like religion. At the end of the day we worship at whichever alter we think is right. If someone chooses to run his server with fcv you simply don't go on it. In the same way you don't go on servers that have pitstops or wind or a track you don't like or a car you don't like. Easy.
Quote from rc10racer :You talk out of your ass, i can kick you ass in chase view and still be 100% cleaner diver then you. What makes chase view so dangerous in your eyes because there no mirrors.

I agree with you. And why not add mirrors to chase view then?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Here, allow custom views as "cockpit" as long as they have body enabled, and fit within bounds of x, where x is just the interior?

dawes, thats a good idea.

It would void the so called "unfair advantage" from using wheels view, and let people customise a view inside car.
Dont get the discussion. Its not Need for Speed after all. In your own car at home you are also at the dash. An Netkarpro wont allow it also. Those views are for spectators only. Just my 5 cents.
Quote from DeKo :On the subject of chase view. Those who race chase view, and im not suggesting you arent clean fast racers etc, but how do you know whats behind you with no mirrors or look behind? Im not saying your shite, just wondering.

It's all about sound and just load of knowledge of where the car are at a certain point. Many people know what view i use and how clean i can be with chase view and how much room i can give for different occasions.
First time I see a patch topic transformed into a flamewar
Quote from Maelstrom :First time I see a patch topic transformed into a flamewar

Yea because is not on forcing people to drive a view that they don't/won't use.
Quote :I'd prefer to have an option to disallow chase view mode than to force a specific view TBH

Why?

Ok, if the future of LFS is going to have "forbid chase-view", then I`m not going to play it. Well, call me stupid for that, but I mean it. If we are not allowed to race on way we have been used for, for 3 years now, why should we suddently not be allowed to race that way anymore?

And tell me, all the ones with WR or fast times, that probally are used to cockpit veiw, what would YOU say if all servers suddently turned out to - Chase Veiw only or something? You would hated it.
Understand?

It`s good that feutures comes for LFS, but this is the most awfull one I belive I have heard. You simply can`t just force, or you can, but point is - why change this now, after 3 years I should not be allowed to use the driving veiw I always has done? In every game I play I use 3th person veiw, maybe because I`m a n00b, but I like it that way. And beside ... u get better FPS outside car than cockpit veiw.

But I do understand, that this does not mean that every server will have it, but I guess every big and known servers probally would have it, and then I probally will be stucked racing against myself alone on a track

Come on, it`s up to people to chose what veiw they want to race with, don`t take away that joy from me. If I am forced to play cockpit veiw, it will be like all from start again. I tried to race with it, but the lap times I get are like 3 sec slower than when I use 3th person veiw.

Please, please don`t do this to us poor n00bs that cant drive your fancy fancy super realistic veiw
Quote from rc10racer :Yea because is not on forcing people to drive a view that they don't/won't use.

It's only forcing cockpit view on a server,"people" aren't being forced to do anything. If you don't like using cockpit view just join a server that has the option disabled. But you'll have to choose the server yourself, nobody can force you to join it.
Quote from Gunn :It's only forcing cockpit view on a server,"people" aren't being forced to do anything. If you don't like using cockpit view just join a server that has the option disabled. But you'll have to choose the server yourself, nobody can force you to join it.

But again, probally all popular servers will use that options, so us "n00bs" that use other veiws - have to find other servers to play on, and that will limit the choises ALOT.
Quote from Gunn :It's only forcing cockpit view on a server,"people" aren't being forced to do anything. If you don't like using cockpit view just join a server that has the option disabled. But you'll have to choose the server yourself, nobody can force you to join it.

If the result is that we can't find combo we like anymore should we be happy about it?
Quote from The Very End :But again, probally all popular servers will use that options, so us "n00bs" that use other veiws - have to find other servers to play on, and that will limit the choised ALOT.

Honestly, cockpit view can be mastered in just a few days, so I'd love to see more people persevering with it. I'm sure many would be surprised how quickly they would adapt.

There's no need for a dramatic response from so many people, this is a great server-side option that many server admins will find appealing as will many racers. But I wouldn't be too concerned about there being no servers using arcade views, I expect there will still be plenty.
Scawen, Without changing anything in my current config (except adding the force cockpit view setting) by default it is telling me that the config file is too long. is there any chance the limit can be increased? to save having to remove the notes above each setting?.

Thanks.
Just had a look at the server list, 4 servers using forced view, all of which are lx month servers. I very much dob't many pickup servers will use this option, and it will be used for leagues and the like only.
Quote from Gunn :Honestly, cockpit view can be mastered in just a few days, so I'd love to see more people persevering with it. I'm sure many would be surprised how quickly they would adapt.

There's no need for a dramatic response from so many people, this is a great server-side option that many server admins will find appealing as will many racers. But I wouldn't be too concerned about there being no servers using arcade views, I expect there will still be plenty.

It`s not that easy.
Try going to my "arcade" veiw, and see if you handle that easy. It`s not that easy to just change you driving style after some years, it`s like starting LFS all over again. Please understand.
Beside, how long did it take for you to master LFS and drive good times?
Probally a good time, and even if I have raced some years in chase-veiw, it doesn`t help me when I go to cokcpit veiw, it`s completely different, like it was a other game for me :/

We are all different, and we all have different ways we like things, therfor I mean we should keep the old system where everyone should be allowed to play with the veiw they want. But I guess I just have to join those emty servers in the future..
Quote from The Very End :But again, probally all popular servers will use that options, so us "n00bs" that use other veiws - have to find other servers to play on, and that will limit the choised ALOT.

Exactly!

That's so.. so...

The view to drive from should allways be an option from the client's side, not the server's.

Some said nkpro has this view only...
- That's Right, nkpro don't have the track minimap either, or the tire display, that's why I don't drive it and never will, because I don't like it.
I purchased LFS because I like it the way it is (was), and because I'm able to drive the way I like it and I can enjoy driving it.

Thats a false argument, that you join a server only if you want, bla bla...
(I know that there are a lot of pseudo hardcore elite drivers that think you're only a simdriver if you use the cockpit view, and that you're good only if you drive that way... That's of course not true.)
And this idea will make the most popular servers and leagues to use that option, pushing away good drivers, and make it impossible for them to participate, pushing them away from LFS...

P.S. I'm still waiting for someone to point me positive things on having this option!
Quote from eRaptor :Exactly!

Thats a false argument, that you join a server only if you want, bla bla...
(I know that there are a lot of pseudo hardcore elite drivers that think you're only a simdriver if you use the cockpit view, and that you're good only if you drive that way... That's of course not true.)
And this idea will make the most popular servers and leagues to use that option, pushing away good drivers, and make it impossible for them to participate, pushing them away from LFS...

No it bloody won't! ffs, 4 servers have it set as i said before. Why does it mean that all the servers are going to use forced view? At most a few will. I dob't the popular servers like redline racing and cone dodgers are going to use it and push out players.
Quote from mr_x :I don't like forced cockpit option, due to the fact I don't like the position of the cockpit camera so I use custom views. The only way I'd accept it would be if the 'driver seat' was adjustable (forwards/backwards, up/down)

Yeah, an adjustable seat would be nice - maybe some kind of 'restricted' X, Y, Z axis and pitch adjustment.

I use cockpit view but usually go to custom just to shift the view up a little to bring the horizon a bit more clear of the bonnet.

Provided the adjustments are restricted so you can't position yourself outside the car, it wouldn't be unrealistic I don't think.
Quote from Vykos69 :
- customcam available for spectators pls (especially for streaming, watching league races with roof-cam e.g.)
- POV (not fov) adjustable in cockpitview. Meaning moving the position of the virtual eyes to front/back and up/down to some extent.

+1
Quote from The Very End :It`s not that easy.
Try going to my "arcade" veiw, and see if you handle that easy. It`s not that easy to just change you driving style after some years, it`s like starting LFS all over again. Please understand.

It's easy, even after years of doing it a different way, but you must have faith in yourself. I know you can succeed!

Quote from The Very End :
...we should keep the old system where everyone should be allowed to play with the veiw they want.

But I don't like everyone being able to use those other views in a race. I like the idea that all racers in the race are on even footing as far as what they can see is concerned. I wouldn't care if every view was forceable. It isn't about what I prefer to use, it's about making the racing more fair and equal. Coincidentally, I (and about 8 out of ten other people) prefer cockpit view. I suppose that's a better outcome for me than it is you, but the change isn't malicious. This option is useful to me and I'm glad it has been included. I hope to see more server-side forced options in the future.
I haven't tried X10 yet, but does that forced cockpit view mean that I have to use LFS's default and unrealistic cockpit view or can I use custom viewpoint inside a cockpit? Added few of my examples.

It seems that hotlapping is the only thing that keeps me not leaving LFS; and no LX competition either. This is truly a sad day for me .
Attached images
MRT5.jpg
lala.jpg
Nice add to leagues SCAWEN the FOV
Quote from Doorman :No. Just adjust your FOV in or out till you see the dials. You may have to cast your eyes down to see them but if you disable the wheel/driver there is no impediment.
EDIT: Have you cropped those images?
THIS is what I see on a 22" widescreen 63° fov

No, they were dowsized though, originally 3840x960. Tons of width but very little height, hence even with 100 deg FOV I can't see the dash in cockpit view. I'm not running a widescreen moniter, but three 4:3 monitors in a row.

Although, having just checked, and things weren't quite as bad as I made out. The normal in-car view had a seperate FOV setting, which was only set to 90 deg. Putting it up to 100 as well made them more similar (I can now see the very top of the dials).

Fixed example screenies:
LX4 in-car
LX4 custom (still in-car)

The LX is one of the worst cars, in many cars I don't need to adjust the camera at all. The MRT is worst though, I can't see anything of the car with the standard camera. Overall it's liveable but I'd still prefer "force in-car view" to allow similar custom camera positions.
This thread is closed

S2 Patch X10
(314 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG